- 4 (22.2%)
no
- 9 (50%)
maybe
- 5 (27.8%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: 31 Jan 2019, 13:19

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Robot themed comic  (Read 5974 times)

Cheetaur

• Plantmonster
Robot themed comic
« on: 01 Jan 2019, 13:19 »

Update 2

I would just like to thank all who voted and commented in my poll it was very enlightening as to what people had to say. Thanks everyone, stay well.

Update: Clarification of sorts
What I am suggesting is something Jeph might consider doing like he did with Alice Grove but this comic would exist within the QC universe but be aimed more with the AI situations that Jeph is bringing to forefront.  Example AI rights and privileges and how they react around each other and humans. Also the human side of living with AI's. Its an interesting concept that has grown a life of its own in QC and I thought perhaps it deserves its own outlet. (Hope that helps define things more.)

Since as of late the focus of QC has be AI robots perhaps a comic just about them is in order? Please vote and lets see if that is perhaps true.
« Last Edit: 12 Feb 2019, 14:11 by Cheetaur »

specter177

• Balloon animal serial killer
Re: Robot themed comic
« Reply #1 on: 01 Jan 2019, 19:09 »

Wasn't that what Alice Grove was?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #2 on: 01 Jan 2019, 21:05 »

Hmm!

There are so many unanswered questions about the robots that I'm tempted to want a strip to explore those full time.

Their relations with squishies are a significant part of their lives, so it would be a strip with organic characters in it, but they could be secondary.

It would be fun to see an AI's life from crčche to adulthood.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Pennepasta

• Plantmonster
« Reply #3 on: 02 Jan 2019, 04:56 »

Nah, an interaction between the humans and AI is interesting and a purely AI themed comic would lose that. QC has always changed the focus occasionally; it'll be back to others eventually, though some no-bots are involved with the AIs anyway :)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #4 on: 02 Jan 2019, 10:04 »

I could see a Roko-centered spinoff or a completely new setting which mixes robots from all walks of life, even more so than we have seen.

Maybe with the extra time and screen space Jeph could portray their differences from organics. Right now the synthetics are so much like plastic-skinned Homo sapiens that we're missing opportunities.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #5 on: 02 Jan 2019, 10:44 »

Hey, but didn't we already have a 100% AI cast comic in the past?
Something to do with being bored and solar power generation of some sort.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #6 on: 02 Jan 2019, 14:54 »

Freefall is largely about AIs, both as robots and bio-engineered animals (a wolf being one of the main characters).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #7 on: 02 Jan 2019, 15:41 »

Maybe with the extra time and screen space Jeph could portray their differences from organics. Right now the synthetics are so much like plastic-skinned Homo sapiens that we're missing opportunities.

I think that Jeph has ample opportunity in QC to portray differences between AIs and organics -- if he really wants to.

People have clamoured for this for some time. I doubt Jeph is interested.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Theta9

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Not even that gay.
« Reply #8 on: 03 Jan 2019, 07:40 »

Since as of late the focus of QC has be AI robots perhaps a comic just about them is in order?
That's a good idea. You should do that.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #9 on: 03 Jan 2019, 12:08 »

Not with Jeph's characters, OP shouldn't.

Jeph could justify a robot-themed comic if he wanted just on the grounds that many of his most interesting characters are robots.

The case against is that it's the interactions between protein people and silicon people that are the most interesting thing to read about.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #10 on: 03 Jan 2019, 13:01 »

Not with Jeph's characters, OP shouldn't.
I meant make a robot comic. Obvi, Jeph's characters are his own and should be off limits.

I'm just echoing Beefy's sentiment when people suggest things he should write about; his response amounts to "write it yourself."
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #11 on: 09 Jan 2019, 17:31 »

Is a supplimentary comic that occurs in the QC-verse what's being suggested?
Maybe something sort of amongst the lines of Skin Horse and Narbonic?

<mod>Fixed the links by removing the " quote marks which break them in this forum software</mod>
« Last Edit: 10 Jan 2019, 02:47 by pwhodges »
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #12 on: 10 Jan 2019, 04:17 »

I would argue that QC is already changing into a comic mostly about AI, their nature, culture and their role in the in-universe society. So, no, I don't think a spin-off comic is necessary.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #13 on: 11 Jan 2019, 09:17 »

"Always leave them wanting more" is the old show business adage, and maybe that applies to Jeph's portrayal of the robots.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #14 on: 11 Jan 2019, 10:39 »

Jeph tried concurrently writing another comic.  It didn't end all that well.  Where he wants to pour out his creative juices is strictly his business.  Jeph "should" begin another strip only if he damned well wants to and thinks it won't detract from his main investment, QC.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #15 on: 11 Jan 2019, 17:15 »

Preface: this is a tangent, inapplicable to QC and Jeph.

I don't understand why people are so in love with spin-offs when they, more often than not, are unapologetic cash grabs.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #16 on: 12 Jan 2019, 01:02 »

IMO, spin-offs are okay if they stand on their own artistic or narrative merits. IMO, at least, Star Trek Deep Space Nine is a good example of this.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #17 on: 12 Jan 2019, 02:27 »

Yes, I agree. I've been watching Wellington Paranormal, which really works in its own right.

I just can't get excited at the prospect of a spin-off unless I can be convinced that it will indeed stand on its own merits. And the thing about demanding requesting a spin-off (as the OP has done here) is that creating a spin-off because fans demanded it in response does not qualify in that regard.
« Last Edit: 12 Jan 2019, 15:39 by Tova »

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #18 on: 12 Jan 2019, 11:21 »

"Demanding"?

Cheetaur opened with the word "suggesting" and polled others for opinions.

My latest swing of opinion is that my craving for more exploration of the life of the AIs is best met in the current comic watching them interact with the organic characters we know so well.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #19 on: 12 Jan 2019, 15:41 »

Apologies, that was badly worded.

What I'm trying to say is that it will work best if the author has an intrinsic motivation, rather than an extrinsic one.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #20 on: 13 Jan 2019, 07:28 »

That makes sense.

If Jeph is intrinsically motivated to start a separate comic with robots in the foreground and organics as the outsiders, I'll read it faithfully.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

kiss-o-kill

• Plantmonster
« Reply #21 on: 24 Jan 2019, 21:25 »

Yes, though not because I want to read it.

QC is an almost completely different comic than it once was, which really makes me wonder why* it never just ended at a certain point and freed up time and energy for Jeph to write something on his current interests. Because the lives of most of his long-running human characters is very obviously not filed under that.

* Not actually, it's obviously because of how much revenue QC generates and how stopping it to do something else would be a gamble. Which I respect, you gotta do what you gotta do to keep food on the table, but... eh.
yeah um no

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #22 on: 25 Jan 2019, 12:55 »

QC isn't the first comic or other pop culture creation to change over time. That isn't even rare.
I see no reason for the artist to be obligated to scrap a property and start another because the subject matter changes. Corollary to that, of course, is there's no obligation on the part of anyone to read anything.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.
Pages: [1]   Go Up