THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Mar 2024, 00:53
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What do you think robot jail is?

A blank white room with no other data input and no companions.
A room that's 10% grey with only a T.V. with a picture of a beach and place the same slow muzzak on loop.
The above option except it loops every episode of Barney and Friends.
An endless stream of legal code in the driest, dullest possible wording.
An empty black room.
Three A.I. together in an empty featureless room 'Hell is other people' style.
None of the above (describe your answer if you want to)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3831-3835 (17-21 September, 2018)  (Read 36303 times)

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
Re: WCDT Strips 3831-3835 (17-21 September, 2018)
« Reply #100 on: 19 Sep 2018, 11:16 »

For law enforcement, penitentiary personnel and the military, there's also the stress that higher risk brings.

There are people that do have legitimate issues with law enforcers, I won't deny that. Injustice has this way of getting under your skin.

I'm quite sure this isn't the last we've seen on the matter. Go Jeph!
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #101 on: 19 Sep 2018, 11:43 »

I am going to miss having a window into the world of robots in law enforcement.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #102 on: 19 Sep 2018, 11:45 »

Do you believe that some are truly irredeemable?

Some people have a VERY road to redemption. And some of them actively rrefuse to walk in the right direction until they have a near miss.
Basically, some people are probably only getting into Heaven by repenting on their deathbed.

There was some American Psychologist who defined that attitude as "evil" - people who intellectually understand their behaviour is harmful, have the capacity to make moral judgements and modify their behaviour, but ... walk the other way.

I think IICIH mentioned his name here a few times ...  :psyduck:
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #103 on: 19 Sep 2018, 12:10 »

Some people have a VERY road to redemption. And some of them actively rrefuse to walk in the right direction until they have a near miss.
Basically, some people are probably only getting into Heaven by repenting on their deathbed.

There was some American Psychologist who defined that attitude as "evil" - people who intellectually understand their behaviour is harmful, have the capacity to make moral judgements and modify their behaviour, but ... walk the other way.

Phillip Zimbardo's Stanford exercise in confirmation bias?

Rimwolf

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #104 on: 19 Sep 2018, 12:37 »

I hope that's not the last we see of Roko...
(I'm 'hoping' it means an extended Arc! I like Roko!!)

My hunch is that Jeph likes Roko too, and feels like he can do more interesting stories with her character if she's not a cop.
(I like Roko too!)

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #105 on: 19 Sep 2018, 14:28 »

I am going to miss having a window into the world of robots in law enforcement.

I'm not sure we have one anyway. Roko being a cop doesn't mean anything in the story as far as I can tell (at least, it hasn't since the CW storyline) except that it restricts the possibilities of interaction with other cast members.

My hunch is that Jeph likes Roko too, and feels like he can do more interesting stories with her character if she's not a cop.
(I like Roko too!)

Seconded. Or thirded. Or something.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #106 on: 19 Sep 2018, 17:17 »

Scott Peck, "People of the Lie".

One interesting thing is that he worked in prisons and said that while he found a lot of destructive and dangerous people there, very few met his definition of evil.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

OldGoat

« Reply #107 on: 19 Sep 2018, 17:41 »

I'm not sure we have one anyway. Roko being a cop doesn't mean anything in the story as far as I can tell (at least, it hasn't since the CW storyline) except that it restricts the possibilities of interaction with other cast members.

Eh?  "{I}t restricts the possibilities of interaction with other cast member" is Fake News.

What sorts of characters to TV dramas revolve around?  Doctors, lawyers, and cops with the occasional paramedic or private investigator, etc. 

It's how series writers get their protagonists' noses into other peoples' business without making them busybodies. 

Clergy works too, but notice that they usually get teamed up with a cop.  Outside of comedies and sitcoms, cops make up a substantial proportion of TV's main characters.

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #108 on: 19 Sep 2018, 19:03 »

Scott Peck, "People of the Lie".

One interesting thing is that he worked in prisons and said that while he found a lot of destructive and dangerous people there, very few met his definition of evil.

Dat's der bunny
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #109 on: 19 Sep 2018, 19:21 »

Eh?  "{I}t restricts the possibilities of interaction with other cast member" is Fake News.

What sorts of characters to TV dramas revolve around?  Doctors, lawyers, and cops with the occasional paramedic or private investigator, etc. 

It's how series writers get their protagonists' noses into other peoples' business without making them busybodies. 

Clergy works too, but notice that they usually get teamed up with a cop.  Outside of comedies and sitcoms, cops make up a substantial proportion of TV's main characters.

Really? There are TV shows centred around police? Goodness. Tell me more.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Scarlet Manuka

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #110 on: 19 Sep 2018, 20:48 »

I expect May to run out after her going, "WTF! Don't listen to ME!" or something...
Nicely called.

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #111 on: 19 Sep 2018, 20:50 »

May cares. She needs to be more careful or people will find out.

EDIT: or, wait, maybe less care-full. Semantics.
« Last Edit: 19 Sep 2018, 20:59 by zisraelsen »
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

Mad Cat

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Master of my domain, but not of my range.
« Reply #112 on: 19 Sep 2018, 22:21 »

I love how May is constantly helping the other characters in spite of herself, and without trying.

Or, indeed, wanting to!
Some people are here just to serve as an example to others of what not to do.
The Quakers were masters of siege warfare.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #113 on: 19 Sep 2018, 22:25 »

Oh the punanity.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #114 on: 19 Sep 2018, 23:16 »

What today's strip really reminds us of is how fundamentally good a person May is. For all her bad attitude and the fact that she is bitter and mean, she doesn't want people hurt because of her. When she realises that she may be causing harm, she actually goes to a lot of trouble to try to stop it from getting any worse. I honestly think that a lot of her behaviour is an attempt at developing an emotional and social armour so she won't be hurt but, when she doesn't have to do that, you often get a hint of someone who wants friends and wants to do the right thing but is afraid to do so in too obvious a way.

That aside... am I the only one who was expecting Roko to burst out in song in panel 3?

Finally, May's analogy in panel 4 disturbs me. It reads too much like bitter experience. Did that actually happen to her one day? Did she say: "Hey, you know what would be funny? If that barge of puppies burst into flames!" It promptly did so; as ridiculous as it is, she has never got over the fear that it was somehow her fault!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #115 on: 19 Sep 2018, 23:34 »

Quote from: BenRG
I honestly think that a lot of her behaviour is an attempt at developing an emotional and social armour so she won't be hurt but, when she doesn't have to do that, you often get a hint of someone who wants friends and wants to do the right thing but is afraid to do so in too obvious a way.

May, Faye in the first thousand strips, Bubbles, who else?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Storel

« Reply #116 on: 20 Sep 2018, 00:58 »

I honestly think that a lot of her behaviour is an attempt at developing an emotional and social armour so she won't be hurt but, when she doesn't have to do that, you often get a hint of someone who wants friends and wants to do the right thing but is afraid to do so in too obvious a way.

Oooooh...  :-o

That aside... am I the only one who was expecting Roko to burst out in song in panel 3?

I know, she looks like Julie Andrews about to go "The HILLS are alive..."  :laugh:

So who else caught Jeph's awful pun below the last frame, "a real Hundenberg disaster"? Probably only the German speakers. See, "Hund" is German for "dog"...

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #117 on: 20 Sep 2018, 01:15 »

So who else caught Jeph's awful pun below the last frame, "a real Hundenberg disaster"? Probably only the German speakers. See, "Hund" is German for "dog"...

*cough*

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #118 on: 20 Sep 2018, 02:41 »

*cough* *whoof*

Not quite a Wortspiel ...

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #119 on: 20 Sep 2018, 04:16 »

Well, seems there was a dog on board Hindenburg, and she didn't survive. Unlike the beer, apparently. Priorities, I suppose.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Marco

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Not quite an earthling
« Reply #120 on: 20 Sep 2018, 05:56 »

Pintsize in the first 3826 strips...

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #121 on: 20 Sep 2018, 07:19 »

Well, seems there was a dog on board Hindenburg, and she didn't survive. Unlike the beer, apparently. Priorities, I suppose.
Most likely from the diesel fuel, like most of the victims of that disaster.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #122 on: 20 Sep 2018, 07:30 »

On one hand, yay Roko.

On the other, I expect May to run out after her going, "WTF! Don't listen to ME!" or something...

Huh. Called it. And I'm NOT on the Patreon or anything.... *lol*

mneme

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #123 on: 20 Sep 2018, 09:20 »

Mnnn....still shipping them.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #124 on: 20 Sep 2018, 10:20 »

Global Moderator Comment Near as we can tell they have incompatible orientations and we haven't seen the signals Jeph gives of impending couplehood, like The Cuddle.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
WCDT Strips 3831-3835 (17-21 September, 2018)
« Reply #125 on: 20 Sep 2018, 11:02 »

Roko: is attracted to bread, and fantasizes about males with human abs bringing bread to her.

May: Who knows? She’s made some lewd comments about female anatomy that imply that she finds it attractive. She’s also made some lewd comments about male anatomy that imply that she doesn’t find it attractive. But that’s about all we have to go on.

So this ship has very little searoom.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

dutchrvl

« Reply #126 on: 20 Sep 2018, 13:00 »

Roko: is attracted to bread, and fantasizes about males with human abs bringing bread to her.

May: Who knows? She’s made some lewd comments about female anatomy that imply that she finds it attractive. She’s also made some lewd comments about male anatomy that imply that she doesn’t find it attractive. But that’s about all we have to go on.

So this ship has very little searoom.

Yet May has also made quite some lewd/crude comments about doing specific things with male anatomical parts that imply she may not be opposed to males(?)

Nycticoraci

• Plantmonster
« Reply #127 on: 20 Sep 2018, 17:36 »

I could definitely ship them, but probably not for a relationship.

For a buddy cop drama!

She's a beat cop with a desire to actually do good, a need to investigate, and a guilty sexual pleasure involving baked goods. She's an ex-con with no impulse control, a crass exterior, but quietly a heart of gold. The twist, they're both artificial intelligences trying to find a place in an organic world.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #128 on: 20 Sep 2018, 17:49 »

May can never qualify for a police job with her record, but imagine them as private investigators!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #129 on: 20 Sep 2018, 18:30 »

Comic’s up.

May is certainly showing some character growth. 

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #130 on: 20 Sep 2018, 18:36 »

May is an enthusiastic reader of "Prolapse Monthly" -- but I doubt she wants such things to happen to anyone she knows.

I find it symbolically significant that Roko has divested herself of her tie. That's the -first- thing I'd do.

And it's 'Hundebarge' according to Google Translate.

« Last Edit: 20 Sep 2018, 18:41 by Perfectly Reasonable »
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Sullivan

• Furry furrier
  • Speaker-to- ... um... hm.
« Reply #131 on: 20 Sep 2018, 19:15 »

May can never qualify for a police job with her record, but imagine them as private investigators!
Not sure how stringent the rules are for P.I. licensure in QC's Northhampton, but it's possible May would have trouble there too.

Nycticoraci

• Plantmonster
« Reply #132 on: 20 Sep 2018, 19:56 »

I believe the standard TV trope Loophole is the "Criminal Informant"

TheEvilDog

« Reply #133 on: 20 Sep 2018, 20:09 »

To be fair, May would make for a crappy CI. As a parolee, she'd have to stay away from criminals.

Also, as cool as May may be, she is certainly no Huggy Bear.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #134 on: 20 Sep 2018, 20:15 »

That was pretty good overall. Still kinda want to know what Robot Jail is, but...

"You know those little energy pellets Pac Man eats?"

"Yeah?"

"Those are inmates. And he shits us out eventually."

"EWWWWW."

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #135 on: 20 Sep 2018, 21:20 »

That was pretty good overall. Still kinda want to know what Robot Jail is, but...

Why?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #136 on: 20 Sep 2018, 22:12 »

Because it is there.

It might help us understand May better.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #137 on: 20 Sep 2018, 23:14 »

I'm just loving the way that May is genuinely trying to be friendly and helpful and then her temper gets the better of her and she's all snarky again. This is starting to feel like a really fleshed-out character with a consistent personality and some depth to her.

Meanwhile... am I the only one who would like to see May's parolebot in the position of being effectively an elementary school teacher having to mediate a playground spat between Roko and May? "No, I don't care that she won't 'let you win'!"

I really hope that Roko decides to stick it out because I think she's more interesting as being the cast's window into local government and the authorities of the QC universe than she'd ever be as just another generic Synthetic with a single kink to define her. Fighting for change and believing that you can make a difference is more interesting in narrative terms than giving up and walking away to a random future.
« Last Edit: 20 Sep 2018, 23:57 by BenRG »
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

OldGoat

« Reply #138 on: 20 Sep 2018, 23:19 »

Roko, yes.  May, no way in bloody Hell.

However, May, as a convenience store clerk, works at the physical margins of "the Underworld."   (So does everyone else at Coffee of Doom, just not quite as close to the frontier.)  People there, cab drivers, doormen, all night cafe waitstaff, see and hear things.  She doesn't need to be Roko's "snitch" and go looking for information - information comes to people who live and work there whether they want it or not.  Sometimes they can't keep mum but would rather talk to someone they know.  May will go to Roko.

Edit - broken link fixed.  I HATE doing HTML on a tablet.
« Last Edit: 21 Sep 2018, 10:09 by OldGoat »

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #139 on: 20 Sep 2018, 23:51 »

It might help us understand May better.

That seems unlikely to me. And I'm not normally one to make predictions, but I predict we'll never find out.

All we need know is that May was traumatised by it. That it was so terrible, she can't talk about it.

Each of us has in our own heads some version of her experience. We are, each of us, imagining pretty much the most dreadful thing we can think of.

What happens if Jeph tries to describe it? Maybe it will match what you are thinking of. More likely, it will be a diluted version of what you're thinking of, which would weaken its impact.

It really is best kept in the abstract.

oeoek

• Furry furrier
    • friggin artists!
« Reply #140 on: 21 Sep 2018, 00:30 »

Today's bottom line:
... and also how much I hate neckties.

Yes Mister Creator Sir, I already had the impression it was not your most  favourite garment...

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #141 on: 21 Sep 2018, 00:40 »

I just don't see why anyone would willingly put anything that can be used to strangle them around their neck, and include a convenient grabbable bit to facilitate the process.  Granted, I don't like *anything* touching the front of my neck, but wearing a tie just seems like a really stupid thing to do.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #143 on: 21 Sep 2018, 04:35 »

COMING ON NETFLIX THIS WINTER!

"ROKO AND THE JET!"

This mis-matched pair of crime fighters hunt down the ...

(blah blah blah)
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #144 on: 21 Sep 2018, 04:42 »

And they spread diseases and damage your eyesight
http://uk.businessinsider.com/wearing-a-tie-could-seriously-damage-your-body-heres-how-2018-7?r=US&IR=T

Seriously, how many people do their ties up tight enough to have that effect?  If they do, it's likely that their shirt collar is also tight and as much to blame.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

dutchrvl

« Reply #145 on: 21 Sep 2018, 10:32 »

I just don't see why anyone would willingly put anything that can be used to strangle them around their neck, and include a convenient grabbable bit to facilitate the process.  Granted, I don't like *anything* touching the front of my neck, but wearing a tie just seems like a really stupid thing to do.

I know I'm in the minority, but personally I love wearing neckties, as they provide a great way (together with socks, obviously) to make the typical business attire more colorful and inject some personal style.
Plus, I don't find them uncomfortable at all.

Necklaces/chains etc on the other hand I just can't stand wearing.

To each their own, always holds true :)

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #146 on: 21 Sep 2018, 10:47 »

The purpose of a necktie is to hide the buttons on the front of your shirt, because it would be utterly horrible if anyone happened to see those. I mean, think of the children!  :psyduck:

OldGoat

« Reply #147 on: 21 Sep 2018, 12:54 »

One of the few feats of physical skill I get to brag about - being able to tie a four-in-hand or a half-windsor without a mirror.  (I must credit the Sisters of the Perpetual Knuckle-whack for motivating me in grade school for the four-in-hand.  I learned the half-windsor on my own as an act of rebellion.)

And I agree, it's the collar, not the tie that's so damned uncomfortable.

OldGoat

« Reply #148 on: 21 Sep 2018, 13:08 »

If Claire sees this she'll swoon.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #149 on: 21 Sep 2018, 13:16 »

Funnily enough, it was thought that cravats offered protection, at least psychological in nature, from spear attacks in the 16th century. They were originally worn by Croatian mercenaries who served in the French Army in the 1630s. The neck pieces worn by them fascinated the Parisian nobles and eventually they started wearing them. In fact, the word cravat comes from the French cravate, which was a variation of Croate.

Eventually the cravat worn by Croatians evolved into the necktie we all know and love today. (Or in the case of some people, are absolutely terrified of. Personally, I like a nice tie, completes the look of a suit and serves as a much needed focal and tying point)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up