THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 20 Apr 2024, 02:00
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3891 - 3895 (10-14 December 2018)  (Read 20327 times)

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
Re: WCDT Strips 3891 - 3895 (10-14 December 2018)
« Reply #50 on: 12 Dec 2018, 11:38 »

Maybe Elliot wants someone that’s easier to work with than Renee. 

Since the Secret Bakery is supposed to mirror Coffee of Doom does that make Roko the Colette or Hannelore of this business?

artag

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #51 on: 12 Dec 2018, 12:16 »

Thankfully, they change them fairly often so I doubt the ones she kept are still valid.

They do ?

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/nuclear-missile-code-00000000-cold-war_n_4386784

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #52 on: 12 Dec 2018, 13:02 »

So ...assuming AIs get to "choose" a body and Bubbles appears to be a MILspec super duty fighting/military chassis that (assumedly) she got when she became a solider do we further assume they get to keep whatever hardware they had from the last job they performed?  You'd think the military might want that specialized hardware chassis back for re-use or just might not want it wandering around the civilian landscape.  They did take back Pintsize's death ray.
I don't have time to hunt through the archives right now, but I think Bubbles implied at some point that the military let her keep the assault chassis in return for her continued silence about any mismanagement of the program and in lieu of any actual therapy for her PTSD. Which is a pretty cruddy consolation prize if you ask me. I don't get the feeling that the military would be in the habit of letting retired AI soldiers keep all kinds of milspec gear. Although there was the one clerkbot Marigold and Momo met at the chassis store that claimed she still had the launch codes for the nuclear submarine she used to be.... not sure if she's a credible witness though.

Welcome, new person!

Another speculation is that it's like being allowed to keep your uniform when you muster out, an idea with the obvious weakness that any chassis which makes it possible to explode craters in brick walls is a weapon rather than a garment.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #53 on: 12 Dec 2018, 19:41 »

Elliot is Jane Bennet.

I am convinced.

Wombat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #54 on: 12 Dec 2018, 19:54 »

I KNEW BEEPATRICE WAS NONBINARY, YEAH BOI

Maybe, but I'd kind of assumed they were just using "they" because they were talking so abstractly.
They could be, but...it just seems like in panel 2, Basilisk is talking very directly about Beepatrice. It could also mean that the comments in the corners of these comics refer to Beepatrice specifically, which I actually think would make more sense. Since they could both be using the plural "they," though, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #55 on: 12 Dec 2018, 21:45 »

Thankfully, they change them fairly often so I doubt the ones she kept are still valid.

They do ?

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/nuclear-missile-code-00000000-cold-war_n_4386784
Well that's disturbing.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

badbum61

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • I'm going to eight, baby!
« Reply #56 on: 12 Dec 2018, 21:53 »

Since the Secret Bakery is supposed to mirror Coffee of Doom does that make Roko the Colette or Hannelore of this business?

The Emily? or does Brun already have that role tied up?
As lomg as she's not the Sara...
What the hell are YOU staring at?

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #57 on: 13 Dec 2018, 01:31 »

New Strip Up
There is so much of the cute in this strip that I'm not sure where to start. I think that the thing that really stands out for me is the fact that, in panel 4, Faye is gushing about her girlfriend. This is so sugary and sweet that I'm almost ready to burst! Roko is responding in a similar way that makes me wonder whether Jeph is giving us a clue as to in which direction her preferences may lie (whether or not she is fully aware of it yet) or if she's just a romantic under the gruff personality, much like Bubbles herself.

Poor Bubbles though! It must be hard after so long of walling herself off emotionally to have friends, let alone a woman who has fallen in love with her and is always willing to describe the experience (and who she herself is when not out in the public eye)!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #58 on: 13 Dec 2018, 06:57 »

That was adorbs. :D

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.
« Reply #59 on: 13 Dec 2018, 07:56 »

For five seconds I thought I finally knew a song reference Jeph was making in a comic title but no it's just about the fluid Faye was describing oh okay v.v
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

Meander

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #60 on: 13 Dec 2018, 08:29 »

... to the Star Trek fans who wonder the same thing about the Starfleet People Fax (aka the Transporter).

Remember that they wonder about this canonically, especially Dr McCoy, who despises the Transporter for that very reason.

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #61 on: 13 Dec 2018, 15:06 »

Roko is responding in a similar way that makes me wonder whether Jeph is giving us a clue as to in which direction her preferences may lie (whether or not she is fully aware of it yet) or if she's just a romantic under the gruff personality, much like Bubbles herself.

If her preferences lay in that direction, her first tea induced vision would not have looked like this.

SmilingCat

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • You is friend or food?
« Reply #62 on: 13 Dec 2018, 17:14 »

If her preferences lay in that direction, her first tea induced vision would not have looked like this.

Her vision probably still would have (this seems a trait associated with Assam tea) but she might not have been inclined to go back for a second look.

Or maybe she would. Bisexuals exist.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #63 on: 13 Dec 2018, 18:16 »

...waitaminit, I thot I remembered the sexy unicorn being in a guest strip. What strip am I actually thinking of, when Assam was mentioned and Roko asked if she could buy in bulk?
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

alc40

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #64 on: 13 Dec 2018, 18:49 »

...waitaminit, I thot I remembered the sexy unicorn being in a guest strip. What strip am I actually thinking of, when Assam was mentioned and Roko asked if she could buy in bulk?
That was Bubbles in a guest strip.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #65 on: 13 Dec 2018, 19:54 »

... to the Star Trek fans who wonder the same thing about the Starfleet People Fax (aka the Transporter).

Remember that they wonder about this canonically, especially Dr McCoy, who despises the Transporter for that very reason.

ee-yup.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #66 on: 14 Dec 2018, 01:21 »

New Commic Up!
I find myself genuinely wondering how long ago it was that Dora realised that her destiny was to be surrounded by rumbustious high school girls in the bodies of adult women? That said, if Faye wasn't all rough-and-tumble and dragging everyone else into it, she would question if she was actually dreaming!

Over on Patreon, some have chosen to view this incident as a shippy hint. I, for one, can't see that interpretation. We're just seeing Faye being Faye. In essence, it's just play.

One possibility: Roko has some savings and she gets Faye and Bubbles to fit her with milspec derma, because she wants skin as sensitive and capable as Bubbles has. This opens up the exploration of how synthetics, who can have extensive hardware changes that are fairly non-traumatic in nature, view major body modifications.
« Last Edit: 14 Dec 2018, 01:26 by BenRG »
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Tyr

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #67 on: 14 Dec 2018, 01:39 »

I maintain that Faye's behaviour here is a sort of friendship version cross between marking her territory and a mating display, much like when Faye grabbed Martin's nipple back in #13.
It is too late for you Roko. You're being inducted into The Circle.
Just going through life.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #68 on: 14 Dec 2018, 01:52 »

I haven't read or watched Azumanga Daioh for ages - I must rectify that.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #69 on: 14 Dec 2018, 02:36 »

It is too late for you Roko. You're being inducted into The Circle.

Now a part of the Criterion Collection.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Annemoon

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #70 on: 14 Dec 2018, 02:47 »

New Commic Up!
Over on Patreon, some have chosen to view this incident as a shippy hint. I, for one, can't see that interpretation. We're just seeing Faye being Faye. In essence, it's just play.

I hold a personal fondness for people who can still enjoy being weird and playfull after childhood.
This comic made me smile ^_^
"science fairy" - cybersmurf

ascdren

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #71 on: 14 Dec 2018, 03:48 »

This opens up the exploration of how synthetics, who can have extensive hardware changes that are fairly non-traumatic in nature, view major body modifications.

well I think roko would disagree about them being "non-traumatic"

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #72 on: 14 Dec 2018, 05:24 »

So is this Faye treating Roko like a new *friend* for no apparent reason?

Or is this another example of Faye's baffling 'impersonalisation' of AIs??

(Faaacceee meeaaattts!!!)
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #73 on: 14 Dec 2018, 05:47 »

Faye is lucky those AI don't go all "terminator" on her!
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

rtmq0227

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #74 on: 14 Dec 2018, 07:28 »

I read this more as Faye's perspective as an engineer getting in the way of her (somewhat limited) interpersonal skills.  It seems like she considers AI's bodies/chassis as "things" and their minds/intelligences "people."  It's likely driven by exactly how much she knows at this point about the inner workings of said chassis.  It seems similar to a surgeon's cavalier attitude toward discussing squicky topics regarding the human body, or any professional's tendency to lose any sense of awe regarding their profession.  I'm not sure if it's defensive (if she thought of AI's bodies as an extension of their person-hood, her job would seem much more harrowing) or simply apathy, but I don't believe she thinks it's impersonal to discuss or interact with AI forms in that way.

That said, consent is important, and she's violating all kinds of consent in the last couple strips.  I think introducing Roko, a character who we've seen is highly attached to her chassis and considers it as much a part of her as her matrix, to the group will be an important step for Faye to realize that she's being an ass about this sort of thing, and maybe she'll develop a bedside manner.
The best lore starts as an off-handed comment or joke.

gopher

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #75 on: 14 Dec 2018, 07:46 »

That said, consent is important, and she's violating all kinds of consent in the last couple strips.  I think introducing Roko, a character who we've seen is highly attached to her chassis and considers it as much a part of her as her matrix, to the group will be an important step for Faye to realize that she's being an ass about this sort of thing, and maybe she'll develop a bedside manner.

Giving Faye's history of punching first then not bothering to ask questions, this seams unlikely. She is as she is.

rtmq0227

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #76 on: 14 Dec 2018, 07:49 »

Giving Faye's history of punching first then not bothering to ask questions, this seams unlikely. She is as she is.

That's fair, though I feel like we've seen a decent amount of growth in her character (at least enough that I can still hope)
The best lore starts as an off-handed comment or joke.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #77 on: 14 Dec 2018, 09:12 »

Someone with archive-fu know when Faye last punched someone?
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

hakko504

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek
« Reply #78 on: 14 Dec 2018, 09:34 »

Someone with archive-fu know when Faye last punched someone?
3365 probably. Can't remember anyone after she left the underground fighting ring.
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #79 on: 14 Dec 2018, 09:42 »

That's probably the last punch she really delivered. I believe somewhat later, she starts a punch, when she realises her usual threats of violence don't work on Bubbles, and so, doesn't land it.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

dutchrvl

« Reply #80 on: 14 Dec 2018, 11:38 »

That's probably the last punch she really delivered. I believe somewhat later, she starts a punch, when she realises her usual threats of violence don't work on Bubbles, and so, doesn't land it.

The last time she held back on a punch was probably when she went to Marten to talk about her feelings for Bubbles, in #3735

Edit: The last time she delivered a punch crossing boundaries with friends was much longer time ago I think, probably before her hospitalization even(?) I'm not counting the punch of corpsewitch here, as that was a decidedly different situation then discussed above.

Roborat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #81 on: 14 Dec 2018, 12:50 »

My first thought, reading this page, is that I was getting a strong Azumanga Daioh vibe, and then I read the footer.  Anyway, I enjoyed the silliness here, it was amusing, and good to see Roko letting herself relax a bit, although I imagine any other customers watching this would have some questions about what was going on.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #82 on: 14 Dec 2018, 18:40 »

So are Momo's pigtails detachable, or is that only in one of Emily's weird daydreams?

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #83 on: 15 Dec 2018, 04:57 »

So are Momo's pigtails detachable, or is that only in one of Emily's weird daydreams?
Yes.
Specifically they are detachable within a radius of thirty feet from Emily and it’s probably best not to think too hard about why.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #84 on: 15 Dec 2018, 07:28 »

My first thought, reading this page, is that I was getting a strong Azumanga Daioh vibe, and then I read the footer.  .
Jeph has openly admitted in the past that AD is one of his biggest influences in QC.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #85 on: 15 Dec 2018, 08:46 »

So ...assuming AIs get to "choose" a body and Bubbles appears to be a MILspec super duty fighting/military chassis that (assumedly) she got when she became a solider do we further assume they get to keep whatever hardware they had from the last job they performed?  You'd think the military might want that specialized hardware chassis back for re-use or just might not want it wandering around the civilian landscape.  They did take back Pintsize's death ray.
My head canon is that, for entirely reasonable reasons, Bubbles’s chassis was more or less built around her once she enlisted and that even if she can move into another body, no other AI would be able to safely operate hers. Further, it might be configured such that leaving is also impractical–she is probably pre-core at least (the protected AI drives seem to be a recent innovation) and may Not have the right connections.
As such, once the programme was shut down, it makes sense that “we can’t remove her easily, we can’t kill her, mothball storage is expensive, and we’ll be like five hardware generations more advanced next time we try anyway, might as well just let her walk out” won the argument.

Much like the phrase “never attribute to malice where stupidity will suffice” there is a lesser-known companion: “never attribute to generosity where laziness will suffice” that frequently applies to militaries everywhere.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #86 on: 15 Dec 2018, 13:54 »

My head canon is that, for entirely reasonable reasons, Bubbles’s chassis was more or less built around her once she enlisted and that even if she can move into another body, no other AI would be able to safely operate hers. Further, it might be configured such that leaving is also impractical–she is probably pre-core at least (the protected AI drives seem to be a recent innovation) and may Not have the right connections.
As such, once the programme was shut down, it makes sense that “we can’t remove her easily, we can’t kill her, mothball storage is expensive, and we’ll be like five hardware generations more advanced next time we try anyway, might as well just let her walk out” won the argument.

Much like the phrase “never attribute to malice where stupidity will suffice” there is a lesser-known companion: “never attribute to generosity where laziness will suffice” that frequently applies to militaries everywhere.

Or her chassis is intentionally designed to be hard to access once an AI has uploaded into it, in order to minimize vulnerabilities against enemy takeover, or intelligence gathering should she be captured.
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #87 on: 15 Dec 2018, 14:02 »

Or the more simple way... There was no reason not to let her keep the body. Since the AI soldier program was shut down they had no use for it. Giving her a new body would have been an additional expense. She apparently has no built in weapons, she's just stronger and tougher than most humans, but not beyond other AI bodies we've seen walking around. So she can punch hard enough to chip part of a brick wall. I've known humans who are strong enough to do that. She couldn't hurt anyone any worse than a trained martial artist could, yet there was no call for Bruce Lee to surrender his body or anything similar.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #88 on: 15 Dec 2018, 16:59 »

Or the more simple way... There was no reason not to let her keep the body. Since the AI soldier program was shut down they had no use for it. Giving her a new body would have been an additional expense. She apparently has no built in weapons, she's just stronger and tougher than most humans, but not beyond other AI bodies we've seen walking around. So she can punch hard enough to chip part of a brick wall. I've known humans who are strong enough to do that. She couldn't hurt anyone any worse than a trained martial artist could, yet there was no call for Bruce Lee to surrender his body or anything similar.

Simple, concise, well-reasoned ... what the Hell do you think you're doing posting this in the WCDT?  :x
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Gyrre

« Reply #89 on: 17 Dec 2018, 17:29 »

I KNEW BEEPATRICE WAS NONBINARY, YEAH BOI

So does she use hexidecimal instead?  :claireface:
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #90 on: 17 Dec 2018, 17:35 »

Nonbinary would be analogue.  8-)
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #91 on: 17 Dec 2018, 18:31 »

There is such a thing as a ternary computer. The Soviets made some back in the 60s.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up