Peach
Kiwi
Ananas (Pineapple)
Grape
Grapefruit
please no
one of the others (please specify)

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3966-3970 (25th-29th March, 2019)  (Read 26097 times)

Tai Fanboi

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • DeadWinter
Re: WCDT Strips 3966-3970 (25th-29th March, 2019)
« Reply #50 on: 26 Mar 2019, 04:17 »

Instead of a scar to mark the new face as her own, maybe she could be persuaded to try a piercing, like Claire's perhaps.  She might find talking to Claire helpful, as one commenter mentioned earlier.

Perhaps Skull-Master, Master of Skulls has a nice spray that would be right up her alley.
Oh god, I should've drunk more so I wouldn't remember that.

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.
« Reply #51 on: 26 Mar 2019, 04:22 »

I have this sinking feeling that Roko and Elliot's relationship* is going to have some dips that won't be satisfying for either of them. =x

*Not referring to romance.
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #52 on: 26 Mar 2019, 04:46 »

Instead of a scar to mark the new face as her own, maybe she could be persuaded to try a piercing, like Claire's perhaps.  She might find talking to Claire helpful, as one commenter mentioned earlier.

Perhaps Skull-Master, Master of Skulls has a nice spray that would be right up her alley.

A the time of the body-change, I suggested that Roko commission Sam to change the 'PG' logo on her butt (standing for 'Philomena-G') to 'RB' for 'Roko Basilisk'. It just seemed like a nice touch and a way of psychologically establishing ownership of the chassis.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #53 on: 26 Mar 2019, 05:27 »

Finally... I wonder if Melon really does know what the next number will be? She's not demonstrated brilliant pattern-recognition skills in the past!

Also, numbers just are an abstract concept.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #54 on: 26 Mar 2019, 05:31 »

I'm wondering though if making changes to the chassis would accomplish anything. There's a possibility that Roko could look in the mirror and just see a stranger looking back, this time with possibly piercings or any other such modification.

It seems to me that Roko's best course right now might be to engage in therapy. Which is easier said than done. Yes, there are AI support groups but that's pretty much AI sharing their experiences among humans, but I don't know if they would be equipped to deal with this kind of dissociation, or at least to the level where Roko was looking to damage herself. Likewise, while a human therapist might be able to help in some way, it would still be out of their purview.

A small perverse otter

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
  • Staying well enhydrated
« Reply #55 on: 26 Mar 2019, 06:29 »

As I was walkin' round Cambridge City,
'bout the hour of twelve at night
There I saw a fair pretty robot
Cutting her bangs by candlelight.
She had twenty, eighteen, sixteen, fourteen
Twelve ten eight six four two none;
Nineteen, seventeen, fifteen, thirteen
'leven, nine seven five three and one.
Yeah, but the difference is that when they come back to Cambrdige City, the AI will still be a 'pretty fair robot'. In the original, she's gone because she's aged along with him.

(Also, I think I'd modify l. 3-4 to read "There I saw a purple robot // Cutting her hairs by candlelight".)
"AGH! Humans are so STUPID sometimes!" -- QC #3668

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #56 on: 26 Mar 2019, 07:08 »

Well, glad Roko didn't do herself actual damage...  :-o

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #57 on: 26 Mar 2019, 09:28 »

While I'm sure Roko doesn't object to Melon's attempts to be helpful, I have to wonder if it isn't just a little bit problematic. Since Roko's issue is that she doesn't "feel like herself," the fact that Melon isn't acting 100 percent like herself either might be a distraction (and not a good distraction).

So in panel 4, I'm imagining Roko thinking "THERE is our adorable little cloudcookoolander. Never change, Melon."

What if that's exactly what Melon had in mind? What if she's doing the same thing as Elliot, offering Roko a predictable and orderly connection with the here-and-now?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

A small perverse otter

• Staying well enhydrated
« Reply #58 on: 26 Mar 2019, 13:08 »

Melon appears to be a scatterbrained airhead -- but I wonder how much of that is obfuscation. She has a really good sense of what to do in an emergency, and she only does ridiculous things when it doesn't matter. Could it be that she's a clown, not an airhead?
"AGH! Humans are so STUPID sometimes!" -- QC #3668

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #59 on: 26 Mar 2019, 13:21 »

If only the consequences of real-life trauma could be resolved as simply as getting a new piercing or butt emblem...

Roko will need to investigate therapy options, as Lemon suggested.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #60 on: 26 Mar 2019, 14:10 »

After reading the last week's thread, with all it's guesses... Just wanted to stop by and say I'm 99% certain what Jeph is trying to convey is that Roko is going through a kind of dissociation. The umbrella of dissociation is quite wide; and even fits 'regular' ol' PTSD under it(though this was already covered via Bubbles). She doesn't feel integrated with her body. She is depersonalized. (comic=3914, 3919, 3948, 3952, 3953, 3960, 3965, 3966). Now it's not certain if Robots in this universe are able to experience this, so I'll hang on to my hat - but I wanted to say I deeply appreciate the route this is seemingly taking.

If this is right - Dissociation is one of the most 'weird' and undiscussed mental illnesses and I'm glad someone, somewhere is tackling it and especially someone with reach. I have a strong desire to see how this plays out. Thank you, Jeph.

Hey! One of my partners gets dissociative seizures sometimes as a symptom of her PTSD. Thanks for being the person that posted about this, I didn't even consider it.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

cybersmurf

« Reply #61 on: 26 Mar 2019, 14:13 »

Melon appears to be a scatterbrained airhead -- but I wonder how much of that is obfuscation. She has a really good sense of what to do in an emergency, and she only does ridiculous things when it doesn't matter. Could it be that she's a clown, not an airhead?

obfuscation? not so much. careless? maybe sllightly. carefree? definetly.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #62 on: 26 Mar 2019, 14:18 »

>Could it be that she's a clown, not an airhead?

I was just reading about how teams can stay together. I think it was in the context of Mars missions. The researchers concluded from experiments that it's critical for group cohesion and effectiveness to have someone in the clown role.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

VolatileSky

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #63 on: 26 Mar 2019, 17:59 »

I think we now see the side of Melon that makes her Roko's friend. Although she may be weird as hell, she is a good person underneath that... mess of a fruit salad.

I think melon isn't being given enough credit. I've known a few, and am myself, prone to defaulting to our dominant personality traits as a form of social armour. I generally come off as incredibly abrasive and unfriendly with no interest in anyone, while others I've known are irreverent or get rid of the personal filter and sound/act like melon. The thing is they are not unintelligent, or lacking self awareness of how they/we are, but it is our form of coping and enabling us to at least interact with others. What's touching about melon in this strip, is that she very much is self aware of "how she is", and is framing her concern for her friend as best as she can, in a way that might be able to also get roko to come out.

I had one girl do this to me a couple times, but the more light hearted story of one time was in the context of a joke - I understood they have comprehension issues, and would get me to do ridiculous shit to help her "understand". The one that sticks out is me trying to explain how to use a teacup on a nipple piercing with salt water to soak it. Ended with me holding two teacups to my chest while they finally lost it and burst out laughing.

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #64 on: 26 Mar 2019, 19:55 »

new comic!

and the mystery of the kitchen gadgetry is solved.

TV4Fun

« Reply #65 on: 26 Mar 2019, 20:01 »

I hope Melon doesn't try to turn the whole universe into paperclips.

Corvid

• Not quite a lurker
  • NB|They/Them
    • tumblr
« Reply #66 on: 26 Mar 2019, 20:02 »

I keep forgetting Melon and Roko aren't actually roommates

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #67 on: 26 Mar 2019, 20:03 »

Don't worry, Roko. I'm a normal human with drawers of kitchen stuff I don't use...

Red_Scare

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #68 on: 26 Mar 2019, 20:03 »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I can see this being a pretty solid parallel with someone who's had facial reconstructive surgery after a brutal accident.

Imagine going through an extremely painful event, then go for long periods without even being able to see your face (whether due to bandages or simply being unconscious), then your body has fully recovered from the process and they let you go.

You'll feel relatively fine, physically, but then you look in the mirror and there's a face that looks almost like yours, but that "almost" is what makes it uncanny, it's just different enough to look off. It's like you're looking at an imperfect doppelganger of yourself. Of course you're gonna feel an urge to "fix" it, but trying to fix it will only make it worse.
« Last Edit: 26 Mar 2019, 20:27 by Red_Scare »

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #69 on: 26 Mar 2019, 20:13 »

New Comic.

I know folk like the romance, and drama and what have you, and that's cool! But personally, I think QC is strongest when it focuses on friendship, and people just..being there for each other, and helping each other be better, or heal, or what have you.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #70 on: 26 Mar 2019, 20:20 »

Isn't having an unofficial career as a counselor supposed to be the bartender's thing, not the bouncer's?  :D

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #71 on: 26 Mar 2019, 21:01 »

So it's considered awkward to see a robot naked. That says they're not simply treated as equal to organics, they're treated like organics.

Or is it just respecting their wishes? Momo wore a towel out of the shower even around a close female friend.

Well Roko’s chassis has nipples so there’s some anatomical correctness.  I don’t think AIs are required to wear clothes, but they may be programmed with a sense that a naked AI with the features of a Barbie doll would be disturbing so they dress for the sake of convention.

Wait, what?
When was it established her new chassis had nipples?
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

ANeM

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #72 on: 26 Mar 2019, 21:22 »

Congratulations Roko, you now have a human friend who lives in close proximity that you could make bread for without it being unexpected or weird. Those cooking utensils are a self fulfilling prophecy.

Mr Intrepid

« Reply #73 on: 26 Mar 2019, 21:32 »

"It was a lie and I knew it".  Roko seems to have a issue with her identity as an AI.  It looks like she doesnt want be seen as an other.  She has a deep seated need to be accepted by humans,  hence the cooking gear.  Although Melon's roommate, we've seen,  cooks up things (non-edible) for her.  And, one would assume,  AIs could be employed in the food service industry.

alc40

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #74 on: 26 Mar 2019, 21:33 »

Wait, what?
When was it established her new chassis had nipples?
https://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3914

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Tyr

• Larger than most fish
« Reply #76 on: 26 Mar 2019, 23:53 »

Congratulations Roko, you now have a human friend who lives in close proximity that you could make bread for without it being unexpected or weird. Those cooking utensils are a self fulfilling prophecy.
Not to mention Faye and Clinton, who would probably react favorably to a 'hey, I wish to fabricate and insert nutrition into some organics. Please join me so as to ensure I create something edible, if not delicious, and that I do not waste ingredients." 

Faye's struggling to make ends meet. Clinton is a college student. Both would appreciate a free meal or three a week, if Roko can afford it.
Just going through life.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #77 on: 27 Mar 2019, 00:29 »

I've said as far back as the night Roko and O'Malley got drunk together that I think she's very isolated and lonely. Today's strip just re-emphasises in my mind that Roko desperately wants friends and connections, especially with humans and, somehow, her extremely human-like quirks only builds on this. This is another flavour of the synthetic in Jeph's universe: The synthetic woman who, on a certain level, feels more human than synthetic in her own mind and wants to be part of the human community.

My heart breaks for Melon though. She's used to Roko being strong and the one who helps her, not the other way around. I've said before that there is a childlike aspect about her and I think we're seeing it here. I draw parallels with pre-teen children whose parents need care themselves and the degree to which this undermines their own lives.

Not to mention Faye and Clinton, who would probably react favorably to a 'hey, I wish to fabricate and insert nutrition into some organics. Please join me so as to ensure I create something edible, if not delicious, and that I do not waste ingredients." 

I do think that a dinner party at Roko's is likely to happen at some point in the future.
~~~~

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #78 on: 27 Mar 2019, 03:14 »

The part about cooking implements and human friends seems to show Roko's issues might not be as new as we thought...

Melon's face in the first panel is priceless. She's really sweet, even she has a really distant relation with reality.
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

Meander

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #79 on: 27 Mar 2019, 03:26 »

Now that the utensil issue is settled...

How does Melon pay rent?

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #80 on: 27 Mar 2019, 03:31 »

How does Melon pay rent?

She has a job - She plays the victim in a scorpion pit in a Chamber of Horrors show somewhere.
~~~~

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #81 on: 27 Mar 2019, 07:53 »

How does Melon pay rent?

She has a job - She plays the victim in a scorpion pit in a Chamber of Horrors show somewhere.

...or something even more disturbing.

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #82 on: 27 Mar 2019, 09:37 »

Isn't having an unofficial career as a counselor supposed to be the bartender's thing, not the bouncer's?  :D
Taking it back a layer, there are official counselors but cops are often called upon to be unofficial or even semi-official counselors.  (After all, a bouncer is a business establishment's internal policeperson.)

In that, Roko and Elliot have much in common.  I hope Jeph makes them an item.  She needs a buffet-my-bottom-with-bread-in-bed buddy and while he may not share that particular kink, he's certainly not put off by it.*

*I know, it's shipping, but it's sufficiently amusing I think to justify a waiver.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #83 on: 27 Mar 2019, 13:44 »

The shipping rule is in place for a reason, but honestly Roko really should be with a baker for life. The things they would bake for her, and in such shapes...
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #84 on: 27 Mar 2019, 15:28 »

Buh-buh-buh-bread?

Perfectly Reasonable

• Be nice to everybody. So you're better than them.
« Reply #85 on: 27 Mar 2019, 17:13 »

It's... It's looking at me...
What would I do if I were smart?
I guess first I'd stop taking the stupid pills.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #86 on: 27 Mar 2019, 19:49 »

Hey, Spookybot! *lol*

Mr Intrepid

« Reply #87 on: 27 Mar 2019, 19:54 »

Yup, Spookybot.  Generally, they're a bunch of jerks, but I'm kinda glad they're monitoring Roko.  I wonder if Roko will be visited in her sleep?

Also, it would seem they are gendered?
Also,  Racoons?  They occupy a real space in the QC universe?
Also,  Azothoth?

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #88 on: 27 Mar 2019, 20:02 »

Where are you getting gendering?  They use plural pronouns, dress ambiguously...

Azathoth is their dog.  Or possibly dogs?  I don't remember for sure if they have more than one.

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #89 on: 27 Mar 2019, 20:05 »

Azothoth.
I see what Jeph did there.

Mr Intrepid

« Reply #90 on: 27 Mar 2019, 21:40 »

Where are you getting gendering?  They use plural pronouns, dress ambiguously...

Azathoth is their dog.  Or possibly dogs?  I don't remember for sure if they have more than one.
I was looking at the shorts and crop top on the right.  Or did I badly misread that?  If so, I apologize if I offended.

Corvid

• Not quite a lurker
  • NB|They/Them
    • tumblr
« Reply #91 on: 27 Mar 2019, 21:50 »

nothing gendered about a crop top and shorts, anyone can totally rock it!!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #92 on: 27 Mar 2019, 22:09 »

Raccoons have appeared in several strips.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

cybersmurf

« Reply #93 on: 28 Mar 2019, 00:12 »

Raccoons have appeared in several strips.

And talked about being fried.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #94 on: 28 Mar 2019, 00:27 »

Melon is so sweet in this strip; a child wanting reassurance but still determined to help if she can. I really think that Roko has developed an appreciation for her that she's never had before. There is a strength to that wacky cloudcuckoolander when it comes to her friend! I also think it greatly reassures Roko to know that she does have friends, not just acquaintances, nearby in her time of need.

There's actually a lot of meat to panel 6 and how Jeph shows the Spookybot Nodes. For the first time, we see them acting as individuals or at least as not being of one mind. I'm wondering if this is indicating they have a degree of independence or whether or not we're seeing different aspects of Spookybot debating on the next step. Sort of a literal Id, Ego and Superego or something like that.

I'm also looking at the stars outside the window. Is it night wherever they are, or are they on a shielded orbital of some kind? Fascinating to speculate!
~~~~

cybersmurf

« Reply #95 on: 28 Mar 2019, 01:49 »

Let's be honest - we all have that one wacky friend. And for Roko that's Melon.
And for Marten? ... in the beginning it probably was Faye, but I guess for him it's the inverted rule. he probably has that one mundane friend, somewhere.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #96 on: 28 Mar 2019, 03:40 »

I'm also looking at the stars outside the window. Is it night wherever they are, or are they on a shielded orbital of some kind? Fascinating to speculate!

A space station with raccoons... That would be Marvelous!

(click to show/hide)

Tai Fanboi

• DeadWinter
« Reply #97 on: 28 Mar 2019, 04:48 »

Can I just say Spookybots shelf is huuuuuuge.  I'm assuming it's some sort of 2 band, black powder musket on that shelf, most common would be the Enfield Navy 2 band pattern.  Could be a Springfield trapdoor variant but hard to tell from such a small image.  Regardless the Enfield would come in around 55 inches and depending on Springfield Variant, could be the cadet model with a Buffington rear sight, that would come in around 49 inches.  Given what we know about Spookybot though, for some reason I feel the Enfield would be more fitting.  Seems to me Spookybot would have something that was more involved in history and conflict for some reason, I don't even know why I go there, just a feeling.  Considering the Enfield was used in British Colonial expansion, and then also by both sides in the American Civil War it does have some history behind it...

Sorry...  Small arms and the like is one of the fields I've always been interested and researching.  Back to your normally scheduled QC Strip, already in progress.
Oh god, I should've drunk more so I wouldn't remember that.

Taevyr

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #98 on: 28 Mar 2019, 05:25 »

Anyone else notice that Spookybot's speech bubbles are, well, actual bubbles in the last panel, instead of the rectangular ones he/she and other AI normally have?

Mistake by Jeph, or could there be more behind it?

cybersmurf

« Reply #99 on: 28 Mar 2019, 05:31 »

Sorry...  Small arms and the like is one of the fields I've always been interested and researching.  Back to your normally scheduled QC Strip, already in progress.

To each their own.

And you might be right, spookybutt being interested in conflict and how it was resolved is quite the possibility. As they say they are too powerful to have what we call morals, it's probably a fitting research subject. Pair it with History, and add a dash of intentional anachronism, et viola - we arrive at this point.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up