THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:48
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The QC Pokémon League - Which Trainer and Pokémon do you support?

Marten & Ratticate (Because Marten and the most common species of all seems right)
- 1 (4.2%)
Faye & Primeape (Fighting type, of course)
- 1 (4.2%)
Dora & Haunter (Spooky!)
- 1 (4.2%)
Pintsize & Lickitung (Just seemed right)
- 5 (20.8%)
Claire & Pikachu (the two fit together, IMO)
- 2 (8.3%)
Bubbles & Scisor (Warrior steel-type, of course)
- 6 (25%)
Clinton & Porygon
- 1 (4.2%)
Roko & Growlithe (in the memory of Officer Jenny)
- 3 (12.5%)
Brun & Remoraid (closest thing to a harpoon Pokémon)
- 2 (8.3%)
Tai & Butterfree (dust-using Pokémon fits her)
- 2 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 3951-3955 (4th to 8th March 2019)  (Read 24266 times)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
WCDT strips 3951-3955 (4th to 8th March 2019)
« on: 03 Mar 2019, 11:28 »

Okay, as a new set of Pokémon games are out, I thought I'd do something in line with them. I stopped seriously following the franchise years ago, but I still think I can make connections up to the Houen-based game.

I think I'll be cheering on Marten because I'm always a sucker for the underdog!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

TV4Fun

• Balloon animal serial killer
Re: WCDT strips 3951-3955 (4th to 8th March 2019)
« Reply #1 on: 03 Mar 2019, 19:44 »

Comic.

Doesn't sound like high school was the best part of Jed's life.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #2 on: 03 Mar 2019, 19:48 »

Epic burn.

Quite a bit of truth to it.

A guy I went to school with went to a reunion. He met one of the bullies who had beaten him up on the school bus.

My friend was using his physics PhD programming the most powerful computers in the world to simulate galaxies colliding.

The bully was pursuing a career in his own line of work, that of bagging groceries.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #3 on: 03 Mar 2019, 19:55 »

I've never gone to any of my high school reunions. Occasionally, I find myself wondering how some of the scumbags delightful people I knew in high school are doing. Then I find something better to do instead.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #4 on: 03 Mar 2019, 20:03 »

Hmmm, goth Renee.  Which makes me wonder if Renee and Dora have ever met.  They might have some stories to swap.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #5 on: 03 Mar 2019, 20:21 »

And we have a last name for Brun!  Yay!

I wonder what the mean girls who bullied me in middle school are doing now.  Probably soccer moms and professionals of some sort.  If I could be bothered to remember their names I might look them up on Facebook one of these days...

TheEvilDog

« Reply #6 on: 03 Mar 2019, 20:26 »

Hmmm, my school reunion...well, three guys died in separate car crashes before they were 30, one died of a drugs overdose. One has just become an executive and suffered a breakdown because of the 100 hour weeks he was doing. Another has gone off the grid. All in all, while I won't be going to any reunion, I don't think I'm doing too badly.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #7 on: 03 Mar 2019, 20:33 »

Way to go, Brun.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #8 on: 03 Mar 2019, 21:29 »

Critical Hit!

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #9 on: 03 Mar 2019, 22:22 »

I've never gone to any of my high school reunions. Occasionally, I find myself wondering how some of the scumbags delightful people I knew in high school are doing. Then I find something better to do instead.
Ditto. Granted, I'm not sure if we've had any.

Epic burn.

Quite a bit of truth to it.

A guy I went to school with went to a reunion. He met one of the bullies who had beaten him up on the school bus.

My friend was using his physics PhD programming the most powerful computers in the world to simulate galaxies colliding.

The bully was pursuing a career in his own line of work, that of bagging groceries.
The physical bullying stopped as abruptly as it started. Two of said 'shithead enabler jocks' tried to stuff me in a locker. My shoulders were a bit too broad for the door to close (despite being 5'5" and a sophmore). And, when I pushed the door open on them, both immediately fled before I could see who it was.

Still had to deal with the verbal bullying all 4 years, though.

EDIT: typo fix.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #10 on: 03 Mar 2019, 23:18 »

This strip feeds into my belief that Brun has far better understanding of what she's saying than she lets on, at least sometimes. It's just  that her experiences have taught her a deadpan delivery of her dry, ironic burns and witty observations that is nearly impossible to differentiate from when she's genuinely failing to catch on to the subtleties and contradictions of everyday human social behaviour.

I think that the dog puns are when she's deliberately trying to be wacky and fun. Like most deadpan people, she's not good at wacky and fun, which is why they seem so forced.

FWIW, I think that Brun had been looking for an opportunity to pass on her dad's wisdom to Jed. She's been looking for the right opening for a very long time!

Hmmm, goth Renee.  Which makes me wonder if Renee and Dora have ever met.  They might have some stories to swap.

IIRC, Dora said that her goth phase was mostly her rejection of her parents' lifestyles and standards although her paranoia also had a huge part of it. These days, I get the impression that Dora mostly still wears dark clothes and dyes her hair black because she likes it rather than it sending any particular message about her as a person. Tai has been good for her.

~~~~

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #11 on: 03 Mar 2019, 23:45 »

As true as Jeph's line about bully-enablers rings, and as satisfying as the idea of uttering that one line that silences your bullies may feel, in my experience, that line would have either been laughed off or would have motivated a doubling of whatever bullying prompted it.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #12 on: 04 Mar 2019, 00:37 »

Panel 4 never happens.

I've had one reunion. A third of my class had died - suicide or suspicious accident. For the rest, the 'Sports heroes' idolised by the PE-teacher - they're in the national youth teams, don't you know? - were either selling shoes or insurance. The main bully did not show up - rumour has it he has a steady relationship with a bottle, or two. Surprisingly, the girl that wanted to be mother of twelve seems to be on track - and is manager of the after school day care.
« Last Edit: 04 Mar 2019, 00:43 by Cornelius »
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #13 on: 04 Mar 2019, 01:00 »

Same here. Though, according to IICIH, maybe we should?  :evil:

P.S.: Of course I've watched the usual US high-school movie classics, but it never ceases to amaze me when I realize that people actually go through this. It's ... different over here. Also stupid and brutish, in its own way, but ... different. There's jocks, of course, but they’re not doted over in the same way, or encouraged to advertise their class-consciousness with clothing. We don't have so many rituals seemingly designed to encourage cliqueishness and social stratification. When I first heard about a US high school publishing the results of  'popularity contests', I couldn't believe it - why not just chug a bunch of knives into class, lock the door and wait for the screaming to die down? Also, most schools aren't day schools, so you aren't forced to spend the whole day with the same people.

And the tripartite school-system means there's an early selection after elementary school ... people aren't encouraged to 'be competitive' in the same way, but at the same time the system is deeply classist (not really elitist, not in the strict meaning of the word, just very, very unconcerned with how education pathways influence upward mobility. It's very good at producing a large, well-trained professional class (especially engineers), but there exist no elite Unis in the UK/US sense, or cadre-schools like the French CNRS), and you mostly don't realize that there actually had been a competition going on until you've already won or lost it.

Hugs for the 'Merricans?
« Last Edit: 04 Mar 2019, 10:08 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #14 on: 04 Mar 2019, 01:30 »

Panel 4 never happens.

I've had one reunion. A third of my class had died - suicide or suspicious accident. For the rest, the 'Sports heroes' idolised by the PE-teacher - they're in the national youth teams, don't you know? - were either selling shoes or insurance. The main bully did not show up - rumour has it he has a steady relationship with a bottle, or two. Surprisingly, the girl that wanted to be mother of twelve seems to be on track - and is manager of the after school day care.

I never bothered to look for my former classmates, except for the one who was my friend and still is. So all I know I heard by accident. One girl I knew from kindergarten is my bank clerk. Another couldn't study because of major health issues and is cashier in a supermarket, which is sad. My buddy is salesman for tooling machines.
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #15 on: 04 Mar 2019, 01:34 »

Those bullies asked for Brun to say something weird. She was happy to oblige. Enjoy!

Another illustration that you have to be careful what you ask for. But let's see it in a positive way: maybe the powerful kick in the ass Brun gave them propelled them in the right direction, and so they stopped being assholes. Who knows?

Milayna

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #16 on: 04 Mar 2019, 01:38 »

When I went to my hs reunion, everyone was working at a meeting-ends-meet type job and living with their parents or other relatives. I live in one of the richest counties in the nation. You're either one of the power brokers in the washington-military complex, or one of the service/retail people they buy from.

I almost never got bullied, surprisingly. I don't know exactly why, though it could have been that everybody was afraid of me. After I graduated, someone I don't recall ever talking to added me on Facebook; a couple of years later he got drunk and messaged me to say the he always thought I'd be the one to snap and shoot up the school. Was kinda surreal.

There was a time in grade school, though, when a classmate at lunch came over and asked if I liked buns. I was suspicious and asked what kind of buns, he said "You know, like hot dog buns" and hey, I like bread, so I said yeah, sure. He ran away laughing with his buds.

I don't know how much bullying went on at my schools, actually, since I didn't really pay attention to most other people. Considering the secondary school had thousands of students, I'd expect it to be significant, but it could have just been that we had a relatively nice student body.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #17 on: 04 Mar 2019, 02:25 »

And we have a last name for Brun!  Yay!

Indeed and like Peter the Prick we can thank Jed the Jock for providing a last name.  At least they’re good for unintentional exposition.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #18 on: 04 Mar 2019, 02:42 »

Same here. Though, according to IICIH, maybe we should?  :evil:

hahahahahahaahahahaha no
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #19 on: 04 Mar 2019, 04:16 »

Isn't today's poll missing a question or an explanatory sentence?

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #20 on: 04 Mar 2019, 04:21 »

It used to have one... not sure what happened to it.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #21 on: 04 Mar 2019, 05:10 »

It used to have one... not sure what happened to it.
It's back. So it's Pokemon related. I have no knowledge whatsoever on that subject.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #22 on: 04 Mar 2019, 05:12 »

Which is why the poll needed a “Pizza Girl & Purple Monkey Dishwasher” option.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

TinPenguin

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Cogito ergo potato.
« Reply #23 on: 04 Mar 2019, 05:13 »

I suppose Brunhilde is one hell of a name to Khoury through life.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #24 on: 04 Mar 2019, 05:16 »

Which is why the poll needed a “Pizza Girl & Purple Monkey Dishwasher” option.

The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #25 on: 04 Mar 2019, 05:51 »

Someone on the Subreddit said that Brun's paternal wisdom in panels 3 and 4 sound like something Daria would say. That's when I realised that I have had Tracey Grandstaff's voice for Daria as my mental voice for Brun for some time. Given that I've never seen a full episode of Daria and am literally going off of a dozen or so meme clips, that's an impressive achievement on Ms Grandstaff's part!

I also note that Brun is wearing Daria's colours in her flashback, so I'm wondering if she was Jeph's inspiration for the character on some level.
~~~~

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #26 on: 04 Mar 2019, 07:31 »

Someone on the Subreddit said that Brun's paternal wisdom in panels 3 and 4 sound like something Daria would say. That's when I realised that I have had Tracey Grandstaff's voice for Daria as my mental voice for Brun for some time. Given that I've never seen a full episode of Daria and am literally going off of a dozen or so meme clips, that's an impressive achievement on Ms Grandstaff's part!

I also note that Brun is wearing Daria's colours in her flashback, so I'm wondering if she was Jeph's inspiration for the character on some level.
I never watched Daria but I've seen the character a few times on Beavis and Butthead.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #27 on: 04 Mar 2019, 07:32 »

I'm another who couldn't be arsed to attend any high school reunions. Or any reunions at all.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

Sullivan

• Furry furrier
  • Speaker-to- ... um... hm.
« Reply #28 on: 04 Mar 2019, 08:50 »

As true as Jeph's line about bully-enablers rings, and as satisfying as the idea of uttering that one line that silences your bullies may feel, in my experience, that line would have either been laughed off or would have motivated a doubling of whatever bullying prompted it.
Brun's zinger reminds me of this from the character "Aaron Altman" in Broadcast News:

(Aaron, the class valedictorian, is being beat up after delivering his commencement address, which was highly critical of his classmates)
Aaron: Go ahead Steven, take your last licks. But this will heal. What I’m going to say never will. It’ll scar you forever. Ready? Here it is. You’ll never make more than $19,000 a year. Ha ha ha!
Steven: Take him.
Aaron: Okay, how about this? You’re never gonna leave South Boston and I’m gonna see the whole damn world. You’ll never know the pleasure of writing a priceless sentence. Or having an original thought. Think about it!
Steven: $19,000. Not bad!

NemesisDancer

• Larger than most fish
  • :3
« Reply #29 on: 04 Mar 2019, 09:57 »

Anyone else notice the incredibly early-2000s trousers in panel 2? :')

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #30 on: 04 Mar 2019, 10:35 »

This strip also establishes their relative ages.  I'd always had it in my head that Renee was somewhat older than Brun.  If she is, it's not my much.

Milayna

« Reply #31 on: 04 Mar 2019, 10:58 »

This strip also establishes their relative ages.  I'd always had it in my head that Renee was somewhat older than Brun.  If she is, it's not my much.
Not surprising, seeing as Renee acts like she's Brun's carer.

Dandi Andi

• FIGHT YOU
  • They/them she/her. Formerly Pecoros7. Still tired.
« Reply #32 on: 04 Mar 2019, 11:11 »

I hadn't noticed at first, but now that you mention it those do look a lot like JNCOs.

OldGoat

« Reply #33 on: 04 Mar 2019, 11:55 »

I hadn't noticed at first, but now that you mention it those do look a lot like JNCOs.
JNCOs?  Oh, shoplifters' jeans!

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #34 on: 04 Mar 2019, 11:57 »

I am also one of those who have missed re-unions.
I always seem to find out about them well after the date.
Funny that I now live not all that far from my old high school.
:psyduck:

As for physical bullying, that was all through primary, grade and middle school but disappeared in high school. The main instigators started in kindergarten in a completely different part of the city but when my family moved, their family followed not 3 months latter, so my reprieve from physical violence was limited.
My guess is that their intramural [wrestling team] took up so much of their free time on top of them being in a different stream, which negated any chance encounters.

As for jocks, they were there but I never hit their radar until senior year when I got an invite to the annual athletic banquette and through no fault of my own got a Sr.Letter - turns out I was technically a jock the whole time for being involved in archery on top of all the smaller less popular clubs
(click to show/hide)
  Funny that I wasn't invited until Sr year when there was a new advisor to the athletic association.

As for what happened to my classmates. I had pretty much lost touch / track of all of them within the first decade. Now I am back in contact with a few of them and know of a few others thanks to local groups formed on Facebook or just a friend of a friend reconnecting us.
There are some I really would like to reconnect with once again even if I wasn't a major blip on their radar at the time.
One I still have a pocket of buried anger for if I think of them. It used to be rage but that fire has slowly, very slowly, ebbed over the years.
Why they did what they did to indelibly character assassinate me from the shadows I still don't know.

:facepalm: ... I ran on for a bit there.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

cybersmurf

« Reply #35 on: 04 Mar 2019, 14:08 »

Did we ever learn where Brun's parents are from? Well, we now know that probably Brun's father was Lebanese (given her parents were married, which I assume a highly likely), and the question is: was Brun's mother of German descent, or did her parents just like the name?
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #36 on: 04 Mar 2019, 15:15 »

I think there's been no mention in the comic.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

cybersmurf

« Reply #37 on: 04 Mar 2019, 15:24 »

OK, then it's the WCDT parts I vaguely remember.

Interestingly, I do like the ring 'Brun Khoury' has.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

OldGoat

« Reply #38 on: 04 Mar 2019, 15:50 »

OK, then it's the WCDT parts I vaguely remember.

Interestingly, I do like the ring 'Brun Khoury' has.
I'd expect "Brunhilde Khoury" to be followed by "PhD."   Sounds like a name for a high level archeologist or something like that, a researcher in horology, and the leading authority on Near/Middle Eastern timepieces.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #39 on: 04 Mar 2019, 16:05 »

Did we ever learn where Brun's parents are from? Well, we now know that probably Brun's father was Lebanese (given her parents were married, which I assume a highly likely), and the question is: was Brun's mother of German descent, or did her parents just like the name?

Given the name's 'popularity' among Germans & Austrians, it's almost more likely that none of her parents were either.

And it's not like Wagner is a complete unknown abroad.
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Dandi Andi

• FIGHT YOU
  • They/them she/her. Formerly Pecoros7. Still tired.
« Reply #40 on: 04 Mar 2019, 16:38 »

As to the poll question:

Of course Bubbles would have a Scizor. No doubt his name would be Arthur.

As to the discussion of high school and bullies:

I had a graduating class of just over 200 people. I don't remember most of the people I went to school with nor do I care to.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #41 on: 04 Mar 2019, 17:14 »

And it's not like Wagner is a complete unknown abroad.

I do recall (if a bit fuzzily) early on in "Seven Pillars of Wisdom", Lawrence writing about a night where a British officer and a high-up in the Arab Revolt were both talking shit about Wagner.  The world has grown MUCH smaller since 1916.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Datalore

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #42 on: 04 Mar 2019, 18:47 »

I've said things like panel 4 just because "those are the things people say."

I rely on what I call scripts, also known as imperfect copying. As far as I can tell you guys all have some sort of telepathy or something that signals what 'script' is the appropriate one to engage when and how. Things like clunky dialogue or "People don't actually talk like that," are harder for me to determine because I've seen clunky dialogue as a thing that exists in the world (even if only creatively) and it seems to function just as well as other dialogue that for some reason is what people say. Who decides what's clunky and what's natural, and what's the criteria? How do you assess that while you're in the middle of a conversation, and also how do you account for the way language and specifically vernacular changes over time? etc. The answer to most of that is Autistic = Manual, and Allistic = Automatic, but that's another conversation entirely.

In any case, high school me saw things that resembled today's comic and decided, "Ah yes, this is the way #NormalPeople stand up to bullies. This is the way it must be done," and just up and ran with it like it was normal because as far as I could tell, it was. To me, that was how people talked.

Which I really love here because it's a comic strip about an autistic person standing up to bullies by repeating things she'd heard other people say in a different context. The context is wrong though, so it comes off as clunky (The dad probably did say all of that, but as far as Brun's concerned the line between the first bit and the closing zinger is probably invisible) but there are probably a bunch of autistic kids reading today's strip and filing it away as yet another example of that sort of dialogue being used, and the cycle continues. And because people rarely stand up to bullies like that in a way you can witness and learn from in real life, fiction is where 100% of your examples for "how to deal with this social situation" come from. Basically what I'm getting at is it might be unrealistic dialogue, but that's ironically exactly what makes it realistic in this case.

Also, hi! I've been reading since before Jeph quit his job, but just never got around to making an account.

Milayna

« Reply #43 on: 04 Mar 2019, 19:57 »

If you tuned into the Xcom stream last week you'd have seen Brun's last name early, but anyway, is there anyone here who knows proper pronuncation of "Khoury"? I googled an Arabic/Moroccan pronunciation of "khouri" that sounded like "hoo-ree", but also got results from elsewhere in the world that pronounce the K, and Morocco isn't anywhere near Lebanon.

Also, has anyone noticed any physical differences in Roko's new body?

Oh and uh...What was her name, Butterbot? is INCREDIBLY anime in the first panel.
« Last Edit: 04 Mar 2019, 20:04 by Milayna »

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #44 on: 04 Mar 2019, 20:21 »

Comic.

Doesn't sound like high school was the best part of Jed's life.

I dunno - considering the fatality rate of wingsuit jumps, it sounds to me like Jed might have a death wish...
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #45 on: 04 Mar 2019, 20:22 »

Oh and uh...What was her name, Butterbot? is INCREDIBLY anime in the first panel.
Beepatrice.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Valakhan

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #46 on: 04 Mar 2019, 20:37 »

is there anyone here who knows proper pronuncation of "Khoury"?

The "kh" is supposed to make a sound similar to the "ch" in the German "Nacht". It's similar to a h sound, but harsher and coming from the back of the mouth rather than from the throat. There is no real equivalent in English though, so it's hard to describe.

For the little story, Khoury means priest in levantine dialect. In modern standard Arabic, priest is qas or kahin, but khoury is the way they say priest in Lebanon, Jordan, Syria, etc.

It's a name very common in the Christian community in Lebanon, and by extension in other Christian minorities in all the middle east. The most famous person with that name was Besharra Al-Khoury, one of the leaders of the Lebanese independance, the first president of independent Lebanon and one of the craftsmen of the National Pact, which is the separation of powers between the different religious communities in Lebanon, where for example the presidency is held by Christians, the prime minister by Sunnis and the head of Parliament by Shias.

Given that, we can safely assume that Brun's father is a Christian Lebanese. Given Brun's apparent age, it is likely that her father was a refugee from the Civil War and met her mother in the US. Of course it's possible that he wasn't a refugee as even before the war there was a big Lebanese diaspora around the world, but it would be interesting if he was one.

Refugees and their integration is a topic very dear to me, so having him be a former refugee could help shed light on the challenges those people have to face when in a new country, a topic that is sadly still relevant nowadays.

By the way hi! Long time reader, just found out the forum

Gyrre

« Reply #47 on: 04 Mar 2019, 21:05 »

Nearly got me expelled.
"People like you are why Columbine happened."

BTW, 1) not trying to one-up anyone, 2) this was back in 2001 or 2002, and 3) I now know that wasn't the whole of the cause for that tragedy.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Milayna

« Reply #48 on: 04 Mar 2019, 21:11 »

Thanks Valakhan! Wow, I kind of pride myself an being relatively aware of the world, geographically, but that is a lot of stuff that I've never even heard of! As an American, I know very broadly of Israel's history and relation to the Arab world (1967 war, etc) and I know of Christian Arabs, but I hear almost nothing of the history of other nations. In just one paragraph you've mentioned several historical events I knew nothing of. I know it's presumptuous of me to ask, but if you have any more lessons to share, I'm all ears!

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #49 on: 04 Mar 2019, 21:57 »

I've said things like panel 4 just because "those are the things people say."

I rely on what I call scripts, also known as imperfect copying. As far as I can tell you guys all have some sort of telepathy or something that signals what 'script' is the appropriate one to engage when and how. Things like clunky dialogue or "People don't actually talk like that," are harder for me to determine because I've seen clunky dialogue as a thing that exists in the world (even if only creatively) and it seems to function just as well as other dialogue that for some reason is what people say.
<snip>
Basically what I'm getting at is it might be unrealistic dialogue, but that's ironically exactly what makes it realistic in this case.

Hi, new person!

I can certainly relate to what you're saying here.

I'm not sure whom you are referring to because I didn't think anyone was saying that Brun's dialogue was "clunky" or that "people don't actually talk like that." I personally did not think her dialogue was unrealistic, because I did do exactly that when I was at school. I was hopeless at dealing with bullies, so I often re-used lines. Stuff Mum had said, stuff Dad had said, stuff that I'd read.

In the worst case, it would backfire spectacularly when what I said sounded stupid was or incredibly uncool, earning myself merciless mocking that I could have avoided by simply shutting up.

Best case was that the line would hit home. That happened rarely, thankfully, because that generally ended badly for me as well.

So, what am I saying? Brun's line was certainly believable as far as I was concerned. It's only the bullies' stunned reaction to it that I didn't buy. It only affects us because we have the benefit of hindsight and can see the truth of what Brun is saying. These bullies I daresay would neither have comprehended what Brun was saying nor would they have given two shits about it even if they had.

Nice fantasy, though.

NEW COMIC
*reads*
njdnasjdaodhae
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up