THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 09:42
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What next for Roko?

"Basilisk, good job on the fight club case. Here's your gold detective's badge!"
- 1 (1.9%)
Roko Basilisk P.I. (with May as her capable and tough receptionist)
- 15 (28.8%)
Asking Elliott (stammering and blushing) if The Secret Bakery has any open jobs working with b... b... bread
- 7 (13.5%)
The Kirouac Option - She quits, buys a bike and rides off to find herself
- 1 (1.9%)
SpookyBot makes a personal appearence to tell her about ways she can make a difference
- 9 (17.3%)
May personally pleas with her to stick with the force because they need some good cops
- 5 (9.6%)
Bubbles (clued in by May) gives her the 'one good Synthetic' speech
- 6 (11.5%)
A prolonged whodunnit story guest-starring Clinton, Melon and Emily
- 4 (7.7%)
Door security at The Horrible Revelation (which morphs into the prolonged whodunnit arc)
- 4 (7.7%)
Other (please specify in a comment)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 3836-3840 (24 to 28 September 2018)  (Read 54327 times)

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
Re: WCDT strips 3836-3840 (24 to 28 September 2018)
« Reply #50 on: 25 Sep 2018, 05:11 »

Or, to put it another way: Whilst any social collective where authority structures exist necessarily seem to breed corruption, injustice and abuse by those authority structures, areas without authority structures tend to also breed injustice and abuse, often on catastrophically greater scales.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiapas
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerala

Two counter examples I can think of, where the lives and economic conditions are strictly better than the surrounding nation.

Chances are, you’ve never heard of Kerala. This tiny Indian state on the Arabian Sea has a population more literate than any American state’s— its main export is PhD’s for energy and computer industries.
oh god

Mordhaus

• Furry furrier
« Reply #51 on: 25 Sep 2018, 05:36 »

Now she can become a private dick!

ImVeryAngryItsNotButter

• Plantmonster
« Reply #52 on: 25 Sep 2018, 05:41 »

... DON'T @ ME

I've started seeing this around...
Not sure I totally understand what it means...?

It is a way to state a controversial opinion without wanting to receive controversial opinions in return.

This, exactly. I find it hard to have respect for people who want to change people's minds, yet are completely unwilling to change their own mind in the process.

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #53 on: 25 Sep 2018, 05:57 »

You can look at history or even round the world today and find plenty of examples of societies with functional central authority or law enforcement. You'll have to try a little harder to find any that are nice places to live.
On the other hand, it is easy to find places without functional central authority or law enforcement that are not nice places to live.
Not on the other hand at all - it was a catastrophic typo! It was meant to say without functional central authority!!

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #54 on: 25 Sep 2018, 06:01 »

... DON'T @ ME

It is a way to state a controversial opinion without wanting to receive controversial opinions in return.

This, exactly. I find it hard to have respect for people who want to change people's minds, yet are completely unwilling to change their own mind in the process.

I've witnessed Tova's discussion-fu for roughly seven years, and it's pretty much the polar opposite of the ... strawman? caricature? you present here.

One of the reasons he has earned my respect.

More accurately, it is a way to state a controversial opinion without wanting to receive controversial opinions in return.

We have multiple threads about systemic problems with US law enforcement in Discuss! (Where we discuss stuff ... rather than e.g. each other, y'know)
« Last Edit: 25 Sep 2018, 06:57 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Mordhaus

• Furry furrier
« Reply #55 on: 25 Sep 2018, 06:17 »

Or, to put it another way: Whilst any social collective where authority structures exist necessarily seem to breed corruption, injustice and abuse by those authority structures, areas without authority structures tend to also breed injustice and abuse, often on catastrophically greater scales.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiapas
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerala

Two counter examples I can think of, where the lives and economic conditions are strictly better than the surrounding nation.

Chances are, you’ve never heard of Kerala. This tiny Indian state on the Arabian Sea has a population more literate than any American state’s— its main export is PhD’s for energy and computer industries.

Ah, but both of those examples are 'protected' from outside threats due to either geographic location or because they are part of a larger, more powerful state.

If men were angels, no government would be necessary, as James Madison said. We aren't though, which means that an Anarchist group would either have to be powerful enough to take on all comers or it would have to be protected by someone who could. If they are protected by the latter, they exist at the pleasure of that person/state/nation. A good example would be Catalonia. Spain let them be almost fully autonomous until they tried to separate from Spain due to their relative wealth being used to keep Spain's economy afloat. When they tried to take full control of themselves, the Spanish government shut that down cold.

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #56 on: 25 Sep 2018, 06:48 »

... DON'T @ ME

It means that the author of the post is uninterested in debating the issue they raised.

Is that like ... similar to pre-emptively stereotyping the people whose opinions one might disagree with before they've actually said a peep?

I've already got the feeling that this week's strips are not going to be enjoyable and I may even bow out for a while because the political opinions that are going to be openly and shamelessly be presented as objective fact will just make me mad at Jeph.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poisoning_the_well
« Last Edit: 25 Sep 2018, 11:43 by Case »
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #57 on: 25 Sep 2018, 07:12 »

Ah, but both of those examples are 'protected' from outside threats due to either geographic location or because they are part of a larger, more powerful state[...]We aren't though, which means that an Anarchist group would either have to be powerful enough to take on all comers

I'm sorry but did you not click the Chiapas link? You might want to actually read about them.

I'd also suggest looking into the continued successes of the Kurdish anarchists against ISIS and established nations both.

oh god

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #58 on: 25 Sep 2018, 07:12 »

Welcome, new person!

Roko believed Corpse Witch about the department's higher-ups taking bribes, and that by itself would be cause for despair even though she didn't mention it.

Better supported by textev, when we first met her she was threatening Faye so as to push her to be an informant. The cause was just. That still leaves room for a person with a conscience to feel uncomfortable.

It's interesting that she misread the situation she's responding to. May even explained that it was a real apology and not a "don't tell my parole officer" apology. Roko still thought May expected her to be a jerk. Is this because she had too many colleagues who were?

That "should I stay or should I go" question is one of the most common and difficult ethics questions in life and I love the Cornelius touchstone above about whether the system is breaking the person.

Global Moderator Comment I love heading off trouble. Jeph may take this into territory where feelings run high. I'll request, politely, that people do their best to separate the Roko story arc in the comic from their own good and bad experiences with police, and to discuss those experiences in DISCUSS. There's no clean division of course.
« Last Edit: 25 Sep 2018, 07:21 by Is it cold in here? »
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Jakk Frost

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #59 on: 25 Sep 2018, 07:44 »

... DON'T @ ME

(Or is it simply, don't tweet about this and include me as a direct recipient?)

Basically it's "Don't link to me in any response or discussion, I'm not interested in having my viewpoint challenged."

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #60 on: 25 Sep 2018, 07:49 »

Can I just point out the deep irony that an sardonically posted "Don't @ me" has resulted in the most @'d replies in the entire thread?
oh god

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #61 on: 25 Sep 2018, 08:55 »

I think I maybe should have remained blissful in my ignorance...   :oops:
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #62 on: 25 Sep 2018, 09:18 »

Lifting moratorium on posting to say that, like most such phrases, it has taken on some conflicting connotation baggage. I've seen "don't @ me" used as challenge, as acknowledgement of hot take, as humor, as literal, and probably another way or two.

I refuse to even attempt to interpret its intention in this use, since the usual worthless WCDT squabbling promises, this week, to be entertaining in a fashion for once, and it's much more so if I watch it from over *here* instead of mingling in this sucking mire. But I like Joe and Tova, so I'll dip my toe *this once*.

Moratorium back on, may the odds ever be in your favor you poor bastards.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #63 on: 25 Sep 2018, 09:28 »

... I was just imagining Pintsize's reaction to that...
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #64 on: 25 Sep 2018, 09:39 »

... I was just imagining Pintsize's reaction to that...

*reaches for Brain-bleach*

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.
« Reply #65 on: 25 Sep 2018, 10:42 »

... DON'T @ ME

Basically it's "Don't link to me in any response or discussion, I'm not interested in having my viewpoint challenged."

This, and the variations of it others posted in the thread, are as inaccurate as claiming someone blocking you on Twitter means they "can't handle debate" or are "hiding" or "know they lost" or etc.

"Don't @ me" doesn't mean they don't want to be challenged or refuse to change their minds or are otherwise closed to new ideas.

It means they don't want to hear from you, the anonymous online public, about it. They're stating their opinion; you can debate it amongst yourselves all you want, just don't include them because they don't care about your opinions on their opinion. They don't know you, they don't owe you their time, and you're probably going to post bullshit about it anyway - as demonstrated in the above quote suggesting they "don't want their viewpoint challenged," for example, proving their point.

More specific to Twitter where this started, @ing people also sends them notifications so it's also just a way of keeping your notifications clear for things you actually care about responding to instead of getting potentially flooded with rando replies to a statement you made X days ago. Less of an issue now that they have a "mute this conversation" feature, but etymology and all that.
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #66 on: 25 Sep 2018, 10:50 »

... DON'T @ ME

Global Moderator Comment A common phenomenon, but my best judgement is that that's not what's happening here.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #67 on: 25 Sep 2018, 11:40 »

But I like Joe and Tova, so I'll dip my toe *this once*.

Moratorium back on, may the odds ever be in your favor you poor bastards.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #68 on: 25 Sep 2018, 11:53 »

Can I just point out the deep irony that an sardonically posted "Don't @ me" has resulted in the most @'d replies in the entire thread?

Speaking as a user, not a mod, for whatever it's worth, when I say 'Don't @ me' I actually mean 'I am desperate to discuss this shit, someone talk to me.'

I have a friend who was a cop in the southeaat. An out lesbian, concerned about social issues, willing to both call out her fellow officers both in person and online and question her own actions when called out, she did a ton of good for her community. Officers like that leaving does not help, especially when the reason is just a vague unease about how others might think about you.

This is a very, very complicated thing to talk about and it really doesn't have a right answer.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

dutchrvl

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #69 on: 25 Sep 2018, 11:54 »

... DON'T @ ME

This, and the variations of it others posted in the thread, are as inaccurate as claiming someone blocking you on Twitter means they "can't handle debate" or are "hiding" or "know they lost" or etc.

"Don't @ me" doesn't mean they don't want to be challenged or refuse to change their minds or are otherwise closed to new ideas.

It means they don't want to hear from you, the anonymous online public, about it. They're stating their opinion; you can debate it amongst yourselves all you want, just don't include them because they don't care about your opinions on their opinion. They don't know you, they don't owe you their time, and you're probably going to post bullshit about it anyway - as demonstrated in the above quote suggesting they "don't want their viewpoint challenged," for example, proving their point.

More specific to Twitter where this started, @ing people also sends them notifications so it's also just a way of keeping your notifications clear for things you actually care about responding to instead of getting potentially flooded with rando replies to a statement you made X days ago. Less of an issue now that they have a "mute this conversation" feature, but etymology and all that.

Yep, even if you love discussing a topic and have your way of thinking challenged by others, that doesn't mean you necessarily want to engage in discussions online with people you don't know. In many discussions it's worthwhile to have some kind of understanding of that person, their backgrounds, etc. Basically helpful context you don't get when discussing topics with random internetters.

Anyway, I think Tova's use of "don't @ me" was more tongue-in-cheek as a response to Jeph's commentary underneath today's comic (which is more-or-less the equivalent of 'don't @ me').

dutchrvl

« Reply #70 on: 25 Sep 2018, 12:01 »

Speaking as a user, not a mod, for whatever it's worth, when I say 'Don't @ me' I actually mean 'I am desperate to discuss this shit, someone talk to me.'

I have a friend who was a cop in the southeaat. An out lesbian, concerned about social issues, willing to both call out her fellow officers both in person and online and question her own actions when called out, she did a ton of good for her community. Officers like that leaving does not help, especially when the reason is just a vague unease about how others might think about you.

This is a very, very complicated thing to talk about and it really doesn't have a right answer.

In Roko's case, I guess I would have preferred her to take some time considering why she is in the police force, what her fears/objections with respect to the work are, and how she could best put her qualities to work to affect some changes, inside the system or outside.
That may well have led to exactly the same outcome as today's comic, but her current decision to me seems extremely rash and not very well thought through.

That said, I admit that she may have done all the above for some time already and her interaction with May may have simply been the proverbial last straw. It just didn't come across that way to me.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #71 on: 25 Sep 2018, 12:16 »

JFC, this forum, sometimes.

Is there any reason to attack someone for referencing something posted in the comic? Or in the creator's commentary at the bottom of the page.

Any discussion about law enforcement in the US is always going to be a sensitive topic, especially in light of how badly they're seen at the moment. But everyone is going to have a different experience from their own personal experience and many of us on the forum aren't American. There are some places in the world where the police actually do their job.

Look, there's enough badwill in the world, this forum should be a safe haven from it. So don't go fucking adding to it here.

I think I should go join De_La_Nae in that moratorium.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #72 on: 25 Sep 2018, 13:22 »

That said, I admit that she may have done all the above for some time already and her interaction with May may have simply been the proverbial last straw. It just didn't come across that way to me.
When I first read today's comic, that's actually the impression I had as well, that we see the last straw breaking the proverbial camel's back, but missed the rest of the load. However, I figured we still have the rest of the week coming.

Look, there's enough badwill in the world, this forum should be a safe haven from it. So don't go fucking adding to it here.

Not a bad idea that.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #73 on: 25 Sep 2018, 13:40 »

We’ve seen before that Roko is miserable. She’s unhappy in her work, and she’s unhappy in her love life (or lack thereof). Friends? O’Malley, who doesn’t really get her, and Melon, who doesn’t really get anything. She’s been in need of a change for a while. None of this has snuck up on us.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

SotFX

• Plantmonster
« Reply #74 on: 25 Sep 2018, 13:41 »

I'm hoping this doesn't mean that O'malley is disappearing from the comic

Though if this is running on a rule of drama, the next mention of him will be with Roko having a crisis because he got killed somehow in the line of duty due to a new, inexperienced partner and effects of one of the corrupt cops they're mentioning

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #75 on: 25 Sep 2018, 14:22 »

Not a bad idea that.

I admit it sounds tempting.

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #76 on: 25 Sep 2018, 14:23 »

I'm with you on hoping O'Malley isn't written out- I really like him.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #77 on: 25 Sep 2018, 14:38 »

Ah, good morning everyone. Well, it's morning where I am, so let's just run with that.

Apologies for starting a ruckus, and heartfelt thanks for those who had my back, Case in particular.

As at least a couple of you have guessed, my tongue was firmly planted in my cheek when I last posted. So much for my attempt to lighten the tone!  :roll:

I confess that I can be obstreperous* at times, but I sincerely welcome having my views challenged. They have been challenged and changed multiple times since I started here thanks to various regulars, believe me.

As to the topic of the systemic failure or otherwise of US police, I'm happy to engage, but I'll mainly be listening because I am in no position to contribute, as I am aware that I am largely ignorant on this topic.

* It's cromulent, don't @ me**.
** Kidding, seriously, @ me any time.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #78 on: 25 Sep 2018, 15:14 »

I'd @ you any time [/George Harrison]
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Busch

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #79 on: 25 Sep 2018, 16:13 »

I have long thought that the downfall of the popularity of police coincides exactly with the uptick in realizing the police can be leveraged to bring in money for the government.

Now they aren't your friend. They aren't serving or protecting. They're looking for an excuse to squeeze you for some cash. (Quite literally and directly in some countries. Only by proxy of the local government in the others.)

We should probably break police into two groups: "The Police", who enforce laws but never issue tickets. If it's not serious enough to arrest you then they do not care. And "The Revenue" who basically are pencil pushing ticket writers we can all agree to hate.

Then when you're in trouble you call "The Police" and don't worry if your tail light is out or your license is out of date. "The Police" do not, as a rule, ever summon "The Revenue" and "The Revenue" politely steer clear of police actions. ...although they can and will write tickets for The Police who engage in petty violations and The Police in turn can arrest a Revenue who gets overzealous with the beat sticks on people who argue about their tickets.

Only then can we restore balance to the force.

All that said, I like the idea of Basilisk as a P.I. That could be a whole fun side series in itself. At first she gets a lot of really lame cases -- stuff the other PIs wouldn't do or charged too much for. She could occasionally hire Bubbles on when she needs a little muscle. She could also look for bounties on no-show criminals.

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #80 on: 25 Sep 2018, 18:12 »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_enforcement

?

Yes, Germany has order enforment office(r)s - anything wrong with that?

'Ordnung muss sein ...'

comicalArchitect

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #81 on: 25 Sep 2018, 19:24 »

comic comic

Return of the Mack Spookybot! This is an unexpected delight. I wonder if they're just there to unnerve us, or if they're going to be involved in something later on. (I do think there has to be a larger plot in the works regarding Spookybot and Hanners' parents, but that's probably a ways down the line.) In the nearer future, I hope Roko tells Faye and Bubbles who talked to her. Bubbles really deserves to know anything that happens regarding Spookybot.

Smallest

• Curry sauce
« Reply #82 on: 25 Sep 2018, 19:26 »

so did she turn off her cop voice option?

edit: also yessss spookybot(s)

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #83 on: 25 Sep 2018, 19:33 »

...so I guess she's free of the police department's ban on exaggerated Boston accents?  (You'd think that would be an obligation...)
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #84 on: 25 Sep 2018, 19:50 »

Look we even shop at the same store! 

Getting a real Beetlejucie vibe from Spookybot.  Maybe they can be summoned if you say their name 3 times. 

Jeph must've fixed this because when I saw this earlier on Patreon, Spookybot's dialogue was in squares like other AI's instead of bubbles like it is now.  Must've been a mistake, but I thought maybe Spookybot was slumming it if they were speaking like a standard AI as well as having a chassis with a neck seam.  I know the last time we saw them they were wearing a black suit with a collared shirt that would hide this, but I suspect Spookybot has a chassis so sophisticated it looks human or is quite possibly composed of billions of nanobots.

Interesting that there are limits and constraints which could mean Spookybot has vulnerabilities. 

And am I the only one that hears Rachel Dratch's Boston teen from SNL whenever Roko switches into her accent mode?   

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #85 on: 25 Sep 2018, 19:55 »

...so I guess she's free of the police department's ban on exaggerated Boston accents?  (You'd think that would be an obligation...)

FAHK OAFF is a Boston accent?

(FAHK OAFF ...!  :-D)

badbum61

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • I'm going to eight, baby!
« Reply #86 on: 25 Sep 2018, 21:38 »

So Basilisk is from Southie, yah? Is she walking to the cah pahk?
What the hell are YOU staring at?

efindumb

« Reply #87 on: 25 Sep 2018, 21:44 »

FAHK OAFF is a Boston accent?

(FAHK OAFF ...!  :-D)

No. It's not even close. Nobody in the Boston area ever speaks like that. "ah" and "uh" are interchangeable for "ar" "er" and "or" sounds depending on neighborhood, how long you have lived in the area, and the speed of your voice. "Pahk the cah in Hahvahd Yahd" is total bullshit. Real Boston area accents are in "bublah" "Medfuhd" "rivah" "cruisah".

She's running a language file that is someone's idea of a joke.

citizenfive

• Plantmonster
  • Dungeons & Dragons for Days!
« Reply #88 on: 25 Sep 2018, 22:16 »

I know some people on this forum aren't the biggest fans of Spookybot/how they were introduced, but they're definitely one of my favorite characters because of how little we know about them. I love seeing them show up again!

keithcurtis

• Plantmonster
« Reply #89 on: 25 Sep 2018, 22:26 »

Wow, I know it was one of the multiple choices, but I honestly did not expect Spookybot.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #90 on: 25 Sep 2018, 22:50 »

It seems that this appearance of the Eminence Gris is primarily to annoy.

If not with its observations, then with its outfit...

:-D  :police: :angel: :psyduck:
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #91 on: 25 Sep 2018, 22:51 »

I thought Basilisk was parodying the Spookybots' accent, which is apparently non-rhotic like mine. In Australia we really do say: "I'll pahk my cah in the yahd, twenty meetas outside the shopping centa."

Yay, Carl!
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #92 on: 25 Sep 2018, 23:16 »

Okay, so I was expecting Spookybot to turn up at some point. As irrational as it seems, the whole scenario just seems too contrived not to have Jeph's own Deus Ex Machina involved somehow. Until proof is offered otherwise, I'm assuming that their explanation in panel 5 is at best misdirection and that Roko's sudden career move is in line with their agenda, whatever it turns out to be.

I also suspect that Roko is going to wake up tomorrow and realise that she told a god-tier AI to 'fuck off' and muse that she now hopes that they are powerful and self-assured enough to not take stuff like that personally.

Now, why the Boston accent? My guess it's two strong emotions: Anger and fear. Anger because I suspect that Roko's superiors and, possibly, her peers were very nasty about her quitting, especially if she happened to mention the reason. However, yes, there is also fear: Fear about what her future holds and just how difficult a path she's set out on.

It seems that this appearance of the Eminence Gris is primarily to annoy.

If not with its observations, then with its outfit...

Q liked duplicating his sparring partners' clothing choices too.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #93 on: 25 Sep 2018, 23:17 »

I thought Basilisk was parodying the Spookybots' accent, which is apparently non-rhotic like mine. In Australia we really do say: "I'll pahk my cah in the yahd, twenty meetas outside the shopping centa."

Also Australian, I actually had to read the sentence out loud to realize it was true.

Shit. That explains why bad Australian accents sound the way they do. I get what they're exaggerating a little better now.
oh god

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #94 on: 25 Sep 2018, 23:32 »

I know some people on this forum aren't the biggest fans of Spookybot/how they were introduced, but they're definitely one of my favorite characters because of how little we know about them. I love seeing them show up again!

I still have reservations about a walking talking deus ex machina, but what I find most troubling is the possibility of Spookybot becoming the next Great Gazoo.
« Last Edit: 26 Sep 2018, 11:57 by brasca »

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.
« Reply #95 on: 25 Sep 2018, 23:48 »

Oh, is that supposed to be a Boston accent?

My first thought was Scottish, but I suppose something from the States makes more sense.
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

Storel

« Reply #97 on: 26 Sep 2018, 00:13 »

Aha, so Basilisk is originally from Australia then! While she manages a reasonable facsimile of the local accent most of the time, she reverts to her native accent when surprised or upset. Interesting...

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #98 on: 26 Sep 2018, 00:37 »

Jeph introduced Spookybot to sever and cauterized a metric shitload of loose ends, presumably to save time and move forward with Fay & Bubbles.  I must assume he's using the character for the same purpose now and Roko (or perhaps the AI community) is going to take the focus for a while.  Spooky seems poised to become a Q to Roko's Jean Luc Picard, right down to adopting her clothing.  We shall see.

(Not how I'd have done it, but it's not my strip.) 

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #99 on: 26 Sep 2018, 01:23 »

Wow, I know it was one of the multiple choices, but I honestly did not expect Spookybot.

Nobody expects Spookybot! Their chief weapon is surprise... surprise and fear... fear and surprise...
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up