THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 05:30
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which is the best accents for halflings?

Devonshire                (Samwise LOTR trilogy)
Bristolian                   (Merry and Pippin LOTR trilogy)
Irish
Welsh
Yiddish
Cajun
Hawaiian
Maine
other (please specify)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3941-3945 (18-22 February 2019)  (Read 32184 times)

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
Re: WCDT Strips 3941-3945 (18-22 February 2019)
« Reply #100 on: 21 Feb 2019, 11:36 »

I really should stop trying to correlate the geography of QC Northampton and RL Northampton. Jeph never made much of an effort to keep the two consistent, and he doesn’t even live here any more so he doesn’t have an easy reference point.

But still, I thought I knew which bank Brun was going to based on the backgrounds in yesterday’s comic. (Florence Bank on the corner of Pleasant and Main.) But today Brun and Clinton have walked right past that location. In fact, they’re about to head down Bridge Street, and I don’t know of a bank in that direction closer than Hadley.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #101 on: 21 Feb 2019, 11:45 »

Cue the next strip, where they realise they walked a good ways past it, and can't make it back before closing time.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #102 on: 21 Feb 2019, 12:22 »

God, I love Brun.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #103 on: 21 Feb 2019, 13:41 »

Collecting clocks seems dangerous. I will stay with Lovecraft related stuff, that seems more sane.

And vintage computers...
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

TheEvilDog

« Reply #104 on: 21 Feb 2019, 13:46 »

Collecting clocks seems dangerous.

Maybe, then again I always thought that people who collect clocks always seem like they have too much time on their hands.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #105 on: 21 Feb 2019, 13:57 »

They might challenge you to a duel for saying that, and remember they can bring seconds.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #106 on: 21 Feb 2019, 14:04 »

Collecting clocks seems dangerous.

Maybe, then again I always thought that people who collect clocks always seem like they have too much time on their hands.

And probably a little cuckoo to boot.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #107 on: 21 Feb 2019, 14:17 »

They might challenge you to a duel for saying that, and remember they can bring seconds.

That's okay, I've always been a clock puncher.

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #108 on: 21 Feb 2019, 14:21 »

Collecting clocks seems dangerous. I will stay with Lovecraft related stuff, that seems more sane.
"Horologist" conjures up an image of TV preacher white hair, pince nez glasses, with sherry on the breath and biscuit crumbs on the waist coat.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #109 on: 21 Feb 2019, 19:15 »

New strip up.

We also have confirmation that Brun is autistic.

Mr Intrepid

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #110 on: 21 Feb 2019, 19:56 »

New strip up.

[/quoteAlways thought that actually.  Good friend has two brothers who are autistic.  Noted a lot of parallels from the get go.  That being said,  love her to pieces.
]

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #111 on: 21 Feb 2019, 20:26 »

New strip up.

Yes and say what you will about Peter the Prick, but through his involvement with this plot we now know Brun’s family is Lebanese and she’s autistic.

Milayna

« Reply #112 on: 21 Feb 2019, 20:29 »

Nice that it's finally confirmed =)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #113 on: 21 Feb 2019, 20:56 »

Jeph did this with the same skill and sensitivity as when Claire first confided in Marten. Brun is not "the autistic character", she is the blunt orphan who turns out to be a person with ASD. Well done.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Gyrre

« Reply #114 on: 21 Feb 2019, 21:07 »

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't clods only start using 'autistic' as an insult to replace 'retard' in the last 5 years or so? Or did it start being misused as such longer ago than that on the East Coast?
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

mikmaxs

« Reply #115 on: 21 Feb 2019, 21:14 »

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't clods only start using 'autistic' as an insult to replace 'retard' in the last 5 years or so? Or did it start being misused as such longer ago than that on the East Coast?
You might be right, but QC uses a sort of sliding timescale that doesn't really match up with our own. How long has actually passed in-universe since the comic started fifteen years ago? Three years, at most? I feel like even then much of that happened during timeskips, not even on-screen. And yet, early on we've got jokes about how pintsize can't handle more than 512mb of RAM, and yet he's still chugging along next to post-singularity hyperconciousnesses just fine without apparently getting an upgrade since the first few hundred comics.
The year in Questionable Content is "Now". Things that happened before happened "Then." Things in the future are "Soon."
Don't mind me.

Dandi Andi

• FIGHT YOU
  • They/them she/her. Formerly Pecoros7. Still tired.
« Reply #116 on: 21 Feb 2019, 21:17 »

You see it used as an insult on the internet much more than the r-word in the last five years or so, but it was becoming more widely known about in the early 90's. Rain Man came out in '88, so people definitely knew about it. It was made a special education category in '91, so it was gaining popularity as an alternative to "special" even while I was in elementary school. I wouldn't be surprised if at least some of her classmates would have used it derisively.

mikmaxs

« Reply #117 on: 21 Feb 2019, 21:22 »

Another thing I'd note is that, given what Brun says, it's unclear what the context of the original statement was. She considers the word to be an insult because of how her father reacted. We can guess that whoever called her autistic wasn't just providing a medical diagnosis, but it may have been, and if not it may have been a derisive or mean comment about her behavior, rather than being used as a pure insult in the way that the R-slur gets used on everything from people being bad at video games to "having strong opinions".

Either way, Brun interpreted her father's reaction, not the original comment - And even though we know she apparently had good parents by her estimation, it's not exactly uncommon for "good" parents to still react in gross or negative ways to the idea that their child might have a disability or disorder.

(EDIT: This is, of course, conjecture bordering upon fanfiction until we get confirmation one way or the other. I'm not sure if it's relevant to the plot at any rate.)
Don't mind me.

alanari

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #118 on: 21 Feb 2019, 21:41 »

Actually, I've never heard it being used as an insult outside the Internet. Doesn't seem to be that common where I live. Not usa though.
I'm having a weird kind of fun watching those people wiggle their way out of it when they do that in front of me. It helps that I am kind of the opposite of retarded. Still, it hurts. If I'm the one struggling with empathy, why are they the ones who don't care about my feelings at all?

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #119 on: 21 Feb 2019, 22:00 »

Because you're struggling with empathy.  They just don't care about being empathetic.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #120 on: 21 Feb 2019, 22:18 »

Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Hoodiecrow

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #121 on: 21 Feb 2019, 22:58 »

Hi everyone, newbie here (though I'm 53 years old, so I'm an OF at the same time). I actually don't know if I will become a regular, but I often have feels because of QC so who knows.

Brun's ASD reveal struck me like either lightning or a dagger in my heart, I don't know which yet.

Back when I got my diagnosis, autism was still fairly unknown and people had unfortunate preconceptions. My wife couldn't deal with it and eventually asked me for a divorce. My parents cried and tried to assure me that I couldn't possibly be so broken. The clinic that treated my depression just dropped me, telling me that Asperger's isn't an illness (true, but you still need some help learning how to deal with it painlessly), and the Social Insurance Agency told me that I was no longer eligible for any help to get back to work.

Stopped liking doctors? Well, yes, sort of. Felt I was the bogeyman? Absolutely. I hope it's better nowadays for people getting their diagnosis.

I realized today how uncomfortable I still am with this, because I've mostly blanked out the tells in Brun's behavior up to now. I haven't been liking her very much, perhaps that will change now. (And again, Jeph has told her story well.)

And of course the AI is better at empathy than many humans in the real world. :)
ADD, ASD, AvPD, OCD

Scarlet Manuka

« Reply #122 on: 21 Feb 2019, 23:19 »

Graphs are indeed cool.

That is all.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #123 on: 21 Feb 2019, 23:23 »

This is a 'hug Brun' moment, in my view. For Clinton, the situation is more complex, of course, because he is actually there and it's always more awkward and difficult to judge appropriate expressions of comfort and support in that context. The sort of saddest part of it is the fact that Brun immediately switches back to business; it seems to me that she doesn't even expect to receive empathy or comfort.

Something else that's awkward, as Kevin the Tellerbot has found out, is dealing with two perfect strangers having a real cathartic moment in front of you. Poor guy; working customer-facing jobs is never as easy as they tell you!

With regard to insulting uses of the word 'autistic' on the Internet, I, also, have only started seeing in the last few years but it isn't used that frequently. It's usually used to signify someone who, in the poster's perspective, is demonstrating a highly dogmatic and disproportionately emotional rejection of another's opinion. However, it is also (as with almost every other slur) is a synonym for "I say you're wrong and I say you're dumb".

In Brun's case, I suspect that it was probably used either by a peer or one of their parents in a "Hey! Look at the weird kid!" sort of way when she was still in grade school; in this case, it was a synonym for "Not Like Us".
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

alanari

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #124 on: 21 Feb 2019, 23:36 »

Back when I got my diagnosis, autism was still fairly unknown and people had unfortunate preconceptions. My wife couldn't deal with it and eventually asked me for a divorce. My parents cried and tried to assure me that I couldn't possibly be so broken. The clinic that treated my depression just dropped me, telling me that Asperger's isn't an illness (true, but you still need some help learning how to deal with it painlessly), and the Social Insurance Agency told me that I was no longer eligible for any help to get back to work.

Stopped liking doctors? Well, yes, sort of. Felt I was the bogeyman? Absolutely. I hope it's better nowadays for people getting their diagnosis.

Can't speak for anyone but myself. I'm in my thirties, I got my diagnosis a few years back. For my parents, nothing changed, really. They still saw me as me, they didn't care about a label. I have friends who told me that I couldn't be autistic, not because it would mean me being broken but because they didn't consider me weird enough.

Therapy is a problem. Most therapists won't take me in. Not because it's not a reason for treatment but because they don't think they can deal with me. I've found a therapist who can work with me, but my insurance doesn't cover it. I've got to pay that myself, which is unusual in my country. I can afford it though.

I've met my share of people who look down on me or stop talking to me when they learn about my diagnosis. And I've met a lot of people who helped me find a place for me in this world, who were understanding or patient when I couldn't do something. So, yes. It's getting better. But there's still work to do.

The sort of saddest part of it is the fact that Brun immediately switches back to business; it seems to me that she doesn't even expect to receive empathy or comfort.
That's something I do, too. Not expect any comfort after having told a sad story. Telling a sad story doesn't mean I'm sad. Even if it happened to me, it's a story, not something I'm experiencing right now. And if I wanted comfort, I'd ask for it, not wait for it. I'm more like the narrator in a book in moments like this. I'm stating what happened as a fact. You don't console a narrator for the story he's telling.

Gyrre

« Reply #125 on: 21 Feb 2019, 23:39 »

Actually, I've never heard it being used as an insult outside the Internet. Doesn't seem to be that common where I live. Not usa though.
I'm having a weird kind of fun watching those people wiggle their way out of it when they do that in front of me. It helps that I am kind of the opposite of retarded. Still, it hurts. If I'm the one struggling with empathy, why are they the ones who don't care about my feelings at all?
I've seen it used outside of the internet a few times now. Once was carved into a stall at a truck stop. Someone had carved; "Only autistic kids do this" with an indicator arrow pointing to a swastika someone had carved. I've also been asked and overheard someone asking someoneelse if they were autistic. Both times I asked the individual if they actually knew what the word meant.

Tangentially related, I have the opposite issue of over-empathy. It makes watching movies in public a bit trying as I'll get embarassed for the characters on screen.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

dawolf

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #126 on: 22 Feb 2019, 00:13 »

I'm mixed race, UK. I get asked sometimes. I don't care, it isn't something I've ever found rude. Similarly, I ask people where they are from. No-one has ever said it's rude.

Tolerance isn't just being accepting of other people, but also other countries ways of behaving or thinking. Just because America is in large part becoming extra woke doesn't mean that other groups/cultures/people who have a different appreciation of some of these things are doing it wrong.

Comparable example: in some societies, it's common to ask openly how much you earn. Others avoid the question and consider it rude.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #127 on: 22 Feb 2019, 00:26 »

Experience shows that within a short time, no two of them will read the same.

Clearly, you haven't met my brother. But then most people don't resort to reseating the hands to read absolutely accurately.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Drunken Old Man

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #128 on: 22 Feb 2019, 00:27 »

Speaking as some one who has spent twenty years in the field, it irks me when people misuse perfectly valid medical terminology.  Mental retardation was fine as a term until asshats ruined it by using it as a pejorative, now they're destroying autism as well.  The result?  Professionals like Brun's doctor sound like insensitive jerks when they're just trying to deliver a diagnosis.

Don't even get me started on "aspies".   That phrase makes me want to shove someone's head in a propellor.

Eternal_Newbie

« Reply #129 on: 22 Feb 2019, 02:34 »

Another misuse that drives me batty is all those asshat let's players on Youtube going "Oooh look how OCD I am! I bothered to do something properly instead of half-arsing it."

And autistic, aspergers  & the various staggeringly insulting veriations on it definitely have become an insult of choice, not just on the playground.
"Microsoft Kills Santa Claus" - The Register

chris73

• Beep Bop Boop
« Reply #130 on: 22 Feb 2019, 02:58 »

I get my asking someones ethnicity as a lead in to a come on is considered bad form but why is asking someones ethnicity or where they're from in general considered bad?

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #131 on: 22 Feb 2019, 03:13 »

I get my asking someones ethnicity as a lead in to a come on is considered bad form but why is asking someones ethnicity or where they're from in general considered bad?

This has been discussed at length over the last two weeks (ever since Peter, IMO, came out as a xenophile[1]) but, basically, it boils down to sounding as if you are saying: "I intend to judge and categorise you on the basis of your ethnicity." It can be and, in most cases, probably is just innocent curiosity motivated by the deeply rooted instinctive response to people who look and/or behaviour differently from our close family and general community. However, it has also been a lead in to attempting to somehow justify the exclusion of the person who is being asked the question, so a lot of people react negatively to the question.

When something upsets a lot of people, even if you cannot understand why, it's best simply not to do it.

----------
[1] Xenophile - Someone attracted to those who strongly present as another ethnicity
~~~~

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #132 on: 22 Feb 2019, 05:19 »

Another misuse that drives me batty is all those asshat let's players on Youtube going "Oooh look how OCD I am! I bothered to do something properly instead of half-arsing it."

And autistic, aspergers  & the various staggeringly insulting veriations on it definitely have become an insult of choice, not just on the playground.

I've tended to notice in Real Life (TM) people who claim to be autistic ( and then complain about football playing, cheerleading "normies", even though Canadian universities are not idealized American high schools), for shitposting purposes. It's an irritating trend, and it leads to people not taking actual autistic people seriously.

Poor Kevin; watching people have heartfelt talks in a bank line sounds stressful as all get-out.

Drunken Old Man

« Reply #133 on: 22 Feb 2019, 05:52 »

Oh God, the "I'm so OCD" thing.  Actual real OCD can be devastating, to the point of physical injury in extreme cases.  It's not...or shouldn't be...code for "holy shit, I took something seriously today."

mattcoz

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #134 on: 22 Feb 2019, 07:51 »

When something upsets a lot of people, even if you cannot understand why, it's best simply not to do it.
So, basically, never do anything.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #135 on: 22 Feb 2019, 08:08 »

No, only never do anything that you know will cause a lot of offence. If you can't get that distinction well... I guess there's no point continuing the conversation.
~~~~

oddtail

« Reply #136 on: 22 Feb 2019, 08:29 »

How did you jump from "this upsets a lot of people" to "never do anything"? I'd like to understand your reasoning here.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #137 on: 22 Feb 2019, 09:02 »

Depends on the person.  When it comes to siblings it just can’t be helped sometimes. :evil:

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #138 on: 22 Feb 2019, 09:08 »

Oh God, the "I'm so OCD" thing.  Actual real OCD can be devastating, to the point of physical injury in extreme cases.  It's not...or shouldn't be...code for "holy shit, I took something seriously today."

Tossers. Not worth talking to, not worth thinking about.

(Yes, I know. Do I ever know...)
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #139 on: 22 Feb 2019, 09:13 »

Responses like this are precisely what I had a long rant about in the last WCDT. I'm sure it isn't what you're doing, but it reads like deliberately choosing to not listen, understand or care.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

danilegg

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #140 on: 22 Feb 2019, 09:21 »

Am I the only one wondering why Kevin's speech bubble isn't squared like other AIs?

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #141 on: 22 Feb 2019, 09:36 »

Also: Shii-it, Brun!  :cry:

Gotta go & find a few things to kick, sry...
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning

Milayna

« Reply #142 on: 22 Feb 2019, 09:55 »

I think the first time I saw "autistic" as an insult was...oh, remember when wankers were crying about the new Star Wars, especially that woman whose name I can't remember (but who, not coincidentally, wasn't white. Yay racism!) I was reading a liberal blog post about it, which quoted one of the manbabies, which used "autistic" in a string of insults. It was a real "wtf" moment for me.

As for myself, I'm not aware of any instances when people disfavored me explicitly because of my diagnosis, though I'm pretty sure my bosses basically see me as "the hardworking retard" and I'm unpromotable. It's more, there are expectations of "normal", ranging from facial expressions and body language, to how to respond to nuances in spoken language that I just don't even notice. I'm pretty offputting irl, and people kind of...just don't want to deal with that, absent any specific prejudice. Can't blame them, really.

I'm so sorry all that happened to you, Hoodiecrow. I'd like to think that people aren't that explicitly terrible now. But screw those guys.

Yes, exactly. It's everyone else's fault. Go sit in your basement feeling sorry for yourself.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #143 on: 22 Feb 2019, 11:18 »

Hm. Just a thought, but if you’re claiming that everything you do upsets a lot of people, perhaps you might consider doing different things.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #144 on: 22 Feb 2019, 11:57 »

Therapy is a problem. Most therapists won't take me in. Not because it's not a reason for treatment but because they don't think they can deal with me. I've found a therapist who can work with me, but my insurance doesn't cover it. I've got to pay that myself, which is unusual in my country. I can afford it though.

"Wie Sie ja wissen, haben wir Versorgungsnotstand in Deutschland ... "  :x

I hear ya - I had a good counselor until recently (until I couldn't afford her anymore) , but she doesn't have a Kassenzulassung, and I wouldn't switch to private insurance even II did have the income. Last four therapists I contacted rejected me out of hand when they heard 'ADHD' -"I got my license in the 80s, we weren't taught about that stuff... "

There is this thing called professional development, guys ...
« Last Edit: 22 Feb 2019, 13:40 by Case »

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #145 on: 22 Feb 2019, 13:09 »

Hi everyone, newbie here (though I'm 53 years old, so I'm an OF at the same time). I actually don't know if I will become a regular, but I often have feels because of QC so who knows.
<snip>

Welcome, new person!

I had not realized how bad things were for people with ASD.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Sullivan

• Furry furrier
  • Speaker-to- ... um... hm.
« Reply #146 on: 22 Feb 2019, 13:25 »

Brun: "What really made me angry was when I realized how upset it made Renee."

Brun is "good people". <3

artag

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #147 on: 22 Feb 2019, 13:51 »

I'm mixed race, UK. I get asked sometimes. I don't care, it isn't something I've ever found rude. Similarly, I ask people where they are from. No-one has ever said it's rude.

It's not rude, in the UK. At least, not that I've ever noticed. It's actually one of the first things people ask, along with 'what do you do ?' (what is your employment ?).  Perhaps that's only amongst WASPs but I don't think so. If you're apparently anglo-saxon, the first thing is to attempt to recognise your accent for UK regions. If it's obvious but non-local it's likely to get a comment / request for confirmation. If it's ambiguous you get asked for clarification.

If accent or skin colour is clearly not UK you'll get asked where you come from, with an aspect of 'ooh, you're more interesting than average', not 'how strongly can I look down on you'. The only possibility of embarrassment is when you identify someone as exotic (a compliment) and discover they're actually third-generation english.

So I was truly amazed to discover here last week that it's offensive in USA-land. And a bit sorry for y'all.

Bloodyloon

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #148 on: 22 Feb 2019, 14:50 »

Well, I knew I felt an affinity with Brun, so I'm not surprised. Well written, and sympathetic Spectrum character. Thank you Jeph. I was diagnosed ASD before I had heard it used disparagingly, but I can definitely relate to her feelings on the use of the term. However, I've never felt like that part of myself was wrong or bad (Other parts, yes, because, y'know, human... ). I think characters like Brun (and Abed) are important in educating people who haven't encountered spectrum personalities before, as functional, if odd, people with emotional landscapes and empathy towards those around them. Too often I find ASD be represented as sociopathic or neurotic, which is damaging to the image of those on the spectrum, both externally and internally.

I was lucky, was diagnosed early, had Speech-Language therapy for 8 years, and had a loving and understanding home life. I have worked hard to learn social grace, and while I'm not perfect, I am a lot better than I used to be. A few messages to those on the spectrum who feel limited by it:

1. While social skills are not easily learned, they are learnable, and are well worth investing the time it takes to improve them.
2. Know what calms you down, learn the warning signs for meltdowns and do what you need to get into a calm environment before it gets to that point.A lot of overwhelm occurs because of sense overload, so finding ways to limit sense-data in socially appropriate ways is important.  For me that is intentional breath Meditation with closed eyes.
3. Love yourself, and take care of yourself in the ways you know are necessary, as you are ultimately the one responsible for your emotional state and your well being.
4. Request clear and direct communication! If you expect normal people to behave "rationally" you are going to be disappointed consistently.

I hope that will reach someone who needed to hear it. Back to lurking <3.

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #149 on: 22 Feb 2019, 14:54 »

So I was truly amazed to discover here last week that it's offensive in USA-land. And a bit sorry for y'all.
USA-land is big, and what's okay one place may be offensive as all hell in another. 

A friend of Mrs. Goat's moved down south.  Neighbors came around being Southern friendly (that's okay) and asked, "Have you got a church yet?"  That's definitely NOT okay on the west coast and especially unokay up here in the Pacific Northwest.  (She said she was tempted to reply, "No, we're still looking for a coven," but thought better of it.)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up