original  [SLOG! SLOG! SLOG! SLOG!]
2nd [new classes, races, lore and legal issues]
3rd [Abort/Retry?]
3.5 [proper patch]
Pathfinder
4e [totally not tabletop WoW]
5e [streamlined]/[I want my immunities and floating modifiers back!]

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: D&D Pathfinder  (Read 3695 times)

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • Older than Moses
Re: D&D Pathfinder
« Reply #100 on: 10 Oct 2018, 22:40 »

So my players wrapped up the hunt for the Cult of Asmodeus they had been after for a while, and it was a pretty fun fight of PCs vs anti-PCs... Surprising that my players didn't understand the lead bad guy, a warlock, casting Armor of Agathys on himself right before the barbarian laid into him. Double surprising since the barbarian usually plays a warlock/monk/rouge hybrid class.... Those who don't play 5e, Armor of Agathys is a pretty standard Warlock spell that gives them temporary hit points and anybody who attacks them in melee is hurt for the same amount... So all the barbarian succeeded in doing was hurting himself.

Still, fun fight, they saved the kids that were kidnapped and in general it was a success all around. So they head off to the next city, the capital of the region to talk to the Baron about the brewing war and other issues. I had planned that while travelling they were going to be interrupted by my special Halloween scenario on the road. However I made the mistake of including airship travel in the game. When the players complained that it would take a week to get to Edelsburg, I reminded them they could just fly there... so they did, effectively skipping the entire adventure.  :roll:

But that's okay, I've got a plan in place to get them involved in it anyway. I'm not going to let such a little thing get me down.  :-D

Gyrre

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #101 on: 11 Oct 2018, 20:53 »

"ALL ABOARD!"
*CHOO-CHOO*

jk jk
Absolutely nnothing wrong with a bit of railroading now and again. Lord knows my group needs it from time to time.
I'm not up to anything shady. I just think that my government doesn't need to know every little thing I do.

Great comeback:
Sorry, I haven't taken enough blows to the head for your argument to make sense.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • Older than Moses
« Reply #102 on: 12 Oct 2018, 03:45 »

I present my players with opportunity. If they choose not to take them, that's fine.... I just move those opportunities around or reuse them for later. :) In this case though I want to use this adventure right now since it's a ghost story I wrote specifically for Halloween. So I really only have one more session I can do it in. And honestly it's my own fault for opening my mouth and bringing up airship travel when they were already planning on walking/riding there.

I try to avoid railroading my players when possible and especially making it so obvious. Instead I set up several potential plot threads and see which one the players are following, to develop that further. Then I decide what happened in the thread they didn't follow. Case in point: The campaign started off with the players chasing down a bounty on goblins who had been raiding a nearby farming village. They discovered that the goblins were a lot more organized than usual, and that it was a distraction from a larger planned attack to the north. So they could have chosen to go north to try and head that off.

But there was also issues to the south, towards the capital. A cult of Asmodeus that tied into a couple players backstories, and another player who was hunting a thief who had made off with her clan's (dragonborn) eggs. As well as there was some suspicion that the Baron might be behind the goblin attacks some how. After a lot of argument and threatening to split the party up, they decided to go south and send a messenger north. Having finally dealt with the cult this week, they continued on to the capitol chasing after the wizard the egg-stealing rogue claims to have been working for. Once there they found a large force of soldiers flying north and were informed that a small army of goblinoids attacked a village to the north. Thanks to warnings they got, they were barely able to withstand the initial attack. The troops were going to reinforce the north. But there is also an army of undead coming over the mountains to the south. Sending the troops north leaves the capitol of Edelsburg undermanned.....

Gyrre

« Reply #103 on: 14 Oct 2018, 19:55 »

I'm writing that down. Railroading can be pretty unfun (especially with certain types of players).
I'm not up to anything shady. I just think that my government doesn't need to know every little thing I do.

Great comeback:
Sorry, I haven't taken enough blows to the head for your argument to make sense.

Gyrre

« Reply #104 on: 14 Oct 2018, 20:01 »

Guess who's got two thumbs and totally forgot to have his character buy rations before the party headed off into the desert? This guy *kicks self*

The DM was even nice enough to let me roll a straight Wisdom check to see if Po would think of it. I got a 2. I can get nat20s for Po to determine that his ditchweed is cut with hay, but he forgets to bring friggin rations into the desert! Thankfully we just hit level 4, so I'm taking the Survivalist feat. I guess if the caravan gets attacked by giant scorpions or whatever, he'll be making jerky with it.

Great comeback:

hedgie

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Can't be buggered at all
« Reply #105 on: 21 Oct 2018, 09:42 »

So the previous session had ended with the start of combat with super-sp00ky chained undead thing (the GM loves to end things on a cliffhanger like that), and hilariously, the "oh shit, we're fucked" was over quickly.  There was all this build up to this fast as fuck undead thing attacking with (5?) chains, trying to possess the necromancer,[1] and after that failed, he started lashing out at anything that looked like a threat.  Thankfully, it was over before I cast anything, so I was being ignored.  But as soon as the necromancer acts she attempts to control it (she has had amazing luck so far with these big nasties).  I'm pretty sure the GM only needed to roll above a "1" in order to successfully save…

So yeah, next thing we know, we're interrogating the "final boss" of the castle.  Obviously, he's furious about being controlled and being as evasive as fuck, so even with the unholy compulsion controlling him, he was being as evasive as fuck, hoping to lead us to our doom by omission or ambiguity.  Doesn't help that he repeatedly pointed out that he'd probably break free the next day, and make our lives miserable and quite a bit shorter if we were still in the castle.  This whole process takes about two hours, both in real life and in-game time, but we're able to get quite a bit of information.  I had surmised that he was bound specifically to the fireplace he was hanging on chains over, but had knowledge of other goings on in the castle, and could BRIEFLY (like maybe for a round or so) move from his fixture to fuck things up.

He was the lieutenant of a historical villain whose stuff we were there to pinch (as well as the weapon that killed his master)[2], as well as the nature and location of the beings (rather than items) that we'd have to destroy within 24 hours of each other[3] to have a chance of killing him.  He seemed to not mind us planning on killing the devil, since it was looting the place of his master's stuff.  Only problem is due to bad knowledge roles, even my hell-spawned (before being redeemed) imp could only surmise that it must be from one of the really deep pits, since it had never heard of that type before.  The devil was almost certain to have knowledge of the weapon's location, although the latter is probably in the dragon's hoard.  Reason why we decided to go after the devil is that it'd be easier to get to the dragon without having to deal (much) with chain-boy if we had to leave the castle to rest and then return.

Since only the necromancer can ask the questions, the rest of us are either shouting to her what to ask (and she often rolls her eyes at this), or engaging in a bit of side-RP.  At which point, the /other/ cleric decides to spill the beans as to what exactly was in the stew that the orcs gave us, namely zug-zug (or whatever the orc leader's gf's name was.  My character would be racist enough to not care about her name).  Thank the gods for the decanter of endless whisky and drinking to forget.

So onward and upward in the tower, we encounter a nightmare while checking out some of the rooms (it wasn't in them, but it was running through the corridor).  With this group, even down two players, it was nothing but an inconvenience that quickly dropped dead to the ground.[4]  Proceeding, we get lavish descriptions of rooms picked clean of anything, save some old wine that is probably vinegar by now, and an infernal glaive, both of which went into bags of holding.  We step out onto the balcony and 4-armed gargoyles are swooping down screeching.  The damned dwarf decides to throw the door open to engage them.  Thankfully, he and the other tank are able to form a wall pretty quickly, and between my black tentacles and sleep ability, they're effectively crowd-controlled.  3/8 are killed, and the other 5 fly off to avoid the tentacles.  Wrong door in any event.  We finally make it to the proper one, and there's a causeway to the tower.  We're pretty damned sure that the remaining gargoyles would try to knock down anyone walking across off so that they'd take a nasty fall and have to try to climb back up.  So we come up with a cunning plan (or so we think).  Even worse, on the other side were quite a imps lurking invisibly.

Plan:  I summon as many vulpinals[5] as I could in one casting (3), so they can run across invisibly and start indiscriminately start smiting, while the good cleric has illusions of vulpinals go right ahead of them.  at the same time, everyone with a ranged attack would have readied actions to deal with the gargoyles.  So far, so good.  The vulpinals run across, and the gargoyles dive at the decoys, only for one to fall asleep on the job and the another to end up with some new ventilation in its body.  The fox-men do their smiting together, and all the imps fall to the ground dead.  At which point, one of the vulpinals points out that the imps fell dead instead of disappearing as they returned to their home plane.

Shit.  This is a bit of a spanner in the works.  Summoned creatures are trapped in this roach motel by the same magic that keeps me from simply teleporting out.  Shoulda thought of that.  Also, with a bit of planar knowledge, we realise that their souls would probably be devoured by the place once the spell's duration runs out (in its words, "things would go a bit wonky").  As this is happening, we kill/put to sleep all remaining gargoyles save one, but one of the clerics and two of the vulpinals get knocked off the causeway.  The cleric is able to control one long enough to get her back up as the vulpinals climb back up, but it's free right as I'm making a dash across, and knocks off most of my bonus health.

I burn both of my fly spells on vulpinals and instruct them to carry their friend out of the castle's influence so they can go home safely.  Only problem now is that I've burnt all my "get me the hell out of here" spells, save for the rather costly limited wish.  Still, sending them off to safety was a good RP moment for me.[6]  We magic a hole into the tower's wall (the door was locked), and devils attack, end of session.

Despite being down two of our top dps, we came through this pretty well, without wasting many resources like spells or limited-use abilities, and the missing people will be back next session, so we'll be at full strength.  Only downside is that now I have 2 prepared summon spells that I dare not use, so my spell list is a bit more limited than I'd prefer.  The good thing is that I still have all of my seventh-level spells, and all of my counterspelling ability.  In all probability, once things start, I'll buff my AC, then start trying to put things to sleep, since the latter doesn't use any resources.

[1] We'd have been hurt pretty bad if he had, between her spellcasting/cleric abilities and her crit-monster of a pet

[2] The weapon bit might pose a bit of a problem.  I believe that Marley's ghost said quite specifically that the pally's holy weapon was a longsword.  If you may recall, my squishy caster with combat penalties due to low strength is the only one in the group who can wield the far lesser holy longsword we have now.  Either the gunslinger will have to get hit with an atonement and do some penance or something, or the rogue will have to burn a feat to take the proficiency.  unless I cast certain buffs on myself, I'm unlikely to hit anything more aggressive than a sleeping cow.

[3] A lich, a dragon, a devil, and some skeleton warrior

[4] And neither of us casters got *that* hint.

[5] Extraplanar little fox people who have a nice AoE smite evil ability, and are happy to charge into combat against things like devils

[6] I wish that they wouldn't have been eaten had the spell run out and just be stuck and uncontrolled.  it'd really give me a reason to take the "leadership" feat at next level and keep one as a companion.
"A person who may charitably described as 'not entirely a waste of resources, but mostly so.'"  -- Momo

"Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, 'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!"  -- The Pythons

Gyrre

« Reply #106 on: 24 Oct 2018, 07:26 »

I'm sure I've said it before, but I'll say it again. Hedgie, you should definitely wwrite a book based on this campaign. Maybe in the style of your character's journal entries or telling the story at a tavern? Just be sure to credit the DM as co-author.

I'm kind of jealous, actually. The things I have a few things to report/recount mostly aren't as exciting.

While riding the cart, Po noticed some vultures flying overhead. Suddenly realizing he hadn't gotten rations before leaving town, he opted to cuck a javelin at one. Turns out they were giant vultures. The party managed to take down all 5 with only poor Dobby[1] getting hurt. Our arcanist, Prof Cerulean, decided to extract as much water as possible from 4 of them, and we roasted the 5th one and split it with the mercs giving us a ride. Dobby made himself a shade/cape by hacking off one of the giant vulture wings.

A ways on down, the blood hunter spotted some poor bastard stumbling along the dunes. He looked pretty far gone and when Prof Cerulean got a good look at him, she actually recognized the bit of nastiness going on [2]. Apparently this guy had been afflicted by some sort of necromantic condition that makes all of one's blood flow along a single path close to the surface of the skin in a fashion that resembles a snake. Upon mercy killing him and everyone deftly avoiding necrotic damage from the AoE blood splatter explosion, Prof Cerulean noticed that the guy's spinal column was still writhing around. She picked it up with a dagger and very narrowly avoided its needle-like stinger being stabbed into her arm. We all ganged up on this thing to kill it safely and to note to kill anyone else  with the 'blood snake' contagion from afar. Preferably with fire.

After that, we got dropped off at the weretiger village by the mercs as we'd arranged. Po (of all characters) got a fair amount of info while sharing some "magically suspicious"[3] "herbs" with a were-tiger herbalist named Shaggy. He found out that those weird homebrew humanguised mimics are called "man-walker mimics" and they were indeed created by the proverbial wizard. This one made them to serve as his raiding party to retrieve supplies and components for him. He's also rumored to be operating out of a 'City of Ruins'. Also, that the glowy blue cube trinket he has may or may not be full of stars (he was pretty high). Interestingly, he rolled a high enough intelligence check to actually remember the view of the planets and the galaxy he got.

And then Po almost died thanks to a nat1 on his next Con save. He started having a bad trip that the cube was eating him. A failed Dex save and two failed strength saves to try to break the grapple, one while raging, followed by 2 failed death saves. Three rounds of damage, 36 24 38, all of it psychic because it was all in his head. Thankfully, the totally baked weretiger got a nat20 on realizing that Po was in a bad way and got him so smelling salts.

After talking to the tribe's alchemist, we trekked over to our first 'oh no' spot and found where most of the missing children were. Dobby decided to hitch a ride on the 'demon child' when it walked over him in the cave we found. Dobby then decided to find out just what the demon child was and peeked under it's robes and rags. After finding out that the metal legs were fused to her spine, Dobby found out that the demon child only had one leg left and was a girl. And then Dobby was flung across the cave and told that if he wanted to continue living he wouldn't ever do that again. Dobby apologized and asked what was at the end of the cave. "Death."

So , Esa[4] and Prof Cerulean decided to disguise themselves aas kids and try to find out what was at the end of the cave. After finding a door, they safely opened it and found most of the missing children.  Also, it turns out that the 'demon child's name is Zero. They then found out that  (of course) the kid we were hired to find wasn't there. They had run him off "because he was weird".  Other than that, Esa and the professor found that the kids were getting survivalist and military training from Zero, along with learning basically how to run their own little society.

[1] Po's other little green friend and our goblin rogue.
[2]Turns out she's way older than she looks. She's met primordial humans.
[3] Our alchemist's own words. BTW, it's called "pot of gold" and the weretiger alchemist helped Shaggy make it.
[4] Our cleric, a fallen Aasimar.

Great comeback:

hedgie

« Reply #107 on: 24 Oct 2018, 16:08 »

Thing is that the campaign is based off of one of the Pathfinder adventure paths (Curse of the Crimson Throne), so there's quite a bit of Paizo's IP in there.  Granted, we've faced quite a bit of custom content (due to our penchant for running things off the rails and to help level/gear us for what we're facing (and we're still under-geared for lvl 14, IMO), but there's still a *lot* of copyrighted stuff.  I'm content just sharing the stories here and IRL with other tabletop gamers for their enjoyment.
"A person who may charitably described as 'not entirely a waste of resources, but mostly so.'"  -- Momo

"Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, 'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!"  -- The Pythons

Gyrre

« Reply #108 on: 24 Oct 2018, 17:31 »

Thing is that the campaign is based off of one of the Pathfinder adventure paths (Curse of the Crimson Throne), so there's quite a bit of Paizo's IP in there.  Granted, we've faced quite a bit of custom content (due to our penchant for running things off the rails and to help level/gear us for what we're facing (and we're still under-geared for lvl 14, IMO), but there's still a *lot* of copyrighted stuff.  I'm content just sharing the stories here and IRL with other tabletop gamers for their enjoyment.

Oh. Ja, that'd probably cause some problems and complications.

If you really wanted to, you could approach Wizards of the Coast and Paizo about doing a licensed book.

Great comeback:

Gyrre

« Reply #109 on: 24 Oct 2018, 17:40 »

BTW, I was looking through pics of IRL turtles to try to figure out what  Tato Po would look like, when it dawned on me that Po's draconic ancestry would basically make him look like Tokka from Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

More specifically, Phill Gonzo's rendition with boardshorts, a dragon tail, nubby horns, and half-lidded eyes.
(click to show/hide)

Great comeback:

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • Older than Moses
« Reply #110 on: 24 Oct 2018, 21:08 »

Well, I ran my Halloween Special tonight and it was glorious and well loved by the party. A hunter reported being attacked by a ghost in the woods nearby and the local baron asked them to investigate and put a stop to this. Loading up on ghost hunting gear (cold iron weapons, bags of salt, vials of holy water) they set off. Finding the abandoned campsite, the bedded down for the night. One the first watch, the dragonborn ranger drifted off as the Alarm spell set up rings out. The ranger started to walk off towards the south, acting strangely. They restrain her and ghostly smoke starts to pour out of her, forming up into a translucent blue woman with no legs and no mouth. She points southward and looks at the group pleadingly before fading away.

Travelling south, the group comes across a small, run down but still occupied house, deep in the woods, dozens of miles from the nearest town. Half the party scouts forward quietly... until the barbarian who can't see in the dark stumbles on a pile of clay tiles in the yard that was being used to patch the roof. From inside the house an old man appears. Spotting the Barbarian and Bard while the elf Ranger hides they get invited inside. This old hermit, Alec Tanner, kindly offers them tea and tells them a tale of how the ghost woman would lure people to their doom, drawing them to a graveyard further south of his house. But his house is protected thanks to warding stones he's set out.

Thanking him and  taking their leave, the two return to the group. After  a little discussion they decide to head south at near midnight. They pass through the ruins of an old and long abandoned town, nothing but foundations and overgrowth left. Coming on a large cemetery that held the remains of generations of townsfolk. In the center of the cemetery is a small structure, and within it they see a flicker of blue light. Coming closer they find it not to be a mausoleum as they suspected at first, but a gazebo. A gazebo made of the bones of dozens of people and creatures. Inside, the flicker of blue. Approaching closer, they attack the gazebo but miss! It responds by shooting razor sharp bone shards in all directions as it's arms start to unfold, claws outstretched.....

The fight begins in earnest! Spells fly and blades sing as they strike against the unholy abomination. It screams out and dozens of zombies start to rise from nearby graves, shambling towards the group. The warforged fighter gets grabbed and stuffed inside the gazebo, bars of bone slamming shut as it pierces him again and again with sharp spurs of bone. The party hacks from without and within as most try to back away from the animated bonezebo to escape the ring of zombies. As it looks like they are going to be overwhelmed, several party members in the single digit hit points and moments from being swarmed and torn apart by the zombies the bard strikes a final blow, causing the monstrosity to shake apart and the zombies drop in place, like puppets with their strings cut.

Gathering their breath the party examines the remains of the bonezebo, finding the capstone skull still pulsing with necromantic energy. Inside they find and destroy the animating crystal, the work of a necromancer. With the destruction of the crystal, the ghostly woman re-appears, along with two others that are just faces, similarly without mouths. The woman points towards the north, back to the hermit's house. Suspecting he may be the necromancer they return in the early, pre dawn hours. They kick over one of the warding stones protecting the house from spirits and a dozen ghosts rush in. The party follows, but too late. When they find the hermit her is held by the ghosts, burning alive with their cold fire until nothing is left by a charred body.

Searching his house, they find a secret door leading to a hidden basement. Inside, they find a shrine to the god of undeath, Vecna. Mounted above the shrine and the shrunken heads of twelve women, their mouths sewn shut. The party takes the heads outside to cremate them as the heads burn, the women are released. Their long silence undone, they thank the party as they disappear, until finally the full ghostly form is the last to go. As she ascends into the dawning sky with the smoke, a single raven feather floats down, as the Raven Queen whisks them away to their proper home in the afterlife.

Searching the home the party discover the necromancer's spellbook and journal. He was far older than he seemed, over a thousand years old. Every century or so he would use his magic to charm some poor girl in a village or city, whisking her away and marrying her, only to later kill her in a ritual so that he could absorb her life, extending his own. He spoke of being annoyed by their screams, so he would sew the women's mouths shut before the ritual. A dozen times he has done this, and he wrote of needing to find a new wife soon. He also wrote that though he lived far away from other people, sometimes the ghosts would draw the curious here, but he would send them to the old graveyard where his creation would kill them, giving him more material to work with.

And so it went, the heroes heading off, after allowing the Brides of the Necromancer their revenge, knowing evil has been destroyed, and their spirits freed. I found it an interesting and fun twist of the idea of a ghost of a jilted lover, and my party had fun. My custom made monster worked out really well and I was pleased that it was able to provide a serious and credible threat to the party. Though I think I should have increased the damage it does when it grabs someone and stuffs them inside. That just came off as weaker than it's normal bashing attacks. And besides that, I've wanted for literally decades to throw a gazebo monster at a party. And it so happens that I had a Halloween decoration that was a gazebo made of skulls and bones...

Gyrre

« Reply #111 on: 25 Oct 2018, 04:37 »

I don't suppose you've shared the Bonzebo's statblock anywhere?

Great comeback:

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • Older than Moses
« Reply #112 on: 25 Oct 2018, 09:11 »

Here it is: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rriFoY4GDW3zZoyp1u3ARX5Zor55b5Xt/view?usp=sharing

I made the page using this resource: http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/ and roughly based it around mimics, the House Hunter monster and skeletons.

To go over it again I'd probably reduce the slam damage to 2d6 and increase the piercing damage of a creature trapped inside to 2d6. While playing it I realize it actually made little sense for the monster to use it's Grab and Stuff attack when it could just do way more damage with four slams. Ironically two of the players were trying to get inside the creature before willingly before it got one with a grab and stuff. Also, not reflected in the stat block but I decided spur of the moment last night that the creature was immune to being flanked. My group loves to use and abuse the flanking rules, but that made no sense in this case because it had arms coming out of all sides and could 'see' all around it with it's blindsight (soul vision).

My party that night was 5 level 3 characters. Fighter, Barbarian, Melee Ranger, Archer Ranger and Bard. I also threw them up against about 20 Shambling Zombies... Like regular zombies but with a move of 15' and 12 HP instead of 22. They were summoned up from the graveyard as a bonus action by the Bonezebo and once it was destroyed they collapsed, like puppets with cut strings.

Gyrre

« Reply #113 on: 25 Oct 2018, 21:07 »

A list of suggested restrictions to pick and choose from to help keep the insanity cap in place while allowing spells like Enlarge Reduce to stack on the same creature:
  • Require multiple spell casters to stack the spell. Pretty much the only one that's mandatory.
  • Require the spell to be cast at higher levels per level of stacking. Each casting would be done at double the previous casting’s spell level. Level 2 slot for the 1st casting, level 4 slot for the 2nd, and capped at a level 8 slot for the 3rd. This helps prevent abusing the stacking.
  • Require harder to aquire additional material components. Maybe rare earth metals, meteoritic dust, or specific monster parts. For example, the Enlarge Reduce spell might require the pituitary gland of a lycanthrope or a Spriggan.
  • Require an intelligence check to cast the stacked spells. They’re messing with someone else’s spell afterall.
  • Disadvantage (or some sort of penalty) on concentration checks for the spellcaster(s) Complex/unstable magic is hard to maintain. I'd even go further and suggest that wild magic users would automatically surge if failing this check or the previously suggested Int check.

if my DM allows this, I can make Po a kaiju (43'4"). He already looks like one.

Great comeback:

hedgie

« Reply #114 on: 04 Nov 2018, 21:33 »

Ninety percent of last night's game ended up being the fight that we were starting at the end of the previous session, but this time with the gunslinger and rogue flying down from the top, and our archer stranded outside[1], as we get attacked by four barbed devils.  As per usual, my initiative as the second-strongest healer is middling at best, and our strongest healer is dead last.  Immediately after entering the room we're all[2] assaulted by magic, forcing a pair of will saves which my pet imp and I easily make, but the rogue predictably fails leaving her useless for the first round.  I felt quite sanguine about our prospects, since even without the NPCs or pets, we had a 2:1 numerical advantage[3].  That first round, the gunslinger knocked one of the flying devils out of the air with some sort of trick shot to the wing, and the skeleton pet, the summoner NPC's eidolon and the dwarf all engaged the foes on the ground in a rather painful fashion, as they impaled anything engaging them in melee.  It is also discovered by a couple of party members that a fifth devil, the one we're supposed to try and get information from was sneaking up behind the gunslinger in his perch under an invisibility spell.  Once she's pointed out, I shout for him to come to me as I prepare a bullet with her name on it[5] and the tank/healy cleric steps up beside me so I can safely hide behind her tower shield as the devil being attacked by the eidelon advances on us. 

Now, due to the vast amounts of booze, some of the details are a little bit fuzzy as to in what order the ensuing events occured, but I shall endeavour to do my best.  Overall, things are going reasonably well in terms of control over the fight, as two of the devils are getting punished, and the one approaching me suddenly "decided" that it was time for a nap.  The only snags were that the evil cleric NPC is getting hit by invisidevil's scythe, our gunslinger gets held on his way to me, and has failed to break out of it for a few consecutive rounds, and both other people with pets are burning some serious magic/abilities to keep said pets from taking a dirt nap.[6] 

Of course, all good things must come to an end.  As the NPC cleric flies away, depriving invisidevil of an immediate target, flying enough to try to "talk" to the held gunslinger and demand his head if he dies, it all starts going sideways.

The devil hits us all with "horrid wilting", described in loving detail by the GM, and if the devil had "detect invisibility" or "true seeing", I would have had to contend with having a dying familiar who needed healing, and being both squishy and seriously hurt, myself.  The whole party has just taken some serious damage, moderated only by a relatively poor roll on the GM's part.  *Almost* everyone who can heal themselves does, and the rogue (who is rather squishy herself) starts floating over to myself and the cleric, who decides to buff herself so that she could actually hit the enemy.[7]  Due to their damage reduction, the barbed devils are taking a while to kill, especially since one ranged character is missing and the other is frozen in place in the air.  Compounding our woes, the next round, a "chain lightening" hits the group, which thankfully, the rogue and my pet manage to avoid entirely.  The necromancer of course, continues to spam a channel to heal herself (she's dhampir) and her pet, I have to drop what I'm doing to cast "heal" on the seriously wounded cleric (who really needs some better dice), and prepare heal the rogue the next round (triage and all), complicating my plans to bring this combat together.  Tired of her one-sided conversation with the gunslinger, the NPC cleric decides to hit the floating gunslinger with a dispel that knocked away the hold, but *also* the magic keeping him aloft, but thanks to the failsafe with that spell, he started drifting slowly to the ground. 

I patch up the rogue the next round, and both the dwarf and skeleton have finally dispatched their respective targets, while the eidelon finally succumbs to the fatal embrace of the barbed devil.  But, now, things are starting to come together as the gunslinger manages to take the special bullet out of my waiting hand.  He chambers a round, focused all his attacks into one nasty shot, which, due to the "named bullet" resulted in an x4 crit and doing what I believe is properly called "a metric fuckton of damage".  I put the other barbed devil to sleep, the summoner casts "haste" on the group, and we begin to focus on the primary target, who our necromancer weakens with a successful enervation.  The flying rogue starts to make her ascent, while those of us who are land-bound begin running up the "stairs" to the top of this tower to engage, while the skeleton starts dispatching the sleeping devils. 

At this point, we're officially in the mop-up stage.  Not only is our primary target weakened, and I ensure that she is blinded too.  Unfortunately, she gets off one final "fuck you" to the one  directly responsible for her sucking chest wound by imprisoning the gunslinger inside a force cage.  Although our goal was to get information from her regarding the McGuffin, she goes down furiously trying to fight.

Well, I suppose with *that* goal thwarted, we start looting, netting a scarab of protection, an icy burst mace, a rod of splendour, and a circlet with the soul of someone trapped inside.  The dwarf (of course), also discovers that the mattress to the bed large enough for Golarion's biggest orgy on record[8] is full of mixed coinage, estimated to value some 30k gp in total value.  He immediately starts making money angels in the pile, and we all discuss the logistics of hauling it out, ending with the conclusion that it is impossible to do so with our current means.  Sorting through the coins to only take the gold and platinum would also take a prohibitively long time.  The rogue starts stuffing her pockets, and the dwarf calls for me to put her to sleep.  I indulge him, primarily because my character has a strong dislike for thieves, but she's quickly nudged awake by the necromancer, who wants none of dealing with gold fever and goes back down to the still controlled big bad to have another conversation.  One other person follows her as the rest of us desperately attempt to quickly sort the coins.  The futility of this exercise is shown by how in an hour, we get a relative pittance.  Even with my pet's help, I'm only able to net about 300gp worth of money, which is more than the others were able to get.  We then retreat to the cave we were hiding in to identify items and plan our next step.

[1] A necessary contrivance to cater to their respective players' abilities to make it.  Since we have such a large group, we don't have to postpone sessions due to absences.

[2] well, aside from our token evil teammate, her pet, and the evil NPCs

[3] I think that the quantity of beer and soju[4] that we had been consuming as we ate dinner probably helped in regards to confidence

[4] Of which, we unfortunately either had too much, or not enough.  Still not sure which.

[5] Well, strictly speaking, and quite thankfully, an actual name isn't needed, one just has to remove all ambiguity as to who it is for.

[6] Although, I suppose that the skeleton is dirt sleep-walking already.

[7] Using a two-handed weapon with one hand is not generally recommended, even when one has the feats to do so, if one wants to hit their target.

[8] Or more likely, one big fucking dragon, considering that some scales were also found on the bed

hedgie

« Reply #115 on: 05 Dec 2018, 14:31 »

Well, I feel bad for not having posted updates for the last two sessions, but the one before last was rather anticlimactic.  We go in to break the second spirit anchor, which turns out to be a big scary dragon… or was rather, prior to it dying rather unceremoniously midway through the first round.  Now, we *were* well-prepared, and spent about half an hour in real time making sure that we had the optimal buffs, it was a little over the top.  That night after I got home, the GM and I agreed to start strictly enforcing the material components of the spell I used, even though they didn't have a GP cost associated with them.  Otherwise, every boss fight will involve me handing a magic bullet to the gunslinger, causing him to deal 7d10+lots damage.

Last week, as the gunslinger and dwarf start cutting up the dragon carcass,[1] the new cleric decided to explore a little before her multitude of buffs wore off.  So she flies up to the next level of the very structurally unsound building, and triggers a fight with a bunch of (mostly) skeletal archers that are able to rip tatters of their rotting flesh from their backs to turn them into paralytic arrows, which quickly incapacitate the rogue.  I catch her with my magic hair, which I then decide to use to lift myself up to the next level so that I can go heal people and deal with this shit that said cleric, and the archer are dealing with.  The boys, of course, keep on cutting up the dragon, which is pining for the fjords.

The cleric is doing admirably as a tank, holding the undead away from the squishy people and smiting while the archer peppers the bastards with arrows.  As I don't want to get myself shot and facing a fort save, my character ducks away and proceeds to vomit up a swarm of army ants, which she directs through an arrow slit to come up after the dead from behind.  The ants do little enough damage themselves (only about 6d6 to each) before achieving the effect of crowd-controlling the undead to fly out of the swarm (chasing my imp back down inside), and spend the next round picking themselves clean of ravenous bugs.

And the dwarf's spell ended up to do fuck all.  The dragon's hoard was in the next room.  The actual ladies in the group were slapping hands with me 'cos I play a girl character who thinks that boys are stupid.  Well, they are.  Thankfully, the gunslinger was smart enough to realise that the whole building was about to crash down on everybody and used the immoviable rods that the dwarf had to shore the things up.

So we go for finding the lich.  The strange thing is that he is behind two spells that keep others out.  We need our necromancer to get in, and get my character, who is one of two people who is actually of a good alignment to get out.  Thing is that to escape this shit, one of us has to remain behind.  My character has to exit to allow others out, so she's safe, but the others... I just hope that it's one of the boys who has to get left out, 'cos boys are stupid.

[1] The former to take all the pieces that are worth money, the latter to use its hide to create a magical treasure map to its hoard
« Last Edit: 06 Dec 2018, 17:56 by hedgie »

Gyrre

« Reply #116 on: 09 Dec 2018, 17:10 »

So....my barbarian suggested that the party go to the Oasis to try to get some relaxation sonce he's been downed multiple times in the last two in game weeks. He's just been killed by the travelocity travel gnome wielding Bad News (621 damage). Our sorcerer revivfied him and now it's our rogoue vs him in the in.

Po has his shield on one side of the sorcerer and himself on the other to keep her safe.

EDIT: BTW, when Po came back up, he shouted "This was supposed to be a relaxing vacation!"

Great comeback:

hedgie

« Reply #117 on: 09 Dec 2018, 19:26 »

It was very relaxing.  He was taking a dirt nap after all.

Gyrre

« Reply #118 on: 10 Dec 2018, 17:30 »

So I was talking to my DM about my backup character, an arcana domain cleric, and I mentioned that the only official D&D deity/god I could find that said anything specifically about arcana or arcane knowledge was Boccob. When I asked if I should pick one of the other gods of magic, he was about to say 'yes' when he got that DM sparkle in his eye. Apparently, Boccob got the title of The Uncaring from those few that would be his clerics because of the crap Boccob has put them through.

Arkin Icewind, an Aasimar of Illuskan descent. He's got silver skin, crystal blue eyes, perfect white teeth, speckled marking all over his body, and his presence calms animals. I decided he'd have a thick Russian/Finnish accent, and a putupon attitude.

EDIT: whoops. Looks like I named him Icewind instead of Frostwind.

It was very relaxing.  He was taking a dirt nap after all.

He was taking a regular nap and got sniped. And now he doesn't have a tail again. Stupid critical injury table.
« Last Edit: 12 Dec 2018, 17:38 by Gyrre »

Great comeback:

hedgie

« Reply #119 on: 10 Dec 2018, 18:53 »

At least it wasn't a result of the Deck of Many More Things…  That thing raised the terror level of one gaming group I was in more than anything else.

Gyrre

« Reply #120 on: 11 Dec 2018, 21:52 »

Since most of the loot locations have been visited and I'm coming in at lvl 7, the DM offered me 8 points to spend on magic items. Common 1pt, uncommon 2pts, rare 3 pts, legendary 4 pts.

If it weren't for the fact that Arkin hops around timelines and planes at Boccob's discretion, it'd probably be a Bad Idea to blow it all on a Sphere of Annihilation and a Talisman of the Sphere. He offered to remove my DIC (diabolically invented concept, effectively unremovable curse) if I sacrificed 3pts on a Rod of Security to put toward part of his specific mission for Boccob (protecting and assisting an NPC). Which would leave me with 5 points. I need to find the rarity of the Necrotic Resistance armors before deciding. I want a Mace of Disruption after all.

At least it wasn't a result of the Deck of Many More Things…  That thing raised the terror level of one gaming group I was in more than anything else.
Very true.

Also, I had a horrifying thought. Boccob is basically The Doctor and Arkin is simultaneously a companion and the sonic screwdriver.

Great comeback:

hedgie

« Reply #121 on: 11 Dec 2018, 20:02 »

He was taking a regular nap and got sniped. And now he doesn't have a tail again. Stupid critical injury table.

Is he blue and think that the tail is "delightful"?

Gyrre

« Reply #122 on: 11 Dec 2018, 20:51 »

Is he blue and think that the tail is "delightful"?
Sadly, not blue. Greenish brown with orange striping (like an ornate box turtle).

Great comeback:

hedgie

« Reply #123 on: 16 Dec 2018, 12:53 »

Oh fuck.  I had typed about six paragraphs and the page crashed.  I really wish that there was a "save" feature here.

Gyrre

« Reply #124 on: Yesterday at 17:26 »

Oh fuck.  I had typed about six paragraphs and the page crashed.  I really wish that there was a "save" feature here.
Ditto.

I managed to actually think to record last night's session as it was getting crazy again. Only 4min 35 sec, though. The game shop was closing so we had to wrap it up midfight against 3 lvl 20s. Turns out we started in a different timeline this time. We're fighting an evil version of our Eldritch knight from before the reset, along with two of our DMs PCs from other games max leveled and evil.

I'll try to remember to convert the sound file and get it posted to soundcloud when I get off work this morning.

Great comeback:

hedgie

« Reply #125 on: Yesterday at 17:43 »

I'm re-writing in a proper text editor, so I should have something up tonight (it's on my other computer, otherwise I'd be working on it now).  The teaser is that two brilliant plans went horribly wrong, and someone booped the wrong thing on the nose (or where its nose *should* be).

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • Older than Moses
« Reply #126 on: Today at 07:11 »

So.... I'm getting ready to start a Starfinder campaign with my group next month, once our Shadowrun campaign comes to a close. Which is just as well, since the three who had never played Shadowrun before found the setting pretty dark and depressing. Which in all honesty, it is. And I've been running the light, 'pink mowhawk' version where they haven't had to deal with betrayal and revenge at every corner... The new game I have planned to be more light hearted. Basically borrowing in tone from shows like Firefly and Cowboy Bebop. The players are going to be owners/crew of a beat up starship with no particular faction affiliation and a desire to keep it that way. Taking jobs where and from whom they can in the interests of staying flying and ahead from those that might be chasing them.

For those that don't know, Starfinder is Pathfinder, in space. Kind of obvious when you think about it. :) It is set in the same multiverse as the Pathfinder one, complete with magic, monsters gods and planes. But time and technology have advanced into the space travel era. So besides elves and goblins you have aliens and ray guns. The classes are all different, and there are new alien races, but the classic races are there as well. It's very much a fantasy game, set in space. System wise, it's something of a bridge between Pathfinder 1 and 2. For those who have seen the playtest stuff for Pathfinder 2, the fingerprints are definitely there showing where some ideas presented in Starfinder have been refined. I imagine a little while after Pathfinder 2 is released, we'll see a Starfinder 1.5 or 2 update.

I'm using the standard Starfinder setting with a few twists, and incorporating things from other games and shows into this. I am going to avoid the 'big two' of Star Trek and Star Wars. But other things like Mass Effect is fair game for mining or straight up lifting.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up