THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 13:16
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The QC Pokémon League - Which Trainer and Pokémon do you support?

Marten & Ratticate (Because Marten and the most common species of all seems right)
- 1 (4.2%)
Faye & Primeape (Fighting type, of course)
- 1 (4.2%)
Dora & Haunter (Spooky!)
- 1 (4.2%)
Pintsize & Lickitung (Just seemed right)
- 5 (20.8%)
Claire & Pikachu (the two fit together, IMO)
- 2 (8.3%)
Bubbles & Scisor (Warrior steel-type, of course)
- 6 (25%)
Clinton & Porygon
- 1 (4.2%)
Roko & Growlithe (in the memory of Officer Jenny)
- 3 (12.5%)
Brun & Remoraid (closest thing to a harpoon Pokémon)
- 2 (8.3%)
Tai & Butterfree (dust-using Pokémon fits her)
- 2 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 3951-3955 (4th to 8th March 2019)  (Read 24269 times)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Re: WCDT strips 3951-3955 (4th to 8th March 2019)
« Reply #50 on: 04 Mar 2019, 22:00 »

To datalore and to valakhan,

Welcome, new person!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #51 on: 04 Mar 2019, 22:27 »

Re: Tova's and Datalore's posts: When I said panel 4 never happens, I was referring to the stunned reaction. The dialogue totally happens, but rarely more than once, in view of the actual reaction of the bullies.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #52 on: 04 Mar 2019, 23:07 »

is there anyone here who knows proper pronuncation of "Khoury"?

The "kh" is supposed to make a sound similar to the "ch" in the German "Nacht". It's similar to a h sound, but harsher and coming from the back of the mouth rather than from the throat. There is no real equivalent in English though, so it's hard to describe.

[...]

By the way hi! Long time reader, just found out the forum

Welcome, new person!

I like to compare the German 'ch' sound found in "Nacht" and "Bach" (the latter being both a well known composer, and an expression for 'creek') with the Spanish sound of 'j', like in Jalapeńo.

Did we ever learn where Brun's parents are from? Well, we now know that probably Brun's father was Lebanese (given her parents were married, which I assume a highly likely), and the question is: was Brun's mother of German descent, or did her parents just like the name?

Given the name's 'popularity' among Germans & Austrians, it's almost more likely that none of her parents were either.

And it's not like Wagner is a complete unknown abroad.

As weird as it may sound, people not living in their home country are prone to become "more catholic than the Pope", but that usually doesn't extend to names. Might be some Germanophone ancestry though, but with a lack of cultural background.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #53 on: 04 Mar 2019, 23:21 »

I really feel for Beepatrice today. Like her, I feel the need to offer comfort to those who are feeling bad. Like her, not knowing precisely what to say leads me to blurt out something that probably isn't helpful at all! There's nothing worse, socially speaking, at least in my experience, to have a combination of a desire to help and the lack of ability to do anything except make basically useless platitudes.

Regarding panel 5, I think that the phrase that fits here is 'You had to be there'. I'm sure it was hilarious to see from the right perspective. It also reminds us that some AIs are so non-integrated that chassis damage, even severe damage, doesn't phase them at all!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #54 on: 05 Mar 2019, 02:04 »

No  :psyduck: ?

No Comment!
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #55 on: 05 Mar 2019, 02:31 »

At least, Roko knows now that if nothing else helps, she still can try yet another body, and then maybe feel better.

Also: that penile masturbation sleeve is terrifying!
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

lemonglamour

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #56 on: 05 Mar 2019, 02:35 »

I really feel for Beepatrice today. Like her, I feel the need to offer comfort to those who are feeling bad. Like her, not knowing precisely what to say leads me to blurt out something that probably isn't helpful at all! There's nothing worse, socially speaking, at least in my experience, to have a combination of a desire to help and the lack of ability to do anything except make basically useless platitudes.

Regarding panel 5, I think that the phrase that fits here is 'You had to be there'. I'm sure it was hilarious to see from the right perspective. It also reminds us that some AIs are so non-integrated that chassis damage, even severe damage, doesn't phase them at all!

reminder that beepatrice uses 'they'!  :-)

but yeah, very relatable.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #57 on: 05 Mar 2019, 04:48 »

So... noseless robots are a thing, now, I guess...

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #58 on: 05 Mar 2019, 05:41 »

Jeph has confirmed that Beepatrice's face is a display screen, so we shouldn't expect to see much in the way of contours there. Maybe her supervisor has a similar feature?
~~~~

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #59 on: 05 Mar 2019, 06:28 »

and Kevin, probably...

Interesting. I didn't know that. Reminds me of Fallout New Vegas.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #60 on: 05 Mar 2019, 06:56 »

I never thought acclimation was such an issue, but then again Battlestar Galactica’s Number One had a bad case of it.  Even started a war over it.

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #61 on: 05 Mar 2019, 08:05 »

The better to not smell us with?  For AIs with bionic sinuses I can imagine that being around some meatpeople can be agonizing.

cybersmurf

« Reply #62 on: 05 Mar 2019, 08:58 »

The better to not smell us with?  For AIs with bionic sinuses I can imagine that being around some meatpeople can be agonizing.

There's no need for the olfactory sensors to be located behind a nose. For all we know, they could acquire air samples through what would be the human ear canal.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #63 on: 05 Mar 2019, 09:15 »

Or even through a separate device, with sensors you can switch out as the situation requires, and a built in scent diffuser. I can imagine there's some jobs where you'd want to leave your nose at home.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #64 on: 05 Mar 2019, 09:15 »

Sure thing.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #65 on: 05 Mar 2019, 09:37 »

Valakhan put together an excellent summary of the history and dynamics of Brun's ancestral country. Just for tidiness I moved it to DISCUSS, and I encourage everyone to read it.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #66 on: 05 Mar 2019, 16:24 »

My sense of smell was never good, and after 20 years of a pack-a-day habit, is barely there.  There are people I pass whose "fragrance" is so strong that I come close to vomiting.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Mr Intrepid

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #67 on: 05 Mar 2019, 20:21 »

New comic up!  Beepatrice caught in kind of a feedback loop.  And Pintsize has a cousin.  Although we've seen that chassis type before.  As far as odors go,  I'd assume it could be disabled by a simple command, if the AI wishes.

Datalore

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #68 on: 05 Mar 2019, 21:04 »

Re: Tova's and Datalore's posts: When I said panel 4 never happens, I was referring to the stunned reaction. The dialogue totally happens, but rarely more than once, in view of the actual reaction of the bullies.

Ah, totally fair! I was coming in already pretty hyped about Brun's coming out post, so I think I might've been a bit too eager to assume the entire discussion revolved around her and what she was doing. My bad. ^^ Thank you and Tova for clearing that up for me, though.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #69 on: 05 Mar 2019, 21:30 »

My sense of smell was never good, and after 20 years of a pack-a-day habit, is barely there.  There are people I pass whose "fragrance" is so strong that I come close to vomiting.
*wretching noises*
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

cybersmurf

« Reply #70 on: 05 Mar 2019, 21:50 »

Now I wonder whether there was a way of covering Pintsize's head, if not whole chassis with a display.  ... He'd probably be renting out ad space. The NSFW kind.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #71 on: 05 Mar 2019, 23:23 »

Beepatrice is an interesting being are they not? Not everyone is entirely socially confident. Indeed, some are so worried about what come out of their mouths that it can be socially disabling (and, once again, I empathise because that's me)! Frankly, I'm hoping that there is someone around who gives them the hug they need!

Well, it's been a long time since we've last seen a true AnthroPC in the comic. It reminds us, I suppose, that not every AI wants to pass somewhat as human or even feels still wearing a 'toy' body is demeaning. As always, I find myself wondering if those who protest do more because they wouldn't like it rather than considering the AI in question's perspective.

Why shouldn't Beepatrice's skirt have pockets? I've seen such skirts before although I grant that they are not that common.
~~~~

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #72 on: 06 Mar 2019, 01:12 »

Another character with issues.

But don't we all have some?

oddtail

« Reply #73 on: 06 Mar 2019, 03:58 »

My first reaction was "the fact that AI bodies/minds can be rebooted with a paperclip is kinda dark".

Then I thought about it for a moment and realised there were MANY social situations when I would have immensely benefitted if I could essentially be knocked out and be able to reset the whole conversation.

So nevermind. The paperclip solution is still kinda weird, but actually pretty awesome. Paperclip-based reboots for me too, please.

EDIT: also, pockets on skirts? QC *is* a technological utopia!

cybersmurf

« Reply #74 on: 06 Mar 2019, 07:28 »

Well, the paperclip a.k.a. the hard reset should knock her out of the apology loop. but so would a soft reset.

Question is: would she lose any memories?

Makes me wonder whether AnthroPCs need downtime like humans need sleep? some subconscious cycles that compress, truncate and simplify memories?

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #75 on: 06 Mar 2019, 07:31 »

My first reaction was "the fact that AI bodies/minds can be rebooted with a paperclip is kinda dark".

Then I thought about it for a moment and realised there were MANY social situations when I would have immensely benefitted if I could essentially be knocked out and be able to reset the whole conversation.

Most people use alcohol for that purpose ...
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #76 on: 06 Mar 2019, 07:41 »

So nevermind. The paperclip solution is still kinda weird, but actually pretty awesome. Paperclip-based reboots for me too, please.

EDIT: also, pockets on skirts? QC *is* a technological utopia!

Maybe Beepatrice has the human equivalence of hiccups.

cybersmurf

« Reply #77 on: 06 Mar 2019, 07:41 »

Most people use alcohol for that purpose ...

That's the soft reset. Works fairly well, but potentially leaves some lingering side effects.

Milayna

« Reply #78 on: 06 Mar 2019, 17:16 »

Beepatrice is big mood...apology loops are the worst, there only way out is to announce that you're going to shut up and self-exile and then do it.

Mr Intrepid

« Reply #79 on: 06 Mar 2019, 21:20 »

Super powerful crypto AIs, huh?  Spooky & company aren't keeping as low a profile as was thought.  Or are they the truth mixed into the fiction as a cover?

A small perverse otter

• Staying well enhydrated
« Reply #80 on: 06 Mar 2019, 21:45 »

Well, now, let's be clear.  Roko doesn't believe in those "ultra-powerful crypto-AIs that move among us in secret" either.

After all, certain knowledge is not belief.
"AGH! Humans are so STUPID sometimes!" -- QC #3668

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #81 on: 06 Mar 2019, 21:59 »

"Right..." - Roko knows one of those ultra-powerful crypto-AI's personally - and isn't about to increase Beepatrice's anxiety problem by telling her that 'eavesdropping on their thoughts' is probably the least of their worries...   :-\
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

jesslc

• Furry furrier
« Reply #82 on: 06 Mar 2019, 22:25 »

Background details: Is Nelson perhaps the only actual employee there? (Ie. not a volunteer). Or is he just that good? I like how the employee of the month photos start off serious but end up with him just goofing around.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #83 on: 06 Mar 2019, 22:39 »

Well. Obviously, that is complete nonsense.

Of course they can.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Milayna

« Reply #84 on: 06 Mar 2019, 23:04 »

Roko ends up being the only normal AI in this wacky retelling of Haruhi Suzumiya (Nelson is ABSOLUTELY a super AI from the future; he's employee of the month, every month, because he knows exactly where he's needed and when).

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #85 on: 06 Mar 2019, 23:21 »

Given that Nelson is almost certainly a background character and we're not likely to see him often (or possibly even at all after today, Jeph really has put a lot into the scene to make us wonder about him. Like jesslc, I wonder how it is that he gets Employee of the Month, every month, for a year. I suspect that he is just that good at his job even though, like most other true AnthroPCs, he has a very mischievous and playful personality, as we see from the 'photos.

A thought that just occurred to me: Does anyone remember waaay back, when Pintsize went on a virtual date and ended up having data-transfer sex with another AnthroPC that he didn't find until later identified as male? The being in question had the same casing colouring as Nelson does. So, if we do see Nelson again, it's because Jeph finally wants to follow up on this, years later both in- and out-of-universe.

Finally...

MEMORANDUM
TO: Self
RE: Co-worker healthcare

Never tell Beeps about Sb; I'm not sure their drive integrity could handle the resulting panic attack. Additionally, never, ever, ever tell Sb about Beeps. They'd manifest to her just for the giggles they'd get at seeing their reaction.
~~~~

cybersmurf

« Reply #86 on: 06 Mar 2019, 23:35 »

I think that's nine pictures for last month's employee of the month. Well done, Nelson.

Gyrre

« Reply #87 on: 06 Mar 2019, 23:37 »

Wouldn't 'not deliberately triggering an anxiety/panic attack' fall under SB's 'sanctity of mind' thing?
a real-ass gaddam sword

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #88 on: 06 Mar 2019, 23:42 »

Also, wouldn't typing that memo on an external PC be the best way to draw Spooky's attention to Beepatrice?

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #89 on: 06 Mar 2019, 23:59 »

Wouldn't 'not deliberately triggering an anxiety/panic attack' fall under SB's 'sanctity of mind' thing?

I don't think so, unless they're using some kind of virus or something to do it.  Spooky didn't intervene with Corpse Witch because she was gaslighting Bubbles, but because she had actually gone into Bubbles' mind and erased memories.  Deliberately triggering an anxiety/panic attack would be much more like gaslighting than direct memory editing.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #90 on: 07 Mar 2019, 00:12 »

Also, wouldn't typing that memo on an external PC be the best way to draw Spooky's attention to Beepatrice?

Only if it's an AI.  More than likely it's just the standard PC we all use today. 

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #91 on: 07 Mar 2019, 00:24 »

But then, if she were just making a mental note, I think that would be safe from Eminence Grise. I don't think we can assume they don't have access to regular PCs, as the sanctity of mind principle is no argument for them to keep out of it.

cybersmurf

« Reply #92 on: 07 Mar 2019, 01:50 »

A normal PC has no mind of its own. Well, at least not in the way an AI has. That'd be no issue. Mental notes would be breaking and entering.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #93 on: 07 Mar 2019, 04:11 »

Maybe Roko could try a more... jet-fightery body?

(Yeah, I know, it has no real link with the current events, but I just only thought about it)

OldGoat

« Reply #94 on: 07 Mar 2019, 07:58 »

Meat-folks have multiple layers of nominally* ultra-secret entities moving among us, not always aware of what the others are up to.  And some of them are actually real.  The entity we see manifested as SpookyBot isn't necessarily the only one and may or may not represent the highest echelon.  Nelson may be one.  So might Pintsize!

Hydra was a front for Advanced Idea Mechanics which was a front for THEM.  (I think that's how it worked - it was 50 years ago.)

*One function of a free press is to make maintaining ultra-secrecy difficult.

Gyrre

« Reply #95 on: 07 Mar 2019, 08:43 »

{SNIP}

Is that why the biggest names in news work for corporations owned by billionaires, then?
(Hint: yes)
a real-ass gaddam sword

OldGoat

« Reply #96 on: 07 Mar 2019, 10:26 »

{SNIP}

Is that why the biggest names in news work for corporations owned by billionaires, then?
(Hint: yes)
Exactly.  Our press isn't as free as it ought to be.  There are piss few real journalists left, and nearly all US broadcast news organizations are no longer free standing but have been absorbed by the networks' entertainment divisions.

The functions of a free press remain, even if the nation's press fails to fulfill some or all of them.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #97 on: 07 Mar 2019, 14:03 »

Meat-folks have multiple layers of nominally* ultra-secret entities moving among us, not always aware of what the others are up to.

<snip?

Not exactly. To make maintaining matters of public interest secret difficult, yes. That's an important qualification, not a pedantic quibble. And yes, what's "of public interest" is always a matter for debate.

In the context of this conversation, there are secret entities that move among us, and it's not considered in the public interest to unmask them.

Rightly or wrongly, freedom of the press does not extend to state secrets.
« Last Edit: 07 Mar 2019, 15:15 by Tova »
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #98 on: 07 Mar 2019, 20:00 »

Cozy.

The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

dreed

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #99 on: 07 Mar 2019, 20:19 »

The i-beam is a reference to that guy's bathroom right? :D
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up