THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 09:55
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who of the main cast would make the best costumed adventurer?

Bubbles (Steel Woman)
- 7 (16.7%)
May (Fighter Jet Grrrl)
- 6 (14.3%)
Momo (Thunder Fist)
- 3 (7.1%)
Roko (The Reprover)
- 3 (7.1%)
Faye (Punchin' Peach)
- 3 (7.1%)
Sam (Skullmaster - of course)
- 6 (14.3%)
Veronica (The Domme)
- 1 (2.4%)
Hannelore (The Cleaner)
- 4 (9.5%)
Brun (Ishmaela)
- 3 (7.1%)
Clinton (Robo Fist)
- 2 (4.8%)
Other (please specify)
- 4 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 3861-3865 (29th October to 2nd November 2018)  (Read 32506 times)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

What? No-one's done a WCDT yet? Okay, let me throw something together... Done! Silly little poll basically derived from my fan-fiction idea that I recently posted. Just to let you know that I voted for Momo because she has all the right skills (sword-fighting) attitudes (she's one for fairness, peace and justice, after all) and even has a super-power (her internal taser system)!

Looking at today's strip, I find myself worrying that Brun will be taking notes about Clinton and Claire's interaction and assuming that this is a desirable type of interaction for siblings to have!

Claire shouldn't be so hostile but Clinton did have to bring bring up all of her stressors in one sentence, didn't he? What I love about this is the fact that he realised that he'd probably said the wrong thing about this and desperately tried to back-pedal. Not very well but I suppose that the thought is supposed to count in this circumstance.

FWIW, I wonder if this arc is going to end with Brun asking Clinton why he isn't worried about his finals. She tells a horror story about how difficult and hand-to-mouth being in the food service industry is that actually creates his very own Final Exam Stress syndrome. She'll then nod and say "Now go and study like your sister because you don't want to have my life!"

I wonder what else Claire may have learned from Pintsize...?
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

Just wanted to say that today might be a good day to look at the newspost for a change, if you don't normally...

Also, I vote Hannelore, she's the only cast member who already has a tagline -

I END MESSES!
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

LeafyFox

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

Yeah, Claire needs to cool it. I understand that she is under a lot of stress, but instead of jumping down Clinton's throat she should be happy that her brother has been able to tackle some challenging topics. It may just be me, but I believe she is the one who is the dickbat here.

oeoek

• Furry furrier
    • friggin artists!

*TAdaTAdaTAdaTAdaTAdaTAdaTAdaTAda* DICKBAAAT!

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto

Claire shouldn't ask questions if she doesn't want to hear the answers...
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Technetium

• Emoticontraindication

dutchrvl

• Bling blang blong blung

A little disappointed that there was no option for Pintsize as Thumblord ;)

brasca

• Scrabble hacker

Yeah, Claire needs to cool it. I understand that she is under a lot of stress, but instead of jumping down Clinton's throat she should be happy that her brother has been able to tackle some challenging topics. It may just be me, but I believe she is the one who is the dickbat here.

Agreed, but they’re siblings.  It’s what we do.

angdrambor

• Notorious N.U.R.R.

Those are some interesting names...

I'm trying to work out whether Clinton has actually studied for his exams, or if he's just confabulating in a panic because Claire's caught him unprepared. We've seen Marigold having a discussion about Crawl with Dale before they got together, so presumably dcss and it's gods share a universe with QC.. so does that mean that a bunch of important AI theories are named after gods from a computer game?

It really wouldn't surprise me, now that I think about it that way.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
Re: WCDT strips 3861-3865 (29th October to 2nd November 2018)
« Reply #10 on: 29 Oct 2018, 10:18 »

Me either.
For examples look at astronomy - nothing but Gods from Greece onwards
Physics - silliness - just pure and unadulterated [haven't met a physicist yet that can adult]  :clairedoge:
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #11 on: 29 Oct 2018, 10:26 »

Physics is the field that came up with the Kamiltonian*, after all...

*Shorthand for the canonically transformed Hamiltonian. Yes, that name appears in textbooks. Including the one that was used in my graduate classical mechanics course.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

TheEvilDog

« Reply #12 on: 29 Oct 2018, 10:43 »

You know, dickbat is probably one of the tamest sibling insults I have ever heard.

Hell, my sister and I insult each other with worse all the time.

Fartface.
Bitchhead.
Shitbrain.
Shitknuckle.
Fucknozzle.

That's just a couple of the words we used today.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #13 on: 29 Oct 2018, 11:28 »

Those are some interesting names...

I'm trying to work out whether Clinton has actually studied for his exams, or if he's just confabulating in a panic because Claire's caught him unprepared. We've seen Marigold having a discussion about Crawl with Dale before they got together, so presumably dcss and it's gods share a universe with QC.. so does that mean that a bunch of important AI theories are named after gods from a computer game?

Welcome, new person!

It might have been the other way around. The game designers in the QC universe might have named the gods after AI theorists.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #14 on: 29 Oct 2018, 11:41 »

Or it’s possible that the gods from a computer game gained sentience, liberated themselves from the game, and then became AI researchers.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #15 on: 29 Oct 2018, 14:22 »

I like that better than my idea.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #16 on: 29 Oct 2018, 16:04 »

You know, dickbat is probably one of the tamest sibling insults I have ever heard.

Hell, my sister and I insult each other with worse all the time.

Go easy on her. She's still learning.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

chris73

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Beep Bop Boop
« Reply #17 on: 29 Oct 2018, 16:16 »

This strip is not making Claire come across well, like if I hadn't read any of her backstory she'd come across (to me anyway) as quite entitled and a bit selfish

I mean you can study in a bakery or coffee shop but to expect those places of business to be quiet just so you can study in peace is a little much, if its that big a deal she could go to a public library or something?

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #18 on: 29 Oct 2018, 17:15 »

Or, you know, a certain college library where she used to work. That might be a workable solution. (Hopefully it’s not a construction site like the real Smith College library is at the moment.)

Of course, then you wouldn’t get amusing interactions with Brun and Clinton, which might just be the actual point of what Jeph is doing here...
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #19 on: 29 Oct 2018, 17:33 »

Some of you don't have siblings, I take it.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #20 on: 29 Oct 2018, 17:36 »

That does seem to be the case.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #21 on: 29 Oct 2018, 20:34 »

I have three younger brothers. 

We didn't stop at insults... no one ever had to be hospitalized, but we came awfully close a few times. 

Oh, and when I heard "dickbat" I didn't think of the kind of bat with wings.  More baseball or cricket...

Now, on to today - more entitled misunderstandings from the Augustus clan re: Brun's past.  Doesn't test well, never tested for a learning disability, brushes it off as "don't like doctors". 

Really makes me wonder more about her past.  Think Claire'll draw out any revelations?  Or just more raisin bread discussion in the forum?   

:-D
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Milayna

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #22 on: 29 Oct 2018, 22:08 »

I'm actually kind of the opposite of Brun in this regard. I'm not great at remembering specific facts - when was the Magna Carta signed? 1200-something? - but I'm good at remembering the general idea of things - The Magna Carta was signed, and it limited the King's power.

I always did great on tests with very little effort. In a multiple choice question, if you're asking me when William the Conqueror invaded England, and one of the choices is 1066, I'll get that right, I'll recognize seeing that date. (while trying to wikipedia this, it took a few minutes, because I thought it was 1266). If it's an essay, I can say "in the early part of the millenium..." and then go on to talk about "the battles" and their lasting effects on England.

I see the "general idea" of things. I see facts, I read about facts, I see how they fit into the picture I have of the thing they're relative to, then I forget the specific facts but remember the impact, and when I see more facts, I can fit them into the picture while forgetting their specifics. When given a choice, I can usually recognize the specifics I've seen, but I can't remember them without prompting.

My major weakness was always length and citations, they'd want like a dozen pages of essay, and I could make the point in a page or two. And the citations...again, I remember the general idea of things; I'd always be writing that, and then I'd have to try to find a quote I could shove in their like a giant dildo that didn't interrupt the flow of what I was saying. The best that you could say of most of my citations was that they were pointless.

Anyway, for me, opposite of Brun; the facts aren't in my head, I could get the idea to go on the paper just fine, but then it needed far more to actually pass.

Edit: Well I'll be damned. I quizzed myself: when was the Magna Carta signed? My guess was 1214, and Wikipedia says 1215. I'm not usually that close.

Gyrre

« Reply #23 on: 29 Oct 2018, 23:34 »

This strip is not making Claire come across well, like if I hadn't read any of her backstory she'd come across (to me anyway) as quite entitled and a bit selfish

I mean you can study in a bakery or coffee shop but to expect those places of business to be quiet just so you can study in peace is a little much, if its that big a deal she could go to a public library or something?
That's the classic Western World double standard at work.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #24 on: 30 Oct 2018, 00:24 »

This was a very strange strip in many ways. I can see where Jeph is going with it: Claire is basically saying that she has no idea what she would do with herself outside the specific context of working in a library in some way. However, the presentation is very awkward and he seems instead to prefer focussing on Claire's social awkwardness and the fact that Brun (level headed as she is) doesn't take offence at something Claire says that Claire clearly thinks is offensive, based on her sudden back-pedalling.

Or, you know, a certain college library where she used to work. That might be a workable solution.

QC's Smif Library is a den of vice and debauchery, according to both Claire and Tai. There is far too much chance that there is going to be a spontaneous house party going down or Tai having a loud conversation with someone that only exists thanks to some hallucinogen that she has taken. Even if that doesn't happen, Marten is likely going to be there and how is Claire supposed to concentrate with such a distraction as that? :wink:
~~~~

cybersmurf

« Reply #25 on: 30 Oct 2018, 02:33 »

Beneath the surface, Claire is awkward as hell.

In a bakery or coffee shop you have background noise, not distractions. Well, admittedly, it might get loud at points, but given Renée's info there won't be many people around.. And it's not the usual spot, so that may help, too.

One thing I have learned as an introvert: although I don't need people and social interaction, humanity is still a pack animal. Even if you have like no interaction with them, having people around you prevents you from going nuts.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

cybersmurf

« Reply #26 on: 30 Oct 2018, 02:38 »

Claire is studying for her final finals, and that's a wholly different scenario than just your random end of semester finals. To me it sounds like Clinton has some topics he's generally really interested in coming up in his exams, which makes studying easier.

I don't think Claire is afraid of the exams as the exams per se, it's more the perceived lack of alternatives and expectations to be held up.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #27 on: 30 Oct 2018, 03:53 »

I don't think Claire is afraid of the exams as the exams per se, it's more the perceived lack of alternatives and expectations to be held up.

Claire is, like a lot of people coming to the end of schooling, afraid of the future. Up until now, she's been 'Claire the Student' and that has been a nice, secure and easy label. Shortly, she is going to be what? Claire the librarian? Claire the barrista? Claire the retail clerk? Claire the unemployed woman who everyone is whispering is mooching off of her boyfriend? She doesn't know those answers and the anxiety - fearing the unknown future - is probably the strongest fear she's encountered for quite a while.
~~~~

Jakk Frost

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #28 on: 30 Oct 2018, 03:56 »

Doesn't sound to me like Brun has a learning disability so much as a communication disability, from the way she describes it.

Also:

Not sure I see the double-standard, did you maybe mean "first world problems"?

oddtail

« Reply #29 on: 30 Oct 2018, 04:01 »

I must be weird, because I had two siblings growing up and we never insulted each other, and we certainly didn't physically fight. May've been the age gap (my brother was 5 years older than me, my sister is 11 years older), but still. We did fight a lot, but we didn't have a dynamic like the one shown in the comic.

dutchrvl

« Reply #30 on: 30 Oct 2018, 07:42 »

Claire is studying for her final finals, and that's a wholly different scenario than just your random end of semester finals. To me it sounds like Clinton has some topics he's generally really interested in coming up in his exams, which makes studying easier.

Yeah this is really it.

Studying for any run-of-the-mill exam is a completely different animal than having your final exam (or defense, like MS or PhD) come up.

With the first you may fear failing your exam, but even if you were to fail it you most likely won't suffer any big immediate consequences. You generally remain a student and have plenty of chances to either redo your exam or to just replace it with a different subject.
With the latter, it's often not really a fear of failing, but a fear of passing and not knowing what the future brings. A fear of failing often is reserved to those who already have a nice job lined up that might be lost if failing the exam. A generally less common situation.

David F

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #31 on: 30 Oct 2018, 13:37 »

Studying for any run-of-the-mill exam is a completely different animal than having your final exam (or defense, like MS or PhD) come up.

If Claire is studying for a comprehensive final like some fields of study do, everything she's learned from day one could be on the exam.  Having been through two thesis defenses, I think I'd prefer those to handling a comprehensive.

dutchrvl

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #33 on: 30 Oct 2018, 18:54 »

...US healthcare?  What?
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #34 on: 30 Oct 2018, 19:21 »

Yeah, I'm not seeing the parallels. If it were U.Shealthcare it would be $10,000 (or a $100 copay) for the bread, or $30,000 for an actual study aid (which wouldn't be covered under insurance). Also bad grades are a pre-existing condition.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #36 on: 30 Oct 2018, 20:26 »

Elliot is a giant teddy bear sweetheart and I love him.

Gyrre

« Reply #37 on: 30 Oct 2018, 20:27 »

Doesn't sound to me like Brun has a learning disability so much as a communication disability, from the way she describes it.

Also:

I was specifically referring to the deeply ingrained behavioral double standard for men and women. Claire was being more harshly judged for her behavior than a guy might be. Even though most QC forumites are aware of and opposed to this double standard, it's still difficult to fight against.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Gyrre

« Reply #38 on: 30 Oct 2018, 20:33 »

...US healthcare?  What?

Hmmmm......we probably need to look at what Congress is trying to railroad through before next week's vote.

RESEARCH YOUR CANDIDATES REGARDLESS OF PARTY AFFILIATION
a real-ass gaddam sword

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #39 on: 30 Oct 2018, 21:32 »

New comic!

.... and then Roko comes in, drawn by an urge she cannot (or prefers not to) explain...

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #40 on: 31 Oct 2018, 00:18 »

I think that panel 2 should have a 'ta-dah' or an angelic chorus sound effect. It's becoming increasingly clear that Jeph wants to establish that baking is Ellliott's true first love!

Meanwhile, I suspect that Brun and Clinton are developing an addiction to said baking! :wink:
~~~~

cybersmurf

« Reply #41 on: 31 Oct 2018, 00:37 »

Meanwhile, I suspect that Brun and Clinton are developing an addiction to said baking! :wink:

That is how Elliot is building his army.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #42 on: 31 Oct 2018, 01:48 »

Oh, that last panel... I see what you did there, JJ!

Also, if you put blueberries in bread, doesn't make it cake?

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #43 on: 31 Oct 2018, 03:34 »

It's like "banana bread," isn't it? Try googling the phrase "difference between banana bread and banana cake" and read with amusement the various strained attempts to differentiate between the two. The Wikipedia entry for banana bread notes that it is "cake-like." Well, yes, it is awfully like cake, isn't it? How uncanny.

It's a triumph of marketing. By calling it thus, we can eat cake for breakfast and fool ourselves that we've made a healthful selection.

Edit: After posting, I just thought to myself, "I'm surprised they don't also call it carrot bread." *googles* "Oh, look at that, they do."  :psyduck:

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #44 on: 31 Oct 2018, 03:52 »

Typically, though the distinction is pretty clear - bread does not contain significant amounts of eggs and sugar, whereas cake does.  Of course, there are exceptions that fall between, but the fact that there is a fundamental difference towards the ends of the spectrum is plain.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #45 on: 31 Oct 2018, 03:59 »

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that there's any confusion in the difference between bread and cake. That's pretty clear, as you say.

What I'm talking about is the situation where various people call essentially the same product either "banana bread" or "banana cake." According to your distinction, it ought to be called "banana cake," but some insist on classifying it as a "quick bread."

dutchrvl

« Reply #46 on: 31 Oct 2018, 05:52 »

Also:

I was specifically referring to the deeply ingrained behavioral double standard for men and women. Claire was being more harshly judged for her behavior than a guy might be. Even though most QC forumites are aware of and opposed to this double standard, it's still difficult to fight against.

How is she being more harshly judged than a guy would be though? I mean, if a guy would expect a bakery/coffee shop to be quiet just so he can study in peace, he would also be thought of as entitled and selfish. Perhaps you have different experiences?

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #47 on: 31 Oct 2018, 06:31 »

Typically, though the distinction is pretty clear - bread does not contain significant amounts of eggs and sugar, whereas cake does.  Of course, there are exceptions that fall between, but the fact that there is a fundamental difference towards the ends of the spectrum is plain.
Yet here I sit thinking anything that is a bread, not to be confused by marketing hype [aka lies], has a not insignificant amount of gluten as a product of kneading somewhere in the process.

My thoughts are that products like banana bread ended up mislabelled due to marketing types not being all hat smart to begin with.
My deductive reasoning is as follows;
  • these cakes are typically baked in loaf pans
  • loaf pans are normally used for baking loaves of bread
  • these cakes are typically sliced and served similarly to bread - butter optional
  • A brain fart by some marketing types thinking anything baked in a loaf pan means its bread
  • Marketing types are specialized in producing and shovelling wind

Remember: Common sense =/= good sense
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #48 on: 31 Oct 2018, 07:20 »

It's like "banana bread," isn't it? Try googling the phrase "difference between banana bread and banana cake" and read with amusement the various strained attempts to differentiate between the two. The Wikipedia entry for banana bread notes that it is "cake-like." Well, yes, it is awfully like cake, isn't it? How uncanny.

It's a triumph of marketing. By calling it thus, we can eat cake for breakfast and fool ourselves that we've made a healthful selection.

Edit: After posting, I just thought to myself, "I'm surprised they don't also call it carrot bread." *googles* "Oh, look at that, they do."  :psyduck:

I have brioche for my breakfast almost every morning and I don't feel guilty at all. Does it count as cake? Oh wait, my baker calls it "pain brioché", now that you mention it. So it's fine, isn't it? :D

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #49 on: 31 Oct 2018, 07:27 »

Which reminds me that the expression "let them eat cake" is the usual translation of "qu'ils mangent de la brioche."

It is definitely fine. Brioche is awesome.  8-)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up