- 4 (5.9%)
Spookybot
- 8 (11.8%)
Other...
- 5 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Voting closed: 11 Nov 2018, 19:31

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 3866-3871 (5th November to 10th November 2018)  (Read 23361 times)

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

Never hurts to brush up a bit on it.

Otherwise, that study energy could be put to use for a videogame.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

I have never been a fan of last-minute study for an exam. You say it never hurts, but most likely you will not retain anything new. It's more likely you will just make yourself more anxious.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.

I have never been a fan of last-minute study for an exam. You say it never hurts, but most likely you will not retain anything new. It's more likely you will just make yourself more anxious.

A few years ago I decided that I was going to get comfortable with the material then stop giving a damn - the score I get is the score I get.  Now I do much better on exams.

Scarlet Manuka

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

most likely you will not retain anything new.

In my experience, whether this is true is highly variable from one person to another. Some people really are able to go through their material and retain a lot of details for a few days, enough to get you through an exam. I am one of those people, or at least I was during my university days; it's not something I have had much reason to test in the last couple of decades.

I think it has a lot to do with one's learning style. Mine seems to be predominantly verbal - operating with both spoken and written words, but obviously the latter is generally more relevant for exams. Even with a science curriculum at university this was useful; for my English Literature exams at high school it was very helpful - I remember that for our final exams, after I'd done my main revision, I went through our texts and noted down quite a decent stock of quotes which could be used to illuminate the themes we'd explored, and I was able to use several of these in the exam.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!

I'm going to treat the poll as if it was serious because that's how I roll. I want our Space Princess of Anxiety to come back to claim her throne and I think having a completely amoral god-AI hanging around like Discord in My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic would be great!

As for today's strip, I think that we're manoeuvring into the section of Claire's character arc where she addresses a thorny problem: Who is she? She's been defined by labels and short-term goals like graduating for some time. I wonder if she's ever really ever bothered to wonder what she wants to do with her life and where she wants to go after she has the wide world of adult life ahead of her!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

derris_kharlan

• Plantmonster

Depends on subject. For my Japanese study I often am able to remember a few more Vocab words from some last minute cramming. I don’t cram from a stress standpoint though, I know it won’t make a huge difference, but it can help some.
Shel kek nem ron.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

"Oh yeah, that was just last night. Marten's into some unusual stuff."
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce

We're gonna have to rename the "claire face" to the "augustus face" because clinton is definitely wearing it in that last panel.
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

theHermit

• Not quite a lurker
  • striding the web of life since 797 AD

I wonder if she's ever really ever bothered to wonder what she wants to do with her life

I still don’t know, and there’s not so much more adult life in front of me...  :laugh:

Since I couldn’t decide what to study (maybe computer science, linguistics or cybernetics) I took an apprenticeship in a field I liked.
Why learn a profession, I asked, I’ll marry anyway. Married twice, didn’t work out. Self-unemployed for a while now. Probably going to be a freelance pagan priest.

Tova

• coprophage

I wonder if she's ever really ever bothered to wonder what she wants to do with her life and where she wants to go after she has the wide world of adult life ahead of her!

I'm certain that she, of all QC characters, has wondered that. Multiple times, probably. And will do again and again. This isn't something you just decide once then put in a drawer and never think about again.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?

As a guy crowding forty who's seen pot go from "Illegal and EVIL" to "Illegal and ill advised" to "Not terrible, but still Illegal" to "Why is this still Illegal when I can get drunk" to "Legal, but only kinda sorta legal" to "fine, have your grass already, just smoke it in your house", today's comic feels weird to me.

My old man brain sometimes has trouble parsing the way the world has changed during my life.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri

Legal in Canada, now. Should be interesting to see how it plays out.

Is weed legal in Northhampton? Fictional or real city?

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics

Legal in Canada, now. Should be interesting to see how it plays out.

Is weed legal in Northhampton? Fictional or real city?

IIRC, Massachusetts legalized it in 2016.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri

*Canadian*  See, I did not know that.

BenRG

• coprophage

I think that I now understand that Claire and Clinton's habit of suddenly taking hard turns into random asides is a family characteristic; their mother does it too!

As for 'rebellion' as a title...? Let's put it this way: Smoking pot has become so mainstream that I would argue that not partaking is actually an act of rebellion against society's view of normal and acceptable behaviour, much in the same way as not being sexually active or never getting drunk.
~~~~

SmilingCat

• You is friend or food?

As for 'rebellion' as a title...? Let's put it this way: Smoking pot has become so mainstream that I would argue that not partaking is actually an act of rebellion against society's view of normal and acceptable behaviour, much in the same way as not being sexually active or never getting drunk.

Woo! I'm a rebel!

It's actually a very dangerous notion to suggest it's not normal for someone to not want to get drunk, have sex, or use pot.

theHermit

• Not quite a lurker
  • striding the web of life since 797 AD

Woo! I'm a rebel!

Me too. Was never drunk and never smoked. Tried cookies twice. Won’t again.

Back to Claire: How far are her exams away? Wouldn’t be fun if she had to write them in a backflash.

BenRG

• coprophage

Back to Claire: How far are her exams away?

Jeph really isn't into hard time-keeping in QC. The most that you can say is that it is at some point in the immediate future, given that Claire is currently been in panic-cram mode for a while and is also stressing about post-graduation employment.
~~~~

dutchrvl

I think that I now understand that Claire and Clinton's habit of suddenly taking hard turns into random asides is a family characteristic; their mother does it too!

Bolding mine.

And ehm...yeah not really. The vast majority of people still don't partake in smoking weed and I'd argue it's still not generally expected (or 'normal') behavior. Yes people are increasingly tolerant about people smoking/consuming, which is not quite the same as it being considered normal/expected.

By the way, the above is also true for consuming weed in any form in the Netherlands. While many people in the US seem to think that in the Netherlands the majority of people at some point consume marijuana or consider it completely normal behavior is pretty far from the truth, actually, despite the fact that people are generally not super-judgy about it.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Claire is judging what is and is not "rebellious" by her own tightly wound standards.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!

There's a first time for everything, including socially acceptable activities like drinking, sexual activity or whatever applies in your circle. At any point in your life doing something you've never done before, even if it doesn't seem like big deal to someone else who does it all the time, can be a huge deal to you.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto

Claire will never be the same again...
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!

This isn’t the first time Claire has used marijuana, because she told Tai it made her anxious and there’s no way she would know that if she hadn’t tried it.

It is, however, the first time she has used marijuana with her mother.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

Good point, I forgot about that.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Woo! I'm a rebel!

It's actually a very dangerous notion to suggest it's not normal for someone to not want to get drunk, have sex, or use pot.

The word 'normal' is the main issue, I would argue. There's no normality in partaking or not for any of those things. Statistically likely, sure. But normal is nothing and the second you have 'normal' that starts making people 'not normal.'
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Tova

• coprophage

Back to Claire: How far are her exams away?

Jeph really isn't into hard time-keeping in QC. The most that you can say is that it is at some point in the immediate future, given that Claire is currently been in panic-cram mode for a while and is also stressing about post-graduation employment.

Psst. You cut off a relevant bit of the quote. I mean, everything you said in response is true, but I believe theHermit was really just wondering out loud whether this activity will affect Claire's exams, not indulging in an exercise of trying to measure comic time.

Back to Claire: How far are her exams away? Wouldn’t be fun if she had to write them in a backflash.

(emphasis added)

SmilingCat

• You is friend or food?

The word 'normal' is the main issue, I would argue. There's no normality in partaking or not for any of those things. Statistically likely, sure. But normal is nothing and the second you have 'normal' that starts making people 'not normal.'

I'm a bit hypersensitive to this sort of thing, as I've had actual friends treat me as abnormal for not wanting to drink. It was surprisingly difficult to convince them that I didn't need to drink and they should respect my choice without demanding a goddamn explanation.

(though I only had to threaten one of them)

You'd think it would be a simple principle. I don't question their choices when it comes to that sort of thing, they shouldn't question mine.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

I'm a bit hypersensitive to this sort of thing, as I've had actual friends treat me as abnormal for not wanting to drink. It was surprisingly difficult to convince them that I didn't need to drink and they should respect my choice without demanding a goddamn explanation.

You'd think it would be a simple principle. I don't question their choices when it comes to that sort of thing, they shouldn't question mine.

Oh I totally get that sensitivity. I'm teetotal now, after a time of drinking to various degrees. I got drunk once when I was 14 or so and hated it so stopped and people were just aghast. It eventually became about digging my heels in. 'HOW CAN YOU HAVE FUN IF YOU DON'T DRINK?'

The very next drink I took, some five years later, was at university, when somebody asked me if I would like a drink rather than saying I had to have one. Once I'd made it through one party sober without anyone being an asshole about it, I experimented a bit more and eventually became a pretty gold-standard drunk for eight years or so, with a couple of years of 'unfortunate cocaine habit' in there too.

Nowadays I'm teetotal again outside of maybe a double Scotch on a special occasion, and to this day I do still get shit about it.

TL;DR: I get completely where you were coming from. I was endeavouring to broaden the scope of what you were saying.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page

I suspect the "you must have a drink" thing is worse in older generations, too.  There are people to whom the only response I can manage is to accept the drink (they've poured it while I'm saying "no, thank you"), but then not drink all, or any, of it.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Tova

• coprophage

Yes, it's not such a great thing that you need strategies to deal with social situations where you just don't want to drink.

I have extensively used both the nursing a full drink at all times gambit and the no thanks, I'm driving gambit.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!

I drink sometimes, just if I feel like it or not. My partner does not drink at all, he tried before I knew him and didn't like it and now never drinks. After eight years my friends and family still ask almost every time he's around does he want an alcoholic drink. At special occasions he'll still get the "Are you sure? Go on." for toasts and it might get poured before or during the refusal. He can get away with saying I'm drinking so he's driving, or sometimes I can say when I don't feel like drinking that it's so he doesn't feel weird being the only one not drinking. Still nonsense to feel like an excuse is needed.

SmilingCat

• You is friend or food?

Well I'm naturally antisocial, to the point of reacting angrily to peer pressure (before I got on antidepressants, I handle anger better now).

My circle of friends is small enough and old enough that I don't have to worry about it so much anymore.

Though if all else fails and I'm feeling diplomatic, I can always lean on my disability. Technically my doctors did tell me not to drink (as part of normal patient interaction).

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

Is this really something you need a partner's input on?  If you're thinking about taking it up as a regular habit, sure, but a one-time celebration thing... I dunno.  This strip bugs me and I can't quite put my finger on *why*.

pendrake

• Curry sauce

For comic #3868...

*squeak*

That is all.

Rincewind

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Luck's my middle name-mind you,my first name's Bad

Apparently, Tai can speak Bat and Marten can understand Bat.     8-)
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer.

TheEvilDog

Well this can only end in shenanigans.

jesslc

• Furry furrier

Is this really something you need a partner's input on?  If you're thinking about taking it up as a regular habit, sure, but a one-time celebration thing... I dunno.  This strip bugs me and I can't quite put my finger on *why*.
I don't think it is something you need a partner's input on but I feel like it fits with Claire's personality that she would decide to tell Marten. And I think his response is kind of showing a little surprise that she bothered to tell him before she did it.

Personally I can't help thinking that "maybe right before your exams isn't the best time to try something that gave you a panic attack the only other time you had it" but it's not my life, so yeah. For Claire's sake I hope this time is better. And if not, maybe having Tai on the scene will be helpful...?

Ugh! Why do people get so annoying about it if you don't drink alcohol? I also had to call out friends to quit it with the peer pressure around drinking already. I don't know if they felt like me not drinking meant I was judging them for drinking or what... but having them not accept my "No thanks" as a valid response to whatever variation of "Do you want some alcohol?" they had asked me was super frustrating. It eased up a bit after I told them to quit it with the peer pressure but it still happened occasionally. I don't care if someone choose to drink or not - it's none of my business - so long as they don't try to persuade me to drink with them. I can enjoy this party perfectly well with my glass of water or OJ thanks - or at least I would be able to if you weren't hassling me!

These days I pretty much only hang out with people who don't care if I drink or not, and mostly in situations where alcohol isn't expected (eg. coffee shop/afternoon gathering/etc) so thankfully I haven't had to put up with it recently but I still remember how frustrating it was.

cybersmurf

The way I see it, Claire simply informed Marten on what was going on, and he shouldn't be surprised if she came home unable to stop giggling and stuff.

Getting high with your mom? Questionably rebellious (but look at this comic's title :-P).
Getting high with your mom and your boss? Oh, my!
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

BenRG

• coprophage

Whilst Mrs A doesn't think that using her cannabis vaper is in any way 'doing something wild', it's pretty clear where Jeph is going to take this: Tai is going to dare an under-the-influence Claire to do something wild and there will be consequences.

Like what? Maybe get a pretty tattoo of a butterfly on her hip or something. Because, stoned or not, something tells me that Claire is always pretty straight and restrained.
~~~~

Drunken Old Man

• Balloon animal serial killer

Hm, I thought that it was kinda cool of Claire to check in with Martin first, just so he knows what up.  I'd have done the same and, if my wife had a real objection to my partaking, I'd have respected that.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor

"Weed" in a vape?

So, like, resin...?
In Vape quantities?
Jebus - surely that would blow yer head off??
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto

I have nothing against Tai, but for me, that's a mother-daughter moment nobody is supposed to get involved in...
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

Tova

• coprophage

It's up to them, though, isn't it?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

"Weed" in a vape?

So, like, resin...?
In Vape quantities?

I have generally found them to be quite variable and unpredictable but a friend of mine swears by his.

Mojo

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia

Ok, first let me get this out of the way, I voted "Other" and meant Raven.

Now then.  On to Claire's decision to get stoned.  I don't think it's a bad idea in and of itself... but if I were her, I think I'd have waited until AFTER the exam, in case there are any lingering aftereffects.

:claireface:

hakko504

• Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek

Getting high with your mom? Questionably rebellious (but look at this comic's title :-P).
Getting high with your mom and your boss? Oh, my!
Ex-boss surely? Can't find it right now, but at some point Claire got her evaluation from Tai, and I was under the impression that her internship ended at that time.
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU

"Weed" in a vape?

So, like, resin...?
In Vape quantities?

I have generally found them to be quite variable and unpredictable but a friend of mine swears by his.

My sister in law uses them, or something similar. I strongly approve, because I hate the smell, and her contraption has none.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri

Yeah, I think adding TAI to the mix will cause trouble. Ha,.

TheEvilDog

I have nothing against Tai, but for me, that's a mother-daughter moment nobody is supposed to get involved in...
It's up to them, though, isn't it?

Yeah, but it does feel like Tai is inviting herself. It just feels a little much, even for Tai. Especially if she's never met Mother Augustus before. And now that I think of it, have Claire and Tai had any meaningful interaction outside of the group and outside of the library?
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up