THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 02:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 3896-3900 (17-21 December 2018)  (Read 31437 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
WCDT 3896-3900 (17-21 December 2018)
« on: 16 Dec 2018, 17:16 »

More AI shenanigans world-building!
« Last Edit: 30 Dec 2018, 07:13 by jwhouk »
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
Re: WCDT 3896-3900 (17-21 December 2019)
« Reply #1 on: 16 Dec 2018, 19:55 »

I've decided my posts this week will all include Paul Simon lyrics. Some of them may even make sense, who knows. Disagreements? Work them out.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Whyareall

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #2 on: 16 Dec 2018, 23:29 »

What's up with the extremely late comic postings over the last week?

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #3 on: 16 Dec 2018, 23:32 »

Jeph is on vacation in France. The posting time is now linked to when he wakes up, which is about 8-10 hours later than it is when he's back home in Halifax.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #4 on: 17 Dec 2018, 00:36 »

Roko's starting to feel a bit voyeuristic...
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #5 on: 17 Dec 2018, 01:53 »

Welcome to another episode of Questionable Blushing. Poor Bubbles. It's outrageous, I can't stop thinking about the things I'm thinking of.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #6 on: 17 Dec 2018, 02:33 »

This is an interesting strip and addresses the issue raised by many readers about how much an AI, who, theoretically, can change chassis at a drop of a hat, could consider any body 'theirs'. It appears that it is psychosomatic, to a certain extent. If a synthetic regards a certain chassis as 'their body' as opposed to a shell in which they move around, then they have stronger reactions to its sensory input and have a genuine feeling that 'this is me'. This also greatly increases the degree to which their subconscious processes elaborate on sensory input, explaining how Roko's feet are hyper-sensitive and Bubbles has such a strong reaction to Faye touching her in various locations which, for a lack of a better term, we must consider 'erogenous zones'.

FWIW, I suspect that May is a good example of a non-integrated AI. Chassis failures on a scale that Roko would find traumatic to a disabling degree are just annoyances and inconveniences to her.

I assume that this phenomenon is recognised by The Powers That Be and strong laws exist in removing 'integrated' AIs from their chassis unless there is an overwhelming public safety argument.
~~~~

Meander

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #7 on: 17 Dec 2018, 02:48 »

Bodily integration is nice and all, but ... Bubbles + yoga pants. Daaaaaaaaang.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #8 on: 17 Dec 2018, 05:40 »

This is an interesting strip and addresses the issue raised by many readers about how much an AI, who, theoretically, can change chassis at a drop of a hat, could consider any body 'theirs'. It appears that it is psychosomatic, to a certain extent. If a synthetic regards a certain chassis as 'their body' as opposed to a shell in which they move around, then they have stronger reactions to its sensory input and have a genuine feeling that 'this is me'. This also greatly increases the degree to which their subconscious processes elaborate on sensory input, explaining how Roko's feet are hyper-sensitive and Bubbles has such a strong reaction to Faye touching her in various locations which, for a lack of a better term, we must consider 'erogenous zones'.

FWIW, I suspect that May is a good example of a non-integrated AI. Chassis failures on a scale that Roko would find traumatic to a disabling degree are just annoyances and inconveniences to her.

I assume that this phenomenon is recognised by The Powers That Be and strong laws exist in removing 'integrated' AIs from their chassis unless there is an overwhelming public safety argument.

All of which could be another reasoning in the 'why did the military let Bubbles keep her chassis when she was discharged' discussion. Faye seems to be implying her that she has a high degree of integration with this body. So those robo-psychologists Bubbles mentioned way back in the day might have recognized this and recommended that she be allowed to keep that chassis for the sake of her mental stability.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #9 on: 17 Dec 2018, 07:13 »

Poor Bubbles. Faye just loves teasing her too.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #10 on: 17 Dec 2018, 12:52 »

Jeph is on vacation in France. The posting time is now linked to when he wakes up, which is about 8-10 hours later than it is when he's back home in Halifax.

The Math with geography plus universal standard time does not add up.
Newfoundland UTC−03:30
France UTC+01:00
So normally their day starts earlier by 4.5 hours. Has Jeph changed his day/night cycle while in France? :psyduck:
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

dutchrvl

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #11 on: 17 Dec 2018, 13:03 »

The Math with geography plus universal standard time does not add up.
Newfoundland UTC−03:30
France UTC+01:00
So normally their day starts earlier by 4.5 hours. Has Jeph changed his day/night cycle while in France? :psyduck:

I think wat @BenRG meant is that normally JJ posts somewhere in the early evening (let's say 7 PM), but that, while in France, he posts when he wakes up there (let's say 8 AM). While the time difference is only 4.5 hours, the shift from evening to morning posting means the posts themselves appear about 8.5 hour later withmy example here (13 hours later posted for JJ - 4.5 hour time difference  = 8.5 hours later posted for us).

TheEvilDog

« Reply #12 on: 17 Dec 2018, 13:28 »

In other words, Jeph is sleeping.

notStanley

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #13 on: 17 Dec 2018, 13:47 »

...  May is a good example of a non-integrated AI. Chassis failures on a scale that Roko would find traumatic to a disabling degree are just annoyances and inconveniences to her ...

Poor May's history has not included a chassis to become familiar with?  We do not know anything prior to RobotJail, but there was not enough attachment then to get in the way of her desires for a jet.  And since, that Piece'O'Cr*p the system gave her at discharge has nothing to encourage her thinking of it as "me".

specter177

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #14 on: 17 Dec 2018, 13:49 »

I assume that this phenomenon is recognized by The Powers That Be and strong laws exist in removing 'integrated' AIs from their chassis unless there is an overwhelming public safety argument.

I wonder if tomorrow Faye will ask Bubbles why exactly the military let her keep such a high-tech chassis?

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #15 on: 17 Dec 2018, 15:55 »

Why deny the obvious child?
It's psychosomatic. Shut up.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #16 on: 17 Dec 2018, 17:50 »

May also may just not WANT to be in that body. At all. So it, in turn, kinda falls apart due to poor care.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #17 on: 17 Dec 2018, 18:07 »

Bodily integration is nice and all, but ... Bubbles + yoga pants. Daaaaaaaaang.

Surprised she can find some in her size.

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #18 on: 17 Dec 2018, 18:45 »

We know that AIs have libidos. ( an emergent phenomenon - not designed in ) So how are they able to satisfy their um, urges?

It appears that this depends on the sophistication of their chassis. Ranging from Bubbles to Roko to May. then there is pint-size   i'll stop now
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #19 on: 17 Dec 2018, 19:03 »

The answer, as it always is in the end, is bread.
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #20 on: 17 Dec 2018, 19:07 »

Well, AI to AI is more direct... Pintsize earlier on commented about dating other anthroPCs and their activities seemed mostly digital. When Jeremy and Seven got together they burned out several USB cables apparently. AI and Human physical intimacy seems to be more along the lines of what humans get up to together. Comments about Faye and Bubbles breaking their bed the first night they were together. And I believe that both May and Momo talked about extra add on devices for.... human-style gratification.

*tiptoes back out of the minefield*

A small perverse otter

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Staying well enhydrated
« Reply #21 on: 17 Dec 2018, 22:16 »

May also may just not WANT to be in that body. At all. So it, in turn, kinda falls apart due to poor care.

I don't think so. May's parole office was pretty clear that she was stuck with that chassis, and that he could do nothing about it. He also seemed to have seen this kind of problem before.

It sounds like chassis for AIs coming out of robot jail are less that acceptable rejects or leftovers.
"AGH! Humans are so STUPID sometimes!" -- QC #3668

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #22 on: 18 Dec 2018, 01:01 »

In other words, Jeph is sleeping.

Hopefully so.

He used to report/complain about "sleep madness" quite frequently back in the day - I don't think Jetlag & stress/disruption are doing anything for the stability of his circadian rhythm.

(Mild stressors like e.g. travelling to a conference are enough to discombobulate my inner timekeeper for a few days.)
« Last Edit: 18 Dec 2018, 01:06 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #23 on: 18 Dec 2018, 01:19 »

No comic today?
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

hakko504

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek
« Reply #24 on: 18 Dec 2018, 01:57 »

"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #25 on: 18 Dec 2018, 02:00 »

New Comic Up!

Poor Roko really isn't good with exposed anatomy, robotic or biological, is she? I think that this is the second time we've seen her crash due to psychological stress, poor girl!  :laugh:

I know this is over-analysing but The Bovine Collider's misadventure makes me furrow my brow in thought. I mean, any cow is a large, solid object and one with a lot of tensile strength. In order to literally explode a cow in the way she evidently did, she must have hit it with the force of a tractor-trailer going at a considerable rate of speed. Given her size and assuming she isn't built from depleted uranium, she must have been running at well over a hundred miles an hour to deliver that sort of energy. What was she doing?!?

So, what does everyone think? Is Roko just hanging out with Faye and Bubbles because she doesn't have anything better to do or is Jeph working us towards her getting a job at Union Robotics, maybe running the 'phones and appointment book or something?
~~~~

SpanielBear

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #26 on: 18 Dec 2018, 02:04 »

I don’t think their cash flow is up to hiring a new employee just yet. I think this is the start of a beautiful friendship.  :-)

Tyr

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #28 on: 18 Dec 2018, 02:12 »

I don't think so. May's parole office was pretty clear that she was stuck with that chassis, and that he could do nothing about it. He also seemed to have seen this kind of problem before.

It sounds like chassis for AIs coming out of robot jail are less that acceptable rejects or leftovers.
They're likely used and purchased in bulk by the State. Hence May's being out of warranty despite her being in it for less than a year.  The parole officer specified that HE wasn't authorized to pay for repair or replacement.
Just going through life.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #29 on: 18 Dec 2018, 02:24 »

New Comic Up!

Poor Roko really isn't good with exposed anatomy, robotic or biological, is she? I think that this is the second time we've seen her crash due to psychological stress, poor girl!  :laugh:

I know this is over-analysing but The Bovine Collider's misadventure makes me furrow my brow in thought. I mean, any cow is a large, solid object and one with a lot of tensile strength. In order to literally explode a cow in the way she evidently did, she must have hit it with the force of a tractor-trailer going at a considerable rate of speed. Given her size and assuming she isn't built from depleted uranium, she must have been running at well over a hundred miles an hour to deliver that sort of energy. What was she doing?!?

So, what does everyone think? Is Roko just hanging out with Faye and Bubbles because she doesn't have anything better to do or is Jeph working us towards her getting a job at Union Robotics, maybe running the 'phones and appointment book or something?

Roko seems to handle the sight of gore better than damaged robotics.  She would’ve been great at crime scenes. 

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #30 on: 18 Dec 2018, 03:37 »

Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #31 on: 18 Dec 2018, 03:44 »

Am I the only one who hears in his head a really loud, hollow and flat-toned metallic 'clank' as Roko hits the floor?
~~~~

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #32 on: 18 Dec 2018, 04:00 »

I'm wondering how a blood & gore splattered AI managed to saunter through the city without someone calling the police, SWAT and/or the national guard on her ...

"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #33 on: 18 Dec 2018, 04:03 »

Riding a motorbike at well over a hundred miles an hour?

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #34 on: 18 Dec 2018, 04:21 »

SPOILER: She is actually a fighter jet.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Tai Fanboi

• DeadWinter
« Reply #35 on: 18 Dec 2018, 04:26 »

:clairedoge:
Oh god, I should've drunk more so I wouldn't remember that.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #36 on: 18 Dec 2018, 06:17 »

SPOILER: She is actually a fighter jet.
Is she the pan-dimensional love child of starscream and pinkypie?  :psyduck:

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

dutchrvl

« Reply #37 on: 18 Dec 2018, 06:40 »

We know that AIs have libidos. ( an emergent phenomenon - not designed in ) So how are they able to satisfy their um, urges?

It appears that this depends on the sophistication of their chassis. Ranging from Bubbles to Roko to May. then there is pint-size   i'll stop now

It was kinda implied by JJ in #1658 that the libido was deliberately implemented. At least, that's how I interpret "No one is quite sure who decided it would be useful for artificial intelligences to possess libidos". Does not sound like it was an emergent phenom, but maybe a later comic backtracked on that statement a bit?

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #38 on: 18 Dec 2018, 07:06 »

It was kinda implied by JJ in #1658 that the libido was deliberately implemented. At least, that's how I interpret "No one is quite sure who decided it would be useful for artificial intelligences to possess libidos". Does not sound like it was an emergent phenom, but maybe a later comic backtracked on that statement a bit?

That statement could mean that experts were trying to work out who originated the 'libido' subroutine because they hadn't yet realised it was something that the AIs had decided for themselves. Was that the discovery that led them to admit that The Singularity had happened?
~~~~

pendrake

• Curry sauce
« Reply #39 on: 18 Dec 2018, 09:17 »

For comic #3897...

1. Did PunchBot (CPA) ever get his arm (& side) replaced (#3596)?   Otherwise I would say that arm is probably his, and hopefully this will not come back to bite the entrepreneur couple.

2. Robots in-recent...
 - a. Stabitha (Swordsmary)
 - b. Beepatrice
 - c. Cattle Destroyer
« Last Edit: 18 Dec 2018, 09:25 by pendrake »

dutchrvl

« Reply #40 on: 18 Dec 2018, 09:28 »

For comic #3897...

1. Did PunchBot (CPA) ever get his arm (& side) replaced?   Otherwise I would say that arm is probably his, and hopefully this will not come back to bite the entrepreneur couple.

2. Robots in-recent...
 - a. Stabitha (Swordsmary)
 - b. Beepatrice
 - c. Cattle Destroyer

Well, they could've had more customers out-of-comic, but even so I hardly believe them both not being able to keep track of the customers they have and what parts they have/will have for them.

I kinda assumed this arm was simply part of the leftover inventory from the robot fighting ring, but that they never were able to identify who this arm once belonged too (which could have dark implications about what happened to the arm's owner....but who knows what Corpsewitch was capable off anyway).

Roborat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #41 on: 18 Dec 2018, 12:03 »

Good lord, how fast was she going when she "bumped into" that poor cow.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #42 on: 18 Dec 2018, 13:06 »

Good lord, how fast was she going when she "bumped into" that poor cow.
Speed may not have been the issue if she was driving one of these brush cutters but with an open cab
(click to show/hide)

Inconsequential

« Reply #43 on: 18 Dec 2018, 13:34 »

Yes, perhaps the cow had suffered some other sort of trauma as a result of the "bump". Maybe startled the cow, who ran out into the road and got hit by a truck.

I also know that an expired cow sort of... inflates after a while. And a bump can lead to bystanders who look like this. But there are no stink lines and Faye isn't passing out from the stench (although even fresh cow guts smell pretty obnoxious), so that's probably not it.

And yeah, we're really, really overthinking this.

I mean, that's what we do here. We overthink.

I've sort of wondered how Roko can work as a cop when she faints at the sight of mechanical mayhem. A cop that passes out or starts puking at the sight of blood wouldn't last too long, so in a world with lots of AIs walking around and presumably getting into accidents and shenanigans, an AI cop who bluescreens at mangled synthetic body parts wouldn't be very useful.

Personally, I'm a giant fan of these world-building AI comics, spiced up with the occasional turbo-horndog Faye. Bubbles has created a monster...  :evil:

rtmq0227

« Reply #44 on: 18 Dec 2018, 14:30 »

As much as I love the paperclip joke, it does make me wonder about the context it would hold for AI

From an IT perspective, it would be something akin to smelling salts or a blow upside the head, you snap out of whatever infinite loop you're in but it's jarring, and you maybe don't remember a lot about what you were stuck on in the first place.

Would that kind of joke be offensive to the sort of highly-integrated AI that Roko represents?  Would it be seen as more therapeutic/refreshing than I'm thinking?  Is it highly taboo or viewed with a utilitarian lens?

This, of course, assumes that there is an actual "reset button" or equivalent for AI.  It is about as likely that this is Faye being flippant and making a "Robots are still computers, just bigger and prone to emotions" joke.

I suspect, as with most things, it depends on your audience.  Bubbles certainly didn't seem too fazed.
The best lore starts as an off-handed comment or joke.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #45 on: 18 Dec 2018, 15:48 »

So, I thought somewhat randomly that including Paul Simon lyrics in every post this week would be a great idea. Hey, think I, it's a slice of life comic. How hard could this be?

And then an AI mistakenly bumps into a cow, resulting in the apparent evisceration of the cow and a dislocated little finger.

Me: *the sound of silence*

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #46 on: 18 Dec 2018, 17:30 »

New Comic Up!

Running late for work?  :claireface:
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #47 on: 18 Dec 2018, 18:44 »

Somehow I find the idea that Roko fainted because of the dislocated finger rather than the gore to be an absolutely hilarious alternative punchline.

mercykills

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #48 on: 18 Dec 2018, 20:14 »

MOOderer!!!!!

Ehh...someone had to do it.

*folds arms* I regret nothing.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #49 on: 18 Dec 2018, 20:34 »

MOOderer!!!!!

Ehh...someone had to do it.

*folds arms* I regret nothing.

Not the livestock, George...
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up