THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Mar 2024, 19:01
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 12-16 November 2018 (3871-3875)  (Read 26874 times)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
Re: WCDT 12-16 November 2018 (3871-3875)
« Reply #50 on: 13 Nov 2018, 12:25 »

I certainly wasn't deliberately giving a hard time to anybody.

BryanP, if you're feeling jumped on here, then I apologise. My original question was mainly because the legality aspect hasn't stopped 99% of the people I know. I was curious as to why it stopped you in particular, and then my aghast responses were at American employment policy and law, certainly not at you.

The off-topic point is definitely noted, so let's all - including me - get back to the comic, eh?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

A small perverse otter

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Staying well enhydrated
« Reply #51 on: 13 Nov 2018, 14:07 »

Yeah, drug testing is a feature of many professions. I got regularly tested as a software developer working for a major corporation.

Off-topic - this is either a Tapatalk bug or some weird interaction between the forum and Tapatalk, but Tapatalk is informing me that I am banned from the forum. Obviously this is incorrect since I can still post through a browser. But somebody with access to the back end may want to take a look.

I can see random drug testing for occupations that have a strong safety aspect, but a software developer? Really?   What are you going to do, program some really laid back code?
There are at least three reasons. One is uniformity: if you test and fire fork-lift operators, you need to treat your software developers the same way. Just saying "Well, it won't matter" is both unfair and possibly untrue. You don't actually know what downstream consequences your policy might have. The second is liability mitigation: on-premise intoxication is closely associated with an increase in HR violations, ranging from misuse of company resources...like, you know, a fork-lift?...to increases in impermissible harassment. The third is information and physical security: if you are using a controlled substance incorrectly, then your risk of activities which impair site or information security rises due to impaired judgment.

You can reasonably argue that the same concerns apply to alcohol, and you'd be right. That's one of the reasons that some companies impose a no alcohol policy on company events: they're limiting risk.
"AGH! Humans are so STUPID sometimes!" -- QC #3668

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #52 on: 13 Nov 2018, 14:39 »

I agree we should be careful around this subject (but it is what the comic is currently about).  But I see no bullying.  If anything I see sympathy for being bound by laws and their enforcement which many people would rather see changed.  Plus an explanation of circumstances in which restrictions absolutely make sense (just as drink/drive laws do).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Theta9

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Not even that gay.
« Reply #53 on: 13 Nov 2018, 16:45 »

Yeah, drug testing is a feature of many professions. I got regularly tested as a software developer working for a major corporation.
I was a school bus driver until just a couple of months ago, and anybody who wants a Commercial Driver's License has to submit to a DoT physical which includes a drug test - DoT is a federal body. Even though weed's legal here in Oregon.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

BryanP

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #54 on: 13 Nov 2018, 16:57 »

I certainly wasn't deliberately giving a hard time to anybody.

BryanP, if you're feeling jumped on here, then I apologise. My original question was mainly because the legality aspect hasn't stopped 99% of the people I know. I was curious as to why it stopped you in particular, and then my aghast responses were at American employment policy and law, certainly not at you.

The off-topic point is definitely noted, so let's all - including me - get back to the comic, eh?

I’ve been offline most of the day, so I’m just seeing this. It’s fine.

And since you and others were talking about it, guns also play in to it. I’m one of those eeeeevil gun owners who likes to blow holes in defenseless paper targets at my local firing range. Based on recent court decisions, even if my state legalizes medical marijuana, until it’s completely legalized at the federal level I can’t touch it or I lose my rights to own firearms.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #55 on: 13 Nov 2018, 17:12 »

If anything I see sympathy for being bound by laws and their enforcement which many people would rather see changed.

That's not what I saw. But let's move on.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?
« Reply #56 on: 13 Nov 2018, 17:36 »

Some thoughts:

1)  Walmart isn't a supermarket (and even selling groceries is a relatively new thing for a lot of them). It's basically a department store. They have an outdoor and hunting department, therefore guns (they still sell them).

2) Personally, I always liked the way certain chemical names sounded. Hexachlorobutadiene.

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #57 on: 13 Nov 2018, 18:13 »

Walmart Supercenters are a type of hypermarket, really - both a department store and a supermarket in one. (Meijer is another example in the US, and they also sell firearms. Which, at an event I was at in Kentucky, horrified a Canadian guy at the event, who learned that you couldn't buy alcohol on a Sunday at 8 AM, but you could buy firearms and ammo.)

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #58 on: 13 Nov 2018, 19:05 »

Comic!
Tai's finding a lot to squeak about today. I... think that's good?
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #59 on: 13 Nov 2018, 21:17 »

I just wanted to mention that "verklempt" is also an excellent word, which I will use at the slightest provocation.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #60 on: 13 Nov 2018, 21:30 »

Walmart Supercenters are a type of hypermarket, really - both a department store and a supermarket in one. (Meijer is another example in the US, and they also sell firearms. Which, at an event I was at in Kentucky, horrified a Canadian guy at the event, who learned that you couldn't buy alcohol on a Sunday at 8 AM, but you could buy firearms and ammo.)

Generally speaking, beer is a terrible beverage when hunting.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #61 on: 13 Nov 2018, 23:24 »

New comic up and Claire is going through the huggy phase. It's sweet to see how close she is to her mother and I think Tai's reaction to being included is genuinely adorable.

That said, I can't shake the feeling that they're all going to end up doing something silly whilst under the influence. It's just making them all so silly that I've got the feeling that they're going to start going down the "well, it seemed like a good idea at the time.." cul-de-sac.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Sullivan

• Furry furrier
  • Speaker-to- ... um... hm.
« Reply #62 on: 13 Nov 2018, 23:47 »

ED IS THE TRUE PATH TO NIRVANA!  ED HAS BEEN THE CHOICE OF EDUCATED AND IGNORANT ALIKE FOR CENTURIES!  ED WILL NOT CORRUPT YOUR PRECIOUS BODILY FLUIDS!!  ED IS THE STANDARD TEXT EDITOR!  ED MAKES THE SUN SHINE AND THE BIRDS SING AND THE GRASS GREEN!!
?

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #63 on: 14 Nov 2018, 00:56 »

Off-topic - this is either a Tapatalk bug or some weird interaction between the forum and Tapatalk, but Tapatalk is informing me that I am banned from the forum. Obviously this is incorrect since I can still post through a browser. But somebody with access to the back end may want to take a look.

I can see random drug testing for occupations that have a strong safety aspect, but a software developer? Really?   What are you going to do, program some really laid back code?

Software doesn't always mean your regular word processor. It could also mean embedded software for planes or nuclear power plants. Or even military stuff involving nuclear explosions, for example...
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #64 on: 14 Nov 2018, 01:04 »

I was a school bus driver until just a couple of months ago, and anybody who wants a Commercial Driver's License has to submit to a DoT physical which includes a drug test - DoT is a federal body. Even though weed's legal here in Oregon.

So weed is legal in Oregon, but if you smoke some, you may loose your job, if you are a bus driver. How weird is that?

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #65 on: 14 Nov 2018, 01:14 »

So weed is legal in Oregon, but if you smoke some, you may loose your job, if you are a bus driver. How weird is that?

Much the same as... "Alcohol is legal, but if you drink it then try to drive a bus, you'll lose your job.", I would imagine?
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #66 on: 14 Nov 2018, 01:54 »

You can reasonably argue that the same concerns apply to alcohol, and you'd be right. That's one of the reasons that some companies impose a no alcohol policy on company events: they're limiting risk.
A place I worked introduced a Happy Hour on Friday night where beer was served in the company canteen. Then, all too predictably, a couple of people were RBTed driving home, and lost their licences, so the company shut it down. Much better to never have started it, IMHO.

ED IS THE TRUE PATH TO NIRVANA!  ED HAS BEEN THE CHOICE OF EDUCATED AND IGNORANT ALIKE FOR CENTURIES!  ED WILL NOT CORRUPT YOUR PRECIOUS BODILY FLUIDS!!  ED IS THE STANDARD TEXT EDITOR!  ED MAKES THE SUN SHINE AND THE BIRDS SING AND THE GRASS GREEN!!
?
Editor wars... Don't make eye-contact, and just keep walking.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #67 on: 14 Nov 2018, 02:05 »

Back in the '70s when I was writing my own OS and environment, naturally I wrote my own text editor.  Equally inevitably it was called PHED.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #68 on: 14 Nov 2018, 02:33 »

...how many Wal-Marts even have produce?  To me, this is the sine qua non, with even a few convenience stores around me having onions, potatoes, and bananas, but not the local Wal-Mart, which doesn't have firearms, but if it did they'd most likely be between the mountain bikes and the fishing rods.  Wal-Mart's a department store, not a grocery store, or even anything in between.  Sure, they've got a few packaged foods, but even Staples has candy.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

bhtooefr

• Older than Moses
  • ⌘-⌥-⌃-N
« Reply #69 on: 14 Nov 2018, 03:38 »

Near Lurker: Every Walmart Supercenter (and every Neighborhood Market, but those don't have firearms, as they're just a grocery store), which is... approximately every Walmart anywhere near me.

Tai Fanboi

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • DeadWinter
« Reply #70 on: 14 Nov 2018, 04:55 »

With regards to the drug testing debate...  Well most companies will tell you it's about health and happy employees.  Most will say federal guidelines, company policy etc.  Basically when you boil it down, it's the same as anything.  Liability.  They don't want the bad PR, they don't want to have money come out of their pockets.  I'll use two very extreme, very fictional examples.  Company A, let's call it Schmoeing...  Schmoeing makes airplane parts for commercial and government contracts.  Little Timmy is blitzed on ghost pepper nitrous shots, or whatever the kids are doing now'a'days, and his cuts on ginglymus #3 are half an inch out of spec.  This results in a commercial airliner having a forced landing and an FAA investigation.  Now, if Schmoeing didn't do drug tests?  Senators and Congressmen would be on the news blaming their lack of principles and dragging them through the mud, jeopardizing the contracts and the entire company.  But since they do, now they increase scrutiny for awhile, random testing becomes mandatory for a few months, everything dies down when one of the Kardashians sneezes and pushes the story out of the news, and everything can go back to normal where it's truly a random screen, and/or the company can use it to try to trip up some problematic employee and fire them for policy violation and not have to pay them severance or unemployment. 

Company B.  Grandma's Groceries, HVAC system has a vent and a fan that blows over a warm plate of oatmeal cookies for the proper ambiance while shopping.  Billy has worked for Grandma for years, model employee.  Billy does like his Sweet Chowder though (Cocaine and Sour dough, drug soup out of Boston y'know) but he is responsible and doesn't do it at work.  However someone called out sick on Billy's day off and Grandma is in a bind so he wanted to help out.  He gets the shakes at work and while he's stocking a shelf full of surströmming his shakes knock over a can and it lands on some ladies head, now she's going to sue the whole company.  Grandma's now in trouble and her reputation is in the tank because her company hires no good, strung out hop heads and she doesn't test them all for the devils lettuce. 

Basically, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.  Most companies simply have it as another possible tool in their legal bag of tricks for when/if something ever happens.  This way blame can be shifted to the degenerate, drug using employee as opposed to the company itself. 
Oh god, I should've drunk more so I wouldn't remember that.

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #71 on: 14 Nov 2018, 06:38 »

...how many Wal-Marts even have produce?  To me, this is the sine qua non, with even a few convenience stores around me having onions, potatoes, and bananas, but not the local Wal-Mart, which doesn't have firearms, but if it did they'd most likely be between the mountain bikes and the fishing rods.  Wal-Mart's a department store, not a grocery store, or even anything in between.  Sure, they've got a few packaged foods, but even Staples has candy.

The Supercentres all have produce; they're pretty common here in Canada. But you don't buy guns in ours, to my knowledge.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #72 on: 14 Nov 2018, 07:01 »

The Supercentres all have produce; they're pretty common here in Canada. But you don't buy guns in ours, to my knowledge.

I honestly have not seen a non-supercenter Wal Mart in a lot of years. The same with K-mart, if you can find one of those still open. There was a time when they were just department stores, but these days if you find one it's probably an old legacy story that hasn't been scrapped in favor of a new supercenter yet. They want to make sure you buy as much as possible from them.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #73 on: 14 Nov 2018, 07:16 »

Much the same as... "Alcohol is legal, but if you drink it then try to drive a bus, you'll lose your job.", I would imagine?
Difference is, you only test positive for alcohol when you're actually drunk. Smoke up on a Friday evening after work, you can test positive even a couple of weeks later, even if you're cold sober when tested.
stePH
--

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #74 on: 14 Nov 2018, 07:43 »

So I'm still not clear on this... does Tai like to party?
stePH
--

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #75 on: 14 Nov 2018, 07:52 »

No, that's not the same at all! I never spoke about cannabis consumption at work. Traces of cannabis consumption can be detected in a blood sample months after last consumption, so it's a total ban for those who have drug tests for professional reasons.

Nepiophage

• FIGHT YOU
  • It/It’s
« Reply #76 on: 14 Nov 2018, 08:47 »

?
ed is a very very bad text editing program, long since superseded. Even vi is better. Anyone who really believed the above would be in serious need of psychiatric help.
Pintsize: It is hard to get a lady to evaluate to true.
The two laws of internet interaction.
1. Whatever you say someone will be offended.
2. Whoever you are, there is something to offend you.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #77 on: 14 Nov 2018, 10:33 »

?
ed is a very very bad text editing program, long since superseded. Even vi is better. Anyone who really believed the above would be in serious need of psychiatric help.

Of course. Nano is the true path to enlightenment.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Bollthorn

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #78 on: 14 Nov 2018, 12:08 »

Taisqueak is adorable ^-^
"Oh Eddie... Why are you an alcoholic?"

"... Because I drink a lot."

Roborat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #79 on: 14 Nov 2018, 12:09 »

There are at least three reasons. One is uniformity: if you test and fire fork-lift operators, you need to treat your software developers the same way. Just saying "Well, it won't matter" is both unfair and possibly untrue. You don't actually know what downstream consequences your policy might have. The second is liability mitigation: on-premise intoxication is closely associated with an increase in HR violations, ranging from misuse of company resources...like, you know, a fork-lift?...to increases in impermissible harassment. The third is information and physical security: if you are using a controlled substance incorrectly, then your risk of activities which impair site or information security rises due to impaired judgment.

All valid points, I agree with you, now that I think about it, I wasn't looking at big picture, just focusing on why some coder being high would be an issue.   However, there is one thing I am concerned about.  I agree with not being high at work, same as not being drunk or otherwise impaired at work, but the problem with random drug testing for marijuana is that it will pick up what you did a week ago, when you partook in your own free time on the weekend, even though you are completely free of any effects at work.  That needs to be refined so that false positives don't occur.

dutchrvl

« Reply #80 on: 14 Nov 2018, 13:22 »

I don't really have anything useful to share at the moment, but I was just reading the comic and then this thread (while at work, yes), decided to randomly check my phone, and it was.......4:20 pm......AAAHHH

dutchrvl

« Reply #81 on: 14 Nov 2018, 13:23 »

Also I am very curious where this is going. At the moment this storyline is not really doing much for me, but it has tons of potential to get really interesting really fast :)

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #82 on: 14 Nov 2018, 14:39 »

For all the predictions of where this is clearly going, I suspect it's going nowhere.

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #83 on: 14 Nov 2018, 15:14 »

It's going to love, and cookies.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #84 on: 14 Nov 2018, 15:21 »

Something else has to happen other than them getting high and enjoying themselves. Even if not immediately, later.

A small perverse otter

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Staying well enhydrated
« Reply #85 on: 14 Nov 2018, 16:02 »

?

Of course. Nano is the true path to enlightenment.
There is no editor. There is only Emacs.

And Visual Studio.
"AGH! Humans are so STUPID sometimes!" -- QC #3668

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #86 on: 14 Nov 2018, 16:25 »

Something else has to happen other than them getting high and enjoying themselves. Even if not immediately, later.
Conversation, even 5t0n3d conversation, can still move the story forward.
stePH
--

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #87 on: 14 Nov 2018, 16:59 »

One last comment on the drug testing debate: CDL drivers are actually mandated to have drug tests done annually.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #88 on: 14 Nov 2018, 17:17 »

Good point.

It's going to love, and cookies.

This.

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #89 on: 14 Nov 2018, 18:43 »

For those of you familiar with smoking, how quickly can the experience go from pleasant (like Claire's having now) to a panic attack (like Claire had last time)?
 I can see that being the next "conflict" (i think thats the wrong word) in the comic but im not really sure if trips that start positive can turn that quickly.
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

Toe

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #90 on: 14 Nov 2018, 20:24 »

Today's comic feels like a rip of this C&H comic, TBH:

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #91 on: 14 Nov 2018, 21:11 »

Well, today's comic certainly hasn't changed my mind. But since some of you undoubtedly bridle at the idea that this might be a story arc about nothing - apologies to Seinfeld - I've decided to indulge in my favourite self-indulgent story analysis activity, which is to shoehorn this recent arc into the Hero's Journey archetype. Perhaps by using this time-honoured technique, we can gain some real insight into where Jeph intends to go. This is serious business, so let's get started.

Order of points is slightly shuffled of course - that, too, is traditional.

1. Ordinary world. Claire is trying to study for her exams and is getting anxious.
2. Call to adventure. After multiple interruptions, Claire realises that she will be fine and should stop worrying. What to do now?
3. Refusal of the call. To Clinton's bemusement, Claire thinks to go back to the library, because libraries are fun!
4. Crossing the threshold. Claire decides to smoke up with her Mum. Or is it smoke out?
5. Meeting the mentor. Tai arrives to act as mentor on this new and exciting journey for Claire.
6. Tests, allies, enemies. Claire's first hit is bigger than intended. She begins to experience unfamiliar symptoms, but lucky for her, Tai is there to reassure her. To demonstrate the extent of Claire and Tai's bonding, they briefly exchange characteristics - Claire becomes fascinated with the word flong, and Tai wonders out loud about looking something up on JSTOR for fun.
7. Approach to innermost cave Claire is extremely flonged out, but is able to express her love for her Mum and for Tai, to Tai's delightr.

What now? Ordeal? Hopefully no anxiety.
The road back aka the Deflonging.
Resurrection: Claire still must face THE EXAM.
Return with the elixir: Claire's approach to these exams pays off with her earning top marks.

Copyright: me.

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #92 on: 14 Nov 2018, 22:39 »

For those of you familiar with smoking, how quickly can the experience go from pleasant (like Claire's having now) to a panic attack (like Claire had last time)?
 I can see that being the next "conflict" (i think thats the wrong word) in the comic but im not really sure if trips that start positive can turn that quickly.

It can turn on a dime, and depends a great deal on your own personal triggers and insecurities.  Also on changes in environment, which is why it's good to stay in a safe, comfortable space while toking, rather than to travel about. 

Running across a policeman in your travels can really change your levels of paranoia and panic! 

Oh, and commercial driver's drug testing includes marijuana for a very good reason - the same aspects of THC that cause the neato effects and time distortions can severely slow your reflexes, and the effect can last long past the "high", leaving drivers impaired on the road for several weeks after participating.  The stuff works its way out of your nervous system very slowly. 

Such testing is something that may not change even after legalization - alcohol is legal, but driving under the influence is not! 
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #93 on: 14 Nov 2018, 23:26 »

New comic up and it's something that was doubtless hilarious in Jeph's head but is neither funny to me nor even slightly comprehensible why it needed to be done.

All that aside, I do hope that Marten has a wheelbarrow because Claire is certainly not going to be walking home!
~~~~

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?
« Reply #94 on: 15 Nov 2018, 00:48 »

Obviously a moose shaped cookie would just be a cookie.

While a Moose made of cookies would be a multitude of cookies unified into a single living organism. A brain of jello cookies with coconut neural structure. A spinal column of chocolate cookies and pockys, cerebrospinal fluid of pure, ice cold milk. Chocolate, peanut butter and coconut no bake musculature surrounding a rich, delicious macadamia nut cookie skeletal structure. An entire organ system composed of pure confectionary goodness.

Shortbread cookie antlers.

helo

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #95 on: 15 Nov 2018, 04:21 »

I'm confused now. Weed doesn't normally cause hallucinations like this...
What has Jeph been smoking?
Was it just cannabis in that vape?

oddtail

« Reply #96 on: 15 Nov 2018, 04:39 »

I'm confused now. Weed doesn't normally cause hallucinations like this...
What has Jeph been smoking?
Was it just cannabis in that vape?

It's a common trope in fiction to include effects of other drugs in how marijuana's effects are presented. This may be the case here.

Alternatively, maybe they're just talking about the possibility, and the picture is not a hallucination, merely an illustration of the weird turn the conversation took. And talking about weird stuff is very much something that happens when you're on weed, I would say.

(I mean, it doesn't look that way, but it may be serious artistic liberties taken in the name of keeping the visual medium visual. Also, QC has been known to be more than a little surreal, so there is that.)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #97 on: 15 Nov 2018, 05:47 »

Yeah unless it's laced with something it would need to be very strong to induce hallucinations, and if it was making Tai hallucinate then Claire should be hunched over a toilet whiteying away everything she has eaten the past week. I suspect it's just a visual of what they were talking about.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #98 on: 15 Nov 2018, 06:16 »

There are hallucinations and then there are just wild imaginations set loose. I think that Claire is visualising the weird ideas that are running through her head. A cookie moose who is the Mayor of Cookieland! Why... Why weren't there ever any cartoons like that on TV when she was a kid?!?
~~~~

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #99 on: 15 Nov 2018, 06:36 »

Ordinarily, a cookie shaped like a moose would be a moose cookie, but that invites another mental image (see "road apples," "meadow muffins" and "mule fritters").

Unless Claire meant "cookie mousse," a tasty if impractial possibility, though an aspiring librarian is probably up on her spelling.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up