THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 15:28
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Cave critter pet(s) for Brun? (any species of the type listed)

bat
centipede
milipede
cave spider
cave fish (there are so many species)
cave shrimp
flatworm
cavesnail
cave pseudoscorpion
cave scorpion
cave crayfish
cave isopod
amphipod
spotted-tail salamander
olm
cave cricket
cave beetle
creepy crawlies, no thanks
violet flatware cleansing simian
couldn't she just get those glowing mushrooms instead?

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 3956-3960 (11th to 15th March 2019)  (Read 26671 times)

Skewbrow

• Duck attack survivor
  • damn it
Re: WCDT strips 3956-3960 (11th to 15th March 2019)
« Reply #50 on: 12 Mar 2019, 03:21 »

The housing complex we live in decided to switch from burning oil to geothermal 4 years ago. The cost of building the system was about 6k euros per family, but it has been saving a lot ever since. We have a total of 36 townhouses sharing water & heating, split into two housing cooperatives with separate budgets. What used to the boiler room could fit the geothermal equipment just fine.

This being Southwestern Finland, we generally have no real need for air conditioning. The last summer was an exception (ventilating alone would not drop the indoor
temperature below 75 degrees Fahrenheit no matter how hard we tried), so I am not losing sleep over that. At least not yet.

The key component to building a geothermal system was to drill seven holes, each 900 feet deep into the bedrock. The potential cloud in the horizon is that some other place nearby who later built a similar system seems to have hit a groundwater vein. We have had strange pools of water forming at select points also. I don't know what (if anything) needs to be done about it. The first 2 years went without incidents. May be the drought last year changed something underground?
QC  - entertaining you with regular shots in the butt since 2003.

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #51 on: 12 Mar 2019, 03:55 »

The only places I have found air conditioning here in Austria is in offices. I have yet to find a private household equipped with some kind of cooling, since it barely used to be more than 30°C around here (85°F).

This being Southwestern Finland, we generally have no real need for air conditioning. The last summer was an exception (ventilating alone would not drop the indoor
temperature below 75 degrees Fahrenheit no matter how hard we tried), so I am not losing sleep over that. At least not yet.

Cute. That's like 24 °C. that's a nice summer's day.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

hakko504

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek
« Reply #52 on: 12 Mar 2019, 04:59 »

South-ish Sweden here. Finland must have had a nice summer last year. Where I live we had close to 30°C for long parts of the summer. And we were lucky because even though our main heating is electric combined with a heat pump. Said heat pump was running quite a lot as an air conditioner rather than for heating last year ;) Also, while District heating is pushed heavily in Sweden I consider myself lucky to not have it. It works somewhat well for most parts of the year, but you're never really in control because you're limited to what the city gives you. Or for that matter, what your landlord is prepared to pay for as was the case in the last apartment I had.
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #53 on: 12 Mar 2019, 07:20 »

As to Ronan point: We've had two beyond-design base events (Chernobyl, Fukushima) in nuclear plants over the last 32 years,
It's worth noting that Fukushima stood up to the earthquake quite admirably, and it was only the tsunami that fucked their shit up.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #54 on: 12 Mar 2019, 08:44 »

Even a nutty neighbor like Melon doesn’t outweigh Elliot’s choice.

cybersmurf

« Reply #55 on: 12 Mar 2019, 09:31 »

As to Ronan point: We've had two beyond-design base events (Chernobyl, Fukushima) in nuclear plants over the last 32 years,
It's worth noting that Fukushima stood up to the earthquake quite admirably, and it was only the tsunami that fucked their shit up.

The tsunami did serious damage. The actual fuck up was human error. Or at least amplified the damage done.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #56 on: 12 Mar 2019, 09:49 »

And Chernobyl was entirely human error.  As (nearly) always, the weakest link.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #57 on: 12 Mar 2019, 10:21 »

Late suggestions under the missing other category on poll;

lil Myconids
Cute lil baby otyughs - easy to take care of and to feed. If trained right they will be really good at housekeeping. No bug or rodent problems either ... or cats .....
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #58 on: 12 Mar 2019, 10:26 »

The thing to remember as well is that its not just Brun who is apartment hunting, its Renee too.

Its all well and good if Brun gets excited about an apartment, but she's forgetting that it needs to fits Renee's needs as well. And Renee is right, they might find a better apartment elsewhere. I mean, a fantastic apartment won't mean a thing is someone has to spend several hours travelling to and from work everyday and by the same token, a great apartment downtown isn't worth it if you're working to just pay the rent.

Getting an apartment is an involved process, which I think Brun doesn't quite understand, nor does she understand why Renee is being so cautious about it.

cybersmurf

« Reply #59 on: 12 Mar 2019, 12:21 »

The thing to remember as well is that its not just Brun who is apartment hunting, its Renee too.

Its all well and good if Brun gets excited about an apartment, but she's forgetting that it needs to fits Renee's needs as well. And Renee is right, they might find a better apartment elsewhere. I mean, a fantastic apartment won't mean a thing is someone has to spend several hours travelling to and from work everyday and by the same token, a great apartment downtown isn't worth it if you're working to just pay the rent.

Getting an apartment is an involved process, which I think Brun doesn't quite understand, nor does she understand why Renee is being so cautious about it.

Yes, but it'd be kind of stupid to pass up on something good just for the chance of something better.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #60 on: 12 Mar 2019, 12:39 »

The tsunami did serious damage. The actual fuck up was human error. Or at least amplified the damage done.
How so?
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

TheEvilDog

« Reply #61 on: 12 Mar 2019, 13:19 »

Yes, but it'd be kind of stupid to pass up on something good just for the chance of something better.

Its good relative to Brun.

And you need to ask questions before deciding anything. Years ago, a friend of mine nearly bought what could be described the perfect apartment. He was all set to sign on the dotted line until he got a whiff of the dump that was a mile or so down the road. Apparently the smell got worse in the Summer.

Brun isn't asking the questions that she needs to make an informed decision. I don't think the lady in this instance would cheat them and she seems quite honest, but still, its a big change and it requires a level of forethought that Brun has shown she doesn't possess. Its not a criticism of Brun, but rather pointing out a part of her character. She needs someone to rein her in a little before she makes a decision she could regret. And lets be honest here, Brun herself has even said that she needs routine, anything that throws off her routine does affect her. Apartment hunting can be stressful at the best of times for the most adaptive of people.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #62 on: 12 Mar 2019, 13:58 »

What I hear you saying is that Brun does rely a little on Renee to help her navigate the world.

I mean, yes. I think that's been noted.

Also, I daresay that Renee likes the place as well, or they wouldn't even be having this conversation. Renee has just decided to sit on it.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #63 on: 12 Mar 2019, 19:42 »

New  Comic.
While I admire the sentiment-I don't enjoy making impulse purchases either-I totally get Renee's lack of interest in apartment hunting.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #64 on: 12 Mar 2019, 20:07 »

I feel the same way when I research the people on my ballot.  I don't like knowing my one vote could potentially be the one that puts an idiot or the greater of two evils into office. 

If a goopy kitty like Choo-Choo Bear has an exceptionally long life I can believe a floofy kitty like Moses can live to 27. 

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #65 on: 12 Mar 2019, 20:24 »

Awww, poor Moses.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #66 on: 12 Mar 2019, 20:46 »

You don't look for the best place to live. You look for a good place.

You don't know whats best without having tried a few things.

Also: I like Elliott. He's a kind person.

Sometimes to a fault.
But, as a fair few drunks have found out, do not mistake his kindness for weakness.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #67 on: 12 Mar 2019, 20:56 »

The only places I have found air conditioning here in Austria is in offices. I have yet to find a private household equipped with some kind of cooling, since it barely used to be more than 30°C around here (85°F).

Cute. That's like 24 °C. that's a nice summer's day.
Reminder, southern Californians were wearing winter coats at 70°F this winter.
It routinely got down to between -10° and 1°F (with a windchill that dropped it another 13° or so) in Kansas. Though typically for 1 to 5 weeks, with the rest being in the 20s or 30s F. In the summer, it's typically between 90° and 110°F with the dewpoint making July and August utter Hell.

EDIT: specifying parameters.
« Last Edit: 12 Mar 2019, 21:06 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #68 on: 12 Mar 2019, 21:47 »

27 years?!?!?!?  Moses hell, more like Methuselah.

I hope he checked out in his sleep, purring in the lap of one of his many friends who was honored that such a cat would chose theirs for the final nap.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

cybersmurf

« Reply #70 on: 12 Mar 2019, 22:56 »

How so?

They wanted to salvage as much as possible (which isn't bad by itself), but AFAIK it wasn't possible by the degree they wanted.
The earthquake did no real damage, that was part of the design. The tsunami knocked out cooling, and the emergency generators (they blamed thst failure on being built too close to the sea).
They had to flood the reactor with sea water to cool it down, but that basically made some stuff unusable. Also, nobody wanted to admit the severity of the damage, so the owners told the people on site to keep on going without flooding the reactor,making things worse, and in the end leading to the actual meltdown. IIRC.

And chernobyl was a chain of unfortunate events coupled with parts being shut down for a test, amd a crapload of human mistake and maybe a bit of ignorance.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #71 on: 13 Mar 2019, 00:21 »

To me, I think that Renee was happy with the apartment too. She was just being cautious and hedging her bets. Was she being overly-cautious? Perhaps but I can well understand that when dealing with something as big as moving home (arguably one of the most stressful and psychologically traumatic experiences possible in life). I just hope that she isn't doing this now because she's basically too lazy to look for something better but because she genuinely does like the place!

Also: I love Brun in panel 2. She's still got a lot of kid in her, hasn't she?

Cat mortality note: My grandfather's cat was 30 when he died. Cantankerous hiss-generator that he was. I don't think that he liked me because I had my own cat's smell around me. Male cats don't tend to like each other's presence and I must have smelled a lot like one, given how my cat was hyper-tactile in showing affection!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Hoodiecrow

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #72 on: 13 Mar 2019, 02:12 »

"Elliot?" "See?"

Elliot See.

Yup.
ADD, ASD, AvPD, OCD

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #73 on: 13 Mar 2019, 10:19 »

"Elliot?" "See?"

Elliot See.

Yup.

Stay out of T-38s.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Sullivan

• Furry furrier
  • Speaker-to- ... um... hm.
« Reply #74 on: 13 Mar 2019, 14:24 »

Not unheard of
Not unheard-of, but not at all common either. My vet tells me that a well-cared-for indoor cat can be expected to live about 12 years, and anything much longer is a gift; a whole lot of fatal things (kidney problems, cancer, heart problems) start showing up after that. My previous pair both lived to 12, and the pair before that to 17. I and a neighbor fed a "determined stray" who lived to 20.

Milayna

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #75 on: 13 Mar 2019, 15:24 »

Sometimes I get into a situation like this, where I feel the responsible thing to do is due diligence and then I DO do it and I find...all the options are perfectly adequate and I don't feel strongly about any particular one, but I've still got to make a decision I can justify somehow. In a way I'm envious of people that have tastes particular enough to meaningfully discern between options.

badbum61

• I'm going to eight, baby!
« Reply #76 on: 13 Mar 2019, 20:07 »

Well, I guess that settles that...
What the hell are YOU staring at?

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #77 on: 13 Mar 2019, 20:16 »

:-D :laugh: :lol:

A small perverse otter

• Staying well enhydrated
« Reply #78 on: 13 Mar 2019, 20:34 »

all of it.

Fukushima Daini (not Daiichi) was completely submerged by the tsunami. It was back up and running within a week of the disaster.

The big difference? Disaster training. It helps to have done things, like, you know, emergency drills, or so I've heard. To have emergency procedure manuals available on-site. Minor things like that.
"AGH! Humans are so STUPID sometimes!" -- QC #3668

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #79 on: 13 Mar 2019, 20:43 »

Yup! Bread's still good! Maybe too good...

A small perverse otter

• Staying well enhydrated
« Reply #80 on: 13 Mar 2019, 20:55 »

I guess her new sensorium works.
"AGH! Humans are so STUPID sometimes!" -- QC #3668

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #81 on: 13 Mar 2019, 21:48 »

Question answered, definitively.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #82 on: 13 Mar 2019, 21:53 »

Sensors are fine, but it doesn't seem like her reaction is any different.  It was possible her new chassis would have some Tex Avery emotive abilities, but it doesn't look like those fuctions are included. 

badbum61

• I'm going to eight, baby!
« Reply #83 on: 13 Mar 2019, 23:42 »

It was possible her new chassis would have some Tex Avery emotive abilities

I was waiting for an "aHOOgah"!
« Last Edit: 14 Mar 2019, 19:46 by badbum61 »
What the hell are YOU staring at?

cybersmurf

« Reply #84 on: 14 Mar 2019, 00:04 »

No better way to attune to your new sensorium than by a sniff of bread.

Maybe that was why her body felt so alien to Roko - everything DOES feel different. And maybe she's less ticklish now - or the opposite, due to the improved hardware.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #85 on: 14 Mar 2019, 00:19 »

Ever since I first saw this comic on Patreon, I've been imagining the overload warnings scrolling across Roko's field of vision! Frankly, I've suspected from the start that her new oflactory sensors would cause a visually hilarious but probably actually quite embarrassing reaction.

After turning the sensitivity down a few notches on her settings dialogue box, Roko's next task will be to stop poor Elliott worrying!

Question: What are The Secret Bakery's opening hours, Thursday to Saturday? Just for completeness of the Wiki page. :?
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

cybersmurf

« Reply #86 on: 14 Mar 2019, 00:38 »

I always wondered what cause the coolant vent in the first place. I know, it's a last resort cooling mechanism, but how does the whole system get that hot anyway? Intentional by design overclocking to process sensory inputs and their effects, all while staying conscious?
I'd understand blacking out of a second to preserve processing power and stop fresh input - but that may result in an input/blackout loop. Then why not disconnect the sensory input causing it? Maybe that's not available in every chassis, or it would result in a sensory brownout / pseudoblackout.

Unless JJ actually is going to answer that soon in the comics, I'll have to spin my own theories.

cybersmurf

« Reply #87 on: 14 Mar 2019, 00:40 »

Question: What are The Secret Bakery's opening hours, Thursday to Saturday? Just for completeness of the Wiki page. :?

Thursday and friday are a good bet to be 7-4, too. Saturday is going to be tough to guess.

Scarlet Manuka

« Reply #88 on: 14 Mar 2019, 02:09 »

It looks like the hours have changed a bit since comic 2009.

artag

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #89 on: 14 Mar 2019, 02:44 »

I always wondered what cause the coolant vent in the first place.

Poetic license.

For that matter, why do WE get 'hot and flustered' ?

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #90 on: 14 Mar 2019, 02:51 »

So everything is fine with Roko's fantasy life. Maybe even more than fine?
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #91 on: 14 Mar 2019, 02:52 »

I always wondered what cause the coolant vent in the first place.

Poetic license.

For that matter, why do WE get 'hot and flustered' ?

The body is preparing to mate. It's a biological thing.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #92 on: 14 Mar 2019, 02:57 »

all of it.

Fukushima Daini (not Daiichi) was completely submerged by the tsunami. It was back up and running within a week of the disaster.

The big difference? Disaster training. It helps to have done things, like, you know, emergency drills, or so I've heard. To have emergency procedure manuals available on-site. Minor things like that.

Actually, I have read at the time the earthquake badly damaged the Daiichi nuclear reactors, and the tsunami just finished the work. But it seems the team working at Daini reacted in a better way. Here an article analyzing how things went in Daini and how they saved the day:

https://hbr.org/2014/07/how-the-other-fukushima-plant-survived
« Last Edit: 14 Mar 2019, 03:07 by traroth »

Transmundane

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
  • No admittance except on Party business!
« Reply #93 on: 14 Mar 2019, 04:39 »

So everything is fine with Roko's fantasy life. Maybe even more than fine?

If her reaction to her favourite thing is that, um, "good", then the rest of the sensory issues can just be ignored. 
Hooray for bread!
thrower of pointy things.
owch.

Cheetaur

• Plantmonster
« Reply #94 on: 14 Mar 2019, 06:57 »

If her reaction is going to be that severe working there is going to be a big problem...LOL.
I did get a big laugh out of this though...thanks made my morning

<mod>removed inappropriate colour tags.</mod>
« Last Edit: 14 Mar 2019, 12:00 by pwhodges »

Milayna

« Reply #95 on: 14 Mar 2019, 10:10 »

It isn't the hours that make me wonder, it's what made them go from an "artisanal" looking typefont to handwritten scribbles. Or is handwritten scribbles what kids consider hipster 10 years later? (Is hipster still a thing?)

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #96 on: 14 Mar 2019, 10:17 »

(Is hipster still a thing?)
If it were, you wouldn't have heard of it.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

rtmq0227

• Balloon animal serial killer
« Reply #97 on: 14 Mar 2019, 11:12 »

It isn't the hours that make me wonder, it's what made them go from an "artisanal" looking typefont to handwritten scribbles. Or is handwritten scribbles what kids consider hipster 10 years later? (Is hipster still a thing?)

I think it's more in keeping with the current art-style for the strip.  I honestly felt the old script font pulled me out of the scene.  In the latest strip it feels like part of the scene, and didn't take me out of the experience.  The old font immediately snagged my gaze, and not in a good way.

Then again, I'm not a font aficionado, and don't visually wince at Papyrus like I'm supposed to.
(though I understand why it's a bad font, and don't use it myself)
The best lore starts as an off-handed comment or joke.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #98 on: 14 Mar 2019, 11:59 »

If her reaction is going to be that severe working there is going to be a big problem...LOL.
I did get a big laugh out of this though...thanks made my morning

Global Moderator Comment Specifying a font colour which makes your post illegible in the forum's default theme is neither clever nor endearing.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #99 on: 14 Mar 2019, 12:38 »

I always wondered what cause the coolant vent in the first place. I know, it's a last resort cooling mechanism, but how does the whole system get that hot anyway? Intentional by design overclocking to process sensory inputs and their effects, all while staying conscious?
I'd understand blacking out of a second to preserve processing power and stop fresh input - but that may result in an input/blackout loop. Then why not disconnect the sensory input causing it? Maybe that's not available in every chassis, or it would result in a sensory brownout / pseudoblackout.

Unless JJ actually is going to answer that soon in the comics, I'll have to spin my own theories.
Mandatory Law of Funny compliance.  Kind of like OHSA posters in our universe.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up