THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Let us stop and consider how normal QC has been and how Fantastic that is.  (Read 4806 times)

fantasticalice

• Plantmonster

Ok so strange topic. But For the last week/ 2 weeks(perhaps even longer) QC has looked on the surface like a normal, humourous and well written slice of life comic.

Except.... the normal couple is still normal but hey Claire is trans and Marten knows and embraces it. The close friend that gives advice... Tai is gay and is dating a bisexual female small business owner.

Going back a little farther we have a big blonde sensitive bi/pan bloke his male crush(who may also be romantically fluid) who has a robot hand and loves his sister to death(and has a awesome protective side too)

I'm reading a perfectly normal slice of life comic fpr the past few weeks and aside from Bubbles bein a robot that was also pretty slice of life stuff. But also my favourite because not on do I know the backstory but I love those two.

My point is is there are people like me. I'm a gay girl I identify as GQ and also find transblokes and GQ folk attractive. I sorta consider myself Bi because although Cis men are not remotely attractive to me I see transblokes as the men they are.

But my convoluted point is that even when the strip steps back from its fascinating AI inhabited world and is "normal" QC being normal is its biggest strength .

I've never enjoyed a 'Slice O Life' comic before. And part of it is Because almost every comic I've run into that is called that doesn't have the depth of diversity that QC now has.

And even before it developed auch a huge cast we had Dora. I may identify as a lesbian but I always relate to characters like Dora and faye because my orientation is fluid. And I also identified as bi for a long time and admire any media that has a well flushed out Bi character. It's like I'm transported to another better world.

I used to think I hated romance stories too. But I love a good romance story. But I only find these things out when the character of whp I am clearly exists in the world I am reading about.

So thank you for letting me feel so relaxed reading QC. When comic and books are done like this it reminds us that not only is this normal.... but that we are normal.

Thank you Mr. Jeph.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

He's put a lot of work into it. I hope he sees your compliment.

Speaking about revealing that Claire is trans, he said
Quote from: Jeph Jacques
“One of the major themes of QC, I think, is of inclusion, and this seemed like a pretty important thing to include. I have given it a lot of thought and done a lot of research, so hopefully I won’t screw up. I’ll do my best, anyway.”
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

dutchrvl

• Bling blang blong blung

Ok so strange topic. But For the last week/ 2 weeks(perhaps even longer) QC has looked on the surface like a normal, humourous and well written slice of life comic.

Except.... the normal couple is still normal but hey Claire is trans and Marten knows and embraces it. The close friend that gives advice... Tai is gay and is dating a bisexual female small business owner.

Going back a little farther we have a big blonde sensitive bi/pan bloke his male crush(who may also be romantically fluid) who has a robot hand and loves his sister to death(and has a awesome protective side too)

I'm reading a perfectly normal slice of life comic fpr the past few weeks and aside from Bubbles bein a robot that was also pretty slice of life stuff. But also my favourite because not on do I know the backstory but I love those two.

My point is is there are people like me. I'm a gay girl I identify as GQ and also find transblokes and GQ folk attractive. I sorta consider myself Bi because although Cis men are not remotely attractive to me I see transblokes as the men they are.

But my convoluted point is that even when the strip steps back from its fascinating AI inhabited world and is "normal" QC being normal is its biggest strength .

I've never enjoyed a 'Slice O Life' comic before. And part of it is Because almost every comic I've run into that is called that doesn't have the depth of diversity that QC now has.

And even before it developed auch a huge cast we had Dora. I may identify as a lesbian but I always relate to characters like Dora and faye because my orientation is fluid. And I also identified as bi for a long time and admire any media that has a well flushed out Bi character. It's like I'm transported to another better world.

I used to think I hated romance stories too. But I love a good romance story. But I only find these things out when the character of whp I am clearly exists in the world I am reading about.

So thank you for letting me feel so relaxed reading QC. When comic and books are done like this it reminds us that not only is this normal.... but that we are normal.

Thank you Mr. Jeph.

Thank you for your comment, it's a great reminder of what QC is all about. :-)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

"Normal" is a really insightful word here.

Jeph's "inclusion" isn't quota filling or ritual posturing. It's full acceptance of people for what they are and what they do. Jim's reaction to a combat robot in a same-sex relationship was neither to other Bubbles nor to deny her identity ("when I look at you I don't see copper" would be denying her identity). He sized her up in terms of whether she was a good influence on his daughter. He looked at her straight and got to the right answer.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Xavier

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

I couldn't agree more. QC has been my favorite comic for a while because it shows normal life, with a lot of very different characters getting along good (and even great), displaying a very likeable future. Point taken that QC universe is far from perfect, and there are comments here and there about discrimination and stuff, so it is still relatable, but better. In a way is a comic for hope, that we can envision a better future together.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Welcome, new person!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Lear

• Not quite a lurker

I'm straight, white, cis male. I read this comic for at least a decade. I only startet to lurk in the forums this year - that's when I found out that it supposedly has an unusual high inclusion rate.

Perhaps it's just my privilege that I am ignorant and blind to that. Or it really is just well written such that readers see actual people acting naturally in their situations instead of stereotypes defined by just one trait.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

> Or it really is just well written such that readers see actual people acting naturally in their situations

I think it's good writing. More than one of the trans* members here has said that the wonderful thing about Claire's characterization is that she's the redhead who squabbles with her brother and is Actual People rather than The Trans Character.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Dennisdread

• Plantmonster

While I LOVE QC as a comic, I can't help but to think, " what an awesome cartoon this would be!"

And it would be.

ADULT SWIM! NETFLIX! Get on this...STAT!

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

This is an excellent thread.

I'm also queer and my friendship group is mostly made of other queers, so I also find QC a really nice thing to be around.

Nobody's sexuality or gender is 'the story.' It's so, so, so rare for that to happen.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Nobody's sexuality or gender is 'the story.' It's so, so, so rare for that to happen.

And yet they are part of the story, the way your gender and sexuality are part of your story (that's the generic "your", I'm not addressing you directly, Thrillho). 

When they do come up, it's handled realistically, but not with "kid gloves".  It's handled tenderly, and lovingly - after all, we are speaking of love - but not without the angst of new love, the stress of potential issues and the emotional ups and downs ranging from booty dances to panic attacks. 

It's a slice of life, but a bigger slice than any one of us will ever be able to experience in our own limited way.  And yet through Jeph's writing and art, we do experience it, and wonderfully. 

OK, I'm done gushing now. 

Not really.   :wink:
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung

OK, I'm done gushing now. 

Not really.   :wink:

need a bucket?
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.
Pages: [1]   Go Up