THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 14:00
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What is the answer to the mind/body problem?

The physical world is just a product of the mind
- 0 (0%)
The mind is just a process running on CPUs in the physical world
- 7 (28%)
There's no real distinction among manifestations of vital energy
- 4 (16%)
They are equal and distinct
- 2 (8%)
Something beyond human understanding
- 8 (32%)
Vandalized vanadium vanguard
- 4 (16%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3936-3940 (11-15 February 2019)  (Read 23255 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
WCDT Strips 3936-3940 (11-15 February 2019)
« on: 10 Feb 2019, 07:36 »

New week, new thread!

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Re: WCDT Strips 3936-3940 (11-15 February 2019)
« Reply #1 on: 10 Feb 2019, 12:12 »

Want a poll?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2 on: 10 Feb 2019, 18:35 »

Want a poll?

Go for it. I'm not up for it on a usual basis.

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #3 on: 10 Feb 2019, 19:23 »

Strip is up! 

Some people just want to watch bridges burn.

And while that doesn't excuse Peter for his insensitivity I think after a night with Renee a lot of us would not only torch the bridge, but dynamite the pylons. 

TheEvilDog

« Reply #4 on: 10 Feb 2019, 19:45 »

As abrasive as Renee might be at times, nothing justifies the way that guy acted. There's being a douche because your date was terrible and then there's being a douche for the sake of being a douche. I strongly suspect P-Man falls into the latter category.

Also, Adult Swim, I have a new show for you, called P-Man and the Bastards of the Universe! Yours for only 55% of whatever you make.
« Last Edit: 10 Feb 2019, 20:01 by Castlerook »

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #5 on: 10 Feb 2019, 23:13 »

Birds of a feather and all that.  He's an asshole but so is Renee.  They deserve each other so much that I wonder if Jeph plans a long term dysfunctional relationship for the two of them.   Her kindness and care toward Brun is all we've seen that makes her  the better example of a human being.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #6 on: 10 Feb 2019, 23:30 »

I think that possibly Jeph is setting Renee up for a "I'm tired of casual hook-ups! I want to have a long-term relationship with Elliott somebody!" epiphany. Either that or he's setting up for Brun to ask Clinton and Elliott questions about adult relationships that neither of them are really ready for, especially without context!

I have to say that this is a world I have never personally inhabited and I find it hard to imagine that there is a whole sub-class of people who like insulting and alienating their partners as soon as the deed is done. I'm guessing it's a power trip thing but I'll never get it!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #7 on: 11 Feb 2019, 00:29 »

Me neither. I think you're right, but I also think that the other benefit from their perspective is that it ensures that the person never contacts them again.

I mean, eh. I dunno. I'm not a psychologist.  :?
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Scarlet Manuka

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #8 on: 11 Feb 2019, 00:45 »

This may not be a popular opinion, but I personally am disappointed that Jeph went down the relatively easy route of making it absolutely clear that Peter was a complete sleaze, rather than opening things up to the sort of discussion we've seen here by having him not intend to be a creep, with subsequent explanation and learning (perhaps even on both sides, though Peter certainly has more to learn).

Of course, Jeph is under no obligation to do any of that in the comic; but it's something he's done before (cf. Tilly) and would give these concepts a wider airing than last week's discussion in the forums can do. Maybe not worth the investment for what looks to be basically a throw-away character, I guess. And again it is of course entirely up to Jeph as to how he chooses to progress the story; I'm just trying to express my own reaction, not trying to say that he should have done things differently.

islan

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #9 on: 11 Feb 2019, 05:13 »

Hi, I'm wondering if someone could explain some social rules, or tell me if I'm picking up on the wrong thing.  I get that P-man was being a jackass and creeper to Brun, I got that much.  But in today's comic (3936), I kinda struggled to interpret when Renee said the line "He was hitting on you, in front of me, in the most deliberately shitty way he could think of."  The line "in front of me" makes it sound like there was some subtext I didn't pick up on that he was doing it deliberately to piss Renee off, but was it primarily from the first part ("he was hitting on you") or the second part ("in the most deliberately shitty way")?  It just seems odd to me that Renee would be pissed that he would hit on her roommate when she couldn't even remember his name (not an observation against her, just an observation of the seriousness of their relationship).  Or is this just one of the major rules of hook-up culture, that you don't hit on the roommate/family member?

oddtail

« Reply #10 on: 11 Feb 2019, 05:26 »

islan: I think Renee thinks it was a deliberate action on his part to piss her off by being an obnoxious asshole.

If I'm right, it does say that Renee is somewhat self-centred, thinking as she seems to that everything that's been happening in the last few minutes is about her.

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #11 on: 11 Feb 2019, 07:01 »

Certainly, Renee is divisive. I like her, because she reminds me of my sister, but I can see why she is not universally adored.

Hi, I'm wondering if someone could explain some social rules, or tell me if I'm picking up on the wrong thing.  I get that P-man was being a jackass and creeper to Brun, I got that much.  But in today's comic (3936), I kinda struggled to interpret when Renee said the line "He was hitting on you, in front of me, in the most deliberately shitty way he could think of."  The line "in front of me" makes it sound like there was some subtext I didn't pick up on that he was doing it deliberately to piss Renee off, but was it primarily from the first part ("he was hitting on you") or the second part ("in the most deliberately shitty way")?  It just seems odd to me that Renee would be pissed that he would hit on her roommate when she couldn't even remember his name (not an observation against her, just an observation of the seriousness of their relationship).  Or is this just one of the major rules of hook-up culture, that you don't hit on the roommate/family member?

Peter was being extremely rude. Setting aside the way he did it for a moment, one does not hit on, or actively flirt, with someone's roommate immediately after sleeping with that someone. You are in another person's home; try to behave as if you were raised with a modicum of civility. At least that's what i got out of it

Edited for clarity..
« Last Edit: 11 Feb 2019, 07:15 by War Sparrow »

oddtail

« Reply #12 on: 11 Feb 2019, 07:04 »

However, Peter was being extremely rude.

I don't think I've seen anyone claiming otherwise? I'll assume you're referring to what I wrote, seeing as you wrote it immediately after my post.

My point wasn't that he wasn't rude. My point was that the person affected was primarily Brun, and Renee is making it about herself. In my opinion, unduly so.

eschaton

• Furry furrier
« Reply #13 on: 11 Feb 2019, 07:04 »

islan: I think Renee thinks it was a deliberate action on his part to piss her off by being an obnoxious asshole.

If I'm right, it does say that Renee is somewhat self-centred, thinking as she seems to that everything that's been happening in the last few minutes is about her.

Keep in mind that Angus and Renee dated, and they didn't break up on good terms. 

Not that I'm saying it's all Renee's fault, but Angus was...really really boring besides being kinda snarky.  It would make total sense if Renee had some strange hangups related to dating and relationships which made her not see things in an entirely objective manner. 

gprimr1

• Furry furrier
« Reply #14 on: 11 Feb 2019, 07:12 »

I just can't help but think, if you meet someone on the internet to hook up with, "Buyer Beware."

oddtail

« Reply #15 on: 11 Feb 2019, 07:13 »

Keep in mind that Angus and Renee dated, and they didn't break up on good terms. 

Not that I'm saying it's all Renee's fault, but Angus was...really really boring besides being kinda snarky.  It would make total sense if Renee had some strange hangups related to dating and relationships which made her not see things in an entirely objective manner.

Oh, she's a realistic character. And it's not like I'm super-condemning her for how she reacts to the world.

A character can do things that I consider wrong without me being particularly pissed off about it  :-) in fact, I find her kinda relatable, moreso than in the past.

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #16 on: 11 Feb 2019, 07:14 »

I don't think I've seen anyone claiming otherwise? I'll assume you're referring to what I wrote, seeing as you wrote it immediately after my post.

My point wasn't that he wasn't rude. My point was that the person affected was primarily Brun, and Renee is making it about herself. In my opinion, unduly so.

And that is completely fair. It was more of a general comment, focussed more on Islan's remark. I should have made that more clear, or not replied while distracted. My bad.

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #17 on: 11 Feb 2019, 11:04 »

I feel like she’s reacting appropriately— he was directing his rudeness towards a run but performing it for Renee.

94ssd

• Only pretending to work
  • Hadouken
« Reply #18 on: 11 Feb 2019, 11:12 »

Birds of a feather and all that.  He's an asshole but so is Renee.  They deserve each other so much that I wonder if Jeph plans a long term dysfunctional relationship for the two of them.   Her kindness and care toward Brun is all we've seen that makes her  the better example of a human being.

What has Renee done to deserve the vitriol? I'm a bit confused.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #19 on: 11 Feb 2019, 13:06 »

We have a secondhand report from Angus, though it was so long ago it may be in Retconville by now. She lashed out at Clinton for helping Brun. Her interactions with Brun could be construed as patronizing as opposed to helpful. She took advantage of Elliott's good nature to get him out of his shirt at work.

But you asked about vitriol, and the usual answer is that the characters are so well drawn that they remind forum members of real people in the members's lives, sometimes really bad ones.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #20 on: 11 Feb 2019, 15:52 »

What has Renee done to deserve the vitriol? I'm a bit confused.
Did you watch Downton Abbey on PBS?  Think Lady Mary without the money.  She delights in "accidentally" saying things that stir up drama which she finds amusing but can be uncomfortable at best for her victims.

TV4Fun

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #21 on: 11 Feb 2019, 17:00 »

I think Prospero lacked any social skills and, not knowing Renee or Brun especially well just thought "this is my online hookup's hot roomate, I bet I could get her into a threesome," and that's why he was hitting on her. I don't think he was deliberately being an asshole as Renee seemed to think, being an asshole just came naturally to him.

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #22 on: 11 Feb 2019, 19:21 »

Florida birthmark's real name was Steven.
Zack is easier to type than Zisraelsen, so

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #23 on: 11 Feb 2019, 19:22 »

Florida birthmark's real name was Steven.
Cosette is going to be so pissed off.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #24 on: 11 Feb 2019, 19:58 »

Did the comic change, or is this a joke saying Renee got his name wrong the same way she did P?  Because the comic says his name is Shaun.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #25 on: 11 Feb 2019, 20:06 »

One also wonders what OTHER nicknames she does.

Nah, don't wanna go there...

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #26 on: 11 Feb 2019, 20:49 »

This may have come up before.

Marigold is getting more self-reliant socially and though they will always be friends she's no longer in critical need of Momo's social protocol database.

Brun on the other hand could really use the handholding.

Brun is impecunious but I wouldn't expect there'd be an adoption fee to set up a companionship contract with Momo.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #27 on: 11 Feb 2019, 21:01 »

Did the comic change, or is this a joke saying Renee got his name wrong the same way she did P?  Because the comic says his name is Shaun.

Just a joke! The idea of Renee having a legacy of misnamed hookups was funny to me.

SeattleCrochetWoman

• Plantmonster
« Reply #28 on: 11 Feb 2019, 21:43 »

Yes, but he was also douchey and creepy to Brun, whom he didn’t even know.

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.
« Reply #29 on: 11 Feb 2019, 22:03 »

I think Prospero lacked any social skills and, not knowing Renee or Brun especially well just thought "this is my online hookup's hot roomate, I bet I could get her into a threesome," and that's why he was hitting on her. I don't think he was deliberately being an asshole as Renee seemed to think, being an asshole just came naturally to him.

I'm not sure "being an asshole comes naturally to him" is the improvement over "deliberately being an asshole" you seem to be suggesting it is here. xD
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

Scarlet Manuka

« Reply #30 on: 11 Feb 2019, 23:04 »

I'm not sure "being an asshole comes naturally to him" is the improvement over "deliberately being an asshole" you seem to be suggesting it is here. xD
If the effects are the same, surely "no particular intent" is preferable to "deliberately trying to be an asshole"? At the very least, there's more hope that they can be trained out of it.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #31 on: 11 Feb 2019, 23:16 »

Okay, so we've never seen the guy and yet I'm shipping Renee with Shaun already. Given that she's actually defending him from Brun's (inadvertent) put-downs!

This is an interesting strip in that it reminds us just how all-at-sea poor Brun is when dealing with metaphor and other figurative language. As suggested in panel 3, she's literally has to ask whether or not something is meant in figurative terms. Everyday conversation must be quite a trial for her!
~~~~

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #32 on: 12 Feb 2019, 00:00 »

I hope one day one of our members registers as Florida Birthmark. Haven't chuckled like that at a strip in a while.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #33 on: 12 Feb 2019, 02:58 »

This is a good reminder that Renee is Faye’s Secret Bakery doppelgänger.  She’s not an easy person to like and many of us probably wouldn’t, but deep down she’s a good person.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #34 on: 12 Feb 2019, 04:39 »

I'm reading QC for a while, now (8 years or so), and in my opinion, we are going to know Shaun "Florida birthmark" before long... :D
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

Milayna

« Reply #35 on: 12 Feb 2019, 04:49 »

Eh, if someone deserves being mean to, then go for whatever hurts most, which in the case of someone like that guy, is probably his dick. Also pencil-dick is a pretty average insult, a bit less hurtful but less lazy than "bitch". So I'd say Renee got the slight upper hand there.

Also, the president*'s fingers are short, hurr hurr.

TV4Fun

« Reply #36 on: 12 Feb 2019, 06:39 »

I wasn't saying it was an improvement. I just disagreed with Renee's assessment of his motivations.

heyjames4

« Reply #37 on: 12 Feb 2019, 06:44 »

I'm really enjoying the Brun and Renee slice-of-life.
Just seeing Brun be Brun, and seeing how Renee and Brun interact.
It's neat. And I like it.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #38 on: 12 Feb 2019, 08:30 »

I hope one day one of our members registers as Florida Birthmark. Haven't chuckled like that at a strip in a while.

Ok, I'm going to ask: Who the hell is Florida birthmark?
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #39 on: 12 Feb 2019, 08:34 »

Ok, I'm going to ask: Who the hell is Florida birthmark?

That's Brun's nickname (possibly acquired from Renee) for someone named Shaun whom Renee dated once and remembers fondly enough to defend him from Brun's tendency to not set aside brain space for casual acquaintances.

The name comes from the fact that he has a birthmark somewhere on his body that looks like a map of the state of Florida.
~~~~

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #40 on: 12 Feb 2019, 09:28 »

Brun on the other hand could really use the handholding.

I don't disagree, but I'd like to point out that this is one of the situations where I feel "a wee bit Brun" myself. Like "People actually do that?"

"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #41 on: 12 Feb 2019, 09:29 »

Isn't that kind of difficulty with metaphor common among people on the autism spectrum? Any idea that Brun might be neurotypical seems to be getting remote.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #42 on: 12 Feb 2019, 09:41 »

Isn't that kind of difficulty with metaphor common among people on the autism spectrum? Any idea that Brun might be neurotypical seems to be getting remote.

I'm not neurotypical, but pretty sure that I'm not on the spectrum, either, so I can't really help you here.

(There is some overlap between early-life symptoms of ADHD and parts of the spectrum, but afaik, the mechanisms are different. And I'm not really in the early parts of my life.)

Peter appears petty, stupid and vindictive to me - I see he's trying to cause hurt, but to me, he's doing it in a way that simultaneously completely nullifies any reason why I should  ever care about anything he says or thinks.

Edit: I also think you're underestimating Brun a bit when you talk of handholding - I think she is very consciously 'using' Renee as a source of "external perspective", something that I have done many times (or Hannes... ) - but so have you, on occasion, if memory serves. That doesn't mean she is slavishly adhering to Renée's view of things.
« Last Edit: 12 Feb 2019, 10:05 by Case »

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #43 on: 12 Feb 2019, 13:09 »

Brun's prior employment was as a bartender with a harpoon. I think she can handle herself way better than we give her credit for.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

comicalArchitect

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #44 on: 12 Feb 2019, 13:14 »

So it occurs to me—we've now had, as major characters, a highly promiscuous straight dude (Sven), a highly promiscuous gay girl (Tai pre-Dora), and now seemingly a highly promiscuous straight girl (Renee). We need a highly promiscuous gay dude now, to complete the This Character Fucks square.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #45 on: 12 Feb 2019, 13:20 »

Brun's prior employment was as a bartender with a harpoon. I think she can handle herself way better than we give her credit for.

I completely agree.

She has life strategies in place. She follows them doggedly. She's aware that she sometimes needs a friend's outside perspective. Not everyone has such a grasp on life.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Milayna

« Reply #46 on: 12 Feb 2019, 13:23 »

Often, though it differs by situation and person. I can usually follow straight metaphors, especially when the dimensions are absurd (a dick shaped like a pencil) or the situation is like that. But with exaggerations, slang especially, or internet memes, or situations where speech isn't denotative but rather structured on mutual intrinsic understanding (think of situations where a couple dudes might do a complicated fist bump and clown around speaking incomplete sentences), I'm often lost. I didn't pay enough attention to the other students in my spec ed classes to really evaluate their responses, much less that I'd remember after 11 years.

@ case: reminds me that I recently watched an episode of A Place Further Than The Universe (spoilers in case anyone's watching), where part of a character's backstory was revealed, in which her track team "friends" had encouraged her, a first year, to go for the top at the competition instead of deferring to the third years, which was apparently a huge faux pas. Then those same "friends" told the third years who were pissed that they had told her to be more respectful, making her look terrible. and leading her to wall herself off.

I couldn't even understand the scene at first, and even after getting the japanese cultural parts explained to me, I still can't figure out "why". I've decided to just shrug and chalk it up to "they decided to bully her, that's just a thing that people do sometimes".

Milayna

« Reply #47 on: 12 Feb 2019, 13:30 »

Yeah, that. I can do well enough on my own. It's still nice to have someone that I can let my guard down around, stop putting up a more socially adept front, and say with a blank face and monotone, "I do not understand why those people acted this way. Please explain this to me so that I can note it in my human behavior algorithm."

Brun CAN analyze and see through people's BS sometimes better than even other people can (remember Clinton). But it's exhausting. Renee is willing to just straight up explain it to her without getting weird about it. At least directly. I and others have noted before that she seems to underestimate Brun, herself, and can be condescending. Probably because she sees the relaxed Brun more than the trying-real-hard Brun.

zisraelsen

• Curry sauce
« Reply #48 on: 12 Feb 2019, 13:42 »

and now seemingly a highly promiscuous straight girl (Renee).
If her tinder settings are anything to go by, Renee is bi.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #49 on: 12 Feb 2019, 13:48 »

Yeah, pretty much. Brun is able to look after herself, she's proven that. What I'm getting from this is that Renee is babying her, for want of a better term, and has done for quite some time. This is a little difficult for me to wrap my head around, because I've never had the experience, but from what I have seen of Renee and Brun's relationship, there is this quasi-dysfunctional psuedo-parental relationship between them. Like Renee treats Brun as a child, rather than as a friend or equal. Yes Renee cares about Brun, but it seems like she's always exasperated having to explain things to her.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up