- 4 (5.9%)
Spookybot
- 8 (11.8%)
Other...
- 5 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Voting closed: 11 Nov 2018, 19:31

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 3866-3871 (5th November to 10th November 2018)  (Read 23059 times)

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC

I'm sure that if it were as inappropriate or awkward as you seem to think, Marten would never have offered to ask.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

chris73

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Beep Bop Boop

Looking back at some of Tais behavior she can be quite...I don't know, inconsiderate, selfish maybe.

I mean the whole telling Marten (her subordinate) she really likes his girlfriend or asking asking him for advice in making up with Dora, a situation he found (not unreasonably) quite uncomfortable and now this...

IF you want to insert yourself in a mother daughter thing thats your business but you ask, don't make Marten ask for you
« Last Edit: 07 Nov 2018, 17:42 by chris73 »

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint

Especially since Marten offers all the resistance of a wet noodle to... just about anything.  And Tai surely knows this.

IMO, it is (at least adjacent to) inviting herself, to something that may well be private, and even asking the question might be considered inappropriate (also inconsiderate, selfish, insensitive, etc etc).
... and yet, entirely in character for Tai, also IMO.   :-P  :roll:

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

Legal in Canada, now. Should be interesting to see how it plays out.

Is weed legal in Northhampton? Fictional or real city?

IIRC, Massachusetts legalized it in 2016.

They can't bust her for it (unless she has more than ten ounces at home, or one in public), but they can seize it, because unless she has a prescription, she unquestionably bought it illegally.  Recreational sales have been "a month away" for two years now.  We've seen that the police in Jeph's Northampton don't seem to mind much, though, although that might've changed on a meta level with Roko's arc.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Theta9

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Not even that gay.

So, I'm not quite clear on this... does Tai like to party?
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri

"Mary Jane hoedown."

*lol*

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

I'm not sure.

Tova

• coprophage

In spite of my recent policy to let character-hate posts go through to the keeper, I can't help but register my confusion as to whether the message here is that she should have invited herself or should not have. To an event that is almost certainly not the deep mother-daughter moment you're all making it out to be.

Also, while I know that bashing Marten's backbone, or lack thereof, is a forum sport, he's perfectly capable of showing resistance when he has to.

IF you want to insert yourself in a mother daughter thing thats your business but you ask, don't make Marten ask for you

IMO, it is (at least adjacent to) inviting herself, to something that may well be private, and even asking the question might be considered inappropriate (also inconsiderate, selfish, insensitive, etc etc).

Anyway, I've just decided that I like Tai even more.

I'm not sure.

Maybe.

Edit: Forgot to mention. If Marten asks, it won't be at all awkward for Claire to say "no". Whereas if Tai had asked directly, that might have been more socially awkward. Really, this way is much more socially appropriate.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

In re:  Tai's participation in the mother-daughter bong bonding and whether Tai is stepping outside of the boundaries set by her position, allow me:

I was, for 25 years, part of a newspaper newsroom staffed largely by young people not too long out of college, living far from wherever home had been, and in a community that drew definite lines between who was "from here" and who wasn't. Naturally, the young co-workers became social. The younger echelon of the newsroom became a family (sometimes literally; I can immediately think of three -- no, four -- marriages whose spark was first struck on deadline). I know that some of my most enduring friendships were formed in my first two years there, while most of the co-workers who came after (particularly as I became "too old for this sh!t") blur together in, or drop out of, my memory.

These relationships brought the minefields one might expect, the hurt feelings and the favoritism, and I won't argue with anyone who wants to doubt the appropriateness of this, but that doesn't change the reality of them.

My point is that the judgment of whether Tai crossed a boundary may be muddied by the fact that, in such a workplace/social situation, the boundaries may be blurry indeed.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

Boundaries blurred? In QC?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tova

• coprophage

My point is that the judgment of whether Tai crossed a boundary may be muddied by the fact that, in such a workplace/social situation, the boundaries may be blurry indeed.

I didn't even realise that the crossing of workplace/personal boundaries was a factor in this conversation. But that would explain a lot.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask

Really, it's not, Claire no longer works at the library.  That was a summer internship, and during the school year, she was a TA.  An ex-boss who's friends with your boyfriend and roommate isn't crossing workplace boundary lines here.

badbum61

• I'm going to eight, baby!

Never get out of the boat!
What the hell are YOU staring at?

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

I didn't even realise that the crossing of workplace/personal boundaries was a factor in this conversation. But that would explain a lot.

Tai vs. boundaries is a subject that occasionally rears its head. Granted, the workplace dynamic may no longer exist, but the present relationship among the characters was certainly forged in an environment that reminds me (not always uncomfortably) of the newsroom that was pretty much my life for 25 years.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

But Marten still works for Tai - I think you guys misplaced the boundary in the first place, no matter how blurred! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto

I don't know for the others, but my point was that you don't interfere in a mother-daughter (or any parent-child) moment if not invited to...

But yes, after some tought, the fact that Claire is Marten's girlfriend and Tai is Marten's boss could even make her request look like harrassement. I know, that's not the kind of relations those characters have and everybody seems to be happy, actually, no need to remind me...

And Tai didn't really request anything. She just squeaked...
« Last Edit: 09 Nov 2018, 06:27 by traroth »
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N

I'd say she violated both Marten and Claire's boundaries, arguably...

gopher

Never a Tai fan, the ay she "Humorously" sleazes at other people's girlfriends would not be tolerated in anyone else, this just lowers my opinion of her. If you want to get wrecked, do it with your friends, not your employee's GF and her Mum.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

This thread has got pretty judgy.

Whether she violated Marten's boundaries is debatable but she didn't actually say anything, he offered.

Claire's, if they were violated by anyone, were violated by Marten for asking her.

And I have no idea what the definition of 'sleaze' as a verb is to you, gopher, but my relationship features free exchange of 'God I'd love to fuck them' remarks about people real, fictional, known personally or only known from a distance e.g. celebrities.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Tova

• coprophage

Never a Tai fan, the ay she "Humorously" sleazes at other people's girlfriends would not be tolerated in anyone else, this just lowers my opinion of her. If you want to get wrecked, do it with your friends, not your employee's GF and her Mum.

In this specific situation, why not? No-one in their own circle of friends has a problem with it. So why do you? And that goes for everyone else acting judgementally.

If Claire had a problem with it, then I'd be with you.

This latest outbreak of disapproval, just like the previous, seems to stem from a misjudgment of other people's friendship dynamics.

Roborat

• Furry furrier

So, the O7100 catches fire does it.  So now we know the real reason Faye's apartment caught fire.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons

Not the malevolent AI toaster? (Frakkin' toasters)

Do the O7100 or 7200 have AIs?

If so, are they affected by the aromas of the consumed material? (it can't all be tea!)

So many ramifications.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri

I kinda get the feeling this will be a BAD trip. Hope I'm wrong...

https://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3870

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce

Claire's mom is the mom friend.

wait
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod

No shame in being light weight. I dont smoke MJ but im kind of light weight with alcohol and that makes the nights out SO MUCH cheaper haha!

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto

Insert GTA V "Wasted" meme picture here.

(I'm feeling so lazy, today...)
« Last Edit: 09 Nov 2018, 06:26 by traroth »

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Yep, a vape will do this. Especially for an inexperienced user.

Wait, reverse those two facets, I can't be bothered to edit.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor

Yeeaahh...

I'm gonna say, "CALLED IT!"  :)

Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Tai Fanboi

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • DeadWinter

https://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3870

I think it'll start out that way.  But, I also think it's why Tai's there in the first place.  You've got one, inexperienced user who had a bad time on their only time using.  That in of itself is enough to start this next experience off on the wrong foot.  I used to be that way when I used to dabble.  Unless I was in my own home, or a few close friends homes where I felt about as comfortable as if I was in my own home, anxiety and a miserable experience was on the way.  And since I knew it?  I focused on it, and that made it worse. 

But, now add in Tai.  I can kind of see her acting along as the Hallucinogenic Sherpa of the trip with her experience.  She's been there, she's done it, she's seen it, she's seen multiples of people go through it.  I can see her trying to guide Claire back on track and offer her some tips and tricks on how to enjoy herself and have a good time with it.  Then add in Mom.  Having your mom around as a friendly face, well doesn't get more "comfortable" than that in order to relieve tensions and anxiety. 

Personally I think after the initial bad situation is over with, everything will get on track and some talking to mom and Tai about what's got her worked up, career, future etc. is coming.  Tai offering career advice while Mom telling her not to think about this and her career as an end all defining moment because anyone is allowed to change at any given point, I mean, from what Clinton and Claire have mentioned, Claire's mom has been experimenting and changing quite a bit herself as of late. 
Oh god, I should've drunk more so I wouldn't remember that.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

Yeah you are correct that any kind of experimentation with narcotics really should include at least one experienced user to act as a guide.

Doesn't just apply to drugs either. There's sexual experimentation, even other completely non-threatening activities.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto

Just a side remark: better not having time to get cookies in the oven than not having time to get them out...

And for the ten next pages, Tai is not saying anything else than "Haha, here we go" :D

Roborat

• Furry furrier

I love Claire's eyes in the last panel.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.

Are there weed vaping rigs that look like that? I've only seen the "pen" type. That looks like a typical nicotine vaping rig.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

If you can inhale something through it, weed going into it is possible. And I have seen every kind of vape used for weed.

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?

If I were to partake (I don't), I think I'd prefer something that big over those small pen type models. Our obsession with cramming powerful batteries into tighter and tighter spaces is nothing but trouble.

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce

And that goes double for devices whose specific purpose is generating enough heat to vaporise stuff.
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.

If I were to partake (I don't), I think I'd prefer something that big over those small pen type models. Our obsession with cramming powerful batteries into tighter and tighter spaces is nothing but trouble.

The vape pens are mostly incredibly weak. The mid-size ones are likely to be the ones that would be the biggest concern as far as the combination of compact and powerful.

badbum61

• I'm going to eight, baby!

Hmm, I just ordered a vape this week. Hope I'm not getting the 7100...we live in a high fire risk zone already!
What the hell are YOU staring at?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns

I am getting nervous about this.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Magniras

• Larger than most fish
  • INTERNET SPACESHIPS

Wow. The only time I’ve been that high was after four massive gravity bong hits.

I could feel my individual teeth after that.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle

Just a side remark: better not having time to get cookies in the oven than not having time to get them out...

And for the ten next pages, Tai is not saying anything else than "Haha, here we go" :D
"It's totes not safe to bake while baked, dude."
Tato Po of clan Wyrntail (my stoner surfer barbarian Tortle)
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto

Reminds me of the first time I smoked cannabis (resin, it's the easiest stuff to find, here in France), in the 90s. We were four friends and I was the only one who hadn't tried it yet. One of them had rolled two spliffs, and we sat  in circle in the grass like real hippies. When we were done, I was completely stoned. And worst, when we got up, I got up too fast, and the blood retired from my brain. The way I then collapsed against a nearby wall was the main joke for weeks after that... :D
« Last Edit: 11 Nov 2018, 12:31 by traroth »

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.

I'm guessing you're using the term "trip" liberally.  I usually reserve the term for hallucinogens (LSD, magic mushrooms, etc).  Marijuana isn't an hallucinogen, but the seriously high doses available through vaping oil can have weird effects.  And there was a spate for a while of some marijuana being laced with other drugs, which just fucks everything up.  I don't know how likely it is that a cannabis oil product would be laced with anything else, and certainly not a legally available commercial product. 

However Claire is definitely heading to a new location! 

Yeah you are correct that any kind of experimentation with narcotics really should include at least one experienced user to act as a guide.

OK, Marijuana - in any form - is not a narcotic.  Narcotics are pain relievers that specifically target the opioid receptors in the nervous system for pain relief, and are addictive.  While marijuana can have a pain relieving effect, it's not a narcotic, and has been shown to be no more (physically) addictive than chips.  Psychological addiction is a different story, as it is with anything else. 

Doesn't just apply to drugs either. There's sexual experimentation, even other completely non-threatening activities.

Yes, you should definitely have an experienced guide on any kind of trip - even the ones where you're actually just traveling! 

[insert the last line from the Grateful Dead's Truckin' here]
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

BlueFatima

• Balloon animal serial killer

I worked in a university library for several years while I was in college. Yes, these friend/coworker/boss relationships are accurate (at least compared to the experiences I had). I became close platonic friends with a boss. We roomed together after I quit, too...so if you want to talk about blurred boundaries and working relationships there you go.

I actually miss that place to the point I'd consider going back to work at a library even though it is out of my field, and I'd make a fraction of my current earnings. It was like a family with few of the vices and dysfunctionality most families have, and it had good benefits, too, between healthcare and tuition remission. People were professional, but their personalities were casual. We were just a bunch of nerds who loved to read, help people, and maybe enjoyed categorizing things as well. Of course, I'm sure not every library is like that, but when I see Marten, Tai, and Claire working together, it brings me back fond memories.

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.

Since neither Claire nor Magustus* have voiced any objections to Tai's presence - indeed, the seem very glad she's joined them - Tai cannot have transgressed.  No one else has any standing to object.  It's not unlike certain church-goers objecting to the activities of consenting adults out of public view.  It's none of their God damned business.

On the other hand, chocolate chip cookies are usually baked at 350°F/177°C and will certainly generate copious quantities of smoke if left in too long.  Further, the inhalation of the products of combustion of Nature's Leaf is alleged to have a marked effect upon the individual's perception of time (or so I'm told).  Concern about an excess of cookie fumes engendering a fire service response is thoroughly justified.

*"Momma Augustus" contracted - She needs a name, Jeph.

Scarlet Manuka

Further, the inhalation of the products of combustion of Nature's Leaf is alleged to have a marked effect upon the individual's perception of time (or so I'm told).  Concern about an excess of cookie fumes engendering a fire service response is thoroughly justified.
This is what timers are for, even when not under the influence of any sort of leaf.

SmilingCat

• You is friend or food?

OK, Marijuana - in any form - is not a narcotic.  Narcotics are pain relievers that specifically target the opioid receptors in the nervous system for pain relief, and are addictive.  While marijuana can have a pain relieving effect, it's not a narcotic, and has been shown to be no more (physically) addictive than chips.  Psychological addiction is a different story, as it is with anything else. 

Your definition of narcotic is not the only definition, or even the only right definition (or even necessarily an accurate definition). Broadly defined, a narcotic is any drug or substance affecting mood or behavior that is used for non-medical purposes. Thus, Marijuana is a narcotic, but so is Caffeine.

Legally, Marijuana is classified as a narcotic under the "Single Convention on Narcotic Drugs" treaty of 1961. Alongside opioids, synthetic opiods, and other drugs such as cocaine.

In its original form, a narcotic was a substance that induced sleep (from the Greek for "To Make Numb"). Association with opioids came later.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor

As a grunt in the medical community, though, I can say it's certainly the way doctors use it nowadays, right down to the fact that our allergy listing (which has categories for macrolides, cillins, benzos, statins, triptans, NSAIDs, what-have-you) doesn't even have a category for "opioids" - it's "narcotics."

SmilingCat

• You is friend or food?

Medical definition is not the sole definition, however. Or even necessarily the most common. Or the definition used for legal purposes.

The bane of language is that there's a bunch of different groups all using the same word differently.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental

Not so - unless we then decide to carry around those small powerful batteries on our bodies, preferably right next to major bloodvessels and/or sensitive organs in order to maximise hazard and distress in the event of catastrophic failure.

Humans ...
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up