Accounting (Hello, Punchbot!)
- 1 (2.2%)
Lawyer.
- 3 (6.7%)
Social Work (ewwwww)
- 6 (13.3%)
Spathe Ham & Waffles!
- 2 (4.4%)
Purple Monkey Dishwashers (with Sexy Unicorns)
- 1 (2.2%)
Other
- 3 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 3841-3845 (1-5 October 2018)  (Read 44523 times)

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
Re: WCDT strips 3841-3845 (1-5 October 2018)
« Reply #50 on: 02 Oct 2018, 05:01 »

"What should Roko take up next?"

Baking, obviously!

Just imagine all the hot... steamy... wet kneading involved... That would be bread made with much sweet, sweet love! (If that section sounded hot and kind of disgusting at the same time, it was the effect I was looking for)
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #51 on: 02 Oct 2018, 05:01 »

Rice. Way more dangerous you would think.......................

For example, it is a potential sinking hazard for old-style freighter ships. Rice grains are low-density when wet and large concentrations can actually act like floats. There are examples of where flooding of cargo bays filled with rice have capsized ships due to the floating rice sacks lifting the centre of mass too high!

"What should Roko take up next?"

Baking, obviously!

Just imagine all the hot... steamy... wet kneading involved... That would be bread made with much sweet, sweet love!

That would really be enabling an addict though! Imagine all the theft of goods she'd be tempted to do!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #52 on: 02 Oct 2018, 05:09 »

Di... did Momo burn off half her hair in a freak rice-addent? D:

...Yes, yes it does appear that happened.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #53 on: 02 Oct 2018, 05:37 »

How TF do you screw up rice? It's super-easy. First, soak for half an hour, 2 cups of water per cup of white rice, three cups if you have brown or sweet/glutinous/sushi rice. Stir ONCE. Simmer on medium heat, with the lid slightly off-set. RESIST THE URGE TO STIR. If you run out of water before you reach desired tenderness, drizzle in more water. Serve with whatever the fuck you want. I've seen mayo, ketchup, soy sauce, fish flakes, seaweed flakes, in a taco, in a burrito, in a sushi, milk, in a shake, and probably more in the replies.

It's a carbohydrate. You eat it.

Soak, stir, simmer... realize you have something you need to do and go do it while you're waiting to help resist the urge to stir, that leads to something else to do, next thing you know half your house is filled with smoke and your rice and pan are both ruined.

No, this isn't personal experience, why do you ask?

Yeah, I 'heard' about that one, too ...  :oops:

(I also may or may not know somebody who probably owes his life to Rizla-papers ...)
« Last Edit: 02 Oct 2018, 05:45 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Marco

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Not quite an earthling
« Reply #54 on: 02 Oct 2018, 06:33 »

Quote from: JoeCovenant link=topic=34235.msg1413897#msg1413897 date=1538395777[/quote

Aye, but is it Broon sass or Rayd sass??

(NB: This joke may not work if the reader is not Scottish)
I get that it's "brown sass or red sass" but the joke is still lost on me.

[edit] oh "sauce", okay, nvm.

Looks like we need something like explainxkcd.com - maybe explainWCDT.questionablecontent.net

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #55 on: 02 Oct 2018, 07:00 »

I'm guessing they exploded the rice cooker...

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #56 on: 02 Oct 2018, 07:20 »

This has a very "mom walks in on her kids just  after traumatic mishap" vibe to it and I love it.
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #57 on: 02 Oct 2018, 08:07 »

For example, it is a potential sinking hazard for old-style freighter ships. Rice grains are low-density when wet and large concentrations can actually act like floats. There are examples of where flooding of cargo bays filled with rice have capsized ships due to the floating rice sacks lifting the centre of mass too high.
To be fair, of it gets to the point of sacks and bales floating, you probably have other things to worry about. And when some of the bulk has broken, that'll choke your pumps,  so abandon ship is looking like a sensible order.
Of course, the rice absorbing water will give you some more issues, if only due to an increase in weight. Aside from being fired for losing more than the acceptable part of your cargo.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #58 on: 02 Oct 2018, 08:09 »

Don't worry about Momo's pigtails, I'm sure she has spares, just like Chiyo-chan.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #59 on: 02 Oct 2018, 08:37 »

For example, it is a potential sinking hazard for old-style freighter ships. Rice grains are low-density when wet and large concentrations can actually act like floats. There are examples of where flooding of cargo bays filled with rice have capsized ships due to the floating rice sacks lifting the centre of mass too high.
To be fair, of it gets to the point of sacks and bales floating, you probably have other things to worry about. And when some of the bulk has broken, that'll choke your pumps,  so abandon ship is looking like a sensible order.
Of course, the rice absorbing water will give you some more issues, if only due to an increase in weight. Aside from being fired for losing more than the acceptable part of your cargo.

For an entertaining story relevant to this discussion, see ”Hornblower and the Cargo of Rice”, in the story collection Mr. Midshipman Hornblower by C. S. Forester.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

dutchrvl

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #60 on: 02 Oct 2018, 08:50 »

How do you mess up cooking rice anyway? Short out the rice cooker? cover the microwave dish with aluminium foil? actually getting the dry rice to burn on a gas stove?

... actually the last thing does sound somewhat reasonable, fumbling the rice package, dropping it in the flame. And I consider it a possibility that Marigold has a somewhat messy kitchen, that somehow is a bit more prone to catching fire than a tidy kitchen.

If you cook rice in a simple pan with boiling water, it's actually very simple to mess it up; forget it's on and it'll leave a tremendously blackened pan (that you usually will have to throw out after) after the water has gone.

Cooking rice in a pan with surplus water was at least until I moved abroad (in 2005) the most common method in the Netherlands, rice cookers were rare. Since students eat a lot of rice dishes, have no rice cookers, and are not necessarily great at cooking and easily distracted --> burning rice happens somewhat regularly ;)

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #61 on: 02 Oct 2018, 16:07 »

Rice cookers were invented for a reason.

They could’ve been using an experimental rice cooker Hannelore’s Dad sent them.

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #62 on: 02 Oct 2018, 19:10 »

The answer is actually the Ramones.
Yeah, I said it.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #63 on: 02 Oct 2018, 19:17 »

"I wanna be sedated..."
Just another Joe like 46

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #64 on: 02 Oct 2018, 19:34 »

And Jeph's Hair Disease strikes again.  :psyduck:

This is probably the most creative way yet that he's done it, though.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #65 on: 02 Oct 2018, 20:31 »

Well, we now have a good reason to visit Union Robotics: fixing the hair. Plus a damage check, just in case...

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #66 on: 02 Oct 2018, 21:07 »

Rice cookers were invented for a reason.

They could’ve been using an experimental rice cooker Hannelore’s Dad sent them.

A sentient one either unstable or subject to serious communication breakdowns.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

snufflebottoms

• Furry furrier
« Reply #67 on: 02 Oct 2018, 21:12 »

Jeph's vendetta against long hair is kind of annoying. I mean, not really content related but it makes the comic boring. Oh well lol. 

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #68 on: 02 Oct 2018, 22:00 »

On the other hand, the incident does give May an opportunity to show some concern for someone else. I find she's becoming more likeable.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.
« Reply #69 on: 02 Oct 2018, 22:04 »

Whatever trends the comic may have for/against long hair, I think Momo's new charred punk look is pretty good!
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

efindumb

« Reply #70 on: 02 Oct 2018, 22:57 »

On the other hand, the incident does give May an opportunity to show some concern for someone else. I find she's becoming more likeable.

She's already showing it just by trying to stay positive, I just hope they see that side of her since she showed she cared about Momo instead of making a crack about Dale and Marigold's screw up.

Sorflakne

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #71 on: 02 Oct 2018, 22:59 »

As an anthropc, shouldn't Momo be always be connected to the Internet, or at least have a ready connection?  It should be all of a simple action to google pretty much anything.
If you want to see what God and Satan look like, look in the mirror.

efindumb

« Reply #72 on: 02 Oct 2018, 23:00 »

Jeph's vendetta against long hair is kind of annoying. I mean, not really content related but it makes the comic boring. Oh well lol.

It's not that either, the worst part to me is he's doing it just for the sake of doing it and changing longstanding characters without a reason to do it. Momo is the first to change hairstyle for a reason, every other one was without it. Some of them look terrible, sorry Hanners and Sam just don't look good!

At the risk of pissing off hte moderators for insulting the almighty Jeph I just hope that he's going somewhere with this because it's gotten to the point that he's only got Veronica and Marten unchanged.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #73 on: 02 Oct 2018, 23:03 »

As an anthropc, shouldn't Momo be always be connected to the Internet, or at least have a ready connection?  It should be all of a simple action to google pretty much anything.

Tova googles "Momo's favourite Sex Pistol"

Huh. Nothing relevant.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #74 on: 02 Oct 2018, 23:16 »

It's not that either, the worst part to me is he's doing it just for the sake of doing it and changing longstanding characters without a reason to do it. Momo is the first to change hairstyle for a reason, every other one was without it. Some of them look terrible, sorry Hanners and Sam just don't look good!

At the risk of pissing off hte moderators for insulting the almighty Jeph I just hope that he's going somewhere with this because it's gotten to the point that he's only got Veronica and Marten unchanged.

It's a slice of life comic, and changing is a most natural part of life.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #75 on: 02 Oct 2018, 23:21 »

May shows concern for other people. Just not overtly.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #76 on: 02 Oct 2018, 23:35 »

So, from panel 2, I suspect that Marigold and Dale were trying to make fried rice and, when things went wrong (and Noodle Incident rules mean we'll probably never know exactly what that was) panic set it. I suspect that Momo was drawn from whatever she was doing by the increasingly loud screams and other sounds of panic as well as a blaring fire alarm. It probably would have been a little late to insert care and actual data about how to cook friend rice by that point!

What makes this different from Jeph's other random hair-murders is that he recognises that Momo does not want this. What remains to be seen is what happens next because something tells me that he doesn't intend to reset Momo's hair back to the way it was before and I genuinely shudder to imagine what Faye and May may consider a 'low-cost fix' in this matter.

I think that people are missing the joke in panel 4. The point is that May doesn't know anything about the Pistols either and is randomly dropping in the name of another band either out of ignorance or because she genuinely wants to see the outcome of Momo giving a punk enthusiast that answer!

I want to include a comment that I made on Patreon on the subject of character appearance in order to encourage debate:

Hair isn't just an adornment. In comic characters, it also is a part of what communicates their personalities. Hanners's scrappy hair reminded us of her crippling mental health issues and growing it out communicated her improvement. Whilst I could see why she might copy Faye's look, it still felt like a step back.

So, with Momo, her hair communicated her golden-hearted nature and her essential goodness. It's part of what makes her stand out and let us see who she is. Without it, she's just a pink May!

Anyone agree/disagree strongly enough to comment?
~~~~

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #77 on: 02 Oct 2018, 23:40 »

Motorhead is the band.  Lemmy was the person nay legend. 

I don't know why Momo is getting worked up about this.  If Bubbles can grow out her hair she can do the same.  Perhaps hair car is another service Union Robotics can offer to bring in new customers. 

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #78 on: 02 Oct 2018, 23:48 »

It's a slice of life comic, and changing is a most natural part of life.

Except that all the change is in one direction, and having reached the equilibrium/desired position of maximum author appeal, I doubt they'll change back/further.

I once heard classical physics described thus:
"Objects at rest tend to stay at rest, and objects in motion tend to come to rest.  And ____ saw that this was boring."
(Picture a flat plane with a scattering of motionless balls.  Eventually one rolls slowly into frame and stops.  Continue holding on that frame as long as you can stand.)

Like, at this point I'm half-expecting Veronica to be sporting a bob when she next shows up.
And then, I think, I will finally be Done With QC.
« Last Edit: 03 Oct 2018, 01:23 by St.Clair »

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #79 on: 03 Oct 2018, 01:31 »

I think that people are missing the joke in panel 4. The point is that May doesn't know anything about the Pistols either and is randomly dropping in the name of another band either out of ignorance or because she genuinely wants to see the outcome of Momo giving a punk enthusiast that answer!

Interesting, but I had a different interpretation.

Motorhead did a cover of a Sex Pistols song. If you thought it was better than the original, you'd probably say that Motorhead was your favourite Sex Pistol.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #80 on: 03 Oct 2018, 02:24 »

If you really want to mess with them you say that Ringo was the best Sex Pistol.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Gyrre

« Reply #81 on: 03 Oct 2018, 03:00 »

Maybe she got screwed over by a Windows update or a software glitch. An over-reliance on tech can really mess you over.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #82 on: 03 Oct 2018, 05:16 »

"Twenty-twenty-twenty-four hours to gooooo... I wanna be sedated..."
Just another Joe like 46

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #83 on: 03 Oct 2018, 05:18 »

If you really want to mess with them you say that Ringo was the best Sex Pistol.

At least, that would make him the best something, I guess...

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #84 on: 03 Oct 2018, 05:22 »

A cover of God Save the Queen by Motörhead:

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #85 on: 03 Oct 2018, 07:35 »

Quote from: JoeCovenant link=topic=34235.msg1413897#msg1413897 date=1538395777[/quote

Aye, but is it Broon sass or Rayd sass??

(NB: This joke may not work if the reader is not Scottish)
I get that it's "brown sass or red sass" but the joke is still lost on me.

[edit] oh "sauce", okay, nvm.

Looks like we need something like explainxkcd.com - maybe explainWCDT.questionablecontent.net
The problem is that I was still reading "sass" to rhyme with "ass" not with "toss".
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #86 on: 03 Oct 2018, 08:03 »

Dang! Ninja'ed
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?
« Reply #87 on: 03 Oct 2018, 12:33 »

So, just out of curiosity, would it offend you to know that I cut off all my long hair a couple months ago just to do it?

People change their hair, they don't need a reason. It doesn't have to mean something.

notStanley

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #88 on: 03 Oct 2018, 12:57 »

While my personal preferences are longer hair can look much nicer, I also acknowledge it is up to each person to decide how much effort they want to put into maintaining it.  My mornings spend just a hundred seconds on what I have left, towel dry & comb.

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #89 on: 03 Oct 2018, 13:03 »

While my personal preferences are longer hair can look much nicer, I also acknowledge it is up to each person to decide how much effort they want to put into maintaining it.  My mornings spend just a hundred seconds on what I have left, towel dry & comb.
I know about that.  My hairline isn't retreating, my forehead is advancing.  Give it a couple more years and I'll look like Punchbot.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #90 on: 03 Oct 2018, 17:30 »

Welcome, new person!

I've been wondering what kind of haircut to get to prepare for repairing the bare patches in my lawn. I may go for a reseeding hairline.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

SmilingCat

• You is friend or food?
« Reply #91 on: 03 Oct 2018, 18:42 »

You know, I don't get the "punk" description of Momo's new inadvertent doo. Maybe it's just because how it's drawn, but it really just looks non-specifically short-ish.

Tyr

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #92 on: 03 Oct 2018, 18:58 »

I think it's"Punkish" because it came out asymmetrical.
Just going through life.

SmilingCat

• You is friend or food?
« Reply #93 on: 03 Oct 2018, 19:01 »

For some reason I didn't notice the asymmetry at first.

wlewisiii

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #94 on: 03 Oct 2018, 20:14 »

A cover of God Save the Queen by Motörhead:

Not bad but I prefer their cover of Bowie for my Hopepunk needs...

Emily is the Avatar.

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.
« Reply #95 on: 03 Oct 2018, 21:00 »

So, just out of curiosity, would it offend you to know that I cut off all my long hair a couple months ago just to do it?

People change their hair, they don't need a reason. It doesn't have to mean something.

Seriously. ITT I found out some folks read way too much into hair choices.

On topic: aww, lookit May being her best possible self. :3
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #96 on: 03 Oct 2018, 21:28 »

It's just frustrating when it seems like every single character ends up with short hair - Marigold is the one exception among what I would consider the regular cast at this point (Penny and Cosette, we see so rarely, Roko's too new, and Veronica really doesn't show up that much).  Jeph's characters, of course, his choice what to do with their hair. 

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #97 on: 03 Oct 2018, 21:32 »

I'm not enjoying it.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Nycticoraci

• Plantmonster
« Reply #98 on: 03 Oct 2018, 22:09 »

The exploding rice reminds me so much of when I was backpacking through Europe. When I was in Stockholm, the hostel I was staying at had a basement kitchen with "free pasta".

Now, I don't know how people manage to burn pasta, but I was there for 3 nights (with me only in the building to sleep and wash, otherwise out in the city). Over those 3 nights the building fire alarm went off 7 times with me in the building, with 4 of those times being between 2-5am. By the end of it, we'd generally have someone in the room stick their head out the door, say "You burn pasta, no fire?", and on hearing yes, bury our heads in pillows until the alarm stopped.

We weren't overly safety conscious.

Mind you, I was worse by the end of my trip.
I remember in Madrid checking into one, and them saying, oh but sorry you won't be able to stay in the room just yet, one of the hot water tanks fell through the roof onto a bed. My only reaction was, that's fine, I'll just put my bag in my locker and go out touristing. It's scary in retrospect how your standards of "a safe place to spend the night" change.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #99 on: 03 Oct 2018, 23:22 »

New Comic Up

In some ways, I feel great empathy for May here. All she wants to be is a grumpy, bitter and antisocial misanthrope. Instead, here she finds herself having to care for and help friends old and new! What will this do to her self-image? :-D Seriously, I think that, at some point, she's going to go to Bubbles and ask her if she really is a Tsundere!

May is a rough girl but she has a heart of gold. What is interesting is that she clearly doesn't like this. She feels that she should be nasty and mean but she just can't quite make it stick when she's dealing with people whom she has started to care about!
~~~~

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up