THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 06:13
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

So what is Roko's new chassis going to be like?

Pretentious like a Porsche.
- 9 (28.1%)
Big Badonkadonk like a Kardashian.
- 4 (12.5%)
Pigtails (and her other accoutrements) like Momo.
- 2 (6.3%)
Attitude and glitches like May.
- 2 (6.3%)
HAH! She looks like Lemon!
- 3 (9.4%)
Worse - she looks like PINTSIZE.
- 0 (0%)
That dream of being a toaster is FINALLY REALIZED!
- 4 (12.5%)
Purple Monkey Dishwasher!
- 8 (25%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 7-11 January 2019 (3911-3915)  (Read 48441 times)

Netherdan

• Plantmonster
Re: WCDT 7-11 January 2019 (3911-3915)
« Reply #200 on: 13 Jan 2019, 16:21 »

This butt does not have a Butt Emblem™
Crushbot should have Sam fix that

Shremedy

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #201 on: 14 Jan 2019, 09:55 »

Such a conversation starter that would be. Especially if you can get the voder to work.
I am now imagining an Alexa hack, like with the Billy Bass talking fish...
"Because I dislike being quoted I lie almost constantly when talking about my work." -- Terry Gilliam

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #202 on: 14 Jan 2019, 10:38 »

There were a lot of roughly-Crushbot-shaped and -coloured robots in the fighting ring, and Punchbot has a similar name (though he is grey).
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #203 on: 14 Jan 2019, 10:44 »

Such a conversation starter that would be. Especially if you can get the voder to work.
I am now imagining an Alexa hack, like with the Billy Bass talking fish...
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Shremedy

« Reply #204 on: 14 Jan 2019, 11:12 »

It's implied that, Crushbot's insurance was that generous. Lemon's only caveat was that most tech blogs reported that the Philomena-G wasn't worth the extra $20k but Roko felt that a near-death experience left her deserving the very best model and a butt tattoo.

I doubt that Jeph will ever let us know what it is but I'm hoping that the logo is something utterly ridiculous like a winking double-thumbs up with tongue poking out emoji or something similar.
TBH I'm surprised that bot-body manufacturers DON'T have their brand logo on the butt (a la designer jeans) by default.  It would cost more to persuade them to REMOVE said logo!
"Because I dislike being quoted I lie almost constantly when talking about my work." -- Terry Gilliam

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #205 on: 14 Jan 2019, 11:33 »

Wouldn't they want their logo someplace where more people would see it?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Morituri

• William Gibson's Babydaddy
« Reply #206 on: 14 Jan 2019, 12:01 »

Wouldn't they want their logo someplace where more people would see it?

Perhaps they make assumptions about the "shenanigan amenability" of their AI customers?

Theta9

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Not even that gay.
« Reply #207 on: 14 Jan 2019, 13:30 »

TBH I'm surprised that bot-body manufacturers DON'T have their brand logo on the butt (a la designer jeans) by default.  It would cost more to persuade them to REMOVE said logo!
Truth. Many car dealerships really piss me off in that regard, bolting a badge with their name to the body of the car, which can't be removed without leaving an ugly mark and bolt holes.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #208 on: 14 Jan 2019, 16:47 »

So have it replaced with something you like better. Sounds like an after-market opportunity to me.
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

A small perverse otter

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Staying well enhydrated
« Reply #209 on: 14 Jan 2019, 19:47 »

Truth. Many car dealerships really piss me off in that regard, bolting a badge with their name to the body of the car, which can't be removed without leaving an ugly mark and bolt holes.
Yeah, I hate that. It's vandalism, and nothing short.  It's *my* car, dude. I didn't give you permission to damage the car that way.
"AGH! Humans are so STUPID sometimes!" -- QC #3668

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #210 on: 14 Jan 2019, 20:29 »

Here I am, detector the size of a cubic kilometer, and what do they have me do? Detect neutrinos. You call that job satisfaction? Because I don't.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #211 on: 15 Jan 2019, 09:18 »

Yeah, I hate that. It's vandalism, and nothing short.  It's *my* car, dude. I didn't give you permission to damage the car that way.
I suppose they would claim that it's their car until you buy it, so they can do whatever they want prior. But it's still some serious bullshit.
stePH
--

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #212 on: 15 Jan 2019, 11:58 »

They shouldn't really be able to show you one car, then change it without your permission before they hand it over, surely?
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #213 on: 15 Jan 2019, 12:24 »

They shouldn't really be able to show you one car, then change it without your permission before they hand it over, surely?
No, what they do is, they bolt the goddamn things on as soon as they're received from the factory.
stePH
--

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #214 on: 15 Jan 2019, 12:50 »

And people actually buy them? Ugh. No thanks.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #215 on: 15 Jan 2019, 16:46 »

This seems to be going out of style. Every car I have bought in the last 20 years has not had the dealer’s name bolted on. Instead they have had the dealer name on an easily removable license plate frame.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #216 on: 15 Jan 2019, 17:13 »

Yes, here it's either a license plate frame or a sticker. It was a sticker (on the rear window) on my last car. I remember thinking that was a hassle. Little did I know.

Shremedy

« Reply #217 on: 15 Jan 2019, 18:31 »

Unpopular opinion regarding Crushbot:  He deserves every bit of angst he gets.  Robots, while frequently given bodies appropriate for whatever jobs they do, have much greater opportunities to modify, tweak, or outright change their bodies than humans do.  He has the ability -- and the personal responsibility -- to be less "musclebound" and "clumsy", for the safety of others around him!  Even if he has to go into debt to make it so!  His manufacturer needs a severe talking-to by Scary Expensive Lawyers about letting such an inherently dangerous product out into the wild!  While comical in this context (and admittedly owing a great deal to Cartoon Physicstm), Crushbot's utter clumsiness is frightening in real world context.  Had it been a human in the line of Crushbot's collapse, the result would have been tragic.  Hell, it still could have been tragic, for Roko!  Data recorders in airplanes sometimes fail, despite their robust design, in the face of real-world accident conditions.

Morituri

« Reply #218 on: 15 Jan 2019, 18:32 »

Tova?  I'm sorry to ask, but what nation are you in again?  (Australia?  Do I remember that right?)

I actually remember a random scrap of a long time ago, when my brother was getting his first pickup truck.  When for the first time ever I saw cars on the showroom floor *WITHOUT* the ugly additional dealership-badge chrome. 

(They weren't actually bolted here in the US; we got 'mounted' instead where the chrome badges had pegs molded into the back and they punched a hole for the pegs to go in.  So, no threads and no nut on the other side.  They were friction-fit and could be pulled off by hand, but then you had a car with ugly holes punched in the fender).

Anyway, it turned out that a couple years previous, somebody had sued a car dealership to either get paid for the "advertising" he was doing for them or get a replacement car without ugly holes in the fender.  And he won.  And after that (literally decades now) I have never observed another US car dealership putting those ugly chrome plates on their cars.  These days they "badge" the license plate frames instead, and of course you can exchange those at whim.

A small perverse otter

« Reply #219 on: 15 Jan 2019, 19:27 »

Tova?  I'm sorry to ask, but what nation are you in again?  (Australia?  Do I remember that right?)

I actually remember a random scrap of a long time ago, when my brother was getting his first pickup truck.  When for the first time ever I saw cars on the showroom floor *WITHOUT* the ugly additional dealership-badge chrome. 

(They weren't actually bolted here in the US; we got 'mounted' instead where the chrome badges had pegs molded into the back and they punched a hole for the pegs to go in.  So, no threads and no nut on the other side.  They were friction-fit and could be pulled off by hand, but then you had a car with ugly holes punched in the fender).

Anyway, it turned out that a couple years previous, somebody had sued a car dealership to either get paid for the "advertising" he was doing for them or get a replacement car without ugly holes in the fender.  And he won.  And after that (literally decades now) I have never observed another US car dealership putting those ugly chrome plates on their cars.  These days they "badge" the license plate frames instead, and of course you can exchange those at whim.
FWIW, there's a local dealership up my way -- I'm in the PNW -- which still vandalizes the cars that way. I simply won't deal with them, so I can't say whether the badge is on the car before it's sold or not.

(Interpretation: PNW == "Pacific NorthWest", Washington State, Oregon, and other nearby scraps of the US. Dominated by Geeks and Nature Freaks.)

cesium133

• Cesium Comics
« Reply #220 on: 15 Jan 2019, 19:43 »

This seems to be going out of style. Every car I have bought in the last 20 years has not had the dealer’s name bolted on. Instead they have had the dealer name on an easily removable license plate frame.
My car came with the dealer name bolted on, and I bought it in 2015.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #221 on: 15 Jan 2019, 20:22 »

No worries at all. Yep, you remember correctly.

Actually, I think it's possible for the plates themselves to have dealer branding on them. But that's a recent thing.

I don't think Australians would wear having the dealer logo bolted onto the car body.

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #222 on: 16 Jan 2019, 00:43 »

FWIW, there's a local dealership up my way -- I'm in the PNW -- which still vandalizes the cars that way. I simply won't deal with them, so I can't say whether the badge is on the car before it's sold or not.

(Interpretation: PNW == "Pacific NorthWest", Washington State, Oregon, and other nearby scraps of the US. Dominated by Geeks and Nature Freaks.)
We're neighbors, Otter.

Remember Huling Brothers' Buick in west Seattle?  (Yeah, THOSE guys.)  They ran a radio ad campaign making a big deal out of selling Huling cars which looked an awful lot like Buicks.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #223 on: 16 Jan 2019, 07:36 »

We're neighbors! I'm in Carlton, near McMinnville Oregon.

And OldGoat... I see a lot of goats along highway 47 between Carlton and McMinnville.  :-D
stePH
--

A small perverse otter

« Reply #224 on: 16 Jan 2019, 11:38 »

We are, indeed, neighbors.  My home tidepool is in the hills east of Seattle...

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #225 on: 16 Jan 2019, 12:37 »

We are, indeed, neighbors. 
:lol: I just flashed back to Bubbles saying "it is indeed like fuck." (When Faye was heading out to buy a bottle)
stePH
--

Morituri

« Reply #226 on: 16 Jan 2019, 15:49 »

I just find it wonderful and amazing that an actual lawsuit had the incredible effect of stopping cold a practice that had become a standard business practice nationwide, and which had always annoyed millions of people.

I mean, look.  It was about a valid but relatively trivial issue.  The customer was making an arguably "unreasonable" demand.  The civil suit brought a judgment against one dealership and resulted in no change in law.  The judgment wasn't even that harsh (they had to replace a fender and a trunk lid and pay a settlement amounting to about a year's car payments).   The precedent set would hold only for a single district.  There wasn't a notification or civil order to stop doing that officially sent to any other car dealers, even in that single district.  It was just a precedent set in court, and  every dealership in the country took notice of the fact that they could possibly get sued and lose, and they all stopped doing it.  Bam, problem solved.  By a single, somewhat unreasonable lawsuit.

It was something that had annoyed millions of people and enraged a few - but always juuuust short of the amount of annoyance or anger that would cause them to file a suit.   And it only took one somewhat unreasonable man, and it was over.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #227 on: 23 Jan 2019, 16:55 »

These days they "badge" the license plate frames instead, and of course you can exchange those at whim.
The normal things in Australia are:
  • Flimsy clip-on plastic frames round the edge of the screwed-on metal number-plate.
  • Stickers on the inside of the rear windscreen.
Ever since the NSW government woke up to how much money they could make by charging for fifty-seven varieties of plate design, many variations have become available, but I haven't yet seen one with the dealer's name on it. If dealer proposed that to me, I think I'd insist that they pay for the plate. I've always been happy with the standard black on yellow plate.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

ZoeB

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • -
« Reply #228 on: 23 Jan 2019, 20:24 »

I think I'd insist that they pay for the plate. I've always been happy with the standard black on yellow plate.

For those outside Oz...

That's the NSW (State of New South Wales) standard. The ACT's (Australian Capital Territory's) is blue letters on off white.

Australian number plates are an interesting and complex subject. See https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_Australia
Akima wrote thus : " Besides which, forgiving other people is something you do for yourself, not for them. "
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up