THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 01:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What should be the topic of Claire's Masters Thesis?

ABC's - An Alternative to the Dewey Decimal System
- 3 (6.3%)
The Smell of Books as Aromatherapy
- 4 (8.3%)
Integrating the AI into Library Systems
- 21 (43.8%)
Puns and the Puerile Librarian
- 9 (18.8%)
Libraries are Serious Business, Yo!
- 7 (14.6%)
Purple Monkey Dishwashers and Spathe Ham (guaranteed winner)
- 0 (0%)
Screw It, I'm letting an AnthroPC do this for me
- 1 (2.1%)
Other (please specify)
- 3 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3811-3815 (20-24 August 2018)  (Read 33273 times)

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
Re: WCDT Strips 3811-3815 (20-24 August 2018)
« Reply #50 on: 21 Aug 2018, 14:28 »

I guess I feel a bit silly for over-analyzing this, but there's something about Marten in this series that just doesn't sit well with me.
He's going to work for Tai at Smif College, a job that he's openly passive about, and yet for some reason he's decided to start dressing up like he's back at the dead-end job we started the entire story with.
Add that to the fact that he's taking on the overly-assertive archetype of a working male who dismisses his partner's CLEARLY STATED DISTRESS. (I'm sorry but any response to "how was your day" other than "fine" or "good" or whatever is a red flag.) He's just not being cool.
There's no need to "engage" Claire at all. Just sit down, shut up, and listen.

Maybe the reason he sees no cause to worry is based on his observation working at SMIF’s library.  Tai doesn’t put all that much effort in and she’s still enrolled.  How can Claire possibly blow this?

brilligtove

• Plantmonster
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #51 on: 21 Aug 2018, 15:57 »

Am I the only one who thought Claire's expression in the last panel meant, "That was exactly the unconditional support I needed"?

I was a bit distracted when reading the strip, and caught exactly 0% of the nuances being discussed here, and 100% caught entirely different meaning from their interaction. For example, it was my second reading - after being primed - that I realized Marten cut her off.

If his mental state is anything like mine, he noticed she was stressed and asked her about it. She said she was ok. He believes in her ability and her self awareness - she didn't become Claire by NOT having a strong sense of herself! He rolled into the apartment in a happy, hungry, distracted haze, (possibly even feeling good about being somewhat uncharacteristically proactive in checking in with his partner) and didn't hear what she was saying - not the words themselves nor the emotions behind them.

Some people who are constantly aware of the emotional landscape around them. I have to pay special attention to notice that people around me have emotions at all. The moms of my daughter and I took a long time to realize that almost everything they say is assumed to include significant interpretation and extrapolation, and almost every noise my CIS man face makes is just what I said and no more. (<aside>Our miscommunications have been quite amusing, in retrospect. "I asked if I could X. You said, 'Go ahead' and then we fought because X meant X to me, but it meant X=y±4a2+3 to you." </aside>)

TLDR Anyhoo, I identify with Marten here.
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

Inconsequential

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #52 on: 21 Aug 2018, 16:49 »

Truly, there was a mighty whoosh here as the clue-merang sailed past Marten.

I suspect there will be a "wait... I missed something here..." moment as the clue-merang comes back around.

Love Claire's "screaming inside" face...

Apropos of nothing, am I the only one waiting eagerly for a glimpse of Faye and Bubbles' heavy duty truck bed?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #53 on: 21 Aug 2018, 17:52 »

Am I the only one who thought Claire's expression in the last panel meant, "That was exactly the unconditional support I needed"?

There was a strip with Clinton in it that introduced that facial expression and assigned its meaning.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #54 on: 21 Aug 2018, 18:29 »

Comic's up! And yes, Pintsize clued Marten in, with his usual subtlety.  8-)

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?
« Reply #55 on: 21 Aug 2018, 18:53 »

There are, indeed, lots of ways to do this job.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #56 on: 21 Aug 2018, 19:52 »

(I'm sorry but any response to "how was your day" other than "fine" or "good" or whatever is a red flag.) He's just not being cool.

This is pretty interesting to me because you are the only one (sorry if I'm wrong and I missed someone's comment) that has framed this discussion around the fact that Claire's statement was made in response to a routine "how was your day" question. My conclusion isn't quite the same as yours, though.

It is true that it is unusual in general for people to respond to that question with anything other than some variation on "fine." It's practically expected that you do so.

But I think that this fact leads to two possible interpretations of any other response, depending on context.

1. It's a dramatic departure from the norm that requires immediate close attention.
2. It's just a more elaborate version of the throwaway response "fine" that requires no more attention than normal.

The reason Marten may have taken the second interpretation would be the fact that Claire has said before that she was stressed, but brushed off Marten's concern on those occasions. So it just seems like more of the same - a throwaway comment as before.

Confession time: I have been guilty more than once of not paying attention when my partner was trying to tell me something, and it has upset her more than once. So I'm very conscious of the problem, but I'm also aware that in a relationship, you aren't normally 100% focussed on your partner at every moment of every day, and you're not necessarily expecting your partner to do that either. Conversations between partners in a relationship vary from throwaway all the way through to matters of the heart, and while you do learn quickly which is which (I'm getting better at knowing what responses to my how-was-your-day greeting deserve a drop-everything-and-listen response), mistakes happen when your head is elsewhere.

I don't think anyone is the devil in this situation. Marten should have listened but I can understand why he didn't this time. He's fallable like all of us. Hopefully this will quickly be sorted out.

Edit: Todays comic - it looks like it will, doesn't it?
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #57 on: 21 Aug 2018, 20:29 »

Go Pintsize.   :-D

I love the last bit. "I just wanted to hit you again."

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #58 on: 21 Aug 2018, 20:30 »

And we know Pintsize isn't a psychopath because it isn't a stainless steel dildo.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

brilligtove

• Plantmonster
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #59 on: 21 Aug 2018, 20:33 »

OMFG URSULA DYING
evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

ihaveavoice

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #60 on: 21 Aug 2018, 23:01 »

Smacking Marten with a dildo - of COURSE this is how Pintsize handles the situation! It's maybe surprising in hindsight how many times we have seen Pintsize not smacking people with dildos.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #61 on: 21 Aug 2018, 23:17 »

3. Based on his history, he'll probably stay there until something energetic forces him to move.

Well, probably not what you were expecting, but hey...

Is anyone else wondering why it's named "Ursula"?

Maybe because it's purple?

« Last Edit: 22 Aug 2018, 05:50 by Carl-E »
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #62 on: 21 Aug 2018, 23:23 »

We all sometimes need a slap upside of the head to kick our brains out of routine. It's just that, in this apartment, the slap is sometimes surprising in its exact nature!

That aside, one of the hardest things for the human mind to handle is an alteration of routine. You do certain things, everyone is okay and you 'rinse and repeat'. Unless you're extra observant, you may completely miss things like your significant other being in actual distress! This is just one of those things and reason why keeping relationships stable and working tends to require constant work.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

cybersmurf

« Reply #63 on: 21 Aug 2018, 23:37 »

(I'm sorry but any response to "how was your day" other than "fine" or "good" or whatever is a red flag.) He's just not being cool.

This is pretty interesting to me because you are the only one (sorry if I'm wrong and I missed someone's comment) that has framed this discussion around the fact that Claire's statement was made in response to a routine "how was your day" question. My conclusion isn't quite the same as yours, though.

It is true that it is unusual in general for people to respond to that question with anything other than some variation on "fine." It's practically expected that you do so.

While you usually wouldn't get a real answer there, especially between strangers, I consider it not just a formality between people who are close (like good friends, family and especially partners).
And even if you just meant it to be a formality, you listen to the answer, especially when it's family friends and partners. Marten didn't listen, otherwise he wouldn't have cut Claire off there and asked about dinner.

Smacking Marten with a dildo - of COURSE this is how Pintsize handles the situation! It's maybe surprising in hindsight how many times we have seen Pintsize not smacking people with dildos.

We all know Marten had a... special relationship with dildos (  https://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1828 )

You definetly want to listen when Pintsize is serious. The alternatives are.... only annoying, if you're lucky.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #64 on: 21 Aug 2018, 23:46 »

While you usually wouldn't get a real answer there, especially between strangers, I consider it not just a formality between people who are close (like good friends, family and especially partners).
And even if you just meant it to be a formality, you listen to the answer, especially when it's family friends and partners. Marten didn't listen, otherwise he wouldn't have cut Claire off there and asked about dinner.

Sure. Please don't misunderstand me. I wasn't saying Marten shouldn't have listened.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

cybersmurf

« Reply #65 on: 21 Aug 2018, 23:53 »

Oh, yeah, it's an easily made mistake. All I'm saying is Marten should be more perceptive with Claire.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #66 on: 22 Aug 2018, 00:03 »

Why "Ursula"? So Pintsize can hit you with his massive bear-cock.
oh god

Drunken Old Man

« Reply #67 on: 22 Aug 2018, 00:15 »

Marten's expression in panel five is the exact expression I have when somebody slaps me in the head with a large dildo.

Also Pintsize is DEAD serious about Marten and Claire's relationship, isn't he?

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #68 on: 22 Aug 2018, 00:20 »

Marten's expression in panel five is the exact expression I have when somebody slaps me in the head with a large dildo.

:-o

I wonder if Marten had a flashback to childhood.  :wink:

Also Pintsize is DEAD serious about Marten and Claire's relationship, isn't he?

He speaks for all of us.  8-)

Oh, yeah, it's an easily made mistake. All I'm saying is Marten should be more perceptive with Claire.

I know what you're saying. Marten should not have made an easily-made mistake. Sure. But he did. So.

Look, this isn't the first time I've said this, and it certainly won't be the last. It's easy for us sitting back reading the comic with our omniscient viewpoints and point out the mistake that a QC character has made in full view of all readers. We can all see that Marten should be more perceptive - it's right there on the page. I would rather delve into why these mistakes happen than preach how he shouldn't have made the mistake.

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #69 on: 22 Aug 2018, 00:41 »

I'm willing to bet that Pintsize will intervene here as well. It would make for a wonderful interaction with Marten which we haven't seen in ages. Like... Pintsize just going "Hey fuckbutt, REALLY listen to her, ok?"
First time I call something. WOHOOO!!!!!  :-D

And we know Pintsize isn't a psychopath because it isn't a stainless steel dildo.
That a George Carlin reference, my friend? I recall he talked about hitting people with them while describing the differences between maniacs and crazy people. :D

Why "Ursula"? So Pintsize can hit you with his massive bear-cock.
Not much of a Disney fan?

derris_kharlan

• Plantmonster
« Reply #70 on: 22 Aug 2018, 02:42 »

To those saying Marten should know better/should have known to listen, I’d like to offer a different perspective.

One of the things people who struggle with anxiety disorders (which Claire may or may not have, she seems pretty high strung about a lot of things though) do is reassurance seeking. Taken in isolation seeking out reassurance when stressed is a perfectly fine and logical approach. Unfortunately when dealing with some kinds of anxiety disorders that behavior goes from reasonable and healthy to obsessive. Though it seems counter intuitive, if you repeatedly give in to the persons demands for constant reassurance it allows them to fall into the same obsessive pattern over and over. One of the things therapists will teach you if you are a friend/loved one of a person who has anxiety disorder is that, as much as you want to, it’s best to not help feed that beast.

While I don’t think that’s the plot line Jeph is going for here with Claire, just realize it’s not always the right thing to do for a person to give in to a partners desire to analyze (often over-analayze) their anxieties. For some of us, the right choice is to give us simple encouragement and NOT dig in. Of course it’s siguational and of course that’s not an excuse to carte blanche ignore a person, but hopefully it’ll help people understand that sometimes the right approach isn’t what we would otherwise assume it to be.

Also, in Martens defense, Claire has completely shut down his efforts in the past to help her on this. We’ve all witnessed her revelation thanks to Pintsize, but it’s not unreasonable for Marten to go by what has been her past behavior.
Shel kek nem ron.

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #71 on: 22 Aug 2018, 03:59 »

There was a strip with Clinton in it that introduced that facial expression and assigned its meaning.
#3773 to be precise.

Annemoon

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #72 on: 22 Aug 2018, 04:38 »

To those saying Marten should know better/should have known to listen, I’d like to offer a different perspective.
Though it seems counter intuitive, if you repeatedly give in to the persons demands for constant reassurance it allows them to fall into the same obsessive pattern over and over. One of the things therapists will teach you if you are a friend/loved one of a person who has anxiety disorder is that, as much as you want to, it’s best to not help feed that beast.

Note: this *is* highly specific per person, in anxiety that is coated with social anxiety that response would be really bad.
In that case you are very hesitant in sharing your actual anxious thoughts and don't let people in this side of you. A brush off when you try to break this circle would be a super strong signal to STOP AND NEVER DO THAT AGAIN.
It has been what I've been dealing with, and to be honest, it seems to strongly resemble the latest behavior of Claire.

I think it's really good pintsize gave him a talking to. Marten means well, but I'm glad for pintsize here.
"science fairy" - cybersmurf

heyjames4

« Reply #73 on: 22 Aug 2018, 04:51 »

3. Based on his history, he'll probably stay there until something energetic forces him to move.

Well, probably not what you were expecting, but hey...

That's about right.

BlueFatima

« Reply #74 on: 22 Aug 2018, 05:12 »

How old is Martin? He looks aged up a bit. Some of that is the way he's dressed, but I'm guessing everyone is a bit older than they used to be.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #75 on: 22 Aug 2018, 05:26 »

Most of the human cast are 25-30 years old.
~~~~

rtmq0227

« Reply #76 on: 22 Aug 2018, 09:03 »

It's interesting that Pintsize has shown a pattern now of changing how he interacts with different characters.  Claire is perhaps the most pronounced example of this, but his "little asshole" routine seems to come right back to the surface when dealing with Martin.  Is his absurdist and crude behavior truly the manifestation of his personality, or is it that he's learned Martin responds better (or rather that he benefits from responding) to that kind of behavior as a foil to Martin's passive straight-man approach to life?

Or am I just talking out of my Cloaca?
The best lore starts as an off-handed comment or joke.

Drunken Old Man

« Reply #77 on: 22 Aug 2018, 10:15 »

It's interesting that Pintsize has shown a pattern now of changing how he interacts with different characters.  Claire is perhaps the most pronounced example of this, but his "little asshole" routine seems to come right back to the surface when dealing with Martin.  Is his absurdist and crude behavior truly the manifestation of his personality, or is it that he's learned Martin responds better (or rather that he benefits from responding) to that kind of behavior as a foil to Martin's passive straight-man approach to life?

I think Pintsize realizes that his asshole persona would likely make Claire shut down worse in this case

rtmq0227

« Reply #78 on: 22 Aug 2018, 13:23 »

I think Pintsize realizes that his asshole persona would likely make Claire shut down worse in this case

That's kinda what I meant.  There's been this generally accepted notion (and then explicitly accepted) that Pintsize wasn't a good match for Martin, and that he wasn't really suited to the companion job.  I think this shows that maybe he was a better match than we give him credit for after all, and isn't all that bad at the companion gig.  That, or he's learned a lot on the job.
The best lore starts as an off-handed comment or joke.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #79 on: 22 Aug 2018, 14:11 »

Just remember one thing about Pintsize.

He is a companion AnthroPC. He presumably went through a complex selection process to make sure he was suitable for the companion program. As we've seen, the matching process Marten went through was badly skewed due to the AI's spider chassis freaking him the fuck out. Pintsize is a poor match for Marten, but that's never meant he's been a poor companion. His acting out has gotten Marten to get out of his shell a little bit and starting a chain effect that has resulted in the Marten we have now.

And bear in mind that Pintsize is insightful. Its just usually hidden in vulgar jokes or wacky antics.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #80 on: 22 Aug 2018, 14:48 »

He is a companion AnthroPC. He presumably went through a complex selection process to make sure he was suitable for the companion program. As we've seen, the matching process Marten went through was badly skewed due to the AI's spider chassis freaking him the fuck out. Pintsize is a poor match for Marten, but that's never meant he's been a poor companion. His acting out has gotten Marten to get out of his shell a little bit and starting a chain effect that has resulted in the Marten we have now.

And bear in mind that Pintsize is insightful. Its just usually hidden in vulgar jokes or wacky antics.

Great, now you've got me wondering what kind of person Pintsize was considered a 'suitable companion' for ...  :x

(click to show/hide)

... the invoice for the cost of the brain-bleach will be mailed to your address, as per usual.
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #81 on: 22 Aug 2018, 14:54 »

Additionally, don't forget that no complex sapient mind is static in its nature. Pintsize has been with Marten for a while. So, no matter his skill-set and suitability when he first started, one imagines that he has adapted to Marten's way of thinking and how best to help him.
~~~~

TheEvilDog

« Reply #82 on: 22 Aug 2018, 16:04 »

Great, now you've got me wondering what kind of person Pintsize was considered a 'suitable companion' for ...  :x

Honestly, I would say someone like Claire, someone who had high levels of anxiety, self doubt and very little confidence. Because that's what the test read in Marten when he signed up for the companion program. Beyond his first meeting with Claire, look at how Pintsize acts around her. Mischievous? Yes, but also able to connect with her that cuts through a lot of the barriers her past has built up. Pintsize is always going to be a trickster mentor archetype, but it seems its Claire with whom he can connect to where she instantly listens.

Something to consider.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #83 on: 22 Aug 2018, 18:39 »

Comic’s up.

All right, it’s clear that Marten screwed up, but I think Claire is a bit out of line here too.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

chris73

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Beep Bop Boop
« Reply #84 on: 22 Aug 2018, 18:58 »

Comic’s up.

All right, it’s clear that Marten screwed up, but I think Claire is a bit out of line here too.

Yeah Claires not making this any easier for Marten is she, those first two panels especially, Martens really having to work hard here.

A lot of the times when I'm talking to my wife she'll zone me out (basically ignore), this normally happens when I get home from work because I'm essentially venting but sometimes she won't listen when I actually have something to say but thats on me for not letting her know when she needs to listen because shes so used to me just usually wanting to vent

Hopefully they'll both learn something from this

Milayna

« Reply #85 on: 22 Aug 2018, 19:03 »

Quote from: Tova
Look, this isn't the first time I've said this, and it certainly won't be the last. It's easy for us sitting back reading the comic with our omniscient viewpoints and point out the mistake that a QC character has made in full view of all readers.

Hmmm, my mode of thinking, especially for situations like this where my knowledge is lacking, isn't really judgmental, you know? Rather I think about what I would say if I were the characters in these situations, and try to use the differences to understand the characters better. So it's not a much "here's what they should have done" but "Here's what's already been done, what should they do next to resolve this?"

Though there are times when responses are so far afield from what I know, that that proves difficult. Like this. So it's great being able to see all the parts that I miss on the forums =)

Milayna

« Reply #86 on: 22 Aug 2018, 19:12 »

Comic’s up.

Oh, yeah, so I'm not the only one? I was with her through the second panel (though that was brave) but I almost cringed at the third panel and had to remember - it's Marten she's being so blunt with, so it's probably fine. Probably best to stop digging by panel 4 though...remember Padma, Marten can get a bit mopey sometimes, and last thing Claire needs is to have this turn around and have to babysit Marten on top of everything. I'm thinking a change of pace, a better dinner than Chinese takeout, let Marten take over some more chores for awhile or help study? You know, just kinda be consistently THERE while she's working to remind her she's not doing it all by herself in order to earn not being alone.

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.
« Reply #87 on: 22 Aug 2018, 19:26 »

If his mental state is anything like mine, he noticed she was stressed and asked her about it. She said she was ok

-- except she didn't. She said, "Well, um, actually I've been really stressed about my exams, and-"

That sentence fragment doesn't even have a "k" in it.

Edit: if you're suggesting because at some point in the past she responded "ok" to being asked how she was that justifies assuming she will remain okay indefinitely thereafter and it's then fine to not pay attention to how she answers a question she's asked...yeah, no, that's not an improvement.

Even if this is the case, I'm decently certain no therapist would tell you a better response would be to cut the anxious person off midway through their first sentence in response to you asking them how their day went. I don't see much support for this perspective in this context.
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #88 on: 22 Aug 2018, 21:05 »

Maybe you should read the entire post and not the snippet you quoted out of its original context.

Edit: Both of them, I should say. I don't think they're saying or even suggesting what you think they are suggesting. Your out-of-context quotes are not cool.

QuestionableIntentions

• Obscure cultural reference
Move this to current WCDT
« Reply #89 on: 22 Aug 2018, 22:01 »

And Marten is the bad guy again, what a surprise.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #90 on: 22 Aug 2018, 23:11 »

In this particular instance (ONLY looking at the "how are you" "I'm stressed and" "oh that's nice you'll be fine" convo), yes, Marten is in the wrong.  That doesn't make him the bad guy.  It doesn't mean that Claire being dismissive of her stress and trying to hide it from him so successfully that when she did change her mind and want to open up Marten wasn't expecting to hear it and made the mistake of blowing it off was right.  She's not the bad guy either.  There are no bad guys here.  There's a person who made a mistake, and a person who wasn't coping with her stress in a healthy way.  Marten apologized because that's who he is, and I expect that when Claire opens up with Marten listening that will include an apology for shutting him out.

(That said, Claire's timing on calling Marten out on the housework he said he'd do and didn't was poor.  That could have waited until later.)

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #91 on: 22 Aug 2018, 23:19 »

I'm wondering how long Claire has been trying to work up the courage to mention the laundry thing? :wink:

Seriously, this is classic Marten. He just likes things being 'okay' and relatively static that I suspect he is subconsciously blind to problems sometimes. It isn't malicious in any way, it's just the way he likes the world and, like all of us, his brain can be slow to respond when his expectations aren't fulfilled.

All that aside, Claire in panels 3 and 4 are the cutest that she's been for a very long while.

My guess? I suspect that we're on the verge of Marten and Claire going on a short holiday of some sort; only a couple of days so that Claire can decompress a bit. My feeling is that she's re-revising out of nervousness and lack of self-confidence. I doubt that there's a need. The cure will be to be somewhere else and thinking of something else for a short while.
~~~~

TheEvilDog

« Reply #92 on: 23 Aug 2018, 00:42 »

Okay, well I'm calling foul on Claire for that first part.

Marten has previously tried to get her to talk about what was stressing her out and she shut that down. As in he tried talking to her and she brushed that off, just as she accused him of doing.

Also, the little dig about the laundry seems rather churlish.

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?
« Reply #93 on: 23 Aug 2018, 00:53 »

I feel like people are attaching more gloom to two imperfect people making mistakes and then talking them out like adults than they should.

Also, the little dig about the laundry seems rather churlish.

I'm pretty certain the dig about the laundry was meant to be in good fun and was taken by Marten as such.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #94 on: 23 Aug 2018, 00:56 »

I'm pretty certain the dig about the laundry was meant to be in good fun and was taken by Marten as such.

I'm not confident it was. I've seen too many of that kind of "little jokes" turn into serious arguments.

But I agree with this sentiment:
I feel like people are attaching more gloom to two imperfect people making mistakes and then talking them out like adults than they should.

Let's just see where this is going.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Drunken Old Man

« Reply #95 on: 23 Aug 2018, 01:09 »

"Talk to me."

"I TRIED talking to you."

"Yes but that was before Pintsize Ursulaed me in he head and straightened me out."

" 'Ursulaed'?"

"Don't ask."

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #96 on: 23 Aug 2018, 01:44 »

...when dealing with Martin.

...he's learned Martin responds better

...as a foil to Martin's passive straight-man approach to life?

Psssst...
It's "MartEn"...
Doesn't exactly bother me, but I've seen people hauled over the coals for continually mis-spelling character names.
(I'm actually surprised no-one's noticed :)  )

;)
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #97 on: 23 Aug 2018, 02:26 »

This arc feels contrived to me. 

And Marten is doing himself no favours by starting with mentioning that he has come because of what Pintsize said...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #98 on: 23 Aug 2018, 02:27 »

(I'm actually surprised no-one's noticed :)  )

I noticed; but these days I tend to wait until I see a clear pattern of repeated errors before bringing it up.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

blt

« Reply #99 on: 23 Aug 2018, 03:48 »

These last two arcs have felt sort of "off" overall.
"I hate Fayelhotehp, She Who Smites the Morning, she's a bully and a monster."
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up