Accounting (Hello, Punchbot!)
- 1 (2.2%)
Lawyer.
- 3 (6.7%)
Social Work (ewwwww)
- 6 (13.3%)
Spathe Ham & Waffles!
- 2 (4.4%)
Purple Monkey Dishwashers (with Sexy Unicorns)
- 1 (2.2%)
Other
- 3 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 3841-3845 (1-5 October 2018)  (Read 44238 times)

efindumb

Re: WCDT strips 3841-3845 (1-5 October 2018)
« Reply #100 on: 03 Oct 2018, 23:49 »

The exploding rice reminds me so much of when I was backpacking through Europe. When I was in Stockholm, the hostel I was staying at had a basement kitchen with "free pasta".

Now, I don't know how people manage to burn pasta, but I was there for 3 nights (with me only in the building to sleep and wash, otherwise out in the city). Over those 3 nights the building fire alarm went off 7 times with me in the building, with 4 of those times being between 2-5am. By the end of it, we'd generally have someone in the room stick their head out the door, say "You burn pasta, no fire?", and on hearing yes, bury our heads in pillows until the alarm stopped.

We weren't overly safety conscious.

Mind you, I was worse by the end of my trip.
I remember in Madrid checking into one, and them saying, oh but sorry you won't be able to stay in the room just yet, one of the hot water tanks fell through the roof onto a bed. My only reaction was, that's fine, I'll just put my bag in my locker and go out touristing. It's scary in retrospect how your standards of "a safe place to spend the night" change.

How can you burn pasta? I've done it multiple ways. Not paying attention to the pasta as it cooks(done it once) not stirring the pot to keep the pasta from sticking to the sides or bottom of the pan(too many times to count), too much water + tight lid + starch and proteins in the water = flambe!(twice, but nothing caught fire)

Rice is easy to ruin if you don't pay attention to it and  if it boils over especially if you don't wash the kernels first to get rid of the starch. Boil overs are easy to do, especially if you aren't used to cooking which I suspect the trio aren't used to doing. Unless they used a rice cooker, which is a whole other animal and likely isn't their fault as it could easily be an electrical short that caused it to catch fire and they were legitimately frightened hence the chaos.

efindumb

« Reply #101 on: 03 Oct 2018, 23:55 »

New Comic Up

In some ways, I feel great empathy for May here. All she wants to be is a grumpy, bitter and antisocial misanthrope. Instead, here she finds herself having to care for and help friends old and new! What will this do to her self-image? :-D Seriously, I think that, at some point, she's going to go to Bubbles and ask her if she really is a Tsundere!

May is a rough girl but she has a heart of gold. What is interesting is that she clearly doesn't like this. She feels that she should be nasty and mean but she just can't quite make it stick when she's dealing with people whom she has started to care about!

She's so used to being all alone that she might finally be seeing that she isn't alone and the people she is around are more than just roommates- they are friends to her. Momo has tried to be her ear to talk to, Dale was her verbal jousting partner, Marigold is the counter to her in multiple ways even if neither would admit it.

Coincidentally, the way things are going and how the talk with Roko went I believe we could end up seeing her end up becoming a social worker or couselor and doing the job that Winslow was doing before.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #102 on: 04 Oct 2018, 00:01 »

Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #103 on: 04 Oct 2018, 00:18 »

If you really want to mess with them you say that Ringo was the best Sex Pistol.

Oy.  :roll: Ringo wasn't even the best Beatle!

(Pete Best was, of course, the Best Beatle.  :wink:)

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #104 on: 04 Oct 2018, 00:19 »

(Forgive me for being a comic behind.) 

Can Claire Be our
Claire Without
Poofy red hair?

Perish forbid!
We hope Jeph
Wouldn't dare.

Has some vile spectre
Invaded his lair?
It's awful and wicked
And downright unfair.

(Forgive me for waxing poetic as well.)

Eastrim

• Plantmonster
« Reply #105 on: 04 Oct 2018, 00:28 »

Saw this while out and about.

That is of course, the correct answer, both logically and according to Occam's Razor. As such, it has no place here.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #106 on: 04 Oct 2018, 00:34 »

If you really want to mess with them you say that Ringo was the best Sex Pistol.

See you and raise you. My favourite Sex Pistol?

Why, Donny of course.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Storel

« Reply #107 on: 04 Oct 2018, 00:36 »

See you and raise you. My favourite Sex Pistol?

Why, Donny of course.

Not Marie?  :-(

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #108 on: 04 Oct 2018, 00:37 »

At the risk of taking a flippant remark too seriously I think choosing a female Osmond might lampshade the joke a little.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #109 on: 04 Oct 2018, 01:39 »

Quote from: JoeCovenant link=topic=34235.msg1413897#msg1413897 date=1538395777[/quote

Aye, but is it Broon sass or Rayd sass??

(NB: This joke may not work if the reader is not Scottish)
I get that it's "brown sass or red sass" but the joke is still lost on me.

[edit] oh "sauce", okay, nvm.

Looks like we need something like explainxkcd.com - maybe explainWCDT.questionablecontent.net
The problem is that I was still reading "sass" to rhyme with "ass" not with "toss".

Then you were reading it right!

In the auld doric dialect, (ahem) sass, meaning sauce, is pronounced as ass and not toss! :)
Hence - the joke...
Rayd sass (Red sauce), being tomato ketchup!
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

cybersmurf

« Reply #110 on: 04 Oct 2018, 02:49 »

The problem is that I was still reading "sass" to rhyme with "ass" not with "toss".

Then you were reading it right!

In the auld doric dialect, (ahem) sass, meaning sauce, is pronounced as ass and not toss! :)
Hence - the joke...
Rayd sass (Red sauce), being tomato ketchup!

I don't want to extrapolate the other choice, right?
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #111 on: 04 Oct 2018, 02:58 »

I don't know what you're thinking of, but there's nothing wrong with brown sauce. Reminds me to put it on the grocery list.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

ihaveavoice

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #112 on: 04 Oct 2018, 03:12 »

Like, at this point I'm half-expecting Veronica to be sporting a bob when she next shows up.
And then, I think, I will finally be Done With QC.

This is...quite the reason to decide to be done with something.

Curious: do you feel this passionately about the dudes' hair?

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #113 on: 04 Oct 2018, 03:15 »

That doesn't really matter because Jeph doesn't feel that passionately about dudes' hair. He has demonstrated that he does feel that passionately about the ladies' hair. He sets the tone and the direction of the debate.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

cybersmurf

« Reply #114 on: 04 Oct 2018, 03:46 »

I don't know what you're thinking of, but there's nothing wrong with brown sauce. Reminds me to put it on the grocery list.

OK, didn't know that stuff existed. Point taken, moving on.

That doesn't really matter because Jeph doesn't feel that passionately about dudes' hair. He has demonstrated that he does feel that passionately about the ladies' hair. He sets the tone and the direction of the debate.

We've seen Steve shave his head. We've seen Marten putting off getting a haircut (at least that's how I interpret it, since I'm pretty much guilty of that myself). And the rest pretty much kept their initial hairstyles. Well, Clinton, but that was a story and character advancement device, and it was totally justifiable.

Personally, I am biased towards longer hair, but after all, it's not our choice. Never has been, never will be. And I'm not reading this comic to look at the hair of the characters. Not kink-shaming either.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #115 on: 04 Oct 2018, 03:52 »

Roko, guard your lug wrench. Uh, I mean ponytail.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #116 on: 04 Oct 2018, 04:00 »

I'll be honest, I had a hard time choosing and am very unhappy that Private Investibaker was not an option.
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #117 on: 04 Oct 2018, 04:02 »

*looks up privateinvestibaker.com on whois*

Oooh, available.

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #118 on: 04 Oct 2018, 04:09 »

I wonder what you do though if you were a Private Investibaker? Do you only solve bakery related crime? Do you only solve crime using noirish baked goods? Do you wear a fedora or a puffy chefs hat?
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #119 on: 04 Oct 2018, 04:27 »

I don't know, but if it involves tasting a wide variety of baked goods, I'm in.

cybersmurf

« Reply #120 on: 04 Oct 2018, 05:37 »

You want to know your new crush's food preferences? Hobbies? Friends? No problem! We will find out - over baked goods! Now for hire - your personal Private Investibaker!

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #121 on: 04 Oct 2018, 06:30 »

I wonder what you do though if you were a Private Investibaker?

You trace the origins and ingredients of endless varieties of Schwarzbrot ...

(Delicious when fresh. Doubles as throwable weapon when not.)
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Inconsequential

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #122 on: 04 Oct 2018, 07:40 »

As an anthropc, shouldn't Momo be always be connected to the Internet, or at least have a ready connection?  It should be all of a simple action to google pretty much anything.

Among the QC-verse AIs, there's a noticeable bias toward in-person. human-like interaction. Momo at least has built-in GPS (and we can presume most other AIs do as well; even in our universe the hardware is cheap and only about the size of a thumbnail), and Momo and May "text" each other when they're not in the same place (complete with personalized emojis).

And they seem to be assigned phone numbers and have built-in cell phone hardware -- there was a mention of Claire getting Bubbles' number before Marten did, and May and Momo have made phone calls to their human pals without any extra devices (using the very human hand to ear gesture).

But generally the AIs seem to avoid using their networking capabilities unless there's a need, even when there are no humans around. Probably because you can communicate a lot better with nonverbal cues mixed in (facial expression, gestures, etc. depending on hardware). A face to face conversation can be pretty darn efficient. And Bubbles has talked about the desire to act human-like in small ways in order to fit into human culture a bit better.

Plus, in our universe, going over your wireless data limit can get stupid expensive, and it's likely much the same in the QC-verse.

Also:

1) Momo has tear ducts? I suppose humanoid AIs would need some sort of lubricating film for their eyes...

2) Do May and Momo know about Faye and Bubbles yet? I mean, May spotted that ship pretty early on, but I sense much ensuing comedy when they visit Bubbles' AI hair salon... dis gon be gud.  :-D

OldGoat

« Reply #123 on: 04 Oct 2018, 08:54 »

As an anthropc, shouldn't Momo be always be connected to the Internet, or at least have a ready connection?  It should be all of a simple action to google pretty much anything.

Among the QC-verse AIs, there's a noticeable bias toward in-person. human-like interaction. Momo at least has built-in GPS (and we can presume most other AIs do as well; even in our universe the hardware is cheap and only about the size of a thumbnail), and Momo and May "text" each other when they're not in the same place (complete with personalized emojis).

And they seem to be assigned phone numbers and have built-in cell phone hardware -- there was a mention of Claire getting Bubbles' number before Marten did, and May and Momo have made phone calls to their human pals without any extra devices (using the very human hand to ear gesture).

But generally the AIs seem to avoid using their networking capabilities unless there's a need, even when there are no humans around. Probably because you can communicate a lot better with nonverbal cues mixed in (facial expression, gestures, etc. depending on hardware). A face to face conversation can be pretty darn efficient. And Bubbles has talked about the desire to act human-like in small ways in order to fit into human culture a bit better.

Plus, in our universe, going over your wireless data limit can get stupid expensive, and it's likely much the same in the QC-verse.
As a writer's device, it's the same as computer downloads being represented in movies and TV shows as 1s and 0s scrolling rapidly across the screen - otherwise there's nothing to show.  Jeph could sketch his characters standing there having a conversation, perhaps with zig-zaggy speech bubbles to represent the electronic voice on the other side, but that would probably be a drag to draw.

1) Momo has tear ducts? I suppose humanoid AIs would need some sort of lubricating film for their eyes...
Just add a pint of windshield washer fluid every few months or as needed depending upon environmental conditions.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #124 on: 04 Oct 2018, 09:07 »

Imagine the issues if they forget to switch to antifreeze.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

heyjames4

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #125 on: 04 Oct 2018, 13:16 »

Did I miss something, or are these four nerds all living in the same apartment together?
May said she was going to turn off for the night, but that looks like Marigolds living room.

Forum Hivemind deploy archive-fu pls.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #126 on: 04 Oct 2018, 13:34 »

You didn't miss anything; it seems like Dale and May moved in with Marigold and Momo at some point off-camera.
~~~~

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #127 on: 04 Oct 2018, 17:50 »

Subject to correction I seem to remember that Dale was already staying at Marigold's when May invited herself in.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

alc40

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #128 on: 04 Oct 2018, 18:50 »

Marigold & Dale were both present when May arrived, but it looks like they weren't living together.  (either back then or fairly recently)

Mordhaus

• Furry furrier
« Reply #129 on: 04 Oct 2018, 18:54 »

Roko is a babe, but even more so with her hair down.

OldGoat

« Reply #130 on: 04 Oct 2018, 19:17 »

It's sometimes difficult for us meat types to tell individuals of some robot chassis models apart, but is that a portrait of Punchbot on the wall behind Melon?  Is he Uncle Bart to Roko?

I'm not sure I even want to know what the pent on the floor is for.

Greymoon

• Plantmonster
« Reply #131 on: 04 Oct 2018, 19:37 »

All I could of while reading this one was "YOU NO TAKE CANDLE", like the kobolds from World of Warcraft...
DO NOT TAINT PEGASUS COVE WITH TALK OF DILDOS

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #132 on: 04 Oct 2018, 20:30 »

Now, is Melon just RANDOMLY in Roko's apartment, or is Roko visiting her?   :?

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #133 on: 04 Oct 2018, 20:52 »

They live together. This was previously established.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #134 on: 04 Oct 2018, 20:56 »

I thought they were neighbors. Melon's roommate is the golden robot that cooks battery soup.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #135 on: 04 Oct 2018, 21:00 »

We know Melon has the door code for Roko's apartment though we've never been told why.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #136 on: 04 Oct 2018, 22:37 »

Maybe it's just something Melon does every time Roko is a bit late in coming home. She certainly doesn't seem surprised by it.

Ok, now I'm imagining Melon in Raven's coven. Hijinks and slapstick ensue.
« Last Edit: 04 Oct 2018, 23:22 by Cornelius »

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #137 on: 04 Oct 2018, 23:17 »

I've long suspected that Melon likes being scared into an emergency shut-down and today's strip seems to confirm that. FWIW, I suspect that her 'job' is an extra at an amusement park's chamber of horrors. She simulates dying in horrified agony in a vermin pit eight hours a day for the amusement of families!

We know that Melon is interested if she has an unlisted component called a 'soul' (she asked a priest about that once). She may have heard somewhere that demonic creatures are interested in buying souls so she's decided to summon one and see if she has any 'currency' with which to barter. If it says 'your wallet is empty' or words to that effect, she knows she hasn't got a soul.

There is a very good reason for believing that putting Emily and Melon together in the same room might be a hideous mistake. :-o
~~~~

jesslc

• Furry furrier
« Reply #138 on: 05 Oct 2018, 01:00 »

I'm pretty sure that's Roko's appartment. Note the cabinet under the picture in this strip: https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3700

And for comparison - Melon and Arthur's appartment: https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3643
They seem to go in for a more... hmm...  what do you call the decorating equivalent of "social appropriate greeting" anyway?

Edited to add:
We know Melon has the door code for Roko's apartment though we've never been told why.
Maybe the vain hope that it will stop Melon from breaking down the door? (https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3706)

Also I was initially amazed at how many people are overly invested in the characters' hair styles but then I remembered some of the responses I got when I shaved off my (long) hair for charity and yeah... what someone else chooses to do with their hair isn't really any of your business - so why do other people care so much about it? Is this part of the thing where some people think they should get a say in how women look? Ie. if you (a woman) don't look as attractive as you can (in that person's eyes) then clearly you're bad/wrong/ugly/whatever. Never mind that I was shaving my head to raise money for charity. To be fair, I did get plenty of positive responses too.

Momo doesn’t like her hair now so I hope she can grow it out again and/or find a style that she likes. Hanners' hair is cool though, I like it and think it suits her where she's at now.

Hey, hey, maybe one of the guys can grow their hair out. That'll inprove the balance of long to short hair right?  :-P
« Last Edit: 05 Oct 2018, 01:36 by jesslc »

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #139 on: 05 Oct 2018, 03:48 »

What I like is how completely unsurprised Roko is at finding Melon attempting to summon demons in her living room.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #140 on: 05 Oct 2018, 06:52 »

I hope that pentagram isn’t for transmutation.  Knowing Melon she might accidentally turn herself into a human girl.

Marco

• Not quite an earthling
« Reply #141 on: 05 Oct 2018, 07:32 »

Also I was initially amazed at how many people are overly invested in the characters' hair styles but then I remembered some of the responses I got when I shaved off my (long) hair for charity and yeah... what someone else chooses to do with their hair isn't really any of your business - so why do other people care so much about it? Is this part of the thing where some people think they should get a say in how women look? Ie. if you (a woman) don't look as attractive as you can (in that person's eyes) then clearly you're bad/wrong/ugly/whatever. Never mind that I was shaving my head to raise money for charity. To be fair, I did get plenty of positive responses too.

This reminds me one time when a work colleague (a professor) shaved off her hair, just for the looks of it. Most students just assumed she was doing chemotherapy (really!). Watching them asking her politely if she was sick was both amusing and awkward.

Marco

• Not quite an earthling
« Reply #142 on: 05 Oct 2018, 07:36 »

I hope that pentagram isn’t for transmutation.  Knowing Melon she might accidentally turn herself into a human girl.

Maybe she is trying to contact Spookybot... to turn her into a human girl, like the Blue Fairy.
« Last Edit: 05 Oct 2018, 07:44 by Marco »

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #143 on: 05 Oct 2018, 08:02 »

OK, didn't know that stuff existed...

But... but then... how have you managed to stay ALIVE!!!

:-D
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

cybersmurf

« Reply #144 on: 05 Oct 2018, 09:30 »

OK, didn't know that stuff existed...

But... but then... how have you managed to stay ALIVE!!!

:-D

I made it barely, day by day, Saturday night by Saturday night, feverishl,.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #145 on: 05 Oct 2018, 12:03 »

Maybe she is trying to contact Spookybot... to turn her into a human girl, like the Blue Fairy.

All she has to is say their name 3 times.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #146 on: 05 Oct 2018, 12:35 »

The problem being that we don’t know Spookybots’ actual name. Or if they even have one.

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?
« Reply #147 on: 05 Oct 2018, 12:59 »

Just had a random thought that popped into my head. Does spookybot refer to themselves using "We, they," and such pronouns because they're a collective of independent intelligences (or separate nodes of a single intelligence), or because they're genderless? Maybe both?

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #148 on: 05 Oct 2018, 13:33 »

I interpret Spookybot as a single consciousness distributed across multiple robot bodies. Said bodies are fairly androgynous but (at least to my eyes) lean slightly towards the female end of the spectrum. Still, concepts like “gender” may be irrelevant to them.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #149 on: 05 Oct 2018, 14:16 »

No, but what Melon is doing is the ritualistic version of repeatedly ringing someone's phone and hanging up when they answer.

Its very rude.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up