THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 16 Apr 2024, 16:49
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New whisk(e)ys  (Read 5339 times)

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
New whisk(e)ys
« on: 08 Feb 2019, 20:23 »

I have been trying a new brand of Scotch, Grangestone (http://www.grangestonewhisky.com), recommended to me by a friend.  It is a highland single malt, and tastes pretty good.  They make a range of single malt and blended whiskys.  I found it to be smoother that most others.  It also seems to be a "Total Wine And More" house brand.  Anybody else ever heard of it, or tried it? 
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
Re: New whisk(e)ys
« Reply #1 on: 08 Feb 2019, 20:30 »

I have neither heard of nor tried it.  I will check out my local liquor store which has a fairly good selection and see if they have any at a reasonable price.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #2 on: 09 Feb 2019, 00:59 »

They don't make anything - they are just branding unspecified whiskys that they buy in.  The way they describe the single malts also suggests that even if each bottle is a single malt, other bottles with the same label could be different ones of the same general type.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #3 on: 09 Feb 2019, 10:42 »

The more I think about what they say on their website, the more I think you are correct.  A second bottle was not nearly as good as the first that I bought.

And yes, I still prefer my Laphroaig Triple Wood.   
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Ignominious

• The German Chancellory building
  • Account no longer in use - goodbye and good luck
« Reply #4 on: 09 Feb 2019, 12:08 »

It looks like a company that buys up surplus or bad cut stock at bulk rate and repackages it. Certainly no distillery and doesn't look like you could easily track down which one a bottle came from.

If you are going to buy in to that market then you may fare better with a whiskey of the month club. At least then if you really like one you can go back to it again.

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #5 on: 19 Mar 2019, 12:04 »

every now and then I get some Jack Daniels Single Barrel. It's always a bit of a Lottery since it's single barrel, but on the other hand they're pretty cheap in comparison (like 35-40€ for 0.7L bottle, I've bought blended Scotch for 50€).
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.
Pages: [1]   Go Up