THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 18:32
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What is the path to authentic happiness?

Meaningful work in service to the higher good
- 9 (19.6%)
Rich social connections
- 8 (17.4%)
Chocolate
- 18 (39.1%)
Money and fast cars
- 5 (10.9%)
Scanned scandium scandalmonger
- 6 (13%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 15-19 October 2018 (3851-3855)  (Read 37915 times)

Undrneath

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
Re: WCDT 15-19 October 2018 (3851-3855)
« Reply #150 on: 20 Oct 2018, 03:30 »

Okay. Quick question. Who here does NOT in fact have a local Chinese take-put place near where they live called Panda Garden?

I have a Star Garden
__________oO0___(_O_  _O_)___0Oo_____________
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #151 on: 20 Oct 2018, 04:26 »

Or at least 'something' Garden.

Theta9

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Not even that gay.
« Reply #152 on: 20 Oct 2018, 07:48 »

Regarding the second option, I was inspired by a guest strip (I think it was by Danielle Corsetto) where Pintisize tries to convince the Synthetic Ladies to be lady wrestlers. I just loved the costumes and gimmick weapons!

PSSST...

https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3558
Punchbot is female?
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #153 on: 20 Oct 2018, 11:34 »

There's also some weird side effects on how you set your prices.

When I was doing security consulting, I often left clients with a list of things they need to do, and things they need to frequently check, for security purposes - things like, maintaining firewalls between departments instead of just at the perimeter, checking for new exploits against their routers and switches on a regular basis, keeping firmware updated, not putting random Internet-of-Targets crap on the same networks as valuable servers, disabling remote-management interfaces where not needed, resetting default passwords on machinery they had never even realized HAD remote management features, disabling USB and wi-fi on the motherboards of everything in the security enclave, NOT having the database of all customer information unencrypted on a server available to all employees, etc etc etc... 

The likelihood of people following these instructions was directly proportional to the amount of money I was charging them.  Some irrational psychological effect says that something which was expensive is more valuable.

I eventually did the math and realized, my customers actually got more for their money if I charged them triple the rate I had been charging.  Providing exactly the same service for triple the price got them to actually follow instructions which saved them from expenses even greater.

But the weird fakeouts of irrational pricing effects don't stop there.  If I went to one of my old customers and gave them a *BILL* that gave the tripled price and then a huge discount for our longstanding business relationship totalling out to about the same amount I had been charging them....  that was almost as effective for purposes of security - in terms of getting them to follow instructions - as actually charging them triple.

Artificial Intelligence consulting is also irrationally priced, but it's a different set of irrationalities.  People aren't usually left with instructions that require them to proactively maintain and monitor things that are inconvenient or that they would otherwise ignore, so the "won't follow instructions because they were cheap" effect isn't as dire for their return-on-investment.  However, there are some subsets and specialties in this business where people overstate what they can achieve (and charge) specifically *because* they lack the knowledge to know why they can't or what makes it hard.  This also has the effect of inversely correlating cost and benefit for the customer within those particular subsets and specialties. 

Doing AI chassis mods and repairs?  I don't know that business; I don't think we have a real equivalent.  But the question of how to price your services and whether a higher or lower price provides more value for customers is far from trivial.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #154 on: 20 Oct 2018, 11:42 »

Regarding the second option, I was inspired by a guest strip (I think it was by Danielle Corsetto) where Pintisize tries to convince the Synthetic Ladies to be lady wrestlers. I just loved the costumes and gimmick weapons!

PSSST...

https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3558

I'm serious, to a certain value of 'serious'. I know that Jeph would never do this sort of thing except as a bonus strip AU but I can't get it out of my head:
  • Bubbles - Power Woman (Luke Cage expy)
  • Momo - Thunder Fist (Iron Fist expy)
  • May - Tough Chic (Jessica Jones expy)
  • Roko - Defender (Daredevil expy)
Beatrice would do well as a pseudo-Wilson Fisk and maybe have Faye and Sam as plucky civilian sidekicks with surprising fighting skills of their own.

Okay silliness done.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #155 on: 21 Oct 2018, 18:46 »

We have one called Hung Far Low.

I refuse to believe that. 

We have Great China, Lychee, No. 1, Gourmet Buffet, Wong's Wok, Main Moon, and the one closest to my home, Best Food in Town. 

Which is actually truth in advertising...
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #156 on: 21 Oct 2018, 20:36 »

Just in my little town, we have two locally owned places: the conventionally named China Garden and Ko's Garden -- I think Ko is actualy the owner's name, but the ma-and-pa team that run things don't encourage banter with customers.
Farther afield (the county seat) we have China House, Fortune Kitchen and Kam Wah 28 (what happened to Kam Wah 1-27, the world or maybe just I want to know). Casting the circle wider, we have your pick of Chinese places, all named according to the one-from-column-A, one-from-column-B naming scheme that is used for Chinese restaurants and oceangoing freighters.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

SmilingCat

• You is friend or food?
« Reply #157 on: 21 Oct 2018, 20:50 »

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #158 on: 21 Oct 2018, 20:54 »

Chinese restaurant names that I remember from places where I've lived:

Norman:
  • Orient Express (decent)
  • Wong Key (awful, no longer open)
There are a lot more, but I mostly stayed near campus.

Madison:
  • QQ (pretty good)
  • Madison Cuisine (also good, but the name's clearly false advertising, since they don't even have cheese curds  :roll: )
  • Nani (awesome)
  • Ginger Root (basically school cafeteria food, avoid)
  • A8 China (never went there but I've been told it's good)

Random Chicago suburb: So far all I've found is Panda Express....
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #159 on: 21 Oct 2018, 21:02 »

I know, right?

Their facebook page as evidence

Unfortunately, that page only reinforces the view that someone was trying to see how far they could go with a gag and wound up in business...

SmilingCat

• You is friend or food?
« Reply #160 on: 21 Oct 2018, 21:04 »

Unfortunately, that page only reinforces the view that someone was trying to see how far they could go with a gag and wound up in business...

For decades! This town is either very juvenile or very oblivious.

(Or both, probably both)

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #161 on: 21 Oct 2018, 21:26 »

I haven't actually been there, but I have seen photographic evidence (pre-photoshop era).
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Scarlet Manuka

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #162 on: 21 Oct 2018, 22:15 »

Okay. Quick question. Who here does NOT in fact have a local Chinese take-put place near where they live called Panda Garden?
None of the four near me have either Panda or Garden in their names. There is a Panda Garden about half an hour away though.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #163 on: 21 Oct 2018, 23:19 »

We do have a couple of places around that have the word "Garden" in their names. Significantly more of them contain the word "Golden." One of them wins the Quinella with "Golden Garden."

Also, how about that: Hung Far Low (restaurant) (wikipedia entry)
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

SmilingCat

• You is friend or food?
« Reply #164 on: 21 Oct 2018, 23:47 »

Huh. So it actually means something.

And there were two of them (mine is in Longview WA, about 45 minutes away). Life is full of surprises.
« Last Edit: 22 Oct 2018, 00:03 by SmilingCat »

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #165 on: 22 Oct 2018, 01:33 »

In my area:

• Billy Lee's Chop Suey House
  • Cheng's Buffet
  • Cheng's Gourmet
  • Dragon Village
  • East West
  • Golden Wok
  • Lucky Bamboo
  • Mark Pi's Express
  • Panda Express
  • Peony Bistro

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #166 on: 22 Oct 2018, 04:27 »

I loathed the Sex Pistols and everything they stood for. Still do. But I don't know how anyone with ears could think that Pretty Vacant was not a brilliant single.

Did they ever really stand for anything aside from making Malcolm McLaren money?

John Lydon did...
Which is why he was kicked out.

(But then he was willing to join the original line up again for the Filthy Lucre tour. (And the 2007-8 reunion gigs))
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #167 on: 22 Oct 2018, 04:31 »

We have one called the "Tak A Wa"

Which, when said in a broad Dundonian accent, is probably the ENTIRE reason it was called that.
Covenant

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #168 on: 22 Oct 2018, 05:17 »

I loathed the Sex Pistols and everything they stood for. Still do. But I don't know how anyone with ears could think that Pretty Vacant was not a brilliant single.

Did they ever really stand for anything aside from making Malcolm McLaren money?

John Lydon did...

(But then he was willing to join the original line up again for the Filthy Lucre tour. (And the 2007-8 reunion gigs))

But didn't he openly state that he funded the next PiL records with the money from those tours?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #169 on: 22 Oct 2018, 08:20 »

John Lydon did...

But didn't he openly state that he funded the next PiL records with the money from those tours?

Yup!

(I just saw them last month. I was literally within touching distance of him.
By Christ it was loud!)
Covenant

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #170 on: 22 Oct 2018, 08:34 »

These names seem to go to one end of the spectrum or the other. 

On the really-really-basic end of the spectrum, I used to live in a town that had a restaurant named the Curry Bucket.

Mostly a takeaway and delivery place, although they had a small dining room.  Their specialty was, in fact, curry of various kinds, and they did, in fact, serve (and deliver) it in buckets. You'd get families coming in and sitting down and arranging their plates, and then there'd be a bucket of curry and a bucket of rice on their table and they'd dig in.

There was a small deposit for the buckets, which were stainless steel; but they were free if you exchanged them for empty ones.

I think they had to shut that practice down though because some health inspector or other noticed that somebody could use those buckets for, eg, gasoline or motor oil or arsenic or something and turn them back in, and even going through the soak, high-pressure wash, and steam cleaning there was just no way something that had been used for those things was fit to serve food in ever again.  Which, to be fair, is a good point.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #171 on: 22 Oct 2018, 10:04 »

There are, or were, a number of Pho noodle shops in my area at one time. Most have disappeared and been replaced by various curry and Indian sweet shops.
The two that stand out in my memory were Pho'88 which was/is a chain and a mom-pop three generation establishment that soon disappeared after they sadly passed away. The grandpa made amazing spring rolls and could make em as fast as most Babas made gnocchi. Ah, it was called "Pho King Noodle".
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #172 on: 22 Oct 2018, 10:19 »

There is an absolute ton of Pho shops in and around Atlanta as well. Which delights me to see as pho is delicious. But it's interesting to see so many more of those sorts of specialty restaurants open up and doing so well. I suppose it's showing my age coming from a time when restaurants were at best labeled with a country of origin and most often any food from south east Asia outside of India was labeled as 'Chinese' regardless of country of origin. Now you can find not only restaurants from proper countries cuisine, but focusing on specific dishes even in relatively rural southern areas of the US.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #173 on: 22 Oct 2018, 11:04 »

I think they had to shut that practice down though because some health inspector or other noticed that somebody could use those buckets for, eg, gasoline or motor oil or arsenic or something and turn them back in, and even going through the soak, high-pressure wash, and steam cleaning there was just no way something that had been used for those things was fit to serve food in ever again.  Which, to be fair, is a good point.

Although plenty of other places use reusable containers without problems like that...

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #174 on: 22 Oct 2018, 12:58 »

Ah, it was called "Pho King Noodle".

There's a place around here called "Pho King 4".  I haven't been there, though, since there are plenty of food options that *aren't* on streets undergoing massive construction.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #175 on: 22 Oct 2018, 13:10 »

Pho King anything done sincerely is fine, but that's another one ripe for a gag.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #176 on: 22 Oct 2018, 13:55 »

Given where I live, I strongly suspect that there's an aspect of "getting crap past the radar" at work here.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #177 on: 23 Oct 2018, 02:40 »

Stealing from a friend of a friend who wanted to open, in a strip mall, adjoining establishments: A cafeteria-style diner specializing in Vietnamese noodle dishes, next to a tack shop. He would call them: "Pho Queue" and "The Horse You Rode In On."
« Last Edit: 25 Oct 2018, 04:49 by DSL »
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #178 on: 23 Oct 2018, 17:21 »

What's wrong with Blink 182?

[For the record, I also like MxPx.]

Blink 182 is pop frat rock posing as punk.
Ah.

To be fair, I haven't listened to any of their stuff since (I think) freshman year of college back in 2004.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #179 on: 23 Oct 2018, 19:43 »

The Asian restaurant near my workplace is named Tasty Joe's.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Storel

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #180 on: 29 Oct 2018, 11:45 »

There's a Thai restaurant in San Francisco called "Phuket Thai", and no, it's not pronounced that way... more like "Poo-kay", IIRC.

But yes, lots of jokes about it...  :roll:

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #181 on: 29 Oct 2018, 20:22 »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up