THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:43
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

So what is Roko's new chassis going to be like?

Pretentious like a Porsche.
- 9 (28.1%)
Big Badonkadonk like a Kardashian.
- 4 (12.5%)
Pigtails (and her other accoutrements) like Momo.
- 2 (6.3%)
Attitude and glitches like May.
- 2 (6.3%)
HAH! She looks like Lemon!
- 3 (9.4%)
Worse - she looks like PINTSIZE.
- 0 (0%)
That dream of being a toaster is FINALLY REALIZED!
- 4 (12.5%)
Purple Monkey Dishwasher!
- 8 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 7-11 January 2019 (3911-3915)  (Read 48436 times)

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
Re: WCDT 7-11 January 2019 (3911-3915)
« Reply #50 on: 08 Jan 2019, 04:34 »

On the other hand, I think the point Case tried to make was also that there is not necessarily one central conflict in QC, or overarching plot. Which is probably true. We don't need to hold onto the story as it started, as that's ended; we're still in its continuity, but the story has gone elsewhere.

"Yeah, what Cornelius said."  :-D

I think that this throughline has in fact set up an expectation among the QC audience that there will be dramatic arcs within the overall setting of the daily slice of life. And I get the impression occasionally that one is being set up. Often, I don't comment on this when it appears to be magically resolved because it is always possible that Jeph is playing the long game. He certainly did that with the slow burn of the Marten/Dora relationship, where they would 'talk it out' periodically and it would kind of appear that the issue was resolved, but of course it was not. And while Jeph has resolved the external conflict of that story, the internal ones largely remain.

True. Then again, such is life. People leave things unsaid, and then the chance to say them is gone, conflicts never get resolved etc. Don't get me wrong - I hated Lost for pretty much that reason. But that's not the expectation I have when I engage with QC. Maybe it's really just that: I'm willing to tolerate more lose ends, unresolved conflicts etc. than some other folk, because that is congruent with my experience of (un-sliced) life.

I think in the case of the current storyline, people have begun to expect - as I guess you've seen - that Jeph is preparing to tell a story that is a metaphor of the experience of gender dysphoria. I know at least a couple of people expressed a hope for something along those lines. The most recent comic appears to suggest that, in spite of somewhat slipshod counselling, this may not happen after all - that, to paraphrase Lemon, she will simply be fine. And HEY LOOK THERE IS A NEW COMIC it also does look as though the changes to her new body are pretty minor. I am still holding out hope that the story might still follow through with its promise. In the words of Roko, maybe we just need to give the comic a moment here.

Actually, I think it was just one poster who expected/hoped for a gender-dysphoria metaphor: Yours truly. (ZoeB was kind of ambivalent, iiirc)  :-D

Otherwise, nothing to add, except maybe one wild idea:

I have a hunch that our perception of the comic is warped because we're not reading it the way it's 'supposed' to be read. We come here, more or less daily, read one comic, and then bicker and deconstruct that one comic for a whole day.

That's not the way you read the comic when you first discovered it, was it? Many people's first post in the introduction-thread is something like "Hi! *pant* I just finished binge-reading from start to 3271 and BOY! And there's a forum, too! Shiny! Hi guys!" That's pretty much how was for me - four days of gleeful binge-reading, and ever since ... time ... has ... slowed ... down ...

And people who buy the books don't read the comic in that page-by-page-overanalysing-for-a-day style, either.

We're perceiving the comic in a sort of bullet-time. And we use that 'extra time' to come up with endless speculations (and expectations) of how the plot might continue - some have even made a sport out of predicting the next comic. That's not how you'd read the thing if you'd read it from start to current comic - you wouldn't have the time to speculate so much.

Maybe the intensity of the "frustration of expectations (purportedly set up by Jeph)" is, to some degree, owed to us having too much time to think about what to expect next.
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #51 on: 08 Jan 2019, 06:03 »

...was Crushbot's insurance that generous, or did she just make a really bad decision for an unemployed former cop?

...hell, since it was implied she got a flat payout, even if it was that generous, she just made a really bad decision for an unemployed former cop.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #52 on: 08 Jan 2019, 06:12 »

...was Crushbot's insurance that generous, or did she just make a really bad decision for an unemployed former cop?

It's implied that, Crushbot's insurance was that generous. Lemon's only caveat was that most tech blogs reported that the Philomena-G wasn't worth the extra $20k but Roko felt that a near-death experience left her deserving the very best model and a butt tattoo.

I doubt that Jeph will ever let us know what it is but I'm hoping that the logo is something utterly ridiculous like a winking double-thumbs up with tongue poking out emoji or something similar.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #53 on: 08 Jan 2019, 06:24 »

Well, call me weird or whatever but if I had the opportunity to get the same (or almost the same) body after a devastating accident, I would totally wanna keep at least a part of my former body just out of morbid curiosity. Talk about a conversation starter!

hakko504

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek
« Reply #54 on: 08 Jan 2019, 07:09 »

...hell, since it was implied she got a flat payout, even if it was that generous, she just made a really bad decision for an unemployed former cop.
Now, on the other hand, how much money does she need? Rent, electricity, water, internet. No food. Well, except bread for 'the birds'. Her salary as a part of the policeforce should have enabled her to save some money each month. Even assuming that she hasn't been a cop more than a year or two, she should be OK for a few months at least, maybe as much as a year or two depending on salary and rent. I think she sees this as her last big spending point before a longer time of being careful with money, and while the money she added for the model G could have kept her alive for a couple of months extra, she's not worse off now than she was before the accident, and in a newer body.

Speaking of rent: If many AIs have their own apartment now, shouldn't that cause a shortage of homes? We've seen both Roko and Melon&Arthur have their own places. What about all the others that have frequented Union Robotics? Some of course co-habit with humans, like Momo, May, Bubbles & Winslow with human sized bodies, and AFAIK all small bodied AIs like Pintsize. How many AIs exist in this universe anyway? How many humans?
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

Cheetaur

• Plantmonster
« Reply #55 on: 08 Jan 2019, 07:11 »

I'm glad Roko is back in the real world, being a spirit must have felt odd.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #56 on: 08 Jan 2019, 07:16 »

Well, call me weird or whatever but if I had the opportunity to get the same (or almost the same) body after a devastating accident, I would totally wanna keep at least a part of my former body just out of morbid curiosity. Talk about a conversation starter!

You might, but Roko fainted when she was shown her damaged foot after it was removed.  She might go catatonic if she saw her crushed skull. 

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #57 on: 08 Jan 2019, 11:39 »

Maybe the intensity of the "frustration of expectations (purportedly set up by Jeph)" is, to some degree, owed to us having too much time to think about what to expect next.

Yes, I think that is very likely.

Thanks for all that. The only things I want to clarify are that: I, too, am fine with loose ends in a story. I also don't expect QC to contain a single, overarching narrative or something like that. My only nitpick, really (and I really am picking nits, not trying to punch huge holes in QC at all), is that sometimes when Jeph does resolve a storyline, it doesn't feel earned.

words words words
that is all
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #58 on: 08 Jan 2019, 16:34 »

Now, on the other hand, how much money does she need? Rent, electricity, water, internet. No food. Well, except bread for 'the birds'. Her salary as a part of the policeforce should have enabled her to save some money each month. Even assuming that she hasn't been a cop more than a year or two, she should be OK for a few months at least, maybe as much as a year or two depending on salary and rent. I think she sees this as her last big spending point before a longer time of being careful with money, and while the money she added for the model G could have kept her alive for a couple of months extra, she's not worse off now than she was before the accident, and in a newer body.

Speaking of rent: If many AIs have their own apartment now, shouldn't that cause a shortage of homes? We've seen both Roko and Melon&Arthur have their own places. What about all the others that have frequented Union Robotics? Some of course co-habit with humans, like Momo, May, Bubbles & Winslow with human sized bodies, and AFAIK all small bodied AIs like Pintsize. How many AIs exist in this universe anyway? How many humans?

I've followed this same train of thought.  Roko strikes me as being pretty frugal by nature with only the occasional splurge.  She'll be financially okay.

I suspect that whatever she's trying to tell Melon she needs to see in panel 4 isn't normally exposed to daylight.  She's going to look for the logo on her butt and discover than she's now anatomically correct.  This opens the door for all kinds of amusing romantic complications (which I still hope involve Clinton).

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #59 on: 08 Jan 2019, 18:42 »

... but Roko felt that a near-death experience left her deserving the very best model and a butt tattoo.

I doubt that Jeph will ever let us know what it is ...

That was ME, trimming a quote!
Sadly, I agree with BenRG. We never got to see the model sheet for Pictoria's tattoos either.
At least Roko seems to approve of her new bod. So far...
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

Sullivan

• Furry furrier
  • Speaker-to- ... um... hm.
« Reply #60 on: 08 Jan 2019, 19:25 »

(OT alert)

It took a bit to find it, but here's George Carlin going over the misuse of common phrases (including "copping out").

That was a lot of fun to listen to, but I think you meant to link this one.

Does anybody else think that Jonathan Banks ("Mike" in Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul, also Agent Rick Dicker in Incredibles 2) sounds a lot like George Carlin?

Cheetaur

• Plantmonster
« Reply #61 on: 08 Jan 2019, 20:44 »

Seems Roko likes what she sees. Its probably the only time we will get to see her in a bikini as well.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #62 on: 08 Jan 2019, 20:46 »

It took a bit to find it, but here's George Carlin going over the misuse of common phrases (including "copping out").

That was a lot of fun to listen to, but I think you meant to link this one.

Snip. Yes. Yes I did.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

mercykills

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #63 on: 08 Jan 2019, 22:04 »

Indeed, Roko.

Indeed!

OldGoat

« Reply #64 on: 08 Jan 2019, 22:31 »

Seems Roko likes what she sees. Its probably the only time we will get to see her in a bikini as well.
I hope not.

'Bot or not, Roko's hot.

(Okay, I'll stop now.  ;)  )

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #65 on: 08 Jan 2019, 23:21 »

My guess at Roko's inner monologue:

PANEL 1: "Okay, that's Melon calmed down. Now. Moment of truth."

PANEL 2: "So, this is the Philomena-G... No; this is me! I've got to keep telling myself that!

PANEL 3 "Its... my hair feels finer. Smaller strand seeds? Touching it feels weird because of the tighter sensor grid..."

PANEL 4: "Abdominal musculature doesn't seem to have changed... *Sigh* Will I ever see human abs with my own optics?"

PANEL 5: "Well, everything seems to be here. I just can't shake the feeling that I'm forgetting something! Oh, yeah, wait!"

PANEL 6: "Oh that's hilarious! How did they license that image to use at the model logo?"

Yeah, I'm wondering if the logo for the Philomena-G is something like this! Cute (because of its origins) but still stylish. I also think it has the sort of general feel of which Roko would approve!
~~~~

Storel

« Reply #66 on: 09 Jan 2019, 00:30 »

Am I the only one who keeps getting reminded of a certain Muppet song by the word "Philomena"?   :?

Philomena! (doo-dooo, de doo-doo)
Philomena! (doo doo-doo, doo)
Philomena! (doo-dooo, de doo-doo, de doo-doo, de doo-doo-doo-doo doo doo dooo, doo!)

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #67 on: 09 Jan 2019, 01:00 »

Not any more, you're not  :x
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #68 on: 09 Jan 2019, 01:14 »

Am I the only one who keeps getting reminded of a certain Muppet song by the word "Philomena"?   :?

Philomena! (doo-dooo, de doo-doo)
Philomena! (doo doo-doo, doo)
Philomena! (doo-dooo, de doo-doo, de doo-doo, de doo-doo-doo-doo doo doo dooo, doo!)

I still wonder who used that song first between the Muppets and Benny Hill...
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #69 on: 09 Jan 2019, 01:17 »

Ahum... yeah, it really is a fine, nice and firm... emblem!
« Last Edit: 09 Jan 2019, 04:39 by traroth »

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #70 on: 09 Jan 2019, 01:21 »

The "Ma Na Ma Na Song" was first used in a Swedish "sexploitation" movie (Wiki's words, not mine) before it joined Mr. Henson's crew on Sesame Street. It was used by Mr. Hill a couple years later.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #71 on: 09 Jan 2019, 01:33 »

Um... the link you provided doesn't use those words. It just describes it as an Italian film.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #72 on: 09 Jan 2019, 02:06 »

Okay...
So Roko has slightly different looking ears...
I'm struggling to see any other differences...
Which begs the question... has there been a point to this little arc?
(Ass branding aside!)
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #73 on: 09 Jan 2019, 02:19 »

As Tom Servo once said, “Can’t a robot admire his own back porch without being thought a weirdo?”

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #74 on: 09 Jan 2019, 04:10 »

Compare and Contrast.

Truth be told, not much difference between Roko 1.0 and Roko 2.0.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #75 on: 09 Jan 2019, 04:34 »

Compare and Contrast.

New Rokko's face looks a bit more angular methinks, like she's two, three years 'older'?

Something a tiny bit different about the drawing style.

"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning

WhyNot

• Plantmonster
« Reply #76 on: 09 Jan 2019, 04:35 »

I was kind of secretly hoping that Roko's new body would be some sort of future tech from Alice's world. It would have been a great easter egg/crossover from a great comic.
Cole's Law:  Thinly Sliced Cabbage.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #77 on: 09 Jan 2019, 04:38 »

She didn't even take a look at her new ears which are the more clearly different feature...

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #78 on: 09 Jan 2019, 04:41 »

Compare and Contrast.

It's not easy to compare. I can't remember a comic featuring old Roko with as little clothing, and new Roko is really out of any context. She could be taller or shorter, for example...

By the way, isn't she slightly blushing in the last picture?

Netherdan

• Plantmonster
« Reply #79 on: 09 Jan 2019, 04:51 »

I doubt that Jeph will ever let us know what it is but I'm hoping that the logo is something utterly ridiculous like a winking double-thumbs up with tongue poking out emoji or something similar.
According to her smirk it might be wheat or wheat by-products themed.

dutchrvl

« Reply #80 on: 09 Jan 2019, 06:34 »

Okay...
(Ass branding aside!)

Who knows (well, Jeph presumably)?
Perhaps Roko will have PTSD issues or issues with bodily integration? Perhaps she does not have her prior fetish and must deal with that? Or perhaps it will simply be about her slightly changed appearance having all kinds of consequences, such as in her new job, lovelife, etc. 

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #81 on: 09 Jan 2019, 07:01 »

Okay...
(Ass branding aside!)

Beyond the 'fancy butt emblem' and not-being-crushed-flat-nessy, the new chassis reportedly also comes with a "slight sensory upgrade", so I see some potential for future plot-, and character development, particularly given her recent career-choices.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #82 on: 09 Jan 2019, 07:33 »

Okay...
(Ass branding aside!)

Beyond the 'fancy butt emblem' and not-being-crushed-flat-nessy, the new chassis reportedly also comes with a "slight sensory upgrade", so I see some potential for future plot-, and character development, particularly given her recent career-choices.

This, of course, is what I am hoping for...
The *slight sensory upgrade* being the only pointer in the Lemon strips...

Interesting times... (I hope!!)
Covenant

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #83 on: 09 Jan 2019, 07:38 »

Robot asses
Ro-butts?
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

OldGoat

« Reply #84 on: 09 Jan 2019, 08:13 »

Oh.  That's Philomena G, not Philomena D.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #85 on: 09 Jan 2019, 08:48 »

Next step: hairstyle

Cheetaur

• Plantmonster
« Reply #86 on: 09 Jan 2019, 08:49 »

The other fact that other than a new body she will also get a good settlement, her being unemployed now is a windfall for her. Hopefully she can use this to help other unfortunate AI in problems like May... Looking forward to seeing Roko leap into her new career.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #87 on: 09 Jan 2019, 09:49 »

Um... the link you provided doesn't use those words. It just describes it as an Italian film.

Read further, and my most sincere apologies for condensing: "an exploitation documentary film about wild sexual activity and other behaviour "
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #88 on: 09 Jan 2019, 12:24 »

Please accept, then, my own, equally sincere, apologies for taking at face value your explanation that they were "Wiki's words, not mine." I blame George Carlin. Pedantic bastard.

P.S. Seriously, though, sorry I am such a pedantic bastard. I actually thought you'd got those words from some other wiki page and posted a different one.
« Last Edit: 09 Jan 2019, 12:47 by Tova »

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #89 on: 09 Jan 2019, 13:57 »

It makes sense that Roko's new body would look very much like the old one though. It's the same brand, just a slightly more advanced model. So the general architecture, internal and external, should be mostly the same. Not a big shift like with Momo-chibi to her current chassis. Plus the fact that there is a decent amount of customizing available in models, and Roko was happy with how she looked. So it shouldn't have been difficult to order a model with the same skin tone and hair color/style as her old body.

In itself I think this is somewhat telling. This was a prime time to reimagine herself. By the way it was described Crushbot's insurance paid a cash sum high enough for the top of the line model in the same brand of Roko's old body. They could have provided her an equivalent model, but instead they gave her the cash. And with every and any option available to her Roko could have looked any way she wanted to... Yet she chose to stick with what she knows, what she's comfortable with likely. She wanted as close a match to her old body as she could. Plus a fancy butt emblem as compensation for her anguish.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #90 on: 09 Jan 2019, 20:46 »

According to her smirk it might be wheat or wheat by-products themed.
"Certified Loaf" in extra fancy calligraphy.

EDIT:
I suspect it's the nipples she's having trouble parsing. She's got a slightly upgraded sensory sweet and potentially two new nodes of heightened sensitivity. Give her a few days/weeks to get used to it.
« Last Edit: 11 Jan 2019, 17:41 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #91 on: 09 Jan 2019, 21:03 »

Technically, it's socially appropriate well-wishing.

A small perverse otter

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Staying well enhydrated
« Reply #92 on: 09 Jan 2019, 21:06 »

"Certified Loaf" in extra fancy calligraphy.
I'm certain she's looking forward to loafing around a lot now that she's no longer tied to her job with the police.
"AGH! Humans are so STUPID sometimes!" -- QC #3668

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #93 on: 09 Jan 2019, 21:39 »

For those who questioned what new enhancements Roko's body has we can now conclude 2...  and I'm not talking about detailed ears. 

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #94 on: 09 Jan 2019, 21:46 »

Yup.. Lemon surely is Melon's sibling.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #95 on: 09 Jan 2019, 22:12 »

For those who questioned what new enhancements Roko's body has we can now conclude 2...  and I'm not talking about detailed ears.

Oooh I know. It's the ability to change the shape of her eyes.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #96 on: 09 Jan 2019, 23:24 »

Roko is a wonderfully three-dimensional character, isn't she? I love how she responds to Lemon (who, like her sister, seems to lack appreciation of what things you do and do not discuss in public). It's also a nice touch that she's having difficultly mentally connecting with her new situation (IRL, I've heard of patients who have had radical life-saving surgery having difficulty to accept their new reality, especially if their appearance has changed radically.) Personally, I think that it would be a good thing if Roko came back to talk to Lemon a few times, even if only to talk through her feelings and fears.

Combined with the more human-like ears, the 'nipples' thing makes me think that the Philomena-G is far more strongly anthropomimetic than previous models, having a lot more cosmetic touches like that. It may be interesting in future to see if the degree it is designed to give 'a human experience' may impact on Roko's reaction to things she encounters. She may even be mistaken for a human in low light conditions!

I just love Lemon in the last couple of panels. As Bubbles said, that batch of AIs are all a little eccentric and I just can't help but laugh at her surprise that Roko could see the balloon!
« Last Edit: 09 Jan 2019, 23:37 by BenRG »
~~~~

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #97 on: 10 Jan 2019, 01:43 »

I stand corrected.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #98 on: 10 Jan 2019, 03:07 »

And with every and any option available to her Roko could have looked any way she wanted to... Yet she chose to stick with what she knows, what she's comfortable with likely. She wanted as close a match to her old body as she could. Plus a fancy butt emblem as compensation for her anguish.

"Unfortunately, you need a health scare, to re-prioritise..."
Covenant

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #99 on: 10 Jan 2019, 03:18 »

I just can't help but laugh at her surprise that Roko could see the balloon!
Well, Roko is a trained investigator, after all...
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up