Peach
Kiwi
Ananas (Pineapple)
Grape
Grapefruit
please no
one of the others (please specify)

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3966-3970 (25th-29th March, 2019)  (Read 26071 times)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
Re: WCDT Strips 3966-3970 (25th-29th March, 2019)
« Reply #100 on: 28 Mar 2019, 05:32 »

Anyone else notice that Spookybot's speech bubbles are, well, actual bubbles in the last panel, instead of the rectangular ones he/she and other AI normally have?

Mistake by Jeph, or could there be more behind it?

IIRC, Spookybot has has human-style speech bubbles more often than rectangular robotic ones. It's just another reminder of how very advanced they are.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #101 on: 28 Mar 2019, 08:01 »

Anyone else notice that Spookybot's speech bubbles are, well, actual bubbles in the last panel, instead of the rectangular ones he/she and other AI normally have?

Mistake by Jeph, or could there be more behind it?

IIRC, Spookybot has has human-style speech bubbles more often than rectangular robotic ones. It's just another reminder of how very advanced they are.

Are you telling me they made their own speech synthesis programs? I admit I think they'd fine tune it to their hardware, just because they can. And they were bored.

I always figured the rectangular speech bubbles had a synthetic sound, and the font just varied the degree. Thus, having round speech bubbles gave away a rather natural degree of speaking.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #102 on: 28 Mar 2019, 08:58 »

There's actually a lot of meat to panel 6 and how Jeph shows the Spookybot Nodes. For the first time, we see them acting as individuals or at least as not being of one mind. I'm wondering if this is indicating they have a degree of independence or whether or not we're seeing different aspects of Spookybot debating on the next step. Sort of a literal Id, Ego and Superego or something like that.

I'm also looking at the stars outside the window. Is it night wherever they are, or are they on a shielded orbital of some kind? Fascinating to speculate!

When Spooky was making friends with Roko they did say they argue among themselves over things. That's part of the reason they want a friend. Someone outside the Spooky collective that they can bounce ideas off of. They don't seem to have particularly different personalities though, traditional among the 'one mind split between may bodies' trope. So it seems more an issue of what for other people are internal conversations with themselves, only actually having bodies to do the talking.

It makes me wonder if they are actually of one mind, or have some sort of wireless communication. I would image they merge and compare memories perhaps when they are recharging their bodies. That would keep difference from experience from becoming too great, and there for individual Spooky bodies from becoming independent beings. But still give reason why they would bother talking to each other at all, given that transferring information wirelessly would be faster. At least that's what I assume. It could be that Spooky is one super AI that's controlling all of their bodies at the same time, but is quirky or insane enough to want to use them like puppets to talk to themselves.

I think that Spooky's apartment we keep seeing is somewhere in or around the Northampton area. While very good at sneaking up on people there has been no sign of teleportation being a thing that's within the tech level of the QC world. It could potentially be possible that Spooky or maybe other powerful AIs have worked it out and decided to not reveal it to the public. But we  know you need a shuttle to get to space stations and back. So in the unlikely chance transporters exist, they aren't common.

The last time we saw Spooky's apartment we saw their dogs... Greyhounds or whippets I think, like Azathoth. And one of the Spookybots was dusting spare or recharging bodies. So I doubt that it's just a mental space created by Spookybot. Given these things, I theorize that either Spooky lives in the area, or more likely they saw interesting things going on in Northampton and got an apartment there, as a satellite hub for their consciousness/storage for their bodies. I suspect there are similar apartments in many places around the country or world, and they'll set up a new one when they find a place that's interesting to them.

As far as it's being dark out... It's night time. All of this was happening after people got off of work. We know Elliot works days a the bakery. Afterwards they went back to Roko's apartment to hang out some and they stayed with her a bit after her freak out to comfort her. And then Roko said she was going to recharge early... I would take that to mean it's early evening at this point. Alternately it might not be dark in Northampton but it is where Spookybot's apartment is. And they just keep recharging cubicles or something for their bodies in Northampton.

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #103 on: 28 Mar 2019, 10:26 »

Sounds like Christians pondering the Trinity.  It's enough to make you turn Unitarian.

Mordhaus

• Furry furrier
« Reply #104 on: 28 Mar 2019, 14:22 »

Mr Intrepid

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #105 on: 28 Mar 2019, 19:47 »

Hi Claire,  long time no see.

Buck up.  You can do this..

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #106 on: 28 Mar 2019, 20:23 »

Wow. Claire without glasses looks very different.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Corvid

• Not quite a lurker
  • NB|They/Them
    • tumblr
« Reply #107 on: 28 Mar 2019, 21:09 »

Okay that haircut is so goddamn cute

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #108 on: 28 Mar 2019, 22:54 »

nothing gendered about a crop top and shorts, anyone can totally rock it!!

Yeah, no. Croptops are sort of like muttonchops, they only suit some people.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Corvid

• Not quite a lurker
  • NB|They/Them
    • tumblr
« Reply #109 on: 28 Mar 2019, 23:54 »

I respectfully disagree, I don't think you need a particular body type to be able to pull anything off. Rocking what you're wearing is more about how confident you feel wearing it than it is what you're actually wearing. If you think you look good, people tend to agree. And those who don't? fuck 'em

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #110 on: 29 Mar 2019, 00:05 »

I've got to say that today's strip is about 100% in-character for Claire! Whilst I think we've all been there in one way or another, somehow, it's very Claire that she'd spend a few minutes talking herself up before succumbing to anxiety and trying to find a way to hide. It is even more Claire that she would find a cute way to do so. I suspect that Marten genuinely does not know precisely how to react to the Clairesylis on the bed.

As for Claire's new hairdo... Well, she has said that she likes it short and there is something about the Brun-style floof poof on her head that seems in-character for her too. I'll still always remember her old hip-length hair with affection but I've got to say that I get why she might have preferred it shorter.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #111 on: 29 Mar 2019, 00:12 »

I respectfully disagree, I don't think you need a particular body type to be able to pull anything off. Rocking what you're wearing is more about how confident you feel wearing it than it is what you're actually wearing. If you think you look good, people tend to agree. And those who don't? fuck 'em

Like pretty much anything to do with aesthetics, there are as many opinions as there are people.  I can't pull off a crop top - in large part because I don't think I can.  Many people would say that with my fat upper arms I can't wear sleeveless shirts either, and yet in the summer it takes either a really cool day or a really cute dress/shirt to get me to wear sleeves.  Because fuck 'em, I do what I want.

cybersmurf

« Reply #112 on: 29 Mar 2019, 00:50 »

Like pretty much anything to do with aesthetics, there are as many opinions as there are people.  I can't pull off a crop top - in large part because I don't think I can.  Many people would say that with my fat upper arms I can't wear sleeveless shirts either, and yet in the summer it takes either a really cool day or a really cute dress/shirt to get me to wear sleeves.  Because fuck 'em, I do what I want.

Pulling off a crop top is easy, otherwise they'd be a bitch to put on. Daring to put it on in the first place ain't that easy though.

As for Claire's new hairdo... Well, she has said that she likes it short and there is something about the Brun-style floof poof on her head that seems in-character for her too. I'll still always remember her old hip-length hair with affection but I've got to say that I get why she might have preferred it shorter.

I think Brun's hair is a different kind of poof, personally I suspect just stronger, thicker hair, while Claire's has more of a mind of its own.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #113 on: 29 Mar 2019, 00:53 »

Anybody can 'pull off' any clothes they wish to wear.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Gyrre

« Reply #114 on: 29 Mar 2019, 01:11 »

I didn't say squat about body tyrpes.
It's the accompanying head shape that messes with it. Actually, I'm not sure what my brain's logic is on that.
Example:
Just look at the cartoon X-Men Evolution. Fred Dukes would look fine in a crop top, but Logan would look weird.

In the literal sense, yes, but I'd argue on hats.

I look terrible in any hat that's fashioned after 1950, and a can't wear certain colors without it literally making my skin look green (any yellow brighter than mustard yellow, any orange more saturated than ochre).

EDIT: strikethrough for uncertainty.
« Last Edit: 29 Mar 2019, 01:24 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword

Tai Fanboi

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • DeadWinter
« Reply #115 on: 29 Mar 2019, 04:28 »

And it can be even more fun when you have someone else to pull'em off for you.

I kid, I kid, and i miss claire's long hair, but I definitely approve of the burrito maneuver.  I do that when my alarm goes off lately...  Stupid 90+ hour work weeks :(
Oh god, I should've drunk more so I wouldn't remember that.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #116 on: 29 Mar 2019, 06:51 »

And it can be even more fun when you have someone else to pull'em off for you.

GROUCHO FTW
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #117 on: 29 Mar 2019, 07:43 »

in the summer it takes either a really cool day or a really cute dress/shirt to get me to wear sleeves.  Because fuck 'em, I do what I want.
Sleeves are bullshit.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

cybersmurf

« Reply #118 on: 29 Mar 2019, 11:03 »

in the summer it takes either a really cool day or a really cute dress/shirt to get me to wear sleeves.  Because fuck 'em, I do what I want.
Sleeves are bullshit.

wifebeaters FTW!

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #119 on: 29 Mar 2019, 13:11 »

Sleeves are bullshit.
Hi Marisha.

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #120 on: 29 Mar 2019, 13:32 »

It's all tank tops or tee shirts with sleeves cut off for me. I worked hard for these guns, I'mma show em off.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Stoutfellow

• Curry sauce
« Reply #121 on: 29 Mar 2019, 13:41 »

Did anyone else start hearing Helen Reddy's voice when they hit panel two?

OldGoat

« Reply #122 on: 29 Mar 2019, 23:47 »

Did anyone else start hearing Helen Reddy's voice when they hit panel two?
With the last panel I could hear her singing "Leave me alone, just leave me alone..."

Poor Claire.  Unfreak her, Marty.

Quantum Glass

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #123 on: 30 Mar 2019, 01:56 »

Oh, they're back to using human textboxes.

I'm still trying to figure out the significance of that.

Gyrre

« Reply #124 on: 01 Apr 2019, 10:55 »

Looks like Durian came in 1st place, with Kiwi and Peach in 2nd and 3rd.

Berry and grape came in dead last with zero votes.
a real-ass gaddam sword

OldGoat

« Reply #125 on: 01 Apr 2019, 16:07 »

Looks like Durian came in 1st place, with Kiwi and Peach in 2nd and 3rd.

Berry and grape came in dead last with zero votes.
My waiter buddy at my favorite Pho place was flabbergasted when this white boy ordered a durian smoothie.  Someday I'll get a chance to try the stuff in its natural form.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #126 on: 01 Apr 2019, 19:42 »

Durian is, at least for me strange.  It can vary in taste between light and sweet, and something akin to how it smells, sometimes in the same mouthful. 
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #127 on: 02 Apr 2019, 07:34 »

Durian is, at least for me strange.  It can vary in taste between light and sweet, and something akin to how it smells, sometimes in the same mouthful.
Ah turpentine with just a hint of lacquer thinner and maybe some naphthalene mixed into the bouquet.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Gyrre

« Reply #128 on: 02 Apr 2019, 10:38 »

I've never tried it, and I hesitate to try to smell it (sensitive sense of smell).
a real-ass gaddam sword

Milayna

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #129 on: 02 Apr 2019, 11:09 »

A Filipina friend had some durian candy at a con once. Aside from her, I was the only one who could stand it. I wouldn't go out of my way for it, but it wasn't bad.

@comic I saved up my money from work to put myself through an associate's degree at community college and when I was done my dad yelled at me that I "didn't even try" because of a mistake and stomped off to pout. Marten is good people though.

cybersmurf

« Reply #130 on: 02 Apr 2019, 15:05 »

Marten is good people though.

To a fault, for those who are close to him. Look at how he reacted to Faye flat out telling Angus about her dad's suicide. How natural his relationship with Claire is evolving. Look at his circle of friends - Faye (as one of the more normal ones), Hanners, Emily, Claire (yes, she's more than "just" his lover), Bubbles (for whatever reason I consider her more human than robot). Personally, I don't consider anyone else "special" (maybe except Brun, but she isn't really friends with Marten)

Am I the only one, or does the Cast page need an overhaul?

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #131 on: 02 Apr 2019, 16:10 »

I can't recall a time when the cast page hasn't needed an overhaul!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

OldGoat

« Reply #132 on: 02 Apr 2019, 21:52 »

Am I the only one, or does the Cast page need an overhaul?
You are not the only one.  Maybe Jeph will be willing to delegate the task to one of the senior ancient old-timers who remembers all the characters from when they were just ink squiggles.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up