THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 14:26
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who of the main cast would make the best costumed adventurer?

Bubbles (Steel Woman)
- 7 (16.7%)
May (Fighter Jet Grrrl)
- 6 (14.3%)
Momo (Thunder Fist)
- 3 (7.1%)
Roko (The Reprover)
- 3 (7.1%)
Faye (Punchin' Peach)
- 3 (7.1%)
Sam (Skullmaster - of course)
- 6 (14.3%)
Veronica (The Domme)
- 1 (2.4%)
Hannelore (The Cleaner)
- 4 (9.5%)
Brun (Ishmaela)
- 3 (7.1%)
Clinton (Robo Fist)
- 2 (4.8%)
Other (please specify)
- 4 (9.5%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 3861-3865 (29th October to 2nd November 2018)  (Read 32520 times)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
Re: WCDT strips 3861-3865 (29th October to 2nd November 2018)
« Reply #100 on: 02 Nov 2018, 00:19 »

Here's why I think that Claire and Brun are going to end up best friends: They seem to be the only people who really get the other's sense of humour to the point where the jokes are that funny! Actually, I'm pretty much convinced that Brun's joke was her attempt at apologising to Claire for disturbing her.

I loved Clinton's "We'll be good". I wonder how many times he's said that to a fuming Claire through his childhood and adolescence?

Hey, Claire! Having a hard time studying with all this noise and distractions? There's a place that's great for studying. A lot of people use it to study too and it's pretty quite there. I'm not sure if you've heard of it. It's call ... a library.

The problem is that Smif College's library isn't exactly the most study-friendly of places. If Tai hasn't arranged a house party for that day, just the fact that Claire has so many friends and acquaintances there almost guarantees getting side-tracked.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #101 on: 02 Nov 2018, 01:42 »

I will take a loaf of the same bread than them, please... Yeah, the magic potion bread!
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #102 on: 02 Nov 2018, 02:11 »

Welcome, fellow Asterix fan!
~~~~

Meander

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #103 on: 02 Nov 2018, 02:48 »

Welcome to Questionable Content Z!!!

(Powering up will take 2 weeks of strips. The actual FIGHT well... you don't wanna know.)

I was here and ready for at least a week of powering up!

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #104 on: 02 Nov 2018, 03:19 »

That's not really how puns work, Brun...

oddtail

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #105 on: 02 Nov 2018, 03:28 »

Yeah, if there's a pun in there, I'm not sure what it's supposed to be.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #106 on: 02 Nov 2018, 03:37 »

'Labradoodle' is the unofficial but commonly-used name for a Labrador/Standard Poodle cross. It's hardly a well-known name or breed, I'll grant you.
~~~~

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #107 on: 02 Nov 2018, 03:46 »

Hm. Here I thought labradoodles were pretty common. Maybe because I pay attention to dogs and their people. But it doesn’t seem at all like an obscure joke to me.

There are also goldendoodles, Bernedoodles, and a host of other poodle mixes.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

oddtail

« Reply #108 on: 02 Nov 2018, 03:57 »

'Labradoodle' is the unofficial but commonly-used name for a Labrador/Standard Poodle cross. It's hardly a well-known name or breed, I'll grant you.

Oh, I see. Thanks!

...still think the pun is bit of a stretch.

Tyr

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #109 on: 02 Nov 2018, 04:18 »

Hm. Here I thought labradoodles were pretty common. Maybe because I pay attention to dogs and their people. But it doesn’t seem at all like an obscure joke to me.

There are also goldendoodles, Bernedoodles, and a host of other poodle mixes.
I was made familiar with the Labradoodle breed by the sitcom 'Scrubs'. Cox used it as shorthand to describe J.D. as nervous and prone to widdling on the carpet. Also, a more personal connection to this comic, K.B. Spangler AKA Otter, who has done guest comics for QC and the webcomic A Girl and Her Fed, took care of her parent's labradoodle whom she called Filthspigot while they were abroad a number of years back.

Then again, not everyone obsessively reads the newspost at the bottom of comics/reads the author's home renovation blog.
Just going through life.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #110 on: 02 Nov 2018, 05:10 »

Oh, I see. Thanks!

No, that's more the dachshund.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

derris_kharlan

• Plantmonster
« Reply #111 on: 02 Nov 2018, 05:43 »

Nope, still can't make myself like Claire. If anything disliking her even more.

Yup, basically every appearance I dislike her more and more.
I mean yes, Clinton’s comments weren’t exactly thoughtful, but they didn’t come from a place of malice. Claire’s response was just rude. In isolation this latest incident isn’t much but she just constantly behaves terribly. Not a fan.
Shel kek nem ron.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #112 on: 02 Nov 2018, 07:23 »

Still confuse. MHA = "Metal Head Alchemist"? Or "My Hero Academy"? This is almost as bad as looking something up on Urban Dictionary.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

Eternal_Newbie

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #113 on: 02 Nov 2018, 07:38 »

Yeah, I thought Labradoodle was a commonly known term. They've unfortunately become quite popular here recently & the puppy farmers are churning them out faster than the RSPCA can shut them down.

Then again, not everyone obsessively reads the newspost at the bottom of comics/reads the author's home renovation blog.

That the house where the ivy turned out to be an important structural element?
"Microsoft Kills Santa Claus" - The Register

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #114 on: 02 Nov 2018, 07:43 »

Still confuse. MHA = "Metal Head Alchemist"? Or "My Hero Academy"? This is almost as bad as looking something up on Urban Dictionary.

MHA = "My Hero Academia"; or in the original Japanese (kind of!), the same show is "Boku no Hero Academia" = BNHA.  This is, as stated already, a superhero growth and development story, which is currently running.  The recent chapters of the manga (which is way ahead of the anime) shows signs that the story which started with clear steps towards an ending is instead going to be stretched out interminably...  This is beginning to spoil it for me, as I like my stories to have an ending.

I used the initials originally thinking that the person I was replying to would understand, at least if my identification was correct (it wasn't, but was close).

"Metal Head Alchemist" was a joke (the somewhat similar initials FMA are commonly used for the anime "Fullmetal Achemist")
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #115 on: 02 Nov 2018, 07:50 »

Yeah, I thought Labradoodle was a commonly known term. They've unfortunately become quite popular here recently

Being a cross between different varieties of dog (Labrador and Poodle, of course), they don't breed "true", which makes some people trying to make a profit that way very disappointed.  Portmanteau names for dogs we would once have called mongrels have become popular as a way of legitimising such crosses so that more can be charged for them.  A friend of mine has a "CockerPoo" which they paid too much for, and I have a "Sprollie" which was sold perfectly reasonably by the farmer who didn't want his son to leave his working Springer Spaniel and Collie in together that night...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Y

• Curry sauce
« Reply #116 on: 02 Nov 2018, 08:27 »

How about a Poogle?

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #117 on: 02 Nov 2018, 08:40 »

Das also war des Pudels Kern...

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #118 on: 02 Nov 2018, 08:49 »

Give me a mutt any day over something bred "pure" to suit some human purpose.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #119 on: 02 Nov 2018, 09:41 »

I love my cat.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Eternal_Newbie

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #120 on: 02 Nov 2018, 09:46 »

Yeah, I thought Labradoodle was a commonly known term. They've unfortunately become quite popular here recently

Being a cross between different varieties of dog (Labrador and Poodle, of course), they don't breed "true", which makes some people trying to make a profit that way very disappointed.  Portmanteau names for dogs we would once have called mongrels have become popular as a way of legitimising such crosses so that more can be charged for them.  A friend of mine has a "CockerPoo" which they paid too much for, and I have a "Sprollie" which was sold perfectly reasonably by the farmer who didn't want his son to leave his working Springer Spaniel and Collie in together that night...

As bad as all these daft names for cats. No, that's not an "English Long Hair", it's a short tempered vicious SOB that will rip your face of if you give it a chance. And that one isn't an "Arabian Mau" it's that damn orange cat from next door that decided to move in and somehow leaves more hair all over the place than the other cat.
"Microsoft Kills Santa Claus" - The Register

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #121 on: 02 Nov 2018, 10:40 »

As bad as all these daft names for cats. No, that's not an "English Long Hair", it's a short tempered vicious SOB that will rip your face of if you give it a chance. And that one isn't an "Arabian Mau" it's that damn orange cat from next door that decided to move in and somehow leaves more hair all over the place than the other cat.

Cats are cute, sweet and loving. Those who believe they are distant or creepy don't know a thing about them.

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #122 on: 02 Nov 2018, 13:38 »

I have had 2 cats that were mean. One had been found at my dad's work yard, so dad being himself meant we got a cat. We suspected abuse. He got over it, in time.

The other was a hag to everyone but me. No idea what her deal was-but damn did I love her.

My current cats, however, are snuggly purrboxes of joy.

Poor Elliot. He means well.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #123 on: 02 Nov 2018, 14:02 »

Not to put too fine a point on it, purebred-dog breeders can go [bleeep] themselves. The whole idea of inbreeding animals in order to perpetuate deformities and health problems for the purpose of the vanity of the owners is disgusting.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #124 on: 02 Nov 2018, 18:02 »

My childhood dog was an accidental crossbreed of Beagle and Pekingese.  The breeders were going to kill the puppies, but their kids intervened, so the puppies were given away for free.

We decided to call her a Pickle (from Peagle).

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?
« Reply #125 on: 02 Nov 2018, 18:24 »

Not to put too fine a point on it, purebred-dog breeders can go [bleeep] themselves. The whole idea of inbreeding animals in order to perpetuate deformities and health problems for the purpose of the vanity of the owners is disgusting.

Not to mention perpetuating the notion that it's somehow better to spend thousands of dollars on an arbitrarily defined specialty animal rather than helping any of the endless numbers of abandoned animals in desperate need of a home.

(we took in our cat because she got sick and the neighbors didn't want to bother with her. She is best kitty)

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #126 on: 02 Nov 2018, 18:46 »

My last dog was chasing my cousin's car down the road, stopped, and came into our front yard as my cousin continued on to her job. The dog stayed with us for eight years, including one move, before THAT trip to the vet. Memory and dog books make me think she was part Manchester terrier, part beagle and, as I say fondly in reminiscence, "100 percent junkyard." A finer, fiercer, more loving dog you'll never see.
Our last cat was the last survivor of a litter of five dropped by a stray shortly before we moved. Mama Cat and two kittens disappeared while we were moving; of the three remaining, two did ... not adapt well to country life. No. 5, the runt, was with us for 18 years, promoted from barn cat to house cat (it was her house, though she was agreeable to us being there as long as we kept the Tender Vittles coming, permitted her to unravel Mom's crocheting as it happened, and left room for her on the bed) though she was not averse to grocery-shopping for mice in the hayfield. She was a ... well, there's such a label as American Domestic Shorthair, but she was your basic cat. One thing I like about cats is they manage to remain cats despite human efforts to breed them into different shapes.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #127 on: 02 Nov 2018, 19:00 »

We rescued our two moggies from shelters. We had originally planned to adopt an inseparable, bonded pair of kitties. But, as we all know, you don't choose cats, cats choose you. It took a few days for them to get used to each other, but now they are like brothers, each with his own distinct personality. One is the food thief and fearless explorer of yards and high places, the other is the slayer of flies and demander of home comforts and pats.

Baleanopter

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #128 on: 02 Nov 2018, 19:55 »

Nope, still can't make myself like Claire. If anything disliking her even more.

Yup, basically every appearance I dislike her more and more.
I mean yes, Clinton’s comments weren’t exactly thoughtful, but they didn’t come from a place of malice. Claire’s response was just rude. In isolation this latest incident isn’t much but she just constantly behaves terribly. Not a fan.
Good to know you all are cuddly puppies under stress. Some of us aren't.
"Awoouuu   woooouuu." Thus spake The Great Whale.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #129 on: 02 Nov 2018, 21:42 »

Oh, I see. Thanks!

No, that's more the dachshund.

You made me snort out loud.  Damn near choked. 

Thank you. 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

Killspree

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #130 on: 03 Nov 2018, 01:12 »

I would urge anyone wanting a new dog to strongly consider rescuing a new friend or family member, as the case may, be from the pound over buying one from a puppy farm.

chris73

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Beep Bop Boop
« Reply #131 on: 03 Nov 2018, 02:02 »

[/quote]

That'd be fair if they were at Marten and Claires flat or if they were in a library or some other location designed for study and/or quiet but they're not, Claire has decided to study in a business setting not set up for or designed for studying yet is trying to dictate how and what people should be doing, for her benefit

Hell Elliot just baked some bread and is looking for feedback which is a completely legit and appropriate course of action but now is feeling bad because of Claire

Claire has many options open to her in regards to where she can study yet shes choosing inappropriate locations and getting snarky at people for which she has no right to except for some vague notion that "finals" are so gosh darned important that everybody should stop what they're doing and cater to her whims

theHermit

• Not quite a lurker
  • striding the web of life since 797 AD
« Reply #132 on: 03 Nov 2018, 04:58 »

Thank you for clarifying that labradoodle pun.

My immediate reaction was "why didn’t he use Google Retriever?"

BTW long time reader, but newly registered; first post, not much to expect

derris_kharlan

• Plantmonster
« Reply #133 on: 03 Nov 2018, 05:41 »

Stress isn't an excuse to act like a jerk.  Stress can explain her behavior but it doesn't mean its ok.  And as I said, this incident alone wouldn't be so bad, but when you combine it with all her previous (IMO) obnoxious behavior, it creates a pattern.

Besides which there is a difference between: "I don't like this made up character, which exists in a comic I read for enjoyment" and "I think anyone who ever acts out in real life because of stress is a terrible person".

And if you love Claire and hate, say, Emily (who I enjoy) thats totally legit.  You can have different tastes than me.  I also don't like Elliot much, but many people love him.  I'm not wrong, they aren't wrong, because its all personal opinion.
Shel kek nem ron.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #134 on: 03 Nov 2018, 08:44 »

Welcome, newly registered person!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

theHermit

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #135 on: 03 Nov 2018, 09:01 »

Welcome, newly registered person!

Thank you! Why am I a nurr?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
    • My home page
« Reply #136 on: 03 Nov 2018, 10:30 »

We've all been nurrs; it doesn't last long.

(I've no idea what it stands for - it was in place before my time.)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #137 on: 03 Nov 2018, 12:35 »

I read once that it was "Nobody's Uncle Or Relative", not that that makes much more sense.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #138 on: 03 Nov 2018, 16:17 »

At work the truck I drive is an Isuzu NRR. I pronounce it "nurr".
stePH
--

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #139 on: 03 Nov 2018, 20:01 »

You call it the "Nurr N.R.R."?
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #140 on: 04 Nov 2018, 06:53 »

:?
No, I call it the "Isuzu Nurr."
stePH
--

theHermit

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #141 on: 04 Nov 2018, 08:08 »

I read once that it was "Nobody's Uncle Or Relative", not that that makes much more sense.

Ah, probably I’m a Newly Underwritten Rookie Reader.

Just read the most from the fanfic threads. Some nice ideas and good writing, but I like the original best  :wink:

Sorry for being OT, it’s the poor-on-comics weekend.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #142 on: 04 Nov 2018, 10:04 »

Nah, its obviously "Now, Unrelated Rookie Ridiculing."

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #143 on: 04 Nov 2018, 13:21 »

That was a joke! It did not deliver as well as i thought! Sorry.
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #144 on: 04 Nov 2018, 13:30 »

That was a joke! It did not deliver as well as i thought! Sorry.
Yeah, I didn't get it. I'm kind of slow on the upchuck sometimes.
stePH
--

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #145 on: 04 Nov 2018, 19:59 »

Yeah, I didn't get it. I'm kind of slow on the upchuck sometimes.
Officially frowned upon these days, but the remedy for that when I was but a young DSL was a spoonful of syrup of ipecac.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #146 on: 04 Nov 2018, 20:19 »

... when I was but a young DSL ...

Ah yes. The good old days when you were transmitted on twisted-pair telephone cable.

theHermit

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #147 on: 05 Nov 2018, 12:28 »

I was received in a BBS called Nostromo.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #148 on: 06 Nov 2018, 01:04 »

I was received in a BBS called Nostromo.

... and your NURR-dom is done!
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

cybersmurf

« Reply #149 on: 06 Nov 2018, 01:46 »

Das also war des Pudels Kern...

To go full Brun I'd have to do some kind of fist pun, or maybe boxing facts. But i'm drawing a blank. I guess I got to throw the towel on that one.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up