...no?
Yes
No
NO!
maybe
space ham
I refuse to answer questions of morality

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3971-3975 (April 1st-5th)  (Read 31424 times)

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
Re: WCDT Strips 3971-3975 (April 1st-5th)
« Reply #50 on: 02 Apr 2019, 07:38 »

>ten gallons of prop wash or a few hundred feet of flight line.

Back when radios used vacuum tubes, the junior guy in a Signal Corps team was sent to Supply to get a Fallopian tube.

It's not just in the service. When my prison pen pal had a job in the warehouse there, her boss would tell her to bring him things like a pallet repair kit or a Fahrenheit compensator.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Thrudd

• Scrabble hacker
  • Sucess Redefined
« Reply #51 on: 02 Apr 2019, 08:31 »

Don't forget the classic car engine part know as a Henway.

What's a Henway you may ask?

About 2 pounds.
A good pun is it's own reword.
There is a difference between spare parts, extra parts and left over parts.

The Venn diagram  for Common Sense and Good Sense has very little, if any, overlap.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #52 on: 02 Apr 2019, 08:40 »

Talking of April Fools .. (yes we were!!!!))  Minecraft did a fun one.
It's still up on their launcher.

(click to show/hide)

:)
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #53 on: 02 Apr 2019, 09:30 »

Ingress did a rather silly one, where every set of glyphs included one called "toast" that hitherto had not existed.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #54 on: 02 Apr 2019, 10:34 »

Learning quite a bit about pranks and tar.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #55 on: 02 Apr 2019, 14:51 »

Stackoverflow had a somewhat annoying one - unicorns, 90s design and a sparkly mouse trail.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

War Sparrow

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #56 on: 02 Apr 2019, 14:54 »

I simultaneously loved Stackoverflow's, and found it annoying as hell.

cybersmurf

« Reply #57 on: 02 Apr 2019, 15:05 »

I simultaneously loved Stackoverflow's, and found it annoying as hell.

Annoyingly glorious, yes.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #58 on: 02 Apr 2019, 19:12 »

I hadn't seen it (I never seem to find these things), so I found a YouTube video on it.

That was great. The glittery mouse trail, under construction, comic sans, the terrible tiled background image. The terrible welcome-to-our-website banner. Big changes for Y2K! Only thing missing was a "best viewed in IE" graphic.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Mr Intrepid

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #59 on: 02 Apr 2019, 19:26 »

Welp, here we go.  Good to see Crushbot is trying to move past his past and turn over a new leaf. 

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #60 on: 02 Apr 2019, 20:24 »

Poor Crushbot.

Random thought: can robots cheat on tests via wifi internet access? Do QC testing areas have wireless scramblers to prevent that?

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #61 on: 02 Apr 2019, 20:30 »

Depending on how much local storage he has, wifi might not even matter.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #62 on: 02 Apr 2019, 22:24 »

"Tarring & Feathering" was (and is) somewhat of an ad-hoc effort.  It's kind of lynching lite and isn't supposed to result in any fatalities or permanent injuries.  I recall one tale of a fellow in the US Midwest in the 1920s or '30s who the narrator claimed to have seen receive the treatment.  Seems he arrived in town saying he represented a prospecting firm and they were sure their was oil in the area, and they only needed the villagers' help raising capital for the well that would most certainly make them all rich.  Poor fellow didn't know his older cousin had come through a couple years earlier running the same scam.  Aside from the very abbreviate form of due process applied, I find it difficult to generate much sympathy for the recipients of the treatment in those few accounts I've read or heard stories of.

If there's a tar & feathers manual, I've never located a copy.  I imagine they used whatever they had at hand that was sufficiently sticky.  (I may or may not have first hand knowledge of a bottle or so of Br'er Rabbit molasses being pressed into service.)  I understand that sawdust and planer shavings or even dust bunnies from under the dorm common room sofa can make a decent substitute for feathers.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #63 on: 02 Apr 2019, 22:52 »

If there's a tar & feathers manual, I've never located a copy.

Let me help you out there.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #64 on: 02 Apr 2019, 23:15 »

Poor Crushbot! However, as good as it is to have a dream, you've got to make sure that you're going about it the right way or you're just setting yourself up for failure and embarrassment, the way Crushbot did here!

I do love the way Jeph occasionally does a strip to remind us of how weird 'reality' is in his fictional Northampton. A girl dressed as a fairy having a one-woman parade in the streets and a demolition robot who wants to be a librarian are just parts of that psychedelic landscape!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Gyrre

« Reply #65 on: 02 Apr 2019, 23:17 »

Seems to be a link for how to use twitter
a real-ass gaddam sword

TheEvilDog

« Reply #66 on: 02 Apr 2019, 23:52 »

That's the joke.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #67 on: 03 Apr 2019, 01:01 »

A blue and pink tie, on yellow? Seriously, Crushbot?

On a more serious note, do AIs need to take classes (and pass exams), or can they just download the needed knowledge?
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #68 on: 03 Apr 2019, 01:36 »

On a more serious note, do AIs need to take classes (and pass exams), or can they just download the needed knowledge?

AIs' minds work very much like those of humans. Whilst they can download data, they can only read it back as if it were an electronic book. They do not have the ability to automatically use that data in a practical way until they have applied it a few times in the actual real world. In essence, they can download the manuals but, because of the way they work, they're not really skills, just raw information that may not actually mean anything to them.
~~~~

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #69 on: 03 Apr 2019, 02:55 »

Seems to be a link for how to use twitter

That's the joke.

Dammit, I left off the jokingnotjoking hashtag again.

Tai Fanboi

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • DeadWinter
« Reply #70 on: 03 Apr 2019, 05:45 »

There are varying accounts from the middle ages but during the US revolution Pine Tar was used, not the "tar" most people think now with road crews and asphalt (syrup and cat tails were used if supplies were nto available).  But the Pine Tar was heated, boils around 135-145 degrees which isn't too bad, but considering back in the old days it would be heated by camp fire or Franklin Stove, don't know how accurate you're going to get the temperature.  Some accounts make no mention of the application, while others mention boiling and blistering of the skin on application. 

One of the most brutal accounts on record though was the Second tarring and feathering of John Malcolm.  Ship Captain, British Officer, British Loyalist and Customs official who very much loved his job.  The first time he was tarred and feathered it was over his clothing which is considered a more "gentle" act of public humiliation and punishment.  The second one was quite different.  He was witnessed in an altercation with a young boy and threatened to strike him with his cane.  A local Patriot shoemaker, George Hewes, intervened.  Malcolm told him to stay out of it and "Not to interfere in the business of a Gentleman".  Hewes replied that at least he had never been tarred and feathered, to which Malcolm struck him in the forehead with his cane and knocked him cold. 

Now John Malcolm wasn't the most liked guy.  He had traveled North Carolina during the War of the Regulation.  Kind of a Revolutionary War "light", lasting from 1765 to 1771 where North Carolina citizens took up arms against what they viewed as corrupt officials.  John Malcolm took great pleasure in subduing some of the uprisings, adding in his tax collection and customs work and the all around general reports of how much he loved doing his work...  Well, not going to make you many friends in places like the Colonies. 

Later that night after he knocked out Hewes an angry mob formed outside his house.  Rather then back down he egged the crowd on, shouting "You say I was tarred and feathered, and that it was not done in a proper manner, damn you let me see the man that dare do it better!”.  The mob was agitated by that, partly due to a previous occurrence where another British Customs officer had killed an 11 year old boy and escaped punishment due to a Royal Pardon.  So, frustrated even more they most likely decided to take that frustration out on him.

He was taken from his home, stripped to the waist and marched to King Street.  Hot tar and feathers were applied and then he was marched to the Liberty Tree and ordered to apologize for his actions and also renounce his commission.  He refused, even when a noose was placed around his neck and he was threatened with Hanging.  He again refused, reportedly relenting only when the mob threatened to cut off his ears. 

I'll put the next part in spoilers since it's a bit on the gruesome side and not many want to read things like that
(click to show/hide)
Oh god, I should've drunk more so I wouldn't remember that.

Neko_Ali

• Global Moderator
  • ASDFSFAALYG8A@*& ^$%O
« Reply #71 on: 03 Apr 2019, 07:10 »

AIs' minds work very much like those of humans. Whilst they can download data, they can only read it back as if it were an electronic book. They do not have the ability to automatically use that data in a practical way until they have applied it a few times in the actual real world. In essence, they can download the manuals but, because of the way they work, they're not really skills, just raw information that may not actually mean anything to them.

Here is the thing though... I can't remember ever seeing an AI at the school as a student. When you consider how much the town and the comic revolve around the school it is a bit odd that the only AI we have seen associated with it is Momo working in the library. On the other side though there are a lot of AI working in the city in other jobs.  Sure they could get work at the bot cafe or chassis sales store without any kind of official training. Some can come from on the job or picked up skills, like Roko's police officer career, or Bubble's mechanical skill. But there are those who need schooling and accreditation like Punchbot being a CPA.

So all things being the same, we should have seen at least the occasional AI student over the years. The fact that we haven't says that either it's been a mild oversight on Jeph's part, or AI do not actually learn like human, or at least don't have to. There might be shortened courses for AI that can just download all the materials needed and then if it requires do the lab work and test to prove their proficiency before hitting the work force.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #72 on: 03 Apr 2019, 08:05 »

So they can't even do what a simple human can do in Matrix? How disappointing...

OldGoat

« Reply #73 on: 03 Apr 2019, 13:18 »

That covers the feathers part.  ;)

OldGoat

« Reply #74 on: 03 Apr 2019, 13:25 »

Here is the thing though... I can't remember ever seeing an AI at the school as a student. When you consider how much the town and the comic revolve around the school it is a bit odd that the only AI we have seen associated with it is Momo working in the library. On the other side though there are a lot of AI working in the city in other jobs.  Sure they could get work at the bot cafe or chassis sales store without any kind of official training. Some can come from on the job or picked up skills, like Roko's police officer career, or Bubble's mechanical skill. But there are those who need schooling and accreditation like Punchbot being a CPA.

So all things being the same, we should have seen at least the occasional AI student over the years. The fact that we haven't says that either it's been a mild oversight on Jeph's part, or AI do not actually learn like human, or at least don't have to. There might be shortened courses for AI that can just download all the materials needed and then if it requires do the lab work and test to prove their proficiency before hitting the work force.
Perhaps some of those we've have gone directly into internship programs having completed their academic downloads.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #75 on: 03 Apr 2019, 13:28 »

Aside from the very abbreviate form of due process applied, I find it difficult to generate much sympathy for the recipients of the treatment in those few accounts I've read or heard stories of.

Disagree in the strongest possible terms, but then we're into the criminal justice/prison policies thread.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #76 on: 03 Apr 2019, 15:47 »

Here is the thing though... I can't remember ever seeing an AI at the school as a student. When you consider how much the town and the comic revolve around the school it is a bit odd that the only AI we have seen associated with it is Momo working in the library.

For a comic that supposedly revolves around a school, the cast is not exactly teeming with students, is it? I'd say it revolves around a school like it revolves around indie music.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #77 on: 03 Apr 2019, 15:47 »

Certainly I would take Claire's side if she were tarred and feathered over her performance on the examination.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Gyrre

« Reply #78 on: 03 Apr 2019, 17:34 »

That's the joke.
Just got in an argument with someone who somehow can't tell the difference between the Far Left and anarchism, so Icll take that as to the explanation of the joke.

No, I'm not going to get into that. This is the wrong thread.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Gyrre

« Reply #79 on: 03 Apr 2019, 17:43 »

*Snip*

Hmmm.....does one of these three look like a student?
Durian sort of has an oddball inventor vibe to her outfit.

EDIT: snip. Also, Lemon would need a Bachelors degree in psychology to be a counselor, wouldn't she?
« Last Edit: 03 Apr 2019, 17:56 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword

Scarlet Manuka

« Reply #80 on: 03 Apr 2019, 19:20 »

That was great. The glittery mouse trail, under construction, comic sans, the terrible tiled background image. The terrible welcome-to-our-website banner. Big changes for Y2K! Only thing missing was a "best viewed in IE" graphic.
ITYM "Best viewed in Netscape Navigator 4 or above", in that era.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #81 on: 03 Apr 2019, 20:06 »

New comic.

I thought blood & magic was usually considered BAD....

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #82 on: 03 Apr 2019, 20:11 »

Especially when one has been drinking rather heavily, and the blood doesn’t clot so well.

Mr Intrepid

« Reply #83 on: 03 Apr 2019, 20:14 »

Do it, Marten!     It won't hurt much, and it'll up your "He's so noble" quotient.

macloud

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #84 on: 03 Apr 2019, 20:29 »

New comic.

It is - the reason why athame [a ceremonial dagger] are blunted is that in traditional witchcraft blood is seen as unclean and the spillng of blood in a ritual will contaminate and ruin the ritual - worse even bringing evil spirits to subvert the object of the ritual.

Mordhaus

• Furry furrier
« Reply #85 on: 03 Apr 2019, 20:54 »

What if crushbot accidentally crushes claire and the spell puts her into a robot body?

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #86 on: 03 Apr 2019, 21:00 »

"Sorry, the only chassis we have on hand at the moment is this one that was crushed by a giant robot. I hear it has good sensitivity to bread."
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #87 on: 03 Apr 2019, 21:09 »

New comic.

I'm fuzzy on the whole good/bad thing. What do you mean, "bad?"

SomeCanadianWeirdo

• Beyond Thunderdome
« Reply #88 on: 03 Apr 2019, 21:13 »

I think Dora has been spending too much time around Emily.  The weirdness is starting to sink in.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #89 on: 03 Apr 2019, 22:40 »

We're building to an epic showdown of magic and science.
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #90 on: 03 Apr 2019, 23:13 »

Remember, Dora, magic always has its price! In this case, the price would be a trip to the ER for Marten and a serious clean-up bill for the counter area!

New comic.

I thought blood & magic was usually considered BAD...

Very, very evil and psychopathic non-human and immaterial intelligences whose idea of 'fun' is to either make a meat puppet of you and torment you on a psychic level until you go insane.
~~~~

OldGoat

« Reply #91 on: 03 Apr 2019, 23:25 »

Aside from the very abbreviate form of due process applied, I find it difficult to generate much sympathy for the recipients of the treatment in those few accounts I've read or heard stories of.

Disagree in the strongest possible terms, but then we're into the criminal justice/prison policies thread.
You disagree with my subjective response to a story?  Interesting.

Mordhaus

• Furry furrier
« Reply #92 on: 04 Apr 2019, 00:26 »

New comic.

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously, and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.

Milayna

« Reply #93 on: 04 Apr 2019, 00:37 »

Or that AI's role in the world has expanded in that time. I'm not sure if that's canon or not but I've always assumed it is. AI lifeforms have only arisen in the past few decades, after all. How old is Hanners' dad again? In the start of the comic their presence was nominal at best, existing as cute companions. Obviously there was more - such as Station and Bubbles - and the increasing AI presence in the comic (in number of appearances humanoid/varied forms, and economic roles) obviously reflects Jeph's decision to focus more on that story. But in-comic, I've been taking it as a given that AI presence in general has expanded within the past few canon-years.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #94 on: 04 Apr 2019, 01:09 »

New comic.

Try to imagine all life as you know it stopping instantaneously, and every molecule in your body exploding at the speed of light.

Right. That's bad. Okay. All right. Important safety tip.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

cybersmurf

« Reply #95 on: 04 Apr 2019, 01:10 »

Or that AI's role in the world has expanded in that time. I'm not sure if that's canon or not but I've always assumed it is. AI lifeforms have only arisen in the past few decades, after all. How old is Hanners' dad again? <snip>

Hanners, Marten and marigold went to the party held for his 56th birthday, and I believe there were at least two winters in between then and now. It's safe to say he's in his late 50s now.
« Last Edit: 04 Apr 2019, 06:05 by cybersmurf »

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #96 on: 04 Apr 2019, 01:25 »

I'm wondering if some AIs are seriously debating and meditating on how to prevent the inevitable breakdown of his body from losing them access to 'the Creator's wisdom'?
~~~~

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #97 on: 04 Apr 2019, 01:29 »

Dora looks scary...
« Last Edit: 04 Apr 2019, 02:14 by traroth »

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #98 on: 04 Apr 2019, 04:29 »

Kris Kristopherson? That pun is cutting edge. I am tantolised that I didn't think of it. Jeph should take a bowie.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

TheEvilDog

« Reply #99 on: 04 Apr 2019, 05:14 »

New comic.

Generally speaking you don't want to perform blood magic because its not something you want to do a whim. But because Wicca is a practice filled with symbolism, blood is sometimes avoided because of the darker symbolism; death, battle. Then again, blood can also symbolise life and can be used in certain rituals can provide power. If blood is used in any ritual, its usually extracted with a lancet, the kind used for blood sugar testing.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up