THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 10:52
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: To the New Year  (Read 8238 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
Re: To the New Year
« Reply #1 on: 31 Dec 2018, 23:05 »

Happy New Year!
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #2 on: 01 Jan 2019, 01:56 »

Happy New Year; may  bring you all you need, and the best of your wishes.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #3 on: 01 Jan 2019, 13:45 »

Frohes. Neues!  :lol:
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: 01 Jan 2019, 16:13 »

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #5 on: 01 Jan 2019, 16:25 »

Happy new year!

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #6 on: 03 Jan 2019, 01:54 »

A Guid New Year tae Ain and A'!

Lang May Yer Collective Lums Reek!

Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #7 on: 04 Jan 2019, 20:49 »

In past years, my habit has been to make new years resolutions that are, to be honest, pretty basic.  I have been successful, for example in 2018, in "getting enough to eat, continuing to breathe, avoiding being eaten, and staying out from under moving vehicles.'  Such things are, I suppose, better classed as 'continuing resolutions', in that if you intend to continue, you ought to resolve to follow them as part of your general policy.

This year, I feel that I ought to commit myself to something more.  Something that, for example, has not already been part of my daily activities.  But I'm not feeling particularly inspired as to exactly what it ought to be.  'coming up with a new years resolution by the end of January' sort of feels like cheating though. Merely adopting it as a resolution would fulfill it, which is amusing but makes it even less significant than my usual 'basic' resolutions.

Another solar year.  What can I reasonably expect to accomplish, but whose accomplishment is neither too insignificant to matter much, nor too basic to survive without?  Hmmm.  Still thinking about it. 

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #8 on: 07 Jan 2019, 01:32 »

In past years, my habit has been to make new years resolutions that are, to be honest, pretty basic...

This year, I feel that I ought to commit myself to something more...

Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #9 on: 09 Jan 2019, 12:54 »

Dad always used to say every year that he once "resolved never again to make a new years' resolution." And he did stick with it.

I've now come to the conclusion that the problem with New Years' resolutions is that it's such an arbitrary thing to make one up just because the calendar ticks over, and so it's unlikely you'll have the resolve to stick with it.

If I already have a goal, then I will resolve to complete some concrete step towards it. Otherwise, I'm happy to let the day sail past and resolve nothing until I have a goal and an intrinsic motivation to achieve it.

Oh and it's a bit late, but happy new year, lovely people.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #10 on: 09 Jan 2019, 14:48 »

I'm not much for resolutions either, but this year I like the idea of giving 2019 a theme. Last year was meant to be the year of Getting Shit Done. In some ways it was, but not a lot. This year I'm trying to make the year of Creativity, in whatever form I can do it.

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #11 on: 16 Jan 2019, 13:56 »

I'm making it my resolution for 2018 to absolutely refuse to tolerate soft-headed anti-science bullshit.  I will not allow mere fatigue, or the kind of disrespect that just gets tired of people and doesn't care what they think, or even a noble desire to have peaceful relations with someone when they are being foolish, to compel me to be quiet when folks are spouting nonsense.

People who believe and promote bullshit are more than troublesome or stubborn or even comic individuals.   They have  become a horrible blight on our culture and civilization actively being both exploited and cultivated by powerful interests inimical to our own.

They are being used against us.

Their presence in large numbers threatens each of us, personally, with a catastrophic future on a bespoiled and war-torn planet.  And even if we despise the prospect of talking with them, we must talk about the bullshit and we must not allow bullshit to be spread unchallenged in our presence.

So....  That's my new year's resolution.

Wish me luck.  It will require speaking in social situations.  I'm not so good at that.  Maybe It'll prompt me to cultivate a needed skill.

Welu

• Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
« Reply #12 on: 21 Jan 2019, 14:51 »

I had my first ever vocal lesson tonight. It felt really productive and the instructor is lovely. Gotta pick a song to learn now.
Pages: [1]   Go Up