Reincarnation
- 4 (9.8%)
Something beyond human understanding
- 16 (39%)
Titrated titanium tightwad
- 2 (4.9%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT 3926-3930 (28 Jan - 1 Feb 2019)  (Read 27629 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
WCDT 3926-3930 (28 Jan - 1 Feb 2019)
« on: 26 Jan 2019, 21:55 »

New week, new thread. (Didn't feel like coming up with a poll, sorry.)
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
Re: WCDT 3926-3930 (28 Jan - 1 Feb 2019)
« Reply #1 on: 27 Jan 2019, 18:56 »

So, do you think we'll continue the scene with Roko and Tsunderbot? Or move on?

Maybe Marten will actually get some scene time?

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #2 on: 27 Jan 2019, 19:42 »

Mar... who? That mysterious boyfriend Claire talks about but we've never seen? I thought it was a figment of the imagination.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #3 on: 27 Jan 2019, 20:41 »

Well, with them all living together one suspects it came up... don't think we ever saw that talk on camera, tho.

zmeiat_joro

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
« Reply #4 on: 27 Jan 2019, 21:01 »

I had wondered if it had come up off-camera, but they've not discussed it in front of the fourth wall, as far as I can remember..
« Last Edit: 27 Jan 2019, 22:04 by zmeiat_joro »
I, for one, welcome the fragmentation of deeper levels of shared reality.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #5 on: 27 Jan 2019, 21:57 »

If she doesn't know, then that would explain Faye's flippancy about it.  If she does know, well, we know Faye's kind of a twit.

Glad Claire took the flippancy well, at least.  And yeah, I can imagine those conversations going that way. XD

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #6 on: 27 Jan 2019, 23:15 »

That was a wonderful strip. Jeph gets special congratulations on balancing the message with the closing punchline without it seeming forced. Yes, I can see conversations between Claire and Marten degenerating somewhat because Claire's very angsty about not being able to keep her hands off of her boyfriend's butt (IIRC, Dora thought that was his most impressive feature).

IMO, Faye's reactions are interesting too. You can see that she's really listening to what Claire is saying and thinking about what is really involved in her and Marten's relationship. Maybe she's also going to end up asking Bubbles if they need more 'meaningful conversation'. Frankly, I think that they already do that; Faye just needs to not be so afraid of admitting that she has depths and that some stuff makes her anxious.

If she doesn't know, then that would explain Faye's flippancy about it.  If she does know, well, we know Faye's kind of a twit.

Glad Claire took the flippancy well, at least.  And yeah, I can imagine those conversations going that way. XD

I would have hoped that Faye would be flippant if she did know. It's a good way to show that you don't think Claire is 'other' or in any way a special case if Faye treats her like she would any other friend discussing her having deep, meaningful conversations with their SO. There was nothing rude or disrespectful about what Faye said anyway.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Penquin47

« Reply #7 on: 27 Jan 2019, 23:51 »

I dunno, it kind of came off as mocking to me?  Which could go either way, Claire could feel like Faye is mocking her or she could accept that it's Faye's sense of humor and it's exactly how Faye would've behaved with anyone else saying that.  In person, getting to hear Faye's tone of voice, it would probably be a lot less ambiguous.

Annemoon

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #8 on: 28 Jan 2019, 03:19 »

IMO, Faye's reactions are interesting too. You can see that she's really listening to what Claire is saying and thinking about what is really involved in her and Marten's relationship. Maybe she's also going to end up asking Bubbles if they need more 'meaningful conversation'. Frankly, I think that they already do that; Faye just needs to not be so afraid of admitting that she has depths and that some stuff makes her anxious.

Yeah I feel like Faye's knee jerk reaction to serious stuff seems to be 'trying to joke about things' - can't deal with tension and immediately goes to humour.
In that way it also sorta makes sense in her reaction to Roku, trying to go for the bright side is her way of dealing, so that's what she tries.

Luckily Claire seems to be in a good place herself and isn't offended by this sort of stuff.
I could imagine super anxious Claire not dealing too well - but she's grown too.
"science fairy" - cybersmurf

hakko504

• Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek
« Reply #9 on: 28 Jan 2019, 03:35 »

My understanding when I read the second speech bubble in the third panel was that Claire was about to say something about being trans and when she got to "ramifications" she realised that she hadn't told Faye yet, and changed it into "the risks and challenges we may face". Or in other words, I do not think she's told Faye yet. But Claire did tell Bubbles, so Faye may be about to be briefed about the full situation before the week is over.

[edit] spelling [/edit]
« Last Edit: 28 Jan 2019, 07:03 by hakko504 »
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #10 on: 28 Jan 2019, 04:29 »

Mar... who? That mysterious boyfriend Claire talks about but we've never seen? I thought it was a figment of the imagination.

Mark? No ... Marlon? No ... Marion?
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

TheEvilDog

« Reply #11 on: 28 Jan 2019, 05:08 »

Nah, it was Marcus. Marcus Sneed.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #12 on: 28 Jan 2019, 05:14 »

I thought MarBear was with Dale.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

dutchrvl

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #13 on: 28 Jan 2019, 05:27 »

My understabnding when I read the second speech bubble in the third panel was yhat Claire was about to say something about being trans and when she got to "ramifications" she realised that she hadn't told Faye yet, and changed it into "the risks and challenges we may face". Or in other words, I do not think she's told Faye yet. But Claire did tell Bubbles, so Faye may be about to be briefed about the full situation before the week is over.

Yeah, this is how I read it too. To me Faye's reaction was more or less making fun of Claire using the word 'ramifications', since one would typically not use such a word with respect to dating someone.  This to me indicates that Faye is not yet aware of Claire being trans. Come to think of it, Bubbles may not know that Faye is not aware of that fact.

hakko504

• Geek! Beep Boop!
« Reply #14 on: 28 Jan 2019, 07:07 »

Mark? No ... Marlon? No ... Marion?
Mark. Definitely Mark.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #15 on: 28 Jan 2019, 07:24 »

Yeah I feel like Faye's knee jerk reaction to serious stuff seems to be 'trying to joke about things' - can't deal with tension and immediately goes to humour.
In that way it also sorta makes sense in her reaction to Roku, trying to go for the bright side is her way of dealing, so that's what she tries.

Luckily Claire seems to be in a good place herself and isn't offended by this sort of stuff.
I could imagine super anxious Claire not dealing too well - but she's grown too.

Having lived with Faye even for the short amount of time Claire is probably accustomed to her short comings.  She probably accepts that Faye means well, but tends to stumble.

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #16 on: 28 Jan 2019, 07:34 »

I stuck my foot so far down my throat I've been farting shoelaces.

In a few hundred years Jeph will be recognized for contributing to the English language as much as Shakespeare is today.

Mr Intrepid

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #17 on: 28 Jan 2019, 07:57 »

Insofar that irregardless of Claire's physical state, one would thing that Faye would notice that the only feminine hygiene products in the apartment are the ones she bought for herself.  Faye knows, Claire and Marten would have told her, and she's chill with it.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #18 on: 28 Jan 2019, 08:56 »

Pintsize knows, so why wouldn’t Faye know? This is just Faye being Faye and making fun of Claire’s word choices.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Mr Intrepid

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #19 on: 28 Jan 2019, 10:18 »

Plus the fact that Faye was at the lake party when Claire told Marten.  And tacitly gave him permission to share that info as Marten deemed needful.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #20 on: 28 Jan 2019, 11:22 »

Plus the fact that Faye was at the lake party when Claire told Marten.  And tacitly gave him permission to share that info as Marten deemed needful.
Doesn't mean that Marten told anyone else. That's the kind of information where you pretty much leave it to the originator to decide who they tell.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #21 on: 28 Jan 2019, 15:06 »

Doesn't mean that Marten told anyone else. That's the kind of information where you pretty much leave it to the originator to decide who they tell.
Claire's instructions were that Marten not volunteer the information apropos of nothing, but also to just tell them if anybody asks.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

Penquin47

« Reply #22 on: 28 Jan 2019, 15:38 »

Insofar that irregardless of Claire's physical state, one would thing that Faye would notice that the only feminine hygiene products in the apartment are the ones she bought for herself.  Faye knows, Claire and Marten would have told her, and she's chill with it.

Not necessarily.  When I shared a bathroom with three other young adult women, I paid no attention to what feminine hygiene supplies were around unless I unexpectedly started my period before I got around to replacing the empty package that just got me through the last one.  Depends how observant you are and how many fucks you give - I can't see Faye caring what's going on with a roommate's cycle unless she needed to borrow supplies.  She also might think Claire just keeps it in her and Marten's room so it doesn't get mixed up with Faye's, or Faye might keep hers in her room for similar reasons.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

azurite

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #24 on: 28 Jan 2019, 16:18 »

Not necessarily.  When I shared a bathroom with three other young adult women, I paid no attention to what feminine hygiene supplies were around unless I unexpectedly started my period before I got around to replacing the empty package that just got me through the last one.  Depends how observant you are and how many fucks you give - I can't see Faye caring what's going on with a roommate's cycle unless she needed to borrow supplies.  She also might think Claire just keeps it in her and Marten's room so it doesn't get mixed up with Faye's, or Faye might keep hers in her room for similar reasons.

Exactly! Also, remember that menstruation isn't a given. Many types of HBC stop one's period entirely, as can certain health issues. Not to mention: back when I was Clare's age and still bleeding, I used a silicone cup instead of disposable goods. Usually, when not in use, that was in my messenger bag or my nightstand drawer, not in the bathroom. Largely because I didn't want to have to explain what it was to my very nosy and easily scandalized sister.  :roll:

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #25 on: 28 Jan 2019, 20:17 »

New comic's up.

"Team Coffee Of Doom is BLASTING OFF AGAIN!"

Sorry, I'm old. Anyway....

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #26 on: 28 Jan 2019, 20:24 »

Who was that masked barista? It looks like Pizza Girl has new competition.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #27 on: 28 Jan 2019, 20:25 »

I had to look up dance belt and I’m glad I since I need to get one of those next time I cosplay as the Monarch.

tomveil

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #28 on: 28 Jan 2019, 20:34 »

Is Emily's nose getting larger?

Gyrre

« Reply #29 on: 28 Jan 2019, 21:05 »

In regards to the secondary print; why the hell wouldn't someone wearing a skin-tight costume in a place where there will probably be minors include a dancers belt in their cosplay?
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Penquin47

« Reply #30 on: 28 Jan 2019, 21:25 »

1. They don't know such things exist.
2. They get off on people seeing their dick-print and don't care that minors will be around.
3. They had a dance belt but forgot to pack it or it broke or they bought the wrong size and decided it wasn't important enough to skip the cosplay all together.

OldGoat

« Reply #31 on: 28 Jan 2019, 21:26 »

I didn't know such a thing existed.  Kind of a subtle codpiece.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #32 on: 28 Jan 2019, 22:47 »

Dora's been looking younger and younger in recent strips.

Dunno about the catsuit (skintight below the waist works much better in comics than in real life), but that's really not a bad logo for Co'D. Coming soon from TopatoCo?
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #33 on: 28 Jan 2019, 23:16 »

Let's face it, this is the sort of idea that only Emily could come up with. I do feel for Dora though. Reality is slowly slipping through her fingers as time passes and she isn't happy to be like Marten and just be a passive and helpless spectator to that!

Meanwhile, I wonder if that is an official NASA hoodie and sweatpants? I'm sort of thinking that Emily (like Raven) is perfect for recruitment to the pop culture version of NASA that has various think-tank non-specific idea factories scattered around the country to make mad ideas happen! I also think that Emily on the Moon has a ring to it!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #34 on: 28 Jan 2019, 23:18 »

Better keep the sword away from Dale. Feeling too powerful can go to your head.
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

oeoek

• Furry furrier
    • friggin artists!
« Reply #35 on: 29 Jan 2019, 00:34 »

It's the Caffeinator!

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #36 on: 29 Jan 2019, 01:45 »

Is it just me, or did the tag originally just say "Spiderman"?  Only I have to think Deadpool would give a cosplay without a codpiece a pat on the back...
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #37 on: 29 Jan 2019, 02:04 »

Is it just me, or did the tag originally just say "Spiderman"?  Only I have to think Deadpool would give a cosplay without a codpiece a pat on the back...

Deadpool would do it on purpose.  With Spider-Man it would be youthful inexperience.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #38 on: 29 Jan 2019, 03:57 »

Quite true.  Just ask Skullmaster.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

TheEvilDog

« Reply #39 on: 29 Jan 2019, 04:03 »

Dora's been looking younger and younger in recent strips.

Obviously Dora is a life-force vampire, she's draining Tai of her life energy to regain her youth.

Tai Fanboi

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • DeadWinter
« Reply #40 on: 29 Jan 2019, 04:14 »

Skullmaster, Master of Skulls, approves of Dales new uniform. 
Oh god, I should've drunk more so I wouldn't remember that.

dutchrvl

« Reply #41 on: 29 Jan 2019, 06:15 »

There's always the mighty warladle as a slightly safer alternative  :lol:

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #42 on: 29 Jan 2019, 11:07 »

The citation for what Theta9 said
Thanks, Cold. It's quite trying to search for a particular strip (I spent half an hour last week looking for a different one to reference on Facebook, and came up empty).

So thank you for doing the heavy lifting.  8-)
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

hakko504

• Geek! Beep Boop!
« Reply #43 on: 29 Jan 2019, 11:26 »

The citation for what Theta9 said
Thanks, Cold. It's quite trying to search for a particular strip (I spent half an hour last week looking for a different one to reference on Facebook, and came up empty).

So thank you for doing the heavy lifting.  8-)
The wiki's Strip by Strip page is a valuable resource for finding old strips.

Y

• Curry sauce
« Reply #44 on: 29 Jan 2019, 11:30 »

In regards to the secondary print; why the hell wouldn't someone wearing a skin-tight costume in a place where there will probably be minors include a dancers belt in their cosplay?
Wouldn't that be the same as wearing a speedo? (though I can't remember when the last time was I've seen one)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #45 on: 29 Jan 2019, 11:37 »

Dance belts generally have a thong back, as a wider back causes panty lines.  They also have a wider belt to minimise waist lines as well.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

OldGoat

« Reply #46 on: 29 Jan 2019, 11:41 »

Although if there's anyone at CoD who I'd trust not to misuse weapons, it would be Dale.  Not that he couldn't be an asshole, it's just that it's very unlikely.

Roborat

• Furry furrier
« Reply #47 on: 29 Jan 2019, 12:16 »

Love the first panel.  That response by Dora would be the immediate response for anyone within earshot of Emily upon hearing that statement. 

Plot twist, Dale isn't wearing a dance belt, he is actually that well endowed.

OldGoat

« Reply #48 on: 29 Jan 2019, 12:49 »

Plot twist, Dale isn't wearing a dance belt, he is actually that well endowed.
No wonder Marigold's complexion has improved.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #49 on: 29 Jan 2019, 12:53 »

Just putting it out there that I would totally buy a t-shirt or hoodie with that logo.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up