THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 16:28
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which is the best accents for halflings?

Devonshire                (Samwise LOTR trilogy)
Bristolian                   (Merry and Pippin LOTR trilogy)
Irish
Welsh
Yiddish
Cajun
Hawaiian
Maine
other (please specify)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3941-3945 (18-22 February 2019)  (Read 32221 times)

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
Re: WCDT Strips 3941-3945 (18-22 February 2019)
« Reply #200 on: 25 Feb 2019, 02:23 »

Quote from: Stella Young, writing a letter to her 80-year-old self.
...seventeen-year-old me started saying crip, it still horrifies people.

If you look to the bottom of this screen (unless you are not using the default), you will see that the forum theme we use as default (with my modifications) was designed and written by a person who called himself "Crip" online.  He was quadriplegic, and typed using a stick in his mouth.  His name below is a link to his obituary.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #201 on: 25 Feb 2019, 03:04 »

HOW HAVE I NOT NOTICED THIS
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Hoodiecrow

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #202 on: 25 Feb 2019, 05:05 »

The practice of referring to, say, you as a "person with asthma" as opposed to an asthmatic is called "person-centered thinking" and it's a very real part of the professional culture of the mental health care field.  Calling you asthmatic would also be considered a faux pas in this culture.  It's less about not using perjorative terms than preventing the creation of those terms to begin with.

When I mention this, I say that I am autistic, because it's a major part of my personality and identity. To say that I have autism would feel like I was talking about an affliction. But it does make sense that health care professionals would phrase it otherwise. Having been treated for depression on many occasions, I know that they typically use phrasing that at first seems strange but is designed mold the relationship between carer and patient in the right way.

$.02

ETA: And of course it turned out others (lurkylurk, mikmaxs) had already said the same thing, only better. Take it as me voicing agreement.
« Last Edit: 25 Feb 2019, 05:37 by Hoodiecrow »
ADD, ASD, AvPD, OCD
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up