Accounting (Hello, Punchbot!)
- 1 (2.2%)
Lawyer.
- 3 (6.7%)
Social Work (ewwwww)
- 6 (13.3%)
Spathe Ham & Waffles!
- 2 (4.4%)
Purple Monkey Dishwashers (with Sexy Unicorns)
- 1 (2.2%)
Other
- 3 (6.7%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 3841-3845 (1-5 October 2018)  (Read 44254 times)

Perfectly Reasonable

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
Re: WCDT strips 3841-3845 (1-5 October 2018)
« Reply #150 on: 05 Oct 2018, 18:34 »

And when Melon hears Roko's response to 'How was work?', the candle on her head fizzes out.
Sorta the inverse of the 'light bulb goes on over head' trope?
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #151 on: 05 Oct 2018, 19:54 »

Demons hate her.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Baleanopter

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #152 on: 05 Oct 2018, 20:19 »

I wonder what you do though if you were a Private Investibaker?

You trace the origins and ingredients of endless varieties of Schwarzbrot ...
(Delicious when fresh. Doubles as throwable weapon when not.)
Aren't those mostly varying degrees of poorly-milled rye?
"Awoouuu   woooouuu." Thus spake The Great Whale.

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #153 on: 05 Oct 2018, 21:56 »

I hope that pentagram isn’t for transmutation.  Knowing Melon she might accidentally turn herself into a human girl.

No, but what Melon is doing is the ritualistic version of repeatedly ringing someone's phone and hanging up when they answer.

Its very rude.

Demons hate her.

Either that and they have no power over AIs, because they have a rep for tearing mortals who summon them for no reason to smithereens.  Or maybe they find her amusing or even think she's kind of cute.  Or maybe she works for them and was just calling to check on her schedule for the week.

SeattleCrochetWoman

• Plantmonster
« Reply #154 on: 06 Oct 2018, 00:59 »

It's not that either, the worst part to me is he's doing it just for the sake of doing it and changing longstanding characters without a reason to do it. Momo is the first to change hairstyle for a reason, every other one was without it. Some of them look terrible, sorry Hanners and Sam just don't look good!

At the risk of pissing off hte moderators for insulting the almighty Jeph I just hope that he's going somewhere with this because it's gotten to the point that he's only got Veronica and Marten unchanged.

So, just out of curiosity, would it offend you to know that I cut off all my long hair a couple months ago just to do it?

People change their hair, they don't need a reason. It doesn't have to mean something.

It's just frustrating when it seems like every single character ends up with short hair - Marigold is the one exception among what I would consider the regular cast at this point (Penny and Cosette, we see so rarely, Roko's too new, and Veronica really doesn't show up that much).  Jeph's characters, of course, his choice what to do with their hair.

As a woman, I’m actually happy to see a comic in which women are able to have short hair and don’t feel they have to justify it.  I remember at one time it was acceptable for women to have short hair if they wanted. They were still sonsidered attractive (not that that’s everything). I think in the 1950s, early 1960s and 1980s, short hair wasn’t frowned upon. Not anymore. You never see short hair on women. Even older women. We have to have it at least between our chins and our shoulders and I’m sick of it.
« Last Edit: 06 Oct 2018, 01:25 by SeattleCrochetWoman »

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #155 on: 06 Oct 2018, 01:52 »

Never?

Who on earth frowns upon short hair for women?
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #156 on: 06 Oct 2018, 06:08 »

A quick look around seems to suggest that never is a bit of an overstatement.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #157 on: 06 Oct 2018, 07:04 »

Hmmmmh - When Sinéad O'Connor shaved her head for her debut music-video in '87, everybody talked about it. Today that's hardly even a fashion-statement anymore. And I'm not so sure the 50 and 60 were that permissive.

But I certainly could stand to hear less of the "WaaaaaaaahJephHatesLongHairOnWomenWaaaaaaaah" - nonsense.

"Her head, Her choice"
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #158 on: 06 Oct 2018, 07:08 »

But I certainly could stand to hear less of the "WaaaaaaaahJephHatesLongHairOnWomenWaaaaaaaah" - nonsense.

"Her head, Her choice"

Jeph has actually said on his Twitter that he prefers short hair on women and looks for every opportunity to give his female characters short hair (something about necks, IIRC).

He doesn't even bother to make it 'her choice', it's just author's fiat that he rarely, if ever, bothers to explain properly.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #159 on: 06 Oct 2018, 07:48 »

it's just author's fiat that he rarely, if ever, bothers to explain properly.

Why would you like the female characters to explain their choice of hairstyle, Ben?

Jeph has actually said on his Twitter that he prefers short hair on women

Hmmmmmh ... 🤔 You know, that looks like an explanation to me?
« Last Edit: 06 Oct 2018, 09:16 by Case »
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #160 on: 06 Oct 2018, 09:29 »

Why would you like the female characters to explain their choice of hairstyle, Ben?

This. Seriously, women change our hair. We don't have to have a reason to do it, let alone explain it to anyone. i am perplexed at the amount of emotional energy men here are expending in response to women's hair styles. Some of seem to be acting like women not having long hair is some sort of affront to you.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #161 on: 06 Oct 2018, 09:36 »

When beauty goes out of the world without the consent of those who carried it, I may be sad out loud.

Emily was drunk, Hannelore was in a panic attack about lice, Momo lost hers in an accident. I feel differently about conscious free choices like Bubbles made.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #162 on: 06 Oct 2018, 10:08 »

I'm a guy, and I change my hair relatively frequently.  I've done the buzzcut, I've done the part and the bangs and I've been clean-shaven, had muttonchop sideburns, had a mustache, etc...  These days I'm wearing a goatee (well, maybe the beard's a little too long now to be called that anymore) and a ponytail, which, sadly, are increasingly gray.

And people always ask me why. 

I don't get any reason why *not*.  Sometimes it's summer and it's hot and I want to cut my hair short.  Sometimes the changes are traditional observations or psychological reactions, like the "grief" haircut that still seems to be part of my mourning process after people important to me pass.  Sometimes I grow my hair long because people who I am very glad to have in my life like it that way.  And sometimes it's just a whim.  A million reasons, none of which are relevant to the questioner.

But, the reasons really don't matter, except to me.  People don't understand how I can let my appearance change, and as long as it doesn't impair anything, I don't understand why they care.

People can't be prevented from demanding explanations for changes, I suppose.  But it's just silly.  And possibly even rude, depending on whether it's someone who's sensitive to a possible expression of disapproval.  I could generally care less about whether someone disapproves of my hairstyle, but I'm a guy.  Part of my male privilege is that I'm allowed to not care. 

Women generally don't feel that they have that privilege.  So just shut up about it, because that triples the risk of being just plain rude whether you intend to be disapproving or not.
« Last Edit: 06 Oct 2018, 10:16 by Morituri »

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #163 on: 06 Oct 2018, 11:25 »

When beauty goes out of the world without the consent of those who carried it, I may be sad out loud.

Yeah, that's basically how I feel: Beauty being taken out of the world for no good reason.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Stoutfellow

• Curry sauce
« Reply #164 on: 06 Oct 2018, 11:37 »

If you're talking about blowing up millennia-old statues or shredding a painting, I have no quarrel. But when the beauty in question is an attribute of a person, asking for a reason seems a bit problematic to me.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #165 on: 06 Oct 2018, 12:12 »

Yeah, that's basically how I feel: Beauty being taken out of the world for no good reason.

Again, women (or really, anyone) do not exist just for you. Their appearance does not exist for your enjoyment. Being upset because their appearance no longer meets your standards of beauty and demanding an explanation you deem satisfactory reeks of entitlement. We are not works of art, we are people.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #166 on: 06 Oct 2018, 12:41 »

Again, women (or really, anyone) do not exist just for you. Their appearance does not exist for your enjoyment. Being upset because their appearance no longer meets your standards of beauty and demanding an explanation you deem satisfactory reeks of entitlement. We are not works of art, we are people.
So what is your stance on women who are forced to keep their hair short to meet some guy’s standards of beauty regardless of how they feel about it?
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #167 on: 06 Oct 2018, 14:38 »

I don't feel like caring about or "forcing" real people to do something with their hair is nearly the same as a sole author of a property and characters, changing those designs to meet their whims or preference. Sounds obvious but some people are talking about one thing, other about the other, and are sometimes treating these things with the same context and weight in their responses.

I personally do find Jeph semi-regularly changing the ladies hair to short tiresome. Not because I demand the character look how I want them to, but I do have a personal preference. Also when so many of the characters have short hair, the ones with long hair stand out more and if a change to short hair happens, it lessens the diversity of the character designs. I also think it's worth pointing out people are talking about women's hair, because the majority of Jeph's characters are women and they're the ones mostly having their designs changed in the same pattern.

You can do lots of different short hair designs, but in the last couple years n particular we've seen Faye (her hair has grown a bit now), Hannelore and Tai changed to the similar short on sides, long on top design. Sam has a version too but it's more a bowl. For me, I think it's just kinda disappointing to make it so characters have a bit less uniqueness. It's okay to express that disappointment or frustration, or even admiration or pleasure if you happen to prefer whatever the new look is.

There's also truth that women and femme presenting people do get shit when they have short hair. Lots of people associate long hair with femininity and they think if you're a woman you must want to look your most womanly all the time, and short hair goes against that so that's a Bad ThingTM. People will tell a stranger with short hair to tell her she'd be so pretty if she grew her hair out, or she'll never find a man looking like that (assuming that's something she even wants). Although we're not talking about real individuals doing something and people responding. I'm reminded of men people saying in response to complaints that lady comic characters having revealing or sexualised outfits and poses, by saying that's slut-shaming those women character's choices. Except it's not a real woman deciding to wear whatever of her own free will, it's a character designed by a man using the same tired tropes we've seen before.

Jeph having a preference for a hairstyle isn't on that level, but in both cases it's the creator's choice. We're just reacting. We can talk about it, but we still have to remember and accept it's the creator's prerogative. Also rereading an old thread I saw a good comment.

I was also going to make the point that it takes about five minutes to cut your hair short, and many many many months to grow it back. I've been growing out my fringe since April and it's still not quite long enough to tuck behind my ears.

And the five-minute change is a lot more fun for an artist--"Woo!  Character x has a new look!"  Deciding to have character x grow her hair out, having to remember to lengthen it incrementally for several QC-time months (maybe years in non-QC time) and keep track of where you are in the process, would just be tedious.

Also I'm kinda tired of the circle this week of:
"I'm complaining about thing."
"I'm complaining about you complaining about thing."
"I'm complaining about you complaining about complaining about thing."

Which I am now contributing to, but fuck it. That's what this space is for, nitpicking and discussion. I just think this week it's reached a weird point.

Thread recommendation:
Sexism

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #168 on: 06 Oct 2018, 15:34 »

When beauty goes out of the world

Defining beauty as being (or even requiring) long hair (specifically in women, I presume, because the issue isn't being brought up for men) is both completely and utterly inaccurate, and sexist.  Shame on you.

Of course, forcing any change without agreement is bad, but that's nothing to do with beauty - forcibly giving someone a better haircut would also be reprehensible.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

OldGoat

« Reply #169 on: 06 Oct 2018, 15:52 »

Defining beauty as being (or even requiring) long hair (specifically in women, I presume, because the issue isn't being brought up for men) is both completely and utterly inaccurate, and sexist.  Shame on you.

Of course, forcing any change without agreement is bad, but that's nothing to do with beauty - forcibly giving someone a better haircut would also be reprehensible.

When I was in high school guys had to wear long hair to express their individuality.  That was the beginning of my journey into cynicism about my own generation.

If you want to change your hair or anything else to please another (presumably a significant other), go for it, but it's probably best to talk with them about it first.  If that'd be too awkward a conversation or your communications suck such that you still won't be sure whether they'll be okay with it or not, reconsider the relationship before you do anything else.

(For the record, I'm a cis male who likes long hair, but a pixie cut that makes me half expect to see Spock ears is just fine, too.)

brilligtove

• Plantmonster
  • Ignorance can be cured. Stupidity, you deal with.
« Reply #170 on: 06 Oct 2018, 16:32 »

It might just be sass as the constant, irrespective of gender or even species.

Aye, but is it Broon sass or Rayd sass??

(NB: This joke may not work if the reader is not Scottish)

Despite spending weekends in Glasgow for the better part of a year, my Canadian tongue never really got the hang of brown sauce. I don't recall ever hearing red sauce though - ketchup, maybe? I could have been too distracted by chip buddies and deep fried everything...

evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #171 on: 06 Oct 2018, 18:30 »

Wait, brown sauce isn't just gravy? Huh.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #172 on: 06 Oct 2018, 18:37 »

Sorry, but the whole "women cutting thier hair short is removing beauty from the world" concept was particularly irksome to me on a deep and visceral level. There's a lot of cultural baggage attached to that.
@syleegrrl

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #173 on: 06 Oct 2018, 19:22 »

Baggage which it would have been right for me to have considered before writing.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #174 on: 06 Oct 2018, 19:31 »

I don't agree that my esthetic opinion of the most beautiful look for Emily or Hannelore is cause for either shame or pride.

The most important part of that sentence was the without-consent part. Emily was too drunk to consent, Hannelore was driven by her mental illness, Momo had not even the appearance of choice. I believe you're agreeing on that aspect?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

OldGoat

« Reply #175 on: 07 Oct 2018, 01:22 »

Wait, brown sauce isn't just gravy? Huh.
Kind of like A-1 as I understand it.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #176 on: 07 Oct 2018, 04:05 »

Just had a random thought that popped into my head. Does spookybot refer to themselves using "We, they," and such pronouns because they're a collective of independent intelligences (or separate nodes of a single intelligence), or because they're genderless? Maybe both?

The fact that Spookybot seems to be shared between multiple bodies doesn't mean the use of plural is mandatory. For example, in Ann Leckie's "Imperial Radch" trilogy, several characters share their personality among multiple bodies, and refer to themselves as "I"...
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #177 on: 07 Oct 2018, 04:09 »

Germany is really the country of bread. They have so much different sorts of bread, you could eat a different one each day of the year.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #178 on: 07 Oct 2018, 04:38 »

The only character I really liked betted with long hair is Bubbles. And Sam should fire her hairstylist, not because of the shortness, but because her short hairstyle is horrible...

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #179 on: 07 Oct 2018, 04:48 »

Germany is really the country of bread. They have so much different sorts of bread, you could eat a different one each day of the year. for more than eight and a half years.

FYP  :-D

https://www.brotexperte.de/brotsorten/zahl-der-brotsorten-in-deutschland/

(Over 3200 different sorts of bread)

brilligtove

• Plantmonster
« Reply #180 on: 07 Oct 2018, 06:48 »

I just finished reading the thread since the red/brown sauce discussion 150 or so posts ago. So much emotional investment in how other people look. Wow. I mean, like what you like. Just don't expect - or worse, demand - that others to like what you like.
Then you were reading it right!In the auld doric dialect, (ahem) sass, meaning sauce, is pronounced as ass and not toss! :) Hence - the joke... Rayd sass (Red sauce), being tomato ketchup!

Thank you for pre-clarifying my question before I got through reading everything. The Lexicon Valley podcast is very quirky - you really have to listen from the start of McWhorter's hosting to ease into his style - but I love how he explores accents and pronounciation.

evidence trumps experience | performance over perfection | responsibility – authority = scapegoat | emotions motivate; data doesn't

cybersmurf

« Reply #181 on: 07 Oct 2018, 08:26 »

[removed image for shortening]

Germany is really the country of bread. They have so much different sorts of bread, you could eat a different one each day of the year.

You have NO idea how nice fresh bread is. The supermarket around the corner where I live does the final baking of some stuff in-house. So sometimes I get a still warm loaf of delicious bread, and I have to restrain myself to not eat two days worth of calories in bread in one sitting every. damn. time.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #182 on: 07 Oct 2018, 08:26 »

And I regret having reminded people of baggage that has hurt them, repeatedly and unjustly hurt them.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

cybersmurf

« Reply #183 on: 07 Oct 2018, 08:29 »

Germany is really the country of bread. They have so much different sorts of bread, you could eat a different one each day of the year. for more than eight and a half years.

I just clicked on that link, and there used to be an institution called "Bundesanstalt für Getreide-, Kartoffel- und Fettforschung", which literally translates as "federal institute for grain-, potato- and fat-research". And that made me laugh.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #184 on: 07 Oct 2018, 10:38 »

What should Roko take up next?

Baking.    12 (27.9%)
Private Investigations!    11 (25.6%)
Social Work (ewwwww)    6 (14%)
APC repair counseling!    5 (11.6%)
Lawyer.    3 (7%)
Accounting (Hello, Punchbot!)    1 (2.3%)
Spathe Ham & Waffles!    1 (2.3%)
Purple Monkey Dishwashers (with Sexy Unicorns)    1 (2.3%)

Other    3 (7%)

Total Members Voted: 43
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #185 on: 07 Oct 2018, 11:46 »

I don't agree that my esthetic opinion of the most beautiful look for Emily or Hannelore is cause for either shame or pride.

We agree on that, naturally.  I just saw another meaning in what you wrote before and was surprised - I'm sorry if I reacted too strongly too soon...

The most important part of that sentence was the without-consent part. Emily was too drunk to consent, Hannelore was driven by her mental illness, Momo had not even the appearance of choice. I believe you're agreeing on that aspect?

Indeed, and I said exactly that; but I just didn't tie the two parts of your post together as you intended, I think.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #186 on: 07 Oct 2018, 20:45 »

as "federal institute for grain-, potato- and fat-research". And that made me laugh.
Consider though that the science related to those foodstuffs is all that's preventing global starvation. My late uncles life's work was to do with preventing pest infestations of stored grain, especially in the tropics. I doubt it's an exaggeration to suggest he may have saved millions from famine.

cybersmurf

« Reply #187 on: 07 Oct 2018, 23:09 »

as "federal institute for grain-, potato- and fat-research". And that made me laugh.
Consider though that the science related to those foodstuffs is all that's preventing global starvation. My late uncles life's work was to do with preventing pest infestations of stored grain, especially in the tropics. I doubt it's an exaggeration to suggest he may have saved millions from famine.

Don't get me wrong, please. I'm not laughing at the very existence of the institute, but rather the name of it. Like it's OK to put grain and potato together, but FAT research? Also, it kind of feels like those typically German long names for something. But that might just be government related longness.

Also, I never understood the combination of the ATF in the US.

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #188 on: 07 Oct 2018, 23:52 »

It's hard to convey that to non-native speakers of German: German bureaucracy has a unique style - especially regarding names and neologisms - that is practically a language unto itself, and has been parodied countless times. Sometime I wonder whether they're trolling us.

Germans would say "schmerzfrei" - lit. "painfree", meaning that the person in question is unable to cringe or feel embarrassment.

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #189 on: 08 Oct 2018, 01:17 »

Like it's OK to put grain and potato together, but FAT research?
Presumably vegetable oils (which are basically chemically fats) and fats, with the context being food stuffs? It does make sense, honest. - or were you thinking fat=obesity?
« Last Edit: 08 Oct 2018, 01:48 by JimC »

cybersmurf

« Reply #190 on: 08 Oct 2018, 03:00 »

Like it's OK to put grain and potato together, but FAT research?
Presumably vegetable oils (which are basically chemically fats) and fats, with the context being food stuffs? It does make sense, honest. - or were you thinking fat=obesity?

... Kinda makes sense now. I did think fat as the substance, not the weight.

I wonder whether Roko's bread fetish is more like "the purer and simpler, the better" or more sophisticated.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #191 on: 08 Oct 2018, 10:50 »

Danke für die Webseite! So etwas hab ich schon lange gesucht!

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #192 on: 08 Oct 2018, 10:53 »

[removed image for shortening]

You have NO idea how nice fresh bread is. The supermarket around the corner where I live does the final baking of some stuff in-house. So sometimes I get a still warm loaf of delicious bread, and I have to restrain myself to not eat two days worth of calories in bread in one sitting every. damn. time.

Sorry, I'm failing to see the relation with my comment...

cybersmurf

« Reply #193 on: 08 Oct 2018, 11:06 »

Sorry, I'm failing to see the relation with my comment...
[/quote]

In hindsight, I don't see a relation either.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #194 on: 08 Oct 2018, 23:56 »

To try to take all the real-world baggage out of the picture:

To me, it's like Jeph just deciding he's going to start changing characters into spheres.  Every few weeks, someone else morphs into a shaded circle.  (Nothing else about them changes - their personality, their ability to interact with the world, etc.  Just how they're drawn or represented.)
Eventually, the comic is nothing but balls of various sizes and/or colors.
And his response, his reason for reducing/removing diversity in character design, is simply "I like spheres."

(and to those who are saying, "people do this/have a right to do this" etc - these characters don't have agency or free will in this case.  This is 100% Jeph's decision, not theirs.  They are being changed to please him.)
« Last Edit: 09 Oct 2018, 00:03 by St.Clair »

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #195 on: 09 Oct 2018, 19:44 »

What agency does a fictional character have? How would said character have any agency the author/artist/creator does not give that character?
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

brilligtove

• Plantmonster
« Reply #196 on: 10 Oct 2018, 00:17 »

To try to take all the real-world baggage out of the picture:

To me, it's like Jeph just deciding he's going to start changing characters into spheres.  Every few weeks, someone else morphs into a shaded circle.  (Nothing else about them changes - their personality, their ability to interact with the world, etc.  Just how they're drawn or represented.)
Eventually, the comic is nothing but balls of various sizes and/or colors.
And his response, his reason for reducing/removing diversity in character design, is simply "I like spheres."

(and to those who are saying, "people do this/have a right to do this" etc - these characters don't have agency or free will in this case.  This is 100% Jeph's decision, not theirs.  They are being changed to please him.)

Is this a fair representation of what is happening? Your analogy implies that Jeph is removing everything meaningful about the character's visual representation, and that this change is either wrong or distasteful.

I don't think any analogy is needed to state what's happining. This looks like a simple case of an artist with an artistic vision that they are pursuing. You don't like that vision, or the way it is being pursued, or both. That's perfectly acceptable. No one is obligated to follow an artist in their artistic journey. The artist is not obligated to follow a path that anyone else desires either.

I guess I don't grok the underlying source of your concern? If an artist pursues a vision I don't enjoy, I don't devote attention to that artist anymore, or at least not the work that isn't my thing. I might tell them "your new direction isn't for me" but that is followed with "but thanks for all the art you've created." I don't expect their work to conform to my expectations unless I am commissioning a piece.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #197 on: 10 Oct 2018, 01:32 »

Is QC about hairstyles or mild social drama and commentary?

cybersmurf

« Reply #198 on: 10 Oct 2018, 01:40 »

Is QC about hairstyles or mild social drama and commentary?

Welcome to the Internet.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #199 on: 10 Oct 2018, 07:02 »

This looks like a simple case of an artist with an artistic vision that they are pursuing.
You don't like that vision, or the way it is being pursued, or both.
That's perfectly acceptable. No one is obligated to follow an artist in their artistic journey.
The artist is not obligated to follow a path that anyone else desires either.

I guess I don't grok the underlying source of your concern? If an artist pursues a vision I don't enjoy, I don't devote attention to that artist anymore, or at least not the work that isn't my thing. I might tell them "your new direction isn't for me" but that is followed with "but thanks for all the art you've created." I don't expect their work to conform to my expectations unless I am commissioning a piece.

Now here is the thing about "artists"  -  you pretty much hit the nail on the head without actually pointing out the issue here yet making it out as a something positive.
The absolute narcissism when an artist says they don't need to conform to others expectations.
Without an audience they are just some schmuck somewhere doing weird stuff on on their own for their own amusement  [and not to get arrested if others find out].
An artist by "trade" that does not want to starve has to have an audience.  They can still push buttons and be non-conformist but there are limits.
So they have to meet some expectations consistently enough to not lose their audience.
Without an audience they are just another tree in the woods

Lucky for Jeph that he has enough of a following willing to support his version of creativity and the paths he has taken.
I think he takes it as a personal affront when people voice not liking his decisions, which is problematic in its own way, though he seems to be getting better at dealing with it.

Now me - I get irked when he goes all George Lucas on us, falls passionately in love with an idea or character design, runs with it .... right off a cliff or into a wall
(click to show/hide)

On the long hair subject - yes I like longer hair - I have long hair -  I have nothing against people with shaved heads and neither do they  :roll:
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up