original  [SLOG! SLOG! SLOG! SLOG!]
2nd [new classes, races, lore and legal issues]
3rd [Abort/Retry?]
3.5 [proper patch]
Pathfinder
4e [totally not tabletop WoW]
5e [streamlined]/[I want my immunities and floating modifiers back!]

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: D&D Pathfinder  (Read 2363 times)

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • Older than Moses
Re: D&D Pathfinder
« Reply #100 on: 10 Oct 2018, 22:40 »

So my players wrapped up the hunt for the Cult of Asmodeus they had been after for a while, and it was a pretty fun fight of PCs vs anti-PCs... Surprising that my players didn't understand the lead bad guy, a warlock, casting Armor of Agathys on himself right before the barbarian laid into him. Double surprising since the barbarian usually plays a warlock/monk/rouge hybrid class.... Those who don't play 5e, Armor of Agathys is a pretty standard Warlock spell that gives them temporary hit points and anybody who attacks them in melee is hurt for the same amount... So all the barbarian succeeded in doing was hurting himself.

Still, fun fight, they saved the kids that were kidnapped and in general it was a success all around. So they head off to the next city, the capital of the region to talk to the Baron about the brewing war and other issues. I had planned that while travelling they were going to be interrupted by my special Halloween scenario on the road. However I made the mistake of including airship travel in the game. When the players complained that it would take a week to get to Edelsburg, I reminded them they could just fly there... so they did, effectively skipping the entire adventure.  :roll:

But that's okay, I've got a plan in place to get them involved in it anyway. I'm not going to let such a little thing get me down.  :-D

Gyrre

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #101 on: 11 Oct 2018, 20:53 »

"ALL ABOARD!"
*CHOO-CHOO*

jk jk
Absolutely nnothing wrong with a bit of railroading now and again. Lord knows my group needs it from time to time.
I'm not up to anything shady. I just think that my government doesn't need to know every little thing I do.

Great comeback:
Sorry, I haven't taken enough blows to the head for your argument to make sense.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • Older than Moses
« Reply #102 on: 12 Oct 2018, 03:45 »

I present my players with opportunity. If they choose not to take them, that's fine.... I just move those opportunities around or reuse them for later. :) In this case though I want to use this adventure right now since it's a ghost story I wrote specifically for Halloween. So I really only have one more session I can do it in. And honestly it's my own fault for opening my mouth and bringing up airship travel when they were already planning on walking/riding there.

I try to avoid railroading my players when possible and especially making it so obvious. Instead I set up several potential plot threads and see which one the players are following, to develop that further. Then I decide what happened in the thread they didn't follow. Case in point: The campaign started off with the players chasing down a bounty on goblins who had been raiding a nearby farming village. They discovered that the goblins were a lot more organized than usual, and that it was a distraction from a larger planned attack to the north. So they could have chosen to go north to try and head that off.

But there was also issues to the south, towards the capital. A cult of Asmodeus that tied into a couple players backstories, and another player who was hunting a thief who had made off with her clan's (dragonborn) eggs. As well as there was some suspicion that the Baron might be behind the goblin attacks some how. After a lot of argument and threatening to split the party up, they decided to go south and send a messenger north. Having finally dealt with the cult this week, they continued on to the capitol chasing after the wizard the egg-stealing rogue claims to have been working for. Once there they found a large force of soldiers flying north and were informed that a small army of goblinoids attacked a village to the north. Thanks to warnings they got, they were barely able to withstand the initial attack. The troops were going to reinforce the north. But there is also an army of undead coming over the mountains to the south. Sending the troops north leaves the capitol of Edelsburg undermanned.....

Gyrre

« Reply #103 on: 14 Oct 2018, 19:55 »

I'm writing that down. Railroading can be pretty unfun (especially with certain types of players).
I'm not up to anything shady. I just think that my government doesn't need to know every little thing I do.

Great comeback:
Sorry, I haven't taken enough blows to the head for your argument to make sense.

Gyrre

« Reply #104 on: 14 Oct 2018, 20:01 »

Guess who's got two thumbs and totally forgot to have his character buy rations before the party headed off into the desert? This guy *kicks self*

The DM was even nice enough to let me roll a straight Wisdom check to see if Po would think of it. I got a 2. I can get nat20s for Po to determine that his ditchweed is cut with hay, but he forgets to bring friggin rations into the desert! Thankfully we just hit level 4, so I'm taking the Survivalist feat. I guess if the caravan gets attacked by giant scorpions or whatever, he'll be making jerky with it.

Great comeback:

hedgie

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Can't be buggered at all
« Reply #105 on: Yesterday at 09:42 »

So the previous session had ended with the start of combat with super-sp00ky chained undead thing (the GM loves to end things on a cliffhanger like that), and hilariously, the "oh shit, we're fucked" was over quickly.  There was all this build up to this fast as fuck undead thing attacking with (5?) chains, trying to possess the necromancer,[1] and after that failed, he started lashing out at anything that looked like a threat.  Thankfully, it was over before I cast anything, so I was being ignored.  But as soon as the necromancer acts she attempts to control it (she has had amazing luck so far with these big nasties).  I'm pretty sure the GM only needed to roll above a "1" in order to successfully save…

So yeah, next thing we know, we're interrogating the "final boss" of the castle.  Obviously, he's furious about being controlled and being as evasive as fuck, so even with the unholy compulsion controlling him, he was being as evasive as fuck, hoping to lead us to our doom by omission or ambiguity.  Doesn't help that he repeatedly pointed out that he'd probably break free the next day, and make our lives miserable and quite a bit shorter if we were still in the castle.  This whole process takes about two hours, both in real life and in-game time, but we're able to get quite a bit of information.  I had surmised that he was bound specifically to the fireplace he was hanging on chains over, but had knowledge of other goings on in the castle, and could BRIEFLY (like maybe for a round or so) move from his fixture to fuck things up.

He was the lieutenant of a historical villain whose stuff we were there to pinch (as well as the weapon that killed his master)[2], as well as the nature and location of the beings (rather than items) that we'd have to destroy within 24 hours of each other[3] to have a chance of killing him.  He seemed to not mind us planning on killing the devil, since it was looting the place of his master's stuff.  Only problem is due to bad knowledge roles, even my hell-spawned (before being redeemed) imp could only surmise that it must be from one of the really deep pits, since it had never heard of that type before.  The devil was almost certain to have knowledge of the weapon's location, although the latter is probably in the dragon's hoard.  Reason why we decided to go after the devil is that it'd be easier to get to the dragon without having to deal (much) with chain-boy if we had to leave the castle to rest and then return.

Since only the necromancer can ask the questions, the rest of us are either shouting to her what to ask (and she often rolls her eyes at this), or engaging in a bit of side-RP.  At which point, the /other/ cleric decides to spill the beans as to what exactly was in the stew that the orcs gave us, namely zug-zug (or whatever the orc leader's gf's name was.  My character would be racist enough to not care about her name).  Thank the gods for the decanter of endless whisky and drinking to forget.

So onward and upward in the tower, we encounter a nightmare while checking out some of the rooms (it wasn't in them, but it was running through the corridor).  With this group, even down two players, it was nothing but an inconvenience that quickly dropped dead to the ground.[4]  Proceeding, we get lavish descriptions of rooms picked clean of anything, save some old wine that is probably vinegar by now, and an infernal glaive, both of which went into bags of holding.  We step out onto the balcony and 4-armed gargoyles are swooping down screeching.  The damned dwarf decides to throw the door open to engage them.  Thankfully, he and the other tank are able to form a wall pretty quickly, and between my black tentacles and sleep ability, they're effectively crowd-controlled.  3/8 are killed, and the other 5 fly off to avoid the tentacles.  Wrong door in any event.  We finally make it to the proper one, and there's a causeway to the tower.  We're pretty damned sure that the remaining gargoyles would try to knock down anyone walking across off so that they'd take a nasty fall and have to try to climb back up.  So we come up with a cunning plan (or so we think).  Even worse, on the other side were quite a imps lurking invisibly.

Plan:  I summon as many vulpinals[5] as I could in one casting (3), so they can run across invisibly and start indiscriminately start smiting, while the good cleric has illusions of vulpinals go right ahead of them.  at the same time, everyone with a ranged attack would have readied actions to deal with the gargoyles.  So far, so good.  The vulpinals run across, and the gargoyles dive at the decoys, only for one to fall asleep on the job and the another to end up with some new ventilation in its body.  The fox-men do their smiting together, and all the imps fall to the ground dead.  At which point, one of the vulpinals points out that the imps fell dead instead of disappearing as they returned to their home plane.

Shit.  This is a bit of a spanner in the works.  Summoned creatures are trapped in this roach motel by the same magic that keeps me from simply teleporting out.  Shoulda thought of that.  Also, with a bit of planar knowledge, we realise that their souls would probably be devoured by the place once the spell's duration runs out (in its words, "things would go a bit wonky").  As this is happening, we kill/put to sleep all remaining gargoyles save one, but one of the clerics and two of the vulpinals get knocked off the causeway.  The cleric is able to control one long enough to get her back up as the vulpinals climb back up, but it's free right as I'm making a dash across, and knocks off most of my bonus health.

I burn both of my fly spells on vulpinals and instruct them to carry their friend out of the castle's influence so they can go home safely.  Only problem now is that I've burnt all my "get me the hell out of here" spells, save for the rather costly limited wish.  Still, sending them off to safety was a good RP moment for me.[6]  We magic a hole into the tower's wall (the door was locked), and devils attack, end of session.

Despite being down two of our top dps, we came through this pretty well, without wasting many resources like spells or limited-use abilities, and the missing people will be back next session, so we'll be at full strength.  Only downside is that now I have 2 prepared summon spells that I dare not use, so my spell list is a bit more limited than I'd prefer.  The good thing is that I still have all of my seventh-level spells, and all of my counterspelling ability.  In all probability, once things start, I'll buff my AC, then start trying to put things to sleep, since the latter doesn't use any resources.

[1] We'd have been hurt pretty bad if he had, between her spellcasting/cleric abilities and her crit-monster of a pet

[2] The weapon bit might pose a bit of a problem.  I believe that Marley's ghost said quite specifically that the pally's holy weapon was a longsword.  If you may recall, my squishy caster with combat penalties due to low strength is the only one in the group who can wield the far lesser holy longsword we have now.  Either the gunslinger will have to get hit with an atonement and do some penance or something, or the rogue will have to burn a feat to take the proficiency.  unless I cast certain buffs on myself, I'm unlikely to hit anything more aggressive than a sleeping cow.

[3] A lich, a dragon, a devil, and some skeleton warrior

[4] And neither of us casters got *that* hint.

[5] Extraplanar little fox people who have a nice AoE smite evil ability, and are happy to charge into combat against things like devils

[6] I wish that they wouldn't have been eaten had the spell run out and just be stuck and uncontrolled.  it'd really give me a reason to take the "leadership" feat at next level and keep one as a companion.
"A person who may charitably described as 'not entirely a waste of resources, but mostly so.'"  -- Momo

"Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, 'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!"  -- The Pythons
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up