THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 08:41
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

The QC Pokémon League - Which Trainer and Pokémon do you support?

Marten & Ratticate (Because Marten and the most common species of all seems right)
- 1 (4.2%)
Faye & Primeape (Fighting type, of course)
- 1 (4.2%)
Dora & Haunter (Spooky!)
- 1 (4.2%)
Pintsize & Lickitung (Just seemed right)
- 5 (20.8%)
Claire & Pikachu (the two fit together, IMO)
- 2 (8.3%)
Bubbles & Scisor (Warrior steel-type, of course)
- 6 (25%)
Clinton & Porygon
- 1 (4.2%)
Roko & Growlithe (in the memory of Officer Jenny)
- 3 (12.5%)
Brun & Remoraid (closest thing to a harpoon Pokémon)
- 2 (8.3%)
Tai & Butterfree (dust-using Pokémon fits her)
- 2 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 3951-3955 (4th to 8th March 2019)  (Read 24260 times)

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.
Re: WCDT strips 3951-3955 (4th to 8th March 2019)
« Reply #100 on: 07 Mar 2019, 20:48 »

Rightly or wrongly, freedom of the press does not extend to state secrets.
Agreed. 

A small perverse otter

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Staying well enhydrated
« Reply #101 on: 07 Mar 2019, 20:59 »

Actually, that's not true.  The decisions in the _Progressive_ case and the Pentagon papers cases conclude that the freedom of the press *does* extend to state secrets. Prior restraint only applies to secrets which would pose a "clear and present danger to national security". There is, to my mind, some question of the Constitutionality of the secrecy provisions in the Atomic Energy Act of 1954. I doubt that anybody's going to challenge it, at least as long as it isn't applied too much.
"AGH! Humans are so STUPID sometimes!" -- QC #3668

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #102 on: 07 Mar 2019, 21:18 »

It could be a bedroom, but if Brun doesn't have a problem sleeping standing up why not clear out a closet in Rene's current apartment? 

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #103 on: 07 Mar 2019, 22:20 »

It might be a “Harry Potter” closet — big enough to walk into and to have a twin bed but not big enough for much else.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #104 on: 07 Mar 2019, 22:30 »

Actually, that's not true.  The decisions in the _Progressive_ case and the Pentagon papers cases conclude that the freedom of the press *does* extend to state secrets. Prior restraint only applies to secrets which would pose a "clear and present danger to national security". There is, to my mind, some question of the Constitutionality of the secrecy provisions in the Atomic Energy Act of 1954. I doubt that anybody's going to challenge it, at least as long as it isn't applied too much.
Some of the earliest court cases regarding the press and newsletters, we framed in terms of espionage, back in the early 1700s. They're now considered political trials. In almost all of the cases, the sentence was death. But then, freedom of the press was not yet a thing at the time.

Maybe they should get Brun a box-bed. Very cosy, very dark.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #105 on: 07 Mar 2019, 23:13 »

Two things immediately jumped into my mind when i saw this strip for the first time. The first is that the layout of this apartment is familiar from what we've seen of it so far. It is, in fact, close to identical to the layout of the one where Marten, Faye, Claire and Bubbles live. Could Renee and Brun be about to move into either the same building or an identical one in the same neighbourhood?

Secondly, is it me or does the realtor look a lot like Claire? Maybe it is just me but I think that Jeph has, consciously or otherwise, given us a clue about what Claire will look like in a bout 10-20 years time (in-comic, of course).

I've also been thinking about Brun's preference for 'caves'. I wonder if she likes to have something approaching a sensory-deprivation chamber when a meltdown is threatening? The less sensory stimulation, the more mental processing power she can devote to trying to sort out and categorise all the backlog of sensations she's got in her head. It's subtleties about her like this that make her an interesting window onto the lives of people with conditions like hers.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Jedit

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #106 on: 08 Mar 2019, 00:15 »

The i-beam is a reference to that guy's bathroom right? :D

Yep, it's 100% a burn on BeatmastrJ. I came in to let people know if they didn't already.

If you want to know the full story, google "BATHDOOM". I'm too lazy to hunt out a link before work, and you'd need a Something Awful account to read the full story anyway. :D
Warning - while you were typing 14 new replies have been posted. Empires have risen and fallen. New species have evolved, and they too have invented webcomics. You may wish to review your post.

Geographus

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #107 on: 08 Mar 2019, 00:46 »

I still find it interesting that in the US roller shutters are apparently not a common thing in residential buildings.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #108 on: 08 Mar 2019, 02:00 »

Nor in the UK.  The only place they seem somewhat common from my own observation is Germany.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #109 on: 08 Mar 2019, 03:09 »

Roller shutters... like a mall storefront?  I have literally never seen that on a residential building.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #110 on: 08 Mar 2019, 03:14 »

I still find it interesting that in the US roller shutters are apparently not a common thing in residential buildings.

I'm guessing that you mean roller blinds? When I hear 'roller shutters', I think of segmented metal gates that you roll up and down in front of shop fronts.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Geographus

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #111 on: 08 Mar 2019, 03:18 »

I'm guessing that you mean roller blinds? When I hear 'roller shutters', I think of segmented metal gates that you roll up and down in front of shop fronts.
I mean something like this:

They are basically on every residential house in Germany with very few exceptions.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #112 on: 08 Mar 2019, 03:41 »

{SNIP}
*One function of a free press is to make maintaining ultra-secrecy difficult.

Is that why the biggest names in news work for corporations owned by billionaires, then?
(Hint: yes)
Exactly.  Our press isn't as free as it ought to be.  There are piss few real journalists left, and nearly all US broadcast news organizations are no longer free standing but have been absorbed by the networks' entertainment divisions.

The functions of a free press remain, even if the nation's press fails to fulfill some or all of them.

And, of course, all alternative news sources gets generally looked down upon regardless of quality or how many reputable sources they cite.

{snip}
I mean something like this:

They are basically on every residential house in Germany with very few exceptions.
Neat!
Though I imagine maintenance is an issue for some folks.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #113 on: 08 Mar 2019, 03:50 »

Well, unless you have the old fashioned wooden kind, maintenance is limited to washing them, once in a while. In my house, I've still got the same ones that were put in in the early sixties, without any issue. I'll be upgrading them next month, though, as I'm upgrading the windows to double glazing.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #114 on: 08 Mar 2019, 04:44 »

Neat!
Though I imagine maintenance is an issue for some folks.

In many older models, the shutters are rolled onto a spindle in a cavity in the wall above the window that opens to the inside of the room, so you may have to cut through wallpaper if you want to open the access-hatch. But there's also models that you can attach from the outside.

https://www.energie-experten.org/bauen-und-sanieren/fenster/rollladen.html#c19193

But they're rather robust - my parents' place was built in 1976 and some of the original ones are still in.

They help a bit with nocturnal thermal insulation, when the temperature gradient between outside and inside is greatest, and also a bit with burglary-preventiion: It's pretty hard to get through one of those without waking the whole street.
« Last Edit: 08 Mar 2019, 05:02 by Case »
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

Geographus

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #115 on: 08 Mar 2019, 04:50 »

They shutters are rolled onto a spindle in a cavity above the window on the inside of the romm, so you may have to cut through wallpaper if you want to open the access-hatch.

But they're rather robust - my parents' place was built in 1976 and some of the original ones are still in.
Servicing them is something you usually do when you refurbish your home and replace the wallpapers anyway.

The mechanism inside is really robust and cleaning is usually only necessary for the parts that are exposed to
the weather so you can access them from the outside anyway.

cybersmurf

« Reply #116 on: 08 Mar 2019, 05:10 »

I do have roller blinds in my apartment building, which was built mid-60s. My parents have them, too, and I had to help my dad replace some of the individual parts (apparently there's the "I'll live long enough to be repaired/replaced during general renovation" and the "yeah, bits ajd pieces will fail every now and then" variants).
Older buildings have a set of blinds that operate like windows being closed on the outside, bur are made of solid wood instead of glass, or just some heavy curtains.

But as Case said: roller blinds go inside the walls, so retrofitting is really hard, and quite messy (at least for brick walls).
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #117 on: 08 Mar 2019, 06:07 »

I’ve seen blinds like this in Spain. Never seen them in the US though. So yeah, heavy dark curtains are the way for Brun to go. That’s what I have on my own bedroom windows.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #118 on: 08 Mar 2019, 09:46 »

Aren't those common in Switzerland too?

Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #119 on: 08 Mar 2019, 11:46 »

The Swiss probably invented them ...  8-)

"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

cybersmurf

« Reply #120 on: 08 Mar 2019, 16:31 »

The Swiss probably invented them ...  8-)

Wer hat's erfunden?

Well, sounds like it should be common enough in the German speaking parts of this space rock.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Gyrre

« Reply #121 on: 08 Mar 2019, 19:48 »

I’ve seen blinds like this in Spain. Never seen them in the US though. So yeah, heavy dark curtains are the way for Brun to go. That’s what I have on my own bedroom windows.
Ditto.
Though I made mine by hand since it was cheaper to just get a few yards of fleece (the non-wool kind) and layer it with some stitching and a sewing a sleeve(?) for the curtain rod at the top.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #122 on: 08 Mar 2019, 20:29 »

We have blockout curtains behind our decorative curtains. Super effective.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #123 on: 08 Mar 2019, 21:54 »

Secondly, is it me or does the realtor look a lot like Claire? Maybe it is just me but I think that Jeph has, consciously or otherwise, given us a clue about what Claire will look like in a bout 10-20 years time (in-comic, of course).
We already have Magustus.  Claire & Clinton look so much like her one sometimes woners if they're actually her clones.

I saw plenty of residential roller shutters on Okinawa, but they were there for typhoons,  not security against two-legged hazards.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #124 on: 08 Mar 2019, 23:29 »

Well, sounds like it should be common enough in the German speaking parts of this space rock.
Most of Western Europe, really. As to who invented them, I can't find anything definitive, but they seem to have been around since the second quarter of the nineteenth century, with the main producer in Belgium established in 1874.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #125 on: 12 Mar 2019, 10:16 »

I have seen the occasional residence here in the Greater Toronto area with them as well.
They serve the multiple purposes of; insulation, weather guarding, security and 100% light & sound blocking for those who work nights.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up