THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 11:10
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Akima's Laws of Fan Casting.  (Read 5112 times)

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
Akima's Laws of Fan Casting.
« on: 05 Mar 2019, 15:19 »

I was out with friends last weekend, and the question came up of which actors should be cast to play live-action versions of an animated TV show. This is, of course, a fairly popular pastime on the internet, and I was taking a look at people's suggestions for the show my friends were discussing, and a variety of others. Based on this research, I propose the following:

"In any fan-discussion of casting actors for a live-action version of an animated movie or TV show, the actors proposed to play young characters, especially those in high-school, will look far too old, and those cast to play older characters will look far too young."
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Theta9

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Not even that gay.
Re: Akima's Laws of Fan Casting.
« Reply #1 on: 05 Mar 2019, 16:18 »

Sounds about right.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #2 on: 06 Mar 2019, 04:35 »

The ultimate problem is that sketches, drawings, and animation can indicate an approximate age, but real life humans don't have "approximate" ages. They are as old as they really are.

Interestingly, I'd posit that it's the same in reverse - if a live-action series is adapted for comics, the comic will look odd because some of the features that indicate an exact age.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #3 on: 06 Mar 2019, 06:38 »

We're talking about fan discussions, right? Not actual casting in live-action adaptations? Because in that case, it's most likely that it's the actors currently in the public eye that the fans consider for a certain role, and most of those actors are between 25 and 40 (rough estimate). Few famous actors are teenagers, and older famous actors are less likely to be considered than whoever was in the most recent Marvel movie, is my guess.

I'm curious, though: since this kind of speculation is pure wish-fulfillment thinking anyhow, why should we limit ourselves to currently living actors at the age they currently are? What if your potential casting choices included every actor at every age they have been, will be, or could have been? What would be your dream cast?
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

cybersmurf

« Reply #4 on: 06 Mar 2019, 07:49 »

One reason why Tom Holland is considered a good casting choice as Peter Parker/Spiderman: at the time he was what 17? 18? he was off like two years?

Whenever we think of an actor for a role, we think of another specific role, or on a more generalized scale. Actual casting has to consider "how much can we get away with, and how fae can we cheat?"
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #5 on: 16 Apr 2019, 14:51 »

I was actually impressed by the live action Kim Possible movie. Only Principal Barkin didn't look right to me.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?
Pages: [1]   Go Up