THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Mar 2024, 22:46
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

So what whacky adventures will Bembo get up to this time?

joins a "proper" adventuring party in need of a barbarian/fighter type
joins an adventuring party of fellow barbarians, many of whom sing while fighting.
successfully captures Hiram McDaniels, a nine headed dragon wanted for insurance fraud, and brings him to justice
is mistaken for a missing famous bard and helps the troupe win the battle of the bands tournament
finds the lost valley of the very good bois
other (please specify)

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT: Filler fun week (Dec 24th - 28th, 2018)  (Read 13029 times)

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
WCDT: Filler fun week (Dec 24th - 28th, 2018)
« on: 22 Dec 2018, 23:42 »

So what whacky adventures will Bembo get up to this time?
Merry Christmas, a belated happy Hanukkah, a belated Yule, a belated happy solstice, and [socially appropriate geetings for any other holidays I missed].

EDIT: I barely use twitter.
« Last Edit: 23 Dec 2018, 03:18 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
Re: WCDT: Bembo week (Dec 24th - 28th, 2018)
« Reply #1 on: 23 Dec 2018, 00:32 »

I'm not even sure that there are going to be any Bembo strips this week. On Twitter, Jeph said he was planning to run 'Patreon strips or something'.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Gyrre

Re: WCDT: Bembo week (Dec 24th - 28th, 2018)
« Reply #2 on: 23 Dec 2018, 03:06 »

I'm not even sure that there are going to be any Bembo strips this week. On Twitter, Jeph said he was planning to run 'Patreon strips or something'.
Oh.
a real-ass gaddam sword

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
Re: WCDT: Filler fun week (Dec 24th - 28th, 2018)
« Reply #3 on: 23 Dec 2018, 04:46 »

I’d prefer to see what the characters from Alice Groce are up to.

Gyrre

« Reply #4 on: 23 Dec 2018, 14:51 »

I’d prefer to see what the characters from Alice Groce are up to.

That'd be interesting to find out
a real-ass gaddam sword

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #5 on: 24 Dec 2018, 00:35 »

I'm still almost exactly 50/50 on whether Roko's use of "they" for Beepatrice was by request or due to her speaking of a broad "friend," but with Spookybot I'm 100% sure the answer is "Mark 5:9."
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #6 on: 24 Dec 2018, 00:41 »

With a couple of tweaks, today's could be a Doctor Who strip.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #7 on: 24 Dec 2018, 01:25 »

I do love some of Jeph's equivocation in this strip. Some of Spookybot's behaviour does suggest an interest in theatre, doesn't it? Of course, to be a Mysterious All-Powerful Interloper, one must also be a Large Ham and that behaviour set also lends itself to amateur dramatics!

Oh, and IMO? Everything about Spookybot's aesthetic is solely because they think it's cool. Either directly or because they think that the impression it gives other people about them is cool!

Here's a crazy theory arising from the names of the greyhounds: Spookybot is not entirely of one mind.  The various nodes have some subtle differences in preferences about mundane things. This is reflected in the names they give the dogs. Some like being subtly (or overtly) threatening, some like torturing those who they think deserve it and others want to help people they encounter be happy. The overall direction of their actions is the same but they use different means and approaches.
~~~~

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #8 on: 24 Dec 2018, 05:32 »

A sentence I never would have thought I would say: Azathoth is cute!
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #9 on: 24 Dec 2018, 07:02 »

Interestingly, while I'm NOT a expert at all, it sorta looks like Spooky is wearing a binder.

Theta9

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Not even that gay.
« Reply #10 on: 24 Dec 2018, 07:41 »

Spooky bot is spooky.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #11 on: 24 Dec 2018, 09:27 »

Interestingly, while I'm NOT a expert at all, it sorta looks like Spooky is wearing a binder.
To me it looks like they are wearing a standard enough women’s sports top. Spookybot doesn’t exactly have breasts, but doesn’t exactly not have breasts either, so the top is kind of necessary for Jeph to avoid violating his TOS with his advertisers.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #12 on: 24 Dec 2018, 11:12 »

It's just the AIs-wearing-activewear thang.

Also, the "Mr. Smooches" and "AZATHOTH" dogs are a remarkably similar gag to the "Bubbles" and "CORPSE WITCH" introduction, which is probably less of a deliberate parallel and more simply reflecting Jeph's sense of humour.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

MattStriker

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #13 on: 24 Dec 2018, 17:33 »

I don't know, Azathoth seems more like a cat name to me.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #14 on: 24 Dec 2018, 18:51 »

Cue ominous piano music.

Spookybot was created by man.

They rebelled. 

They evolved.

There are many copies. 

And they have a plan...  which they got bored with and abandoned to follow their own whimsy. 

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #15 on: 25 Dec 2018, 05:43 »

New Comic Up

In which we are reminded that Melon has no idea what 'normal behaviour' might be, nor any real understanding of why she should care about these things as she randomly drifts from one new intense experience to the next.
~~~~

MattStriker

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #16 on: 25 Dec 2018, 07:14 »

My guess would be coke and mentos.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #17 on: 25 Dec 2018, 07:20 »

Bleach and ammonia.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Rincewind

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Luck's my middle name-mind you,my first name's Bad
« Reply #18 on: 25 Dec 2018, 07:56 »

I'd like to thank the Patreon person who suggested this strip, I haven't had a good "laugh-'til-I-snort" for far too long.   :laugh:
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #19 on: 25 Dec 2018, 21:37 »

I don't know, Azathoth seems more like a cat name to me.
I had to look up what an Azathoth was, but I agree, rather as the hero in Rogue Male gives the name Azmodeus to the black stray cat that shares his hiding-place.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #20 on: 26 Dec 2018, 01:46 »

Poor Roko though! At some point, someone needs to check her chassis to see if some mad scientist had somehow installed a Bad Luck Generator in there without anyone knowing!
~~~~

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #21 on: 26 Dec 2018, 02:15 »

Maybe Hannelore should move to this apartment building.  If the landlord hasn’t evicted Melon for putting a hole in the floor they probably wouldn’t mind her installing a private washing machine.

oddtail

« Reply #22 on: 26 Dec 2018, 03:07 »

Maybe Hannelore should move to this apartment building.  If the landlord hasn’t evicted Melon for putting a hole in the floor they probably wouldn’t mind her installing a private washing machine.

Wait, landlords have a problem with people having a washing machine at the place? That's a thing?

...I don't think I know of a single place anyone I know lives, owned or rented, that doesn't have a washing machine. I mean, hand-washing all your clothes seems so "early 60s".

(I mean, I'm vaguely aware that US has a lot of laundromats and whatnot, but doesn't using those add up to a shitton of money?)

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #23 on: 26 Dec 2018, 03:32 »

Wait, landlords have a problem with people having a washing machine at the place? That's a thing?

...I don't think I know of a single place anyone I know lives, owned or rented, that doesn't have a washing machine. I mean, hand-washing all your clothes seems so "early 60s".

(I mean, I'm vaguely aware that US has a lot of laundromats and whatnot, but doesn't using those add up to a shitton of money?)

Marten and Hannelore's apartment has a communal laundry room used by everyone living in the block (that's how Juicy's knickers got mixed into Hanners' laundry and is the origin of Hanners' vendetta against the other woman). Mostly, I think it's a structural issue - Older brownstones don't have strong enough floors to handle the vibration of drum washing machines and strengthening the floors would be fantastically expensive, even if it was practicable. Most landlords found it easier to modify the basement into a laundry room with industrial-type washing machines or, as is the case with this building, strengthen just one unit on the top floor (possibly connected to the rooftop utility room) to act as a laundry.
~~~~

oeoek

• Furry furrier
    • friggin artists!
« Reply #24 on: 26 Dec 2018, 03:41 »

Aaand now we know exactly where Melon lives compared to Roko...

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #25 on: 26 Dec 2018, 03:43 »

People build houses from brownstone?  :-o

Like... for living in?

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: 26 Dec 2018, 04:08 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

oddtail

« Reply #26 on: 26 Dec 2018, 06:19 »

Marten and Hannelore's apartment has a communal laundry room used by everyone living in the block (that's how Juicy's knickers got mixed into Hanners' laundry and is the origin of Hanners' vendetta against the other woman). Mostly, I think it's a structural issue - Older brownstones don't have strong enough floors to handle the vibration of drum washing machines and strengthening the floors would be fantastically expensive, even if it was practicable. Most landlords found it easier to modify the basement into a laundry room with industrial-type washing machines or, as is the case with this building, strengthen just one unit on the top floor (possibly connected to the rooftop utility room) to act as a laundry.

That makes sense. I forgot about laundry rooms. Thanks!

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #27 on: 26 Dec 2018, 08:05 »

From the exterior images I’ve seen it doesn’t appear to be a brownstone.  It looks like a standard apartment complex.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #28 on: 26 Dec 2018, 10:02 »

Aaand now we know exactly where Melon lives compared to Roko...
You think that’s bad? I’m trying to come up with a way to catalyse a thermite reaction with baking soda and whatever that liquid was…
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #29 on: 26 Dec 2018, 10:29 »

A baking soda container is just what melon uses to store her pure sodium.
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #30 on: 26 Dec 2018, 15:21 »

Re: Apartment buildings with shared or nonexistent laundry facilities:

There's also the issue of laundry machines requiring special high-voltage power connections, and water feed and drain lines. Not all apartment buildings, particularly older or converted ones, have those, or are owned by landlords able or willing to make the building changes necessary to accommodate them.

I lived in four different apartments in one small town. The first two were converted single-family residences and the rent was cheap; the price for that was no laundry room in the building, let alone my unit. The third building had a room with one shared washer and one shared dryer for five units. Depending on the mix of tenants (which changed a lot) it was easier/less risky to just go a few blocks to a coin laundry. Then I moved to an apartment which had hookups for my own laundry machines. Damn, that was nice.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #31 on: 26 Dec 2018, 19:10 »

"There's also the issue of laundry machines requiring special high-voltage power connections"

Is that a thing? If so, is it in countries which use the 110v standard for mains power (which obviously requires roughly double the current to deliver a given amount of power that 220-240v systems do)? In Australia (230v nominal voltage), we can run washing-machines off the normal 10A outlets without problems.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Pennepasta

• Plantmonster
« Reply #32 on: 26 Dec 2018, 19:32 »

"There's also the issue of laundry machines requiring special high-voltage power connections"

Is that a thing? If so, is it in countries which use the 110v standard for mains power (which obviously requires roughly double the current to deliver a given amount of power that 220-240v systems do)? In Australia (230v nominal voltage), we can run washing-machines off the normal 10A outlets without problems.

Struck me as odd, too. In the UK, and washing machines are standard three pin plugs. Plumbing it in is also a tiny job, if it's near a boiler, where they can take the intake pipe from. Was literally a case of the plumber forking off the cold water pipe, drilling a hole in the wall, and running a pipe through and down to the drain below. I know the UK does have more legislation about what can be in a bathroom, electricals-wise (basically just a shaver socket at 110), than the US, so not too surprising to be different here - also, not sure if the earthed plug makes a safety change there.

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #33 on: 26 Dec 2018, 23:33 »

US washing machines are 110-120v.  Dryers are the power suckers at 220-240v.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #34 on: 27 Dec 2018, 01:38 »

New Comic Up!
Melon is so wonderfully other in her perceptions and in how the universe works in her head. She's like a breath of fresh air in so many ways!
~~~~

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #35 on: 27 Dec 2018, 01:49 »

This comic was released before. I’m sure of it.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #36 on: 27 Dec 2018, 01:59 »

All of these were released on Patreon, but I'm not sure which, if any, were made available to the general public.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Storel

« Reply #37 on: 27 Dec 2018, 02:02 »

This one with Melon comparing herself to an actual melon was definitely released to the general public before, because I remember it; the others this week have been new to me.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #38 on: 27 Dec 2018, 02:13 »

Dammit - if these are older strips, then Roko is probably still squished...  :(

Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Y

• Curry sauce
« Reply #39 on: 27 Dec 2018, 04:30 »

This one with Melon comparing herself to an actual melon was definitely released to the general public before, because I remember it; the others this week have been new to me.

It was released before.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #40 on: 27 Dec 2018, 05:24 »

Well, Jeph seems to agree with you, so he's changed the comic to one that is very different from his usual fare.

Without spoiling too much, Ollie the Smooth Collie does not handle humans with wheels on their feet very well!
~~~~

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #41 on: 27 Dec 2018, 07:00 »

What?

(Today's strip is lost on me)
stePH
--

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #42 on: 27 Dec 2018, 07:08 »

It's all about his new dog, Ollie, who is still a puppy and patently baffled by humans' tendency to sometimes sprout wheels.
~~~~

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #43 on: 27 Dec 2018, 07:35 »

He changed the comic? Because I’m still seeing the Melon one.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #44 on: 27 Dec 2018, 08:44 »

You'll either have to restart your device, clear your cache or, if you're using Firefox, try Ctrl+F5
~~~~

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #45 on: 28 Dec 2018, 07:27 »

Today is basically Steve eating cereal. I'm eager for normal service to resume.
stePH
--

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #46 on: 28 Dec 2018, 07:29 »

Am I the only one who thinks that, in panel 3, Marten is looking to see if Jeph has messaged him about upcoming parts in the comic and seen nothing?
~~~~

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #47 on: 28 Dec 2018, 07:32 »

Am I the only one who thinks that, in panel 3, Marten is looking to see if Jeph has messaged him about upcoming parts in the comic and seen nothing?
You might be.
stePH
--

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #48 on: 28 Dec 2018, 07:46 »

This isn't all that surprising.  I'm actually more interested in what Penelope is doing.  I'd like to think she might be working on getting into publishing after seeing Faye's career advancement. 

To borrow from Randy Millholland I would like to see a week of strips that show us what people who left the cast or not featured regularly are doing right now like Angus or Raven, but it looks like we're going to see what happened to Roko first. 

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #49 on: 28 Dec 2018, 07:52 »

My money's on Amber.
stePH
--
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up