Peach
Kiwi
Ananas (Pineapple)
Grape
Grapefruit
please no
one of the others (please specify)

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3966-3970 (25th-29th March, 2019)  (Read 26068 times)

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
WCDT Strips 3966-3970 (25th-29th March, 2019)
« on: 23 Mar 2019, 13:13 »

I suspect Durian is the closest they get to goth if she isn't outright. Hmmm..... Would Pepper be punk or metal?

EDIT: I'm not making a(nother) poll with more than 21 options.
EDIT: Clarification; me suggesting Durian as the goth is only meant as a joke, not an insult.
« Last Edit: 23 Mar 2019, 13:30 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Gyrre

Re: WCDT Strips 3966-3970 (25th-29th March, 2019)
« Reply #1 on: 23 Mar 2019, 13:14 »

I really need to go back to sleep.
a real-ass gaddam sword

hakko504

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • Geek! Beep Boop!
    • My Profile at Boardgamegeek
« Reply #2 on: 23 Mar 2019, 13:31 »

Psst: Ananas = Pineapple in english.
(click to show/hide)
"Be excellent to each other!"
Bill S. Preston & Ted "Theodore" Logan

Gyrre

« Reply #3 on: 23 Mar 2019, 13:35 »

Psst: Ananas = Pineapple in english.
(click to show/hide)
English and Spanish being the only ones to call it otherwise is why I put "Ananas". A parenthetical has been added.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Dandi Andi

• FIGHT YOU
  • They/them she/her. Formerly Pecoros7. Still tired.
« Reply #4 on: 23 Mar 2019, 14:23 »

Rosehips.

The cast all assume she would go by "Rose" or "Rosie", but her sisters all actually call her "Hips". The thought of calling her "Rose" never occurred to them.

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #5 on: 24 Mar 2019, 02:48 »

Rosehips.

The cast all assume she would go by "Rose" or "Rosie", but her sisters all actually call her "Hips". The thought of calling her "Rose" never occurred to them.

Them darn hipsters! *shaking fist*
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Gyrre

« Reply #6 on: 24 Mar 2019, 08:59 »

Rosehips.

Them darn hipsters! *shaking fist*
So you're suggesting it was Avacado's idea to shorten it to 'Hips'? :D
a real-ass gaddam sword

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #7 on: 24 Mar 2019, 19:24 »

Here's hoping Elliot goes in to see Roko and helps her get out of the 'face washing loop' she's in.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #8 on: 24 Mar 2019, 21:10 »

I think that she's moved beyond face washing.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Mr Intrepid

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #9 on: 24 Mar 2019, 21:14 »

Here's hoping Elliot goes in to see Roko and helps her get out of the 'face washing loop' she's in.
Ding, ding, ding!  Give them a cigar!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #10 on: 24 Mar 2019, 21:23 »

So it's considered awkward to see a robot naked. That says they're not simply treated as equal to organics, they're treated like organics.

Or is it just respecting their wishes? Momo wore a towel out of the shower even around a close female friend.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #11 on: 24 Mar 2019, 21:29 »

Yeah, we could discuss the implications of AI and clothing.

Or we could talk about the fact that Roko seems to be suffering a breakdown, to the point where she's willing to start disfiguring herself!

theMarc

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Oh God, it's all over my body.
« Reply #12 on: 24 Mar 2019, 22:17 »

Roko, that's not how soap works.
Be kind and generous to all people, even imaginary people who only exist in a webcomic, because that’s good practice for the real world.

Wired

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #13 on: 24 Mar 2019, 22:31 »

After reading the last week's thread, with all it's guesses... Just wanted to stop by and say I'm 99% certain what Jeph is trying to convey is that Roko is going through a kind of dissociation. The umbrella of dissociation is quite wide; and even fits 'regular' ol' PTSD under it(though this was already covered via Bubbles). She doesn't feel integrated with her body. She is depersonalized. (comic=3914, 3919, 3948, 3952, 3953, 3960, 3965, 3966). Now it's not certain if Robots in this universe are able to experience this, so I'll hang on to my hat - but I wanted to say I deeply appreciate the route this is seemingly taking.

If this is right - Dissociation is one of the most 'weird' and undiscussed mental illnesses and I'm glad someone, somewhere is tackling it and especially someone with reach. I have a strong desire to see how this plays out. Thank you, Jeph.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #14 on: 24 Mar 2019, 22:47 »

Or we could talk about the fact that Roko seems to be suffering a breakdown, to the point where she's willing to start disfiguring herself!

Or both, even.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

mercykills

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #15 on: 24 Mar 2019, 23:22 »

Yep! I'm with Elliot here. Once my friend starts talking about disfiguring themselves, nakkies or no-fucking-nakkies, I'm kicking in doors.

But, seriously, poor Roko. :( I feel so bad for her.

Hmmm...I remember Beeps said she never got to the point to where she felt "right" in her second body and she needed to get a third to be alright. I wonder if the insurance that paid for Roko's body takes such a thing into account and offers a "come back in, within 30/60/90 days and you can swap into another" type deal?

Mr Intrepid

« Reply #16 on: 24 Mar 2019, 23:51 »

And Melon isn't acting in her regular off the wall self in this strip. By any definition of the word, she's trying to talk Roko down from the edge.

cybersmurf

« Reply #17 on: 25 Mar 2019, 00:10 »

As much as AIs seem to be able to just go into a new body whenever they desire, getting one that looks the same seems to be harder, especially if they were to change it involuntarily.

I think, personally I can to a very little extent feel what Roko is going through. My experience has nothing to do with dissociation, but I guess moving to a new apartment may feel somewhat similar. It may take a while to feel at home, or that feeling may never come. Especially if it wasn't really your choice to move in the first place.

Coupled with the sensorium upgrade, the new body really may feel different. not much, but subtly, which makes it harder in my opinion.

I think we now see the side of Melon that makes her Roko's friend. Although she may be weird as hell, she is a good person underneath that... mess of a fruit salad.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #18 on: 25 Mar 2019, 00:11 »

Oh poor Roko! This is one of the really bad 'downs' for her isn't it? So bad  that she's self-harming, maybe even borderline suicidal? Thankfully, she has friends there so she doesn't have to cope with this meltdown alone. That said, I can see a scene coming where she is in a three-way hug and tells Elliot and Melon that she wishes she could cry.

And Melon isn't acting in her regular off the wall self in this strip. By any definition of the word, she's trying to talk Roko down from the edge.

Melon may be weird and whimsical but even she has an awareness of when someone's behaviour has become anomalous and alarming.

Elliot is the kind of guy who always is concerned with others' dignity and agency. He also is the sort of guy who would be very easily embarrassed by seeing someone naked, human or synthetic. The nudity taboo is a real and powerful thing, you know! :-P
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Scarlet Manuka

« Reply #19 on: 25 Mar 2019, 01:17 »

(now posting in the correct thread)

I do like that we're exploring more of Roko's issues with her new body, and I'm not qualified to talk about how realistic her progression is. So perhaps others here can comment: To me the only part that doesn't seem plausible is Roko calling for a vegetable peeler so soon after the "melon baller" incident. Opinions?

Though if that turns out to be a setup to drive some character growth for Melon as well, putting her in the responsible caretaker role with respect to Roko rather than the other way around, I'm happy to let it slide. Sometimes we have to make a few sacrifices to get the plot moving in the right direction, and it does seem like a tailor-made opportunity for Melon to finally succeed in making a relevant logical connection and progress beyond being mostly a comic relief sidekick.

Drunken Old Man

« Reply #20 on: 25 Mar 2019, 01:24 »

Jesus, poor Roko.  It's really Melon's plaintive attempt to understand what's happening that really hits me though.

Fine, I am beaten. Jeph wins.  If Spookybot can help with this, bring them on.  You'll hear nary a critical word from me as long as they're helping Roko.

cybersmurf

« Reply #21 on: 25 Mar 2019, 02:26 »

I do like that we're exploring more of Roko's issues with her new body, and I'm not qualified to talk about how realistic her progression is. So perhaps others here can comment: To me the only part that doesn't seem plausible is Roko calling for a vegetable peeler so soon after the "melon baller" incident. Opinions?

Negative feedback loop disregarding the actual consequences.

Quite often mental issues let humans disregard rational thoughts. That's why it's so hard for some people to understand the scope of depression, especially for some follow up issues.

In this very case a "paperclip reboot" may get rid of the immediate loop, but the underlying problem still remains.

my opinion, and that's my personal opinion and thus may be far from any applicability: maybe it would help Roko doing a routine she had in the past with her new body. Do something she knows how it should feel, and feel the differences to get a feeling for the new body. Might work if she was "doesn't feel like my body yet", but seeing her face she knows should be hers but doesn't feel like hers anymore most likely is something different entirely.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #22 on: 25 Mar 2019, 02:47 »

SOLUTION!

Small Ad.

WANTED: Roko old chassis type.
Will SWAP for SPARKLING NEW - UP TO DATE - UBER CHASSIS.
Reason: Dysphoria.

ACT NOW BEFORE THIS CHANCE IN A LIFETIME VANISHES!

(Too easy???)

Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #23 on: 25 Mar 2019, 03:17 »

SOLUTION!

Small Ad.

WANTED: Roko old chassis type.
Will SWAP for SPARKLING NEW - UP TO DATE - UBER CHASSIS.
Reason: Dysphoria.

ACT NOW BEFORE THIS CHANCE IN A LIFETIME VANISHES!

(Too easy???)

Yes, too easy. In-universe, Roko will still subconsciously know that it isn't her chassis and the problems will persist. IRL, I suspect that Jeph wants to have a character who is dealing with intermittent bursts of anxiety and other mental health issues (somewhat like what he has had to live with), so I doubt that there will be any miracle cures.
~~~~

Gyrre

« Reply #24 on: 25 Mar 2019, 03:21 »

Or both, even.
I'm mad at myself for hearing that as Snagglepuss's voice when I read it.
EDIT: fixing typo
« Last Edit: 25 Mar 2019, 04:19 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword

Y

• Curry sauce
« Reply #25 on: 25 Mar 2019, 03:50 »

So it's considered awkward to see a robot naked. That says they're not simply treated as equal to organics, they're treated like organics.

Or is it just respecting their wishes? Momo wore a towel out of the shower even around a close female friend.

I suppose that unless you're nudist, you don't want to be seen naked by your friends perhaps depending on gender unless they're naked too.

Also this being a comic means they have to do the same unrealistic thing as they do in movies: covering up after sex so it's not on camera.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #26 on: 25 Mar 2019, 04:00 »

Well, if any AI in QC is going to be self-conscious about being seen naked, it's going to be Roko, right?
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #27 on: 25 Mar 2019, 07:07 »

Called it.

One wonders why Roko wasn't referred to a AI therapist as a precaution once the body switch happened. These sort of issues can't be uncommon....

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #28 on: 25 Mar 2019, 07:41 »

I'm starting to think Roko would have been better of with a totally different chassis, rather than that similar-but-still-slightly-different one.

Hopefully, tomorrow's comic will not be Faye and Bubbles assessing the damage Roko inflicted to herself...
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

TheEvilDog

« Reply #29 on: 25 Mar 2019, 07:58 »

Elliot is the kind of guy who always is concerned with others' dignity and agency. He also is the sort of guy who would be very easily embarrassed by seeing someone naked, human or synthetic. The nudity taboo is a real and powerful thing, you know! :-P

I would rather have a moment of temporary embarrassment than the permanent horror of seeing someone taking a vegetable peeler to their own face.

What we need to remember about Roko as well is that her shifting to a chassis wasn't her choice. One moment she's just had a nice conversation with her friends, the next she's woken up and been told that her body has been crushed beyond repair, but hey that's okay, there's a shiny new chassis that covered by the other guy's insurance.

When an AI changes their chassis, they have a choice about it. It may take a while to get the settings right and as Beepatrice said, she didn't feel comfortable in her second chassis, but she felt much better in her third. But Roko never had that choice and in fact was told that her old model was now out of production, that's just pulling the rug out from under her again and again. She's never had the time to process what happened to her, to adapt and to make a decision for herself. Instead she was told "Here's chassis type A and here's type B. They're pretty much the same except B has a butt emblem", that's not a choice.

Just by comparison when someone loses a limb, they go through intensive psychological counselling to help them deal with the loss of the limb and to prepare them for the prosthetic they could end up getting. You have someone going from having a healthy limb, to a bloody and bandaged stump, to a healed end to where their limb used to be, to, depending on the model of the prosthetic which could be a claw to a lifelike but still fake replacement. That is a lot of mental trauma to work through and a lot of time to get to a place where healing can begin. And from what I can see, Roko didn't get that.

From what I've seen of the last major AI storylines (Bubbles' PTSD and Roko's dissociation), I believe Jeph is trying to say that although AI can be and are far more advanced than us in many way, their treatment of mental illness is almost medieval.

Case

• comeback tour!
  • Putting the 'mental' into judgemental
« Reply #30 on: 25 Mar 2019, 08:23 »

(now posting in the correct thread)

I've heard of a woman suffering quite severe OCD who used household cleaner on her throat. Gave a nice, detailed account of what that did to her mucous membranes (you really don't want to know) Read about another who effectively sandpapered his skin.

That's a) OCD, not body-dysphoria and b) Very very extreme cases - several classes above the OCD I experienced. Also, IIRC, both were in their late 30s/40s and therapy-resistant, which is, again, rather rare.

But yes, comparable shit is not unheard of in humans.
"Freedom is always the freedom of the dissenter" - Rosa Luxemburg
"The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you're a member of the Dunning-Kruger club. People miss that." - David Dunning
"Brains are assholes" - SitnSpin

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #31 on: 25 Mar 2019, 08:25 »

Called it.

One wonders why Roko wasn't referred to a AI therapist as a precaution once the body switch happened. These sort of issues can't be uncommon....
Common enough that there's a known range of reactions as Roko's is unusually intense.  Quoth Lemon, "You've been traumatized.  Give it a few days, and if you still don't feel any different, we can discuss further therapeutic options."

Melon ballers and vegetable peelers, that's a lot of kitchen gadgetry for someone who doesn't eat.  Did a previous tenant leave it behind, or is collecting stuff like that another of Roko's hobbies?

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #32 on: 25 Mar 2019, 08:31 »

Well Roko’s chassis has nipples so there’s some anatomical correctness.  I don’t think AIs are required to wear clothes, but they may be programmed with a sense that a naked AI with the features of a Barbie doll would be disturbing so they dress for the sake of convention.

cybersmurf

« Reply #33 on: 25 Mar 2019, 09:22 »

I'm starting to think Roko would have been better of with a totally different chassis, rather than that similar-but-still-slightly-different one.

Hopefully, tomorrow's comic will not be Faye and Bubbles assessing the damage Roko inflicted to herself...

Been thinking about that too. To this point, this is only the second similar chassis swap in all of QC - the other one being Pintsize. And let's be honest: that bugger wouldn't care much about what his chassis would look like.

And if Roko actually goes down this path, she'll find a reason for a new body. let's hope she won't be obsessed with switching bodies then - that's something I can imagine AIs may have a problem with.

Tyr

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #34 on: 25 Mar 2019, 10:51 »

I just had the image of Roko making a deliberate scar on the dermal. Self-harm done in a mirror to FORCE her mind to recognize this as her face.

"That's my scar on my face. It's Mine."
Just going through life.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #35 on: 25 Mar 2019, 11:35 »

I just had the image of Roko making a deliberate scar on the dermal. Self-harm done in a mirror to FORCE her mind to recognize this as her face.

"That's my scar on my face. It's Mine."

My worry would be that Roko wouldn't stop with just one scar.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #36 on: 25 Mar 2019, 12:58 »

After reading the last week's thread, with all it's guesses... Just wanted to stop by and say I'm 99% certain what Jeph is trying to convey is that Roko is going through a kind of dissociation. The umbrella of dissociation is quite wide; and even fits 'regular' ol' PTSD under it(though this was already covered via Bubbles). She doesn't feel integrated with her body. She is depersonalized. (comic=3914, 3919, 3948, 3952, 3953, 3960, 3965, 3966). Now it's not certain if Robots in this universe are able to experience this, so I'll hang on to my hat - but I wanted to say I deeply appreciate the route this is seemingly taking.

If this is right - Dissociation is one of the most 'weird' and undiscussed mental illnesses and I'm glad someone, somewhere is tackling it and especially someone with reach. I have a strong desire to see how this plays out. Thank you, Jeph.

Welcome, new person!

One of the most undiscussed, and also one of the sneakiest. When you're motionless on top of a pile of laundry for a week it's easy to figure out you're depressed. When you don't know you've done something, you don't know that there's an issue.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

BlueAmaranth

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #37 on: 25 Mar 2019, 13:22 »

Roko referring to her new chassis's face as "this face" instead of "my face" reminds me a bit of something that can happen in humans after brain trauma, where the patient is convinced that a body part doesn't belong to them. They might, for example, be convinced that there's someone else's leg in their bed with them and try to push it out of the bed. Similarly there are humans who understand that the offending limb is attached to their body, but feel profoundly that it's "wrong" for that limb to be there and will avidly pursue amputation.

Cheetaur

• Plantmonster
« Reply #38 on: 25 Mar 2019, 15:57 »

Poor Roko, she gets crushed now she cannot see herself behind what she thinks is a mask. :(

Rincewind

• Luck's my middle name-mind you,my first name's Bad
« Reply #39 on: 25 Mar 2019, 17:40 »

Instead of a scar to mark the new face as her own, maybe she could be persuaded to try a piercing, like Claire's perhaps.  She might find talking to Claire helpful, as one commenter mentioned earlier.
A)bort, R)etry, I)nfluence with large hammer.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #40 on: 25 Mar 2019, 18:42 »

“I was playing football at school,” Killick wrote in an email. “For some reason I looked down at my hands and my mind said, ‘They are not yours.’ I just started screaming and running in every direction in absolute horrendous fear.”

When he was only a few months old, Killick’s house was destroyed by a V2 rocket and he was rescued from beneath the rubble after being missing for two days. He subsequently endured a childhood of extreme physical and psychological abuse from both his parents and grandparents, precipitating (according to psychologists now) the disorder that still plays a large part in his life.

Depersonalisation disorder: the condition you’ve never heard of that affects millions

mercykills

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #41 on: 25 Mar 2019, 19:41 »

Och! My heart is breaking.

Every time I re-read the first panel, with every "I'm sorry.", I just feel more and more cracking inside. :(

God damn. There are no words.......

Gyrre

« Reply #42 on: 25 Mar 2019, 20:41 »

Me thinks Elliot has prior experience in talking someone down from an anxiety/dissociative spiral.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Milayna

« Reply #43 on: 25 Mar 2019, 20:47 »

I want to say something but I am not good enough at communicating, and too reserved, to figure out how to put it into words.

agggghhhhhhhhhhnnnnnnnnn feelings

Mr Intrepid

« Reply #44 on: 25 Mar 2019, 20:53 »

Me thinks Elliot has prior experience in talking someone down from an anxiety/dissociative spiral.
Elliot works at the Horrible Revelation.  So talking someone down to defuse a situation is something he does on a regular basis.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #45 on: 25 Mar 2019, 21:29 »

Elliot works at the Horrible Revelation.  So talking someone down to defuse a situation is something he does on a regular basis.

Yup.  I imagine most of his experience is with people who aren't in their right mind because of alcohol or other drugs (Bad Trip, Dude), but a lot of the same skills carry over.

JohnTheWysard

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #46 on: 25 Mar 2019, 22:38 »

As I was walkin' round Cambridge City,
'bout the hour of twelve at night
There I saw a fair pretty robot
Cutting her bangs by candlelight.
She had twenty, eighteen, sixteen, fourteen
Twelve ten eight six four two none;
Nineteen, seventeen, fifteen, thirteen
'leven, nine seven five three and one.

cybersmurf

« Reply #47 on: 25 Mar 2019, 23:38 »

Yeah, sounds a lot like de-escalation to me. Mostly aggression, with a bit of generally calming people down.
Let's hope Roko finds help before she has to pay for repairs or a new chassis.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #48 on: 26 Mar 2019, 00:23 »

It occurs to me that Melon isn't used to being the sensible one and it is a new and startling experience for her. Everything that's happened since Roko's accident has been shocking and frightening for her and I wonder if it will ultimately change her.

Meanwhile, Roko is continuing to demonstrate syptoms from the playbook of traumatic psychological side-effects. Right now, it's the "this is all my fault for being weak" part. I'm glad that Elliot seems to have some experience with this issue and knows how to refocus someone's mind on something other than the mad loop of feelings in their brains. That said, I really do wonder if Roko is going to be safe to leave on her own tonight.

"But then the mirrors... I didn't look right..." is heartbreaking really. This is something that won't go away soon and I do agree with what some on the Subreddit have sad about this reminding them of body image disorders like anorexia. Roko is going to be able to function mostly-normally and then she'll have a sudden surge and really need help to stop herself self-harming.

Finally... I wonder if Melon really does know what the next number will be? She's not demonstrated brilliant pattern-recognition skills in the past!
~~~~

TRenn

• Plantmonster
« Reply #49 on: 26 Mar 2019, 01:08 »

While I'm sure Roko doesn't object to Melon's attempts to be helpful, I have to wonder if it isn't just a little bit problematic. Since Roko's issue is that she doesn't "feel like herself," the fact that Melon isn't acting 100 percent like herself either might be a distraction (and not a good distraction).

So in panel 4, I'm imagining Roko thinking "THERE is our adorable little cloudcookoolander. Never change, Melon."
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up