original  [SLOG! SLOG! SLOG! SLOG!]
2nd [new classes, races, lore and legal issues]
3rd [Abort/Retry?]
3.5 [proper patch]
Pathfinder
4e [totally not tabletop WoW]
5e [streamlined]/[I want my immunities and floating modifiers back!]

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: D&D Pathfinder  (Read 7977 times)

hedgie

• Vulcan 3-D Chess Master
  • Can't be buggered at all
Re: D&D Pathfinder
« Reply #150 on: 08 May 2019, 12:46 »

I've been terribly bad at providing updates for the game I'm playing in, so I don't even know why I'm being masochistic enough to be putting things together for starting my own game, with character creation beginning next week.  This forced deadline requires me to do a *lot* of writing between now and then, to at least have a bare outline of various nations/peoples, as well as the main pantheon.  It's fun work, but also a bit tiring at times.

So far, I have four people, with what's looking like a fairly balanced group comp, with an Inquisitor, Bard, Wizard, and some sort of purely martial class.  Ideally, I can find a "real" healer, but just in case, I rolled up an NPC druid with crippling social anxiety (giving me a good excuse for him to remain mostly quiet and have the players lead).
"A person who may charitably described as 'not entirely a waste of resources, but mostly so.'"  -- Momo

"Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, 'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!"  -- The Pythons

Gyrre

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #151 on: 12 May 2019, 19:09 »

Best of luck to you, Hedgie. Here's hoping your campaign doesn't break like ours did.

The game I'd been playing got super broken, so we opted to drop it even though we were in the last boss fight. Suffice it to say our DM was requiring a time rewind as part of defeating the final boss, and the only two PCs that could hit him were the power-gaming munchkineers. My warlock couldn't cast high enough for the boss to fail a save when my Spell Save DC was +16! (We were level 24.)

So, we did the planned DM rotation, and now we're playing the next campaign picking up from those previous two sessions.

Umpen has gone through a few changes as well. He's now a Gloom Stalker so I can avoid any munchkinning to get sneak attack (also it makes more sense). 'Umpen Welber' is now a pseudonym since he's on the run crom that pissed off duergar queen. And, he may be a quarter water genasi to explain the fact that he has dark blue hair and green freckles.
and the universe said you are not alone
and the universe said you are not separate from every other thing

hedgie

« Reply #152 on: 13 May 2019, 18:01 »

Thanks.  Over the weekend, I was able to extend the amount of Lore I've written (excluding the gods) from seven pages to 13, including a "new" race[1].  I still need to add aspects and non-human gods to the pantheon, but I can just write that later this week, and just use what I have as a reference for players.

[1] I never liked drow, so I eliminated them and made the "bad" elves live on the surface and be more Lawful Neutral or Lawful Evil, so they are actually a frighteningly efficient and cohesive empire.  They're still theocratic, but not without good reason.
"A person who may charitably described as 'not entirely a waste of resources, but mostly so.'"  -- Momo

"Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, 'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!"  -- The Pythons

Gyrre

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #153 on: 13 May 2019, 21:48 »

Neat! I still need to make myself sit down and get to the 3rd page.
I think I already posted my tweaks for Kalashtar here. Nope, I haven't.[1]

Also, I've narrowed down real names a fair bit. Velsignar for his first name (nickname is 'Velgar' which sounds a bit like 'Welber'). For surname; I've narrowed it down to Jadetwister, Lapispinner, and Spinalspindel. All three seem to fit someone very loosely based on Ned Kelly. I'm leaning towards the 1st two.

EDIT: I think I'll hang on to Spinalspindel for a dwarven artificer; Soothtooth Spinalspindel. Now I need a given name for a dwarven fighter whose surname is Nickelknuckle.

[1] ‘Half remembered dreams given form and voice.’
'Half remembered dreams given form and reason.’
'Half remembered dreams given form and thought.’

Each would correspond to a subtype of dream; nightmare, premonition, and normal. And, each subtype gets a spell-like racial ability that can be used once per long rest (fear, augery, major image).

Furthermore, the Kalashtar would have some vestigial physical trait(s) that resembled the race of the creature whose dream they came from. A Kalashtar formed from a Tabaxi’s dream might have cat ears or a cat tail the same color as that Tabaxi’s. A Kalashtar formed from an elf’s dream might have ears the exact shape of the elf’s. It might even just be something as simple as sharing the same hair color or having an identical birthmark. Maybe even having vitiligo progressing in the same spots at the same rate.
« Last Edit: 13 May 2019, 23:21 by Gyrre »

hedgie

« Reply #154 on: 15 May 2019, 08:38 »

Nice.  I've hit some speedbumps along the way.  We started character generation last night (a bard and an inquisitor), but lost two players (leaning wizard and a martial class or rogue, respectively).  One 'cos he got sacked from the venue I'll be running from, the other because he decided last minute that he didn't want another game at the moment (and he was leaning rogue or some martial class).  Thankfully, I got someone who wants to fill in the latter role as a physical character, but she's entirely new, so I don't know what else about concept or class yet.  I'll talk to her about different ideas some time, today most likely.

Edit: She just texted me to say magical, so there's a whole fuckton of classes on that spectrum in PF.

Still going to need to put up some new flyers and edit my lore docs for clarity and to clear up some mistakes I made.  Thankfully, the resident lore-junkie is very helpful pointing that stuff out.  When she remarked how well I take constructive criticism, I had to point out that I went to art school for two years.
two  that are leaning barbarian.  also got a half-orc magus (fighter/wizard).  The only drawback is right now, there's no one who is a full caster, save one who is leaning that way.  Even if she doesn't main doing healing, at higher levels, she'll most certainly have to contribute in that regard.

Edit again:  Looks like our last person is going Shaman, so we not only have a full caster, but one likely attached to the life spirit, so a so probably a dedicated healer
« Last Edit: 16 May 2019, 14:06 by hedgie »

Gyrre

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #155 on: 16 May 2019, 17:49 »

I'd offer to join if I were out that way*, but I'm in KCK.

Speaking of character creation, there's a long form questionnaire I came across the other day for helping someone figure out their character's personality and disposition.
100 Warm-up DnD Character Questions.

EDIT: *Granted, I have no idea which way that would be.
« Last Edit: 18 May 2019, 00:41 by Gyrre »

hedgie

« Reply #156 on: 20 May 2019, 21:53 »

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out (both as a player, and a GM)

So, in terms of the game I'm running, what I have officially are human bard, half-elf paladin, wood elf shaman, and shadow elf inquisitor.  One player leaning ranger or monk, and another (who will be able to join later), zen archer.  The shaman's IRL kid will be joining, as well as someone who knows the paladin's player.  No full-arcane casters as of yet, and I hope that one of the two ladies who will be joining will fill that gap.  It looks like there will be a good balance between melee and ranged classes, and nearly everyone will have some casting ability, so I suspect when all gets figured out with buffing and such, I might have to scale up some encounters.

In other news, the game I'm a player in has the rogue as the official butt-monkey.  About two weeks ago, she gets killed immediately by a hostile wish.  This week, it gets weirder.  We have to neutralise a bloat mage (basically Baron Harkonnen with lots of magic), in a popular eating establishment, hopefully without causing casualties.  My witch does *not* like the plan, which involves creating, then making sure that he is dosed by the rogue with an alchemical roofie, then try and lead him "somewhere private", before we either kill him or knock him out.  Not only is she grossed out at the idea of having to flirt with something so loathesome, but because of his power, without wearing any magic gear that'd trip detection.  To her, she'd rather strip nude but with all of the magical protections in place.

Well, things started out pretty well, as the rogue disguised herself as a waitress, but *she* was the one taken to a semi-private dining area to be leched on by his floating fatness.  It turns out, though, that once the sleeping poison had taken effect, a devil possessing the mage left, and he was more or less normal but heavily drugged.  We managed to get him out back, where the actual mage recognised my character, and begged for salvation.  We're able to teleport him to relative safety, but when doing a head count amongst the group, notice that the rogue is missing, as the mage tells his story.  I send my imp to get the priests, while he plane shifts us to fight the devil, presumably in hell.  We end up on the ethereal in the big bad's bedroom instead.

We at least took time to buff, and found the rogue in the buff, getting the slave Leia treatment from the devil that had firmly mind-controlled her.  Her razor whip was nearby, and she and the devil attack the party immediately.  The devil wants to mind-control us all, but most of us have strong will saves, and even the remaining one who doesn't has a high resistance to mind-controlling effects between his intelligent ax and a past encounter with an artifact.  We resist the mind-control attempts by the big nasty.  The rogue is smart enough to not attack the necromancer or her minion, who would have no qualms killing her outright to get her out of the way, but not smart enough to sneak attack me instead of the monk after my attempt to sleep her and the devil failed.  I didn't pull any punches thrge next round, where I just blinded her for 5 min, and took her out of the fight entirely (can't sneak attack when you can't see).  Some barbed devils popped in, but we mostly ignored them (except for healing through the damage they caused and me crowd-controlling).  The main baddie changed tactics and grappled a couple of people to drain the life after them, especially after the gunslinger hit it with my holy sword and pissed it off.  so, the good cleric banishes one devil, I knock another out, and the other two are hit with a retribution hex which bypasses all damage resistance and does half the damage they do right back to them.  I'm almost disappointed that despite crowd-controlling and hexing, that I wasn't directly targeted by anything.  I'd *think* that  this dude would have considered the elf chick who isn't holding a weapon or wearing any armour as a threat, but I guess not.  The monk got pretty hard, and needed to get a "heal" spell from the cleric to avoid dying, but basically by the point where the bastard went back into the mage Harkonnen, the fight was entirely under control.

Now we just need to find a way to get to the mage again, and hopefully not kill him in getting the devil out.

hedgie

« Reply #157 on: Yesterday at 15:56 »

Crap.  I forgot that the one player's daughter is a minor, and technically isn't allowed into the venue where I'll be running, at least at night.  She's really enthusiastic and wants to play a witch (which is a really fun class).  Thankfully, there are a couple of options to include her.

Edit: The larva is allowed in the bar if we need to play there, but we're most likely going to game at the mum's house, where it'll be more quiet and not disrupt other people by taking over the entire upstairs, as well as allowing me to set mood music if needed/wanted.  And those nights, I'll be able to get 2 for 1 pizzas from a place that has good stuff, so that ought to keep the group well-fed.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 20:40 by hedgie »

Gyrre

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #158 on: Yesterday at 20:58 »

Criminy! That's quite the situation to find one's character in. I'm guessing you all managed to break the mind control. Good luck fighting that devil!

BTW, I had settled on 'Jadetwister, but my DM had assigned Lapispinner (just as cool) "for regional purposes", whatever that means. And, he sent me this YouTube link and told me that's roughly what Velsignar hear's when he uses Speak with Animals to talk to whatever is inside the egg. Whatever it is, it's from the Underdark and not an Aboleth. I'm wondering if it's Mothra with the serial number filed off or something else.

EDIT: fair warning, the music does contain segments with high-pitched theramin parts.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 21:05 by Gyrre »

hedgie

« Reply #159 on: Yesterday at 21:10 »

that sounds, well, rather strange.  We didn't really break the mind-control so much as make the devil run off and cancel it.  The blinding was what took her out of the fight entirely.  I'm pretty sure that we'll be better equipped to fight the devil when we have better spells prepared for that ordeal.  Both other casters and I had prepared our spell lists for fighting a human mage, not a fiend from hell, so we were somewhat at a disadvantage.  The only reason that I was personally so successful was because I had the blinding spell prepped to keep him from targeting, and my witch hexes (which are always ready).

Edit:
Then again, healing and crowd-control are what my character does most often in fights. 

WRT the game I'm starting, I didn't count, and let too many people in.  I kinda hope that 1-2 people will be stuck adulting on any given session (I plan on giving collective XP, even to those who aren't there).  Still, it seems as though we have a good mix, but interestingly enough, all but 1 are likely to roll some sort of person with spells.
« Last Edit: Today at 11:53 by hedgie »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up