THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 16 Apr 2024, 04:56
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Why do you think AI beings exist in this world?

They created themselves without human involement.
- 3 (17.6%)
To help with mundain tasks and they evolved into sentient beings
- 4 (23.5%)
to fulfil a sexual need.
- 2 (11.8%)
to be companions for humans.
- 0 (0%)
To do dangerous tasks.
- 1 (5.9%)
Entertainment purposes.
- 2 (11.8%)
Other (explain please and thanks)
- 5 (29.4%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: 25 Apr 2019, 21:24

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: AI existence  (Read 3892 times)

Cheetaur

• Plantmonster
AI existence
« on: 26 Mar 2019, 21:24 »

Thanks to all who precipitated in my poll.

I have wondered about this myself...since a lot of them seem to be individuals and not really fitting into a category. So I thought a poll might see what others thought. Left the last one as an explain, if you have another idea that i didn't think of (that's a good probability) I'd love to hear it. Thanks to all who participate.

Cheetaur 
« Last Edit: 06 May 2019, 23:14 by Cheetaur »

alc40

• Emoticontraindication
Re: AI existence
« Reply #1 on: 26 Mar 2019, 21:53 »

Do you mean the first AI in the QC universe or any/all of them that are now around?  If the former, it seems that the first AI was created by human researchers.  My guess for the reason would be a parallel with much of AI research in our world: to see if they could.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #2 on: 27 Mar 2019, 01:43 »

Jeph has hinted that it was partly accident and the researchers did not know why or how they succeeded. It was a strip where Winslow asked Hannelore the origin question.

Humans are like Tolkien's elves, always wanting to wake things up and talk to them. Whatever practical goal there was, I think the fundamental driver was to have someone to talk to. That ties in with the early and wide success of companion AIs.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Zebediah

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • I'm a bandicoot!
« Reply #3 on: 27 Mar 2019, 04:03 »

We created them because we could. Nobody bothered to ask if we should.
"It CAN'T be a bad decision, it resulted in CARROT CAKE!"

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #4 on: 27 Mar 2019, 04:12 »

Hannelore explained the origin of QC's AIs in comic 1506.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #5 on: 27 Mar 2019, 08:53 »

You haven't sat down and binge-read the entire QC archive yet, have you?  It isn't exactly a requirement, but it's seen as a demonstration that you are sufficiently touched in the head to be One of Us.

cybersmurf

« Reply #6 on: 27 Mar 2019, 09:10 »

You haven't sat down and binge-read the entire QC archive yet, have you?  It isn't exactly a requirement, but it's seen as a demonstration that you are sufficiently touched in the head to be One of Us.

it's been a few years for me, since I read it front to back. I sometimes "random dive" though.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #7 on: 27 Mar 2019, 23:18 »

Pssst. I haven't either. I happened to recall the line "emergent intelligence" being used at some point in the past and looked for it in the QC wiki.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

cybersmurf

« Reply #8 on: 28 Mar 2019, 05:26 »

That is how you get Swarm or Hive Intelligence. Combine enough small minds, and you may get one smart collective.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Cheetaur

• Plantmonster
« Reply #9 on: 28 Mar 2019, 07:51 »

So i guess sexual satisfaction does factor into this ...hmmmm

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #10 on: 28 Mar 2019, 09:05 »

I think the libido thing just happened to be there as part of the package.
My guess is that they used the human brain / mind as a model and some of the extraneous bits were copied as well because - hey we don't know if its important or not so lets just leave it in.
Like the arrestor hooks on the Russian knockoff F14s long before they even had carriers capable of carrying them.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #11 on: 29 Mar 2019, 02:52 »

it's been a few years for me, since I read it front to back. I sometimes "random dive" though.
If you start with that, it can make it pretty difficult to pinpoint when exactly you started reading QC. Especially if you can read a page within a second or two (or less) of it loading.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.
Pages: [1]   Go Up