THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Union Robotics is in trouble! What should Faye and Bubbles do? (Choose two)

Bribe Clinton to spam the Internet with positive reviews?
- 6 (8.5%)
Ask May to do a song-and-dance number whilst in a sandwich board and handing out leaflets?
- 16 (22.5%)
'Creative' billing (Order 'Special' to be Faye Sass-Free)?
- 4 (5.6%)
Make a deal with the devil (SpookyBot)?
- 8 (11.3%)
Try to leverage their notoriety to attract attention ("We Bring Down Local Crime Bosses Too!")?
- 8 (11.3%)
Try to become something radically new (Robot Boutique and Spray Parlour)?
- 18 (25.4%)
Raise liquidity by selling 'shares' to Punchbot, Jeremy and their friends?
- 7 (9.9%)
Unethically create customers (arrange 'accidents' that they are miraculously on-site to fix)?
- 2 (2.8%)
Other (specify in comment)
- 2 (2.8%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 3856-3860 (22nd to 26th October 2018)  (Read 20856 times)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

I think that we can all agree that Faye and Bubbles' little enterprise is not the money-spinner that they hoped. They are probably going to be only barely breaking even this month, if they're lucky. So, something is going to have to be done; there must be a bold new strategy if Union Robotics is to be a success! What do you think that they need to do?

The idea that really interests me is them (unwisely) trying to make themselves 'cool' by trying to leverage the more interesting aspects of their lives, such as by exaggerating their peripheral role in bringing down Corpse Witch and The VesperVenger. This has the unanticipated (and unwelcome) consequence of people coming to them to look for help with problem local petty criminals rather than to actually get robot repairs. Because this isn't exactly their area of expertise, they ask Roko (law) and May (criminal psychology) for advice and, somehow, the whole thing turns into a Vaudeville re-imagination of Heroes for Hire. 8-)

More sensibly, I really, really would like to see them asking May or maybe Melon to hand out fliers. This has unpredictable consequences as their 'marketing manager' has some unique ideas for drumming up custom.

What do you think they should do?
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Re: WCDT strips 3856-3860 (22nd to 26th October 2018)
« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2018, 08:30 »

Pay customers for referrals. Word of mouth is the most effective advertising. We've seen enough synthetics who need repair that it's a good chance almost every Union Robotics customer knows another potential customer.

The first year is almost guaranteed to be hard.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

JimC

• Beyond Thunderdome
  • Alice liked fluffy toys...
« Reply #2 on: 21 Oct 2018, 10:38 »

Cosmetic surgery.
quite a bit of business has been in that direction anyway, plus the overlap with the sprays.

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #3 on: 21 Oct 2018, 18:30 »

New comic.

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn.
oh god

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #4 on: 21 Oct 2018, 18:48 »

Oh, Bubbles' eyes.  Poor girl, thought she knew what she was getting into...

Am I seeing Faye's teeth?
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?
« Reply #5 on: 21 Oct 2018, 20:03 »

Stress relief is important for a healthy, balanced life.

Bad Superman

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #6 on: 21 Oct 2018, 20:58 »

Am I seeing Faye's teeth?

Yes, you do.  :-D

And, while I do like Fayes approach, it doesn't solve their monetary problems.
Something has to happen soon, or they will be out of business… and don't forget, in that case, they will take Dora down with them.

I just hope they'll not just get saved in the last minute by a convenient deus ex machina.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #7 on: 21 Oct 2018, 21:10 »

But if our favorite Deus Ex Machina needed repairs...

Wait, what am I saying - they have all the spare parts and labor they need! 

I still think Sam's sprays might be their saviour.  That, and word-of-mouth. 

Actually, Faye had a box of hands earlier - I wonder if Punchbot's arm parts have come in yet?  He's a CPA - probably could pay pretty well, especially if they beef up his punching arm a bit!  Maybe a sledgehammer attachment for the hand? 

As with auto garages, custom work is where the real money is. 

BarShark

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
  • dont think about COULD, think about SHOULD
« Reply #8 on: 21 Oct 2018, 22:08 »

Are we gonna talk about the post UNDER the comic?

And how Silly it is.

lemonglamour

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #9 on: 21 Oct 2018, 22:11 »

let's not dismiss the fear a lot of trans people are feeling at a rollback in our civil rights.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #10 on: 21 Oct 2018, 22:20 »

Advertising that they bring down crime bosses might make them a target and why make a deal with Spookybot when you have Hannelore? 

I think a boutique is the best way to go since AIs seem to be interested in changing their appearances.  However, this will take time to set up so by all means commence sexual activity in the moment.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #11 on: 21 Oct 2018, 23:11 »

Wouldn't it be amusing if this is the moment that they receive a deluge of customers?  :mrgreen:
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #12 on: 21 Oct 2018, 23:23 »

I'm pretty sure what Faye is doing is something called 'displacement'. In other words, she doesn't want to think about their problems so she's focussing on something that she knows that they will enjoy. It's an understandable reaction but it doesn't really fix any of their problems, does it?

Longer-term readers may remember that Faye once tried to tickle Bubbles' belly only to be dryly (if somewhat embarrassedly) informed that Bubbles never downloaded the software to have a 'ticklish' reaction. I'm wondering if panel 4 means that Bubbles finally got around to installing that app or if not having the software to respond doesn't stop her from being sensitive there. It's a useful thing to know for Faye if she wants to derail Bubbles' train of thought, obviously. :wink:

Wouldn't it be amusing if this is the moment that they receive a deluge of customers?  :mrgreen:

The shutters are closed but that wouldn't stop Melon walking in. I'm not even sure that she would understand the sight enough to be embarrassed, only honestly curious.
~~~~

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #13 on: 22 Oct 2018, 00:12 »

I found today's comic with its themes of both 'we're broke!' and 'let's fuck so we can hide from our problems!' especially hilarious because that kinda sums up yesterday in my own life.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #14 on: 22 Oct 2018, 00:13 »

And how Silly it is.

How so?

SmilingCat

• You is friend or food?
« Reply #15 on: 22 Oct 2018, 00:22 »

I'm pretty sure what Faye is doing is something called 'displacement'. In other words, she doesn't want to think about their problems so she's focussing on something that she knows that they will enjoy. It's an understandable reaction but it doesn't really fix any of their problems, does it?

If it helps them de-stress so they're in a more balanced frame of mind to approach the rest of their problems, then yeah, it might.

One fling after hours does not a compulsive desire to run from their problems make.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #16 on: 22 Oct 2018, 01:58 »

Yet.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #17 on: 22 Oct 2018, 05:52 »

One fling after hours does not a compulsive desire to run from their problems make.

Your are  order not in the words right.
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

oddtail

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #18 on: 22 Oct 2018, 06:17 »

It's technically incorrect, but "An X does not a Y make" is a common expression in English, though, from what I understand. Living language does not necessarily always make sense from a prescriptivist perspective.

Or, you already knew that and were simply joking, in which case the joke went over my head, and I apologise ;)

efindumb

« Reply #19 on: 22 Oct 2018, 06:30 »

It's technically incorrect, but "An X does not a Y make" is a common expression in English, though, from what I understand. Living language does not necessarily always make sense from a prescriptivist perspective.

Or, you already knew that and were simply joking, in which case the joke went over my head, and I apologise ;)

"it sounded better in my head" is a perfectly acceptable excuse, plus you did have a point.

efindumb

« Reply #20 on: 22 Oct 2018, 06:34 »

And how Silly it is.

How so?

Any number of reasons. Jeph is getting on my nerves lately and I may just chuck reading the comic due to it. It's distracting, it's got nothing to do with it, could easily be put elsewhere so it doesn't take away from what draws people to the site. We get it, he is pissed off about everything. That's what twitter is for, which he rants on all of the time...

But since I dared to question his holiness Saint Jeph nobody will likely read this because the mods will delete it.

Undrneath

« Reply #21 on: 22 Oct 2018, 06:44 »

Any number of reasons. Jeph is getting on my nerves lately and I may just chuck reading the comic due to it. It's distracting, it's got nothing to do with it, could easily be put elsewhere so it doesn't take away from what draws people to the site. We get it, he is pissed off about everything. That's what twitter is for, which he rants on all of the time...

But since I dared to question his holiness Saint Jeph nobody will likely read this because the mods will delete it.

If you don't like it you are welcome to not read. It is Jeph's comic he can do with it what he wants.
__________oO0___(_O_  _O_)___0Oo_____________
                                     U
                                   Kilroy wuz here

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #22 on: 22 Oct 2018, 06:53 »

And how Silly it is.

How so?

Pretty dim view of Jeph and the mods there. I'd like to also say an inaccurate one, but that'd be getting into semantics.

I haven't read a newspost before you flagged it in years, and not through deliberate choice but accidentally, because of how easy it is just not to scroll that far. I recommend the same tactic if his news posts are that big an issue for you.

Tormuse

• Larger than most fish
  • I'm not really that patriotic... really!
« Reply #23 on: 22 Oct 2018, 09:12 »

And how Silly it is.

How so?

Pretty dim view of Jeph and the mods there. I'd like to also say an inaccurate one, but that'd be getting into semantics.

I haven't read a newspost before you flagged it in years, and not through deliberate choice but accidentally, because of how easy it is just not to scroll that far. I recommend the same tactic if his news posts are that big an issue for you.

I'm just baffled by how someone could read this far into the comic and apparently be unaware that Jeph is interested in civil rights...  or that his interest in civil rights might be part of what draws people to his comic.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #24 on: 22 Oct 2018, 09:14 »

I'll just point out that BarShark registered this morning. (efindumb did not, though.)

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #25 on: 22 Oct 2018, 10:18 »

Some of us still come here for the comic even after having met the artist - joking - not joking

As for his news feed - been there, saw that, got a migraine, didn't go back
Twitter I keep away from - I liken it to a mob of blind people shining laser pointers everywhere.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #26 on: 22 Oct 2018, 11:10 »

Moderator Comment I think we are going into sketchy territory here and it certainly isn't discussion of this week's comics. A complaint was raised and has been addressed and further discussion can be via PM with mods or in the moderation discussion thread in Discuss if the people so desire. Let's get back to the storylines.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #27 on: 22 Oct 2018, 12:52 »

Administrator Comment After first reassuring our trans* members that the people who own and operate this place are solidly on the side of their civil rights.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

SmilingCat

• You is friend or food?
« Reply #28 on: 22 Oct 2018, 14:16 »

"it sounded better in my head" is a perfectly acceptable excuse, plus you did have a point.

Fun fact, it sounded just as bad in my head and I wrote it anyway, as a whimsical excuse to seriously abuse the "an X does not a Y make" idiom. I sometimes like to abuse language/talk like Yoda.

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken
« Reply #29 on: 22 Oct 2018, 15:08 »

I absolutely agree with Punkbot's statement. The Sex Pistols suck.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #30 on: 22 Oct 2018, 15:10 »

It reminds me of a variation on the "two problems" joke I once heard.

If you have a problem and think "I'll use multithreading", htonow.h otp lsv m reeeybaw
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #31 on: 22 Oct 2018, 16:07 »

Faye, business at work. You can mess around at home.

:-D :laugh: :laugh:

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #32 on: 22 Oct 2018, 16:13 »

...If you can get away with it...

...I definitely endorse messing around at work

ADGood

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #33 on: 22 Oct 2018, 20:34 »

...If you can get away with it...

...I definitely endorse messing around at work

Well, it is where they keep all the fanciest power tools. 

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #34 on: 22 Oct 2018, 20:45 »

I feel like there's a missing comic between today and yesterday

Because I was thinking "how do you use a concrete saw for sex"
oh god

SmilingCat

• You is friend or food?
« Reply #35 on: 22 Oct 2018, 20:51 »

Because I was thinking "how do you use a concrete saw for sex"

Very carefully.

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #36 on: 22 Oct 2018, 21:31 »

Power tools vibrate. A lot. Anything can be used as a sex toy if you are creative enough.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #37 on: 22 Oct 2018, 21:38 »

Having been self-employed for the past several years, I can state with confidence that this would be very typical of the shit the Fates like to throw at you.  Get it on while you can, Ladies.  When the big wave hits you won't know whether to "shit or go blind."  And then the phone won't ring for weeks on end.

Syntax murdering nerd amusement excellent is.

Power tools vibrate. A lot. Anything can be used as a sex toy if you are creative enough.

https://www.ohjoysextoy.com/

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #38 on: 22 Oct 2018, 22:23 »

If Dethmole does a cover of Art of Noise’s “Close”Bubbles is sure to have a place.

cybersmurf

« Reply #39 on: 22 Oct 2018, 23:23 »

The concrete saw is going to be a regular, without us ever seeing what Bubbles does with it.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #40 on: 22 Oct 2018, 23:24 »

So, today's strip makes me think that Faye and Bubbles have decided to do various odd-jobs for extra revenue. It seems a fairly sensible option (which is one of the reasons I didn't think of it whilst setting up the poll). However, I still wonder if it might lead to adventure, especially if (like Disney's Kim Possible) they aren't too careful about the wording of their ads. for example, consider what this ad seems to communicate as opposed to its intent:

Local Troubleshooters
If you've got a problems, call us! We've got the tools and we can do anything!
Call xxxxx-xxx-xxx or twitter @fayeandbubzUR

There are two or three perfectly valid interpretations of this advert, only one of which is accurate and the others could lead Faye and Bubbles to several unexpected outcomes!

However, onto the point of today's strip, which is poor Claire still stressing out. Yes, that's her stressed-out smile in panel 2. It's worrying that it literally doesn't occur to her to take a break. I'm also more than a little worried about the fact that she wants to appear like a 'real student'. I'm guessing that she's fast approaching the 'bend before you break' moment here!
~~~~

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #41 on: 22 Oct 2018, 23:34 »

You mean something like:

If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find them, maybe you can hire Union Robotics

Claire does need a break.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

oddtail

« Reply #42 on: 23 Oct 2018, 01:46 »

The concrete saw is going to be a regular, without us ever seeing what Bubbles does with it.

Nothing concrete, at least.

*badum-tss*

efindumb

« Reply #43 on: 23 Oct 2018, 09:35 »

After first reassuring our trans* members that the people who own and operate this place are solidly on the side of their civil rights.

Got it. Complaining about Jeph post now equates to an attack on supporting civil rights and is transphobic. Sorry for daring to go against the tide again and am unwelcome. Please delete my account then.

Dawiyd

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #44 on: 23 Oct 2018, 10:01 »

In lighter subject matter, I badly need a coffee shop near that sells a $12 WTF size Latte. Funny details like this are among many things i love about QC.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #45 on: 23 Oct 2018, 10:30 »

Got it. Complaining about Jeph post now equates to an attack on supporting civil rights and is transphobic. Sorry for daring to go against the tide again and am unwelcome. Please delete my account then.

How perversely wrong can you be?  It's nothing to do with complaining about it's being a post by Jeph - he merely pointed out a hateful thing that the US government is aiming to do and suggested that people might like to protest about it in whatever way they feel able to.  I would suggest that this cannot be viewed as a bad thing unless you also hold and support the views which he's warning of, or at the very least think that protesting against them is not appropriate.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

theMarc

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Oh God, it's all over my body.
« Reply #46 on: 23 Oct 2018, 10:37 »

I was going to come in here and make a joke about the comic, but apparently the topic of the day is to complain about easily-ignored newsposts, which has drained my joviality, so nevermind, I guess.
Be kind and generous to all people, even imaginary people who only exist in a webcomic, because that’s good practice for the real world.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #47 on: 23 Oct 2018, 11:53 »

I think most people would be happier joking about the comic. Please go ahead!

I liked this one because it's classic QC wackiness.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #48 on: 23 Oct 2018, 12:31 »

Pintsize: Déjà vu
Bubbles: And now for something completely different.
Pintsize: This is Déjà vu all over again.

May: Are you embarrassed easily?
Pintsize: I am. Well not really.
May: Do any of these words (farts) embarrass you?
Pintsize: Shoe, megaphone, grunties, trouser cough.
May: Now lets go on to something far ruder.
Pintsize: Wankle rotary engine.

May: That reminds me of a question I had that I wanted to ask much earlier on but got ...
Pintsize:  BUTTS
May:  :grumpypuss:
May: Where was I?
Pintsize: This feels like Déjà vu all over again.
May: Oh yes, what type of power source does this concrete saw use? A two stroke Briggs and Stratton or maybe a four stroke by Motomaster? 
Pintsize: She said stroke, heh heh heh heh ...... 

Bubbles: :facepalm:
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #49 on: 23 Oct 2018, 12:39 »

In lighter subject matter, I badly need a coffee shop near that sells a $12 WTF size Latte. Funny details like this are among many things i love about QC.

Probably near you is a shop that will sell you a WTF-sized coffee drink, maybe even an espresso, for considerably less than 12 bucks, and you can keep the thermal mug (which we used to call a "pitcher"). As a bonus, you can buy gasoline out front for your car.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up