THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 12:47
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which are the most probable apartment hunting shenanigans?

Kevin the bank teller turns out to be their neighbor
Brun and Reneé can only find 3 bedroom apartments and end up with Elliot as a flatmate
Brun and Reneé can only find 3 bedroom apartments and end up with Clinton as a flatmate
Brun and Reneé can only find 3 bedroom apartments and end up with Emily as a flatmate
Brun and Reneé can only find 3 bedroom apartments and end up with Roko as a flatmate
Brun and Reneé find Corpse Witch acting as a building manager
Clinton, Eliot, Brun and Reneé all unwittingly move into the same floor of the same apartment complex
Brun and Reneé become neighbors with Melon and Arthur
Brun and Reneé rent Mrs. Augustus's basement not knowing she's Clinton and Claire's mom
Their new apartment is "haunted". Turns out it's just one of Melon's sisters being stuck in a wall or something.
other speculation (please elaborate)

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3946-3950 (25th February - 1st March 2019)  (Read 26758 times)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Re: WCDT Strips 3946-3950 (25th February - 1st March 2019)
« Reply #100 on: 28 Feb 2019, 13:01 »

Union robotics could offer melon a flatrate on work time, and a reduced prize on parts, since she'll probably be a returning customer.

Do AIs get medicare ?

We know that May got no help from the authorities when she needed repairs, even though they issued her the junk body in the first place. There doesn't seem to be any social insurance program for AIs of working age, and there aren't any over 65.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #101 on: 28 Feb 2019, 14:19 »

May and Melon ought to be covered by MassHealth if nothing else - unless “equal rights for AIs” somehow doesn’t include health insurance. But this threatens to cross into real-world politics. I really don’t want to have another debate about how messed-up health care is in the US. Not going there. Wouldn’t be prudent.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #102 on: 28 Feb 2019, 17:47 »

It seems to be different in the QC world in any event.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #103 on: 28 Feb 2019, 19:11 »

I would imagine that health insurance for AIs would be at least different policies, if not different companies, just because the procedures and facilities required for AIs and humans would be completely distinct.

Humans need things like anaesthesia and blood transfusions and drugs and organ removal. AIs need things like firmware upgrades/fixes and metalwork and lubricants/coolants and part replacement. And yes, some of those things are analogous but they all require people with different skill sets and different equipment, and different costs, and so the agreements insurance companies have, and the feature sets of the policies, would be entirely different.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #104 on: 28 Feb 2019, 19:22 »

Comic!
Yes, be kind to bats. Also, anyone else follow the Museum of  English Rural Life on Twitter to watch the saga of MERLin unfold? If not, a bat got into their archives. It was above the librarian's paygrade, but another person who works there volunteers at a bat rescue. Merlin was caught, put under observation, and was later released. He has a library card!

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #105 on: 28 Feb 2019, 19:31 »

If you like bats, and if you suffer Facebook (I am sorry), may I suggest that you follow Batzilla the Bat? It's nice 13/10.

"I am a self funded volunteer who operates under a government permit to rescue, raise, rehabilitate and repatriate flying-foxes back to the wild.
The purpose of my page is to educate people to the beauty, fragility and necessity of all bat species and together we can make a difference to the lives of Australia’s only nocturnal, long distance pollinators and seed dispersers of native forests."
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #106 on: 28 Feb 2019, 20:22 »

Roko has a melon baller for scooping bread dough for mini-breads.  I use mine for cookies.

Do we have any evidence that Roko actually bakes, as opposed to haunting bakeries?

No.  We in fact have evidence to the contrary, with Roko's thing about being Elliot's apprentice.

However, facts can often be ignored en route to a bad joke. :)

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #107 on: 28 Feb 2019, 20:24 »

One wonders where Brun found a bat kin the first place. Looking for old clocks?

Milayna

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #108 on: 28 Feb 2019, 20:59 »

I lived for 10 years in the basement apartment of a single-family home with my friend. No windows in my room, so pitch black. Now I live on the top floor of a townhous. There's a window, so it gets light. It's annoying when I sleep during the day.

Also it appears that someone used a finite improbability drive to jump a circle of jar material into Renee's hair.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #109 on: 28 Feb 2019, 21:59 »

Now I miss Friend Bat (@ Scary go Round).

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #110 on: 28 Feb 2019, 23:30 »

Okay, there's a story here. Either Brun likes bats or, as Renee suggests (and I've wondered before), she's an expert at trolling and hiding it behind her usual deadpan demeanour! Either way, there is another reason to reject a cave: Living in a cave (real or artificial) is sometimes a symptom of trying to hide. I know that it's difficult but I think Brun would be happier not having to hide anymore.

Interesting bit of lore that Renee has known Brun since high school. I wonder if we'll ever get any flashbacks to mid-teen Renee and Brun?

I'm sorry, but I haven't been able to stop thinking this: What are Brun, Renee and Doing? Are they all sitting on high stools or something? From Clinton's posture, it looks like the counter is something like five feet high! He's not slouched or bending over to lean on the counter!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #111 on: 01 Mar 2019, 00:08 »

Comic!
Yes, be kind to bats. Also, anyone else follow the Museum of  English Rural Life on Twitter to watch the saga of MERLin unfold? If not, a bat got into their archives. It was above the librarian's paygrade, but another person who works there volunteers at a bat rescue. Merlin was caught, put under observation, and was later released. He has a library card!

It's a student card, not a library card. And that card claims he has a PhD.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #112 on: 01 Mar 2019, 01:33 »

Bats are adorable. But, yeah, don't touch them if you don't know exactly what you are doing.

"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

Tai Fanboi

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • DeadWinter
« Reply #113 on: 01 Mar 2019, 04:46 »

Sky Puppies.
Oh god, I should've drunk more so I wouldn't remember that.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #114 on: 01 Mar 2019, 06:03 »

One wonders where Brun found a bat kin the first place. Looking for old clocks?
Maybe in a diamond?  :clairedoge:

All other answers are suspect  :psyduck:
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #115 on: 01 Mar 2019, 06:57 »

I remember years ago, I heard a noise in the bathroom in the middle of the night. I got up and went to investigate. A bat had flown in through the window and had gotten confused. Cue half an hour of me clad in a hoodie and rubber gloves, trying to get the bat onto a broom so I could get him outside (I didn't want to pick him up in case I hurt him). Well anyway, I got the bat outside and he instantly calmed down and was about to take off....when the neighbours cat pounced on him.

I never did like that cat.

Theta9

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Not even that gay.
« Reply #116 on: 01 Mar 2019, 12:17 »

I really can't fault the cat. A bat is basically a flying mouse. I believe that's what the German word fliedermaus translates to.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #117 on: 01 Mar 2019, 12:45 »

I really can't fault the cat. A bat is basically a flying mouse. I believe that's what the German word fliedermaus translates to.

Nope, a Fliedermaus would be a 'lilacmouse'. A German bat is a Fledermaus  - lit. Fluttermouse -  and when it crosses the border into the Netherlands, it becomes a vleermuis.

:-D

(German word for flying is fliegen, which sounds about right, yet it turns out that's not the root of 'fleder' - but I'll admit I had to look up the etymology myself)
« Last Edit: 01 Mar 2019, 12:54 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

TheEvilDog

« Reply #118 on: 01 Mar 2019, 14:08 »

Bats are actually far more popular with farmers, to the point where no one considers them vermin, best insect control in the world.

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #119 on: 01 Mar 2019, 14:11 »

Bats are actually far more popular with farmers, to the point where no one considers them vermin, best insect control in the world.
Swallows and other tweetiebirds take the bug control day shift and bats work nights.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #120 on: 01 Mar 2019, 14:25 »

I really can't fault the cat. A bat is basically a flying mouse.

Imagine if you saw a flying fox.  8-)

They are important pollinators as well.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #121 on: 01 Mar 2019, 15:03 »

Nope, a Fliedermaus would be a 'lilacmouse'. A German bat is a Fledermaus  - lit. Fluttermouse ....
Fledermaus, that's what I meant. It's been like 35 years since my two semesters of German in middle school.
stePH
--

Y

• Curry sauce
« Reply #122 on: 01 Mar 2019, 15:36 »

I once mailed a dead bat to the public health department in a letter, after keeping it it in my freezer for a night. It was a present from my cat.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #123 on: 01 Mar 2019, 16:22 »

True, I reckon. True.

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #124 on: 01 Mar 2019, 16:26 »

Nope, a Fliedermaus would be a 'lilacmouse'. A German bat is a Fledermaus  - lit. Fluttermouse ....
Fledermaus, that's what I meant. It's been like 35 years since my two semesters of German in middle school.

And you still remember the Fluttermouse!?!  :-o :laugh: (It is an odd word - in modern standard high German, it should, by rights, be Flattermaus. Methinks its a survivor from an older variant of German. Cornelius?)

Speaking of oddly-named rodent(oid)s - "Can you say Eichhörnchen?"

Canadian: Say Squirrel!
German:    Skwee-rooll?

German:    Can you say Eichhörnchen?
Canadian: *Gauge-Chicken*?
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #125 on: 01 Mar 2019, 16:39 »

And you still remember the Fluttermouse!?!  :-o :laugh: (It is an odd word - in modern standard high German, it should, by rights, be Flattermaus. Methinks its a survivor from an older variant of German. Cornelius?)

Well, Die Fledermaus is the name of a very popular operetta.

That's the only reason I know the word, myself.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #126 on: 01 Mar 2019, 16:48 »

You reminded me of Benedict Cumberbatch being unable to say "penguin."

cybersmurf

« Reply #127 on: 02 Mar 2019, 00:01 »

Speaking of oddly-named rodent(oid)s - "Can you say Eichhörnchen?"

Let me one-up you with Austrian German. We have another word for Squirrel: Eichkätzchen (literally translates as "oak kitten"). And of course, as the bastards we are, we almost never say that word in without falling in one of our dialects, it would be transcribed to german as "Oachkatzl", and then we get to our favorite linguistical torture device - the "Oachkatzlschwoaf". Except for Bavarians maybe, even Germans need a few tries to pronounce that right.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #128 on: 02 Mar 2019, 00:06 »

You reminded me of Benedict Cumberbatch being unable to say "penguin."

And now we know why he will never play Batman…
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #129 on: 02 Mar 2019, 04:30 »

Nope, a Fliedermaus would be a 'lilacmouse'. A German bat is a Fledermaus  - lit. Fluttermouse -  and when it crosses the border into the Netherlands, it becomes a vleermuis.

(German word for flying is fliegen, which sounds about right, yet it turns out that's not the root of 'fleder' - but I'll admit I had to look up the etymology myself)

In french, we say "chauve-souris", which means "bald mouse". I don't know why...
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

oddtail

« Reply #130 on: 02 Mar 2019, 04:44 »

In french, we say "chauve-souris", which means "bald mouse". I don't know why...

The Polish word is "nietoperz", and I actually had to look up where it came from, because it doesn't look readily like any word (other than the "nie-" component, which is the Polish word for "no" or "not"). Apparently the word has had multiple historical variations, but it might come from "nietopierz", which roughly means, if you squint, "something that is not feathered". Makes sense, I guess.

I find it interesting that bats don't have their "own" name in certain languages, but the names rather point to them being like something (a mouse) or not like something (arguably not like a bird, in Polish).

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #131 on: 02 Mar 2019, 06:50 »

I find it interesting that bats don't have their "own" name in certain languages, but the names rather point to them being like something (a mouse) or not like something (arguably not like a bird, in Polish).

Errrrrrrh ...   :-\

The German Animal Names Flowchart

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #132 on: 02 Mar 2019, 07:20 »

So long as we're wildly off-topic here ... a song about squirrels.
(Don't worry, that's just the album cover)

stePH
--

hakko504

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek
« Reply #133 on: 02 Mar 2019, 10:17 »

Speaking of languages. Here's a story about how to decline the word "dog". Spolier because it's a bit long. Found here
(click to show/hide)
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

Case

• comeback tour!
« Reply #134 on: 02 Mar 2019, 12:26 »

Speaking of languages. Here's a story about how to decline the word "dog". Spolier because it's a bit long. Found here
(click to show/hide)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finnish_grammar

Fifteen cases ...  :-o

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #135 on: 02 Mar 2019, 14:41 »

I seriously hope that Finnish does not have a lot of irregular nouns...

oddtail

« Reply #136 on: 03 Mar 2019, 02:54 »

At that point, I just had to look up what language has the most cases. Wikipedia helpfully offered the Tsez language native to Russia, with a bit over 10 000 native speakers:

There are eight syntactical and a much larger number of locative cases, which distinguish three categories: location, orientation, and direction. Thus, counting the locative and non-locative cases together, there are a total of 64 cases.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #137 on: 03 Mar 2019, 08:36 »

Which reminds me of a pun.

So this noun and this verb were flirting in a bar and it's going really well. So well, in fact, that after a while the verb leans over and whispers "Wanna conjugate?".

The noun declined.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

OldGoat

« Reply #138 on: 03 Mar 2019, 08:44 »

Finnish: And now the plural forms....[/spoiler]
The next door neighbors when I was growing up were Suomi and often spoke Finnish.  No wonder I never picked up a word of it.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #139 on: 03 Mar 2019, 08:58 »

I once heard a joke somewhere (I forget where), that the reason the Roman Empire went extinct was because Latin was too complicated to learn. I'm sure the original joke is much better than my telling of it...
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #141 on: 03 Mar 2019, 20:06 »

That reminds of a bit from a webcomic where a grad student refers to one of his professors as a 'Grammar Roman', which is apparently even more extreme than a 'grammar nazi'.

I once heard a joke somewhere (I forget where), that the reason the Roman Empire went extinct was because Latin was too complicated to learn. I'm sure the original joke is much better than my telling of it...
I know Eddie Izzard does a bit on that.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #142 on: 03 Mar 2019, 20:08 »

I know Eddie Izzard does a bit on that.
I think that may be where I remember it from.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Scarlet Manuka

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #143 on: 04 Mar 2019, 19:47 »

Well then... another song about squirrels.

OldGoat

« Reply #144 on: 05 Mar 2019, 07:34 »

Well then... another song about squirrels.
And another about their close kin.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up