THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 02:52
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Bread? Brun? Bots? Whatcha got for this week?

Bread
- 21 (65.6%)
Brun
- 3 (9.4%)
Bots
- 5 (15.6%)
Baffling Behavior By Pintsize
- 1 (3.1%)
Other
- 2 (6.3%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT strips 3961-3965 (18-22 March 2019)  (Read 23530 times)

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
WCDT strips 3961-3965 (18-22 March 2019)
« on: 16 Mar 2019, 21:44 »

Here's the poll and thread.

DISCLAIMER: Despite what the wiki may say, I do NOT always do these things.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
Re: WCDT strips 3961-3965 (18-22 March 2019)
« Reply #1 on: 16 Mar 2019, 22:28 »

Lets see, we missed an opportunity for pie.
(click to show/hide)

Then there was another that quickly followed that involves romaine lettuce and croutons dressed with lemon juice, olive oil, egg, Worcestershire sauce, anchovies, garlic, Dijon mustard, Parmesan cheese, and black pepper, oh and knives. Lots and lots of knives. I think 23 would be the perfect number.
(click to show/hide)
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #2 on: 17 Mar 2019, 01:34 »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't there already been a poll listing various types of bread? It was the only thing I could think of, thus this week's WCDT getting sniped.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #3 on: 17 Mar 2019, 01:41 »

I'm hoping for some breadmaking and bonding between Elliott and Roko as they try to extend their understanding of each other beyond the broad stokes that are all they know of each other to date.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #4 on: 17 Mar 2019, 02:47 »

Pintsize's Baffling Behavior is implied by default.

Brun and Renee probably will settle in quite quickly, but we'll probably see more of Roko.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #5 on: 17 Mar 2019, 19:27 »

I'm hoping for some breadmaking and bonding between Elliott and Roko as they try to extend their understanding of each other beyond the broad stokes that are all they know of each other to date.

Comic is up, and your dream has come true.

Elliot might be my favourite.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #6 on: 17 Mar 2019, 19:27 »

I guess the hope is that if she bakes it herself she'll be Westermarked.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

TheEvilDog

« Reply #7 on: 17 Mar 2019, 19:37 »

Comics up and now there is nothing left to prove.

ChaosWolf

• Obscure cultural reference
« Reply #8 on: 17 Mar 2019, 19:39 »

I'm still boggled by Roko's strange... obsessions... with gluten-bearing foodstuffs.  How the heck would such a thing as a "bread fetish" even come about?  Many human fetishes, such as for shoes, develop from misassociations between sexual excitement and nonsexual content that occur during childhood... but robots don't have childhoods.

I'm rather surprised nobody in the cast has thought to ask about it yet, not even someone as tactlessly-impulsive as Melon.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #9 on: 17 Mar 2019, 20:19 »

I'm still boggled by Roko's strange... obsessions... with gluten-bearing foodstuffs.  How the heck would such a thing as a "bread fetish" even come about?  Many human fetishes, such as for shoes, develop from misassociations between sexual excitement and nonsexual content that occur during childhood... but robots don't have childhoods.

I'm rather surprised nobody in the cast has thought to ask about it yet, not even someone as tactlessly-impulsive as Melon.

Hey, bread is just that awesome!

In Roko's case, its probably the tactile and sensory sensation she enjoys about the bread. Have you ever baked bread at home? Like mixing the dry ingredients together before adding the wet and then kneading it into a dough? Its relaxing for some and I imagine that for Roko in her previous job, bread became a relaxing element to her life. I mean, in the grand scheme of things, I seriously doubt a bread fetish is the weirdest one out there.

BlueAmaranth

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #10 on: 17 Mar 2019, 20:22 »

Still think Roko asking Elliot to participate in her fetish was super weird and inappropriate, tbh. It makes it a little better that he is aware that it's a fetish thing and is explicitly okay with that, but still...I don't think it's kinkshaming to expect people to reserve their sex stuff for sex contexts.

Edit: On reflection, I guess I have no reason to object to the apprenticeship itself if they both know what's going on and are fine with it. I think what's actually bugging me is that Elliot seems to imply that he'd be kinkshaming if he were uncomfortable with Roko involving him/his workplace in her sex life. I think he's being exceptionally accommodating, and what he's doing shouldn't be the baseline expectation.
« Last Edit: 17 Mar 2019, 22:39 by BlueAmaranth »

cybersmurf

« Reply #11 on: 17 Mar 2019, 20:40 »

Have you ever had fresh bread, straight from the oven, still warm? It's glorious. On a purely physiological, sensual level, a fresh piece of bread, maybe with some butter and honey or maple syrup (depending on your preferences) can be quite... satisfying. on so many levels.

A small perverse otter

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Staying well enhydrated
« Reply #12 on: 17 Mar 2019, 20:42 »

Many human fetishes, such as for shoes, develop from misassociations between sexual excitement and nonsexual content that occur during childhood... but robots don't have childhoods.
That's a common statement, but it's not supported by any real data. The fact is that nobody has any evidence to support any explanation.

And not saying things like this matters: blaming 'kinks' on people's parents is a standard shaming mechanism both for the parents and the child.
"AGH! Humans are so STUPID sometimes!" -- QC #3668

cybersmurf

« Reply #13 on: 17 Mar 2019, 20:47 »

Hey, bread is just that awesome!

In Roko's case, its probably the tactile and sensory sensation she enjoys about the bread. Have you ever baked bread at home? Like mixing the dry ingredients together before adding the wet and then kneading it into a dough? Its relaxing for some and I imagine that for Roko in her previous job, bread became a relaxing element to her life. I mean, in the grand scheme of things, I seriously doubt a bread fetish is the weirdest one out there.

We know olfactory inputs may create sexy unicorn men. Fresh bread may just do something else, even more sensual. Like some people are attracted to both genders, AIs may have a deeply sensual, personal reaction to bread. or Chai. Or maybe even steamed broccoli. Silicon Chips work way more different than the bald ape brains we use.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #14 on: 17 Mar 2019, 20:56 »

Still think Roko asking Elliot to participate in her fetish was super weird and inappropriate, tbh. It makes it a little better that he is aware that it's a fetish thing and is explicitly okay with that, but still...I don't think it's kinkshaming to expect people to reserve their sex stuff for sex contexts.

I think it's time to, you know, let this go.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #15 on: 17 Mar 2019, 21:18 »

Why should anyone care if Roko or any AI gets off on baking bread?  It’s not like she’s leaking genetic material into the dough...  or humping the fridge.

BlueAmaranth

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #16 on: 17 Mar 2019, 21:52 »

Why should anyone care if Roko or any AI gets off on baking bread?  It’s not like she’s leaking genetic material into the dough...  or humping the fridge.

If someone came up to me at my place of work and said "hey, can you teach me electrophysiology because i find poking cells with glass electrodes sexually gratifying," the possibility of their getting genetic material on my rig would not be my main concern.

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #17 on: 18 Mar 2019, 00:11 »

This is literally just wishful thinking out of left field, but y'know I'm still waiting over here for more on Elliot & Clinton. Maybe a polycule with Brun or something, I'm not picky.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #18 on: 18 Mar 2019, 00:24 »

I'm thinking that today's strip is more about Elliot than it is about Roko in some ways. I've said this before but I think that bread-making and other similar forms of baking are Elliot's first true love and the way he introduces Roko into the mysteries of his art seems to back that up. It does leave me wondering if real artisan bakers name their yeast farms though...! :-P

Still think Roko asking Elliot to participate in her fetish was super weird and inappropriate, tbh.

I'm not sure that it is associated with her fetish. She may have thought that it is but her only strong reaction we see is the understandable embarrassment of discussing something so entirely and extremely personal. Her lack of extreme reaction suggests to me that Roko responds only to the freshly finished product, not the early phase of making.

However, I do think that she may have made a friend, possibly without realising it or intending it.
« Last Edit: 18 Mar 2019, 01:05 by BenRG »
~~~~

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #19 on: 18 Mar 2019, 01:29 »

It does leave me wondering if real artisan bakers name their yeast farms though...! :-P

I've known some who do.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #20 on: 18 Mar 2019, 03:08 »

In my opinion, it's Jeph's reaction to some... misplaced questions about sexual orientations and tastes. Invent something so inherently impossible that one cannot even really formulate an inappropriate question about it. They wouldn't know where to start.
« Last Edit: 18 Mar 2019, 05:26 by traroth »
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #21 on: 18 Mar 2019, 04:13 »

The mechanism has been established in a Patreon-only strip.

The exact details aside, all that really matters is that certain sensory stimulation creates a effect in Roko's neural processes analogous to sexual stimulation in humans. TBH, the 'why' doesn't matter and likely will never be addressed. Much of what QC-verse AIs do seems to be a mystery even to them (let alone to their creators) so there may not be an easily-diagnosable cause at all. I suspect that even Roko doesn't know 'why', any more than she really knows why she has a 'tickle' response in her feet.

Oddly enough, it was Melon who asked in the Patreon-only strip. Even she doesn't entirely get it, even after Roko explains! :lol:
~~~~

Zebediah

• I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #22 on: 18 Mar 2019, 04:15 »

It does leave me wondering if real artisan bakers name their yeast farms though...! :-P

I've known some who do.
Yes, this definitely happens. I know someone who named her sourdough.

Sourdough is the weirdest pet you can ever have. It’s like a tamagotchi, but with yeast and flour.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Hoodiecrow

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #23 on: 18 Mar 2019, 07:16 »

Oh Elliot ya big lug of actually soft-spoken percipience.
ADD, ASD, AvPD, OCD

Carl-E

• Awakened
  • The distilled essence of Mr. James Beam himself.
« Reply #24 on: 18 Mar 2019, 08:03 »

I've been away from the forums for a while, so I don't know if this has come up...

I'm a bit concerned with Roko engaging in this apprenticeship, but not for the reasons most others profess.  Basically, it's the old saw "familiariity breeds contempt".  Bear with me a moment, before you decry. 

It's often the case that becoming intimate with a process (pun intended, I guess) can take all the "mystery" out of it.  That, and the repeated intense contact with her objet de désir may have a psychological effect similar to acclimation, where the effect gets less intense over time. 

Maybe that's her intention - to get control over this uncontrollable effect.  But maybe she's just trying to get closer, and this will be an unintended consequence, leading to a loss of something precious. 

Discuss!  (like you need my permission... ;) )
When people try to speak a gut reaction, they end up talking out their ass.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #25 on: 18 Mar 2019, 08:55 »

First of all, welcome back Carl-E.

Secondly, just to show the other side of the coin, engaging in an activity like this can have the possibility of increasing the love Roko has for bread. Sure, she could read up on what happens during the process of baking, but that's cold, sterile and doesn't offer much else. But in actually getting her hands into the dough, that can open up new thoughts of appreciation. Its less taking away the mystery and more gaining understanding what is going on.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #26 on: 18 Mar 2019, 08:56 »

I dunno about you, Carl, but I've had a lot of sex in my life (as an example) and I've never gotten tired of it. Sometimes familiarity allows us to appreciate what we love even more.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

TheEvilDog

« Reply #27 on: 18 Mar 2019, 09:05 »

Yeah, but that said, if the sex gets stale, you can't make a dessert out of it.
Well, you could, but then its going to get all sorts of messy.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #28 on: 18 Mar 2019, 10:02 »

If your sex is getting stale, you're doing it wrong.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #29 on: 18 Mar 2019, 10:34 »

If your sex is getting stale, you're doing it wrong.
So, you're saying they should try including baked goods?  ;)

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #30 on: 18 Mar 2019, 10:54 »

As long as your partners are cool with it, go for it. If nothing else, it will be tasty.
@syleegrrl

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #31 on: 18 Mar 2019, 12:18 »

I mean, who am I to object if someone wants to bring a little roll playing in to spice up their sex lives?

dutchrvl

« Reply #32 on: 18 Mar 2019, 13:14 »

I mean, who am I to object if someone wants to bring a little roll playing in to spice up their sex lives?

a case of yeast affection has never hurt anyone  :-D

OldGoat

« Reply #33 on: 18 Mar 2019, 13:28 »

And the more I think about it, the more likely it is that some of Jim's customer base would require rolls repeatedly rubbed on a reasonable, reinstalled robot's regal, resplendent, and recently restored rump.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #34 on: 18 Mar 2019, 13:46 »

As long as your partners are cool with it, go for it. If nothing else, it will be tasty.
Considering some local baked goods, that could potentially be a very sticky situation.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

poofdepoof

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #35 on: 18 Mar 2019, 14:20 »

I'm usually just a happy lurker in this thorough discussions, but I went to the trouble of logging in to add -- is anyone else? completely enamored? by Elliot naming his starter BRAD because it's ALMOST BREAD????

like omg I love him. <3

as for ships, since it was mentioned, I feel like I want
Elliot + Clinton
and also
Brun + Clinton

but I don't actually care much for Elliot + Brun, or anyone + Roko yet.

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #36 on: 18 Mar 2019, 14:37 »

What about Roko+Brad?
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #37 on: 18 Mar 2019, 20:24 »

They'd need a bigger pan. 

DaiJB

• The German Chancellory building
  • Utterly clueless.
« Reply #38 on: 18 Mar 2019, 20:25 »

HI BRAD! Welcome to a new character - the first named viscous, bubbling mass in this comic!  :-D
"This fellow... he picks up this tiny bird in his hands and carries its quivering little body across this busy junction -  and feeds it to his cat.
Life's like that; a complex texture of conflicting moralities. " 

Norman Clegg, Last of the Summer Wine

Gyrre

« Reply #39 on: 18 Mar 2019, 21:14 »

*snip*
I mean, in the grand scheme of things, I seriously doubt a bread fetish is the weirdest one out there.

Not by a long shot.

For sanity's sake, I won't list the ones that are the worst.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Gyrre

« Reply #40 on: 18 Mar 2019, 21:16 »

NEW COMIC

Hurray for mathematical answers.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Magniras

• Larger than most fish
  • INTERNET SPACESHIPS
« Reply #41 on: 18 Mar 2019, 21:41 »

That logic actually makes perfect sense. And is totally the kind of workaround I could see some of the programmers I know kludge together.

OldGoat

« Reply #42 on: 18 Mar 2019, 23:23 »

*snip*
I mean, in the grand scheme of things, I seriously doubt a bread fetish is the weirdest one out there.

Not by a long shot.

For sanity's sake, I won't list the ones that are the worst.
For Gawd's sake, don't!!  If you do someone's bound to say, "Hold my electrodes, furniture polish, and this can of creamed corn."

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #43 on: 18 Mar 2019, 23:34 »

I've worked tech support, and am more curious than Pandora.  Much like Roy Batty, I've seen things you people wouldn't believe[1]...  And there's still worse out there, things that I *haven't* seen.  I don't want to, and there are limits to even what my demented mind can handle.

[1] The kind that got the FBI involved after the people who had those machines
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #44 on: 19 Mar 2019, 00:29 »

It says a lot about Roko's personality that, even though Melon's behaviour irritates and worries her on occasion, she still feels obliged to look out for her and defend her. What she says in panel 4 also gives us a little insight into how Melon's mind works. Even though she's easily disoriented, it seems that she has strong associative memories of what people tell her. I wonder if that difficulty with navigation is why she had to check the names of every shop she encountered until she reached Coffee of Doom?

Panel 5 leaves me with a strong mental image of Roko shaking Melon hard and fast whilst a cross-eyed Melon is yelling out: "WHEEEEEE!!!" :-D
~~~~

Hoodiecrow

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #45 on: 19 Mar 2019, 02:08 »

That logic actually makes perfect sense. And is totally the kind of workaround I could see some of the programmers I know kludge together.

As a programmer, I can confirm that.

This scheme works, but I'm not entirely sure it's about logic. It's the same mechanism that makes it possible to teach animals simple rules, even though they probably don't understand what the rules mean.
ADD, ASD, AvPD, OCD

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #46 on: 19 Mar 2019, 03:34 »

I have a feeling if you shook Melon you’d hear a bunch of silly sound effects. 

Tai Fanboi

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • DeadWinter
« Reply #47 on: 19 Mar 2019, 04:16 »

Hmm..  Wonder if Elliot smells like bread all the time after he's done a shift at the bakery...  Wonder if Roko turned her sensor suite back up.... 
Oh god, I should've drunk more so I wouldn't remember that.

Carl-E

• Awakened
« Reply #48 on: 19 Mar 2019, 06:31 »

I have a feeling if you shook Melon you’d hear a bunch of silly sound effects.

Dunno, but you'd probably hear a fair bit of rattling. 

I mean, someting's loose...

de_la_Nae

• Methuselah's mentor
  • but will you understand
« Reply #49 on: 19 Mar 2019, 06:49 »

One of the AI versions of neuroatypical, I suppose. Though that's a little harder to call, since while AIs are people but not human people so.... some of our measurements aren't gonna track. And some of them don't track for humans as is.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up