THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 04:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Apple Powerbooks  (Read 13303 times)

Jenno

• Furry furrier
Apple Powerbooks
« on: 16 Jan 2005, 04:23 »

This probably isn't the right place for this... but meh

Was anyone else annoyed that they didn't announce a new Powerbook at Macworld this year? I want a powerbook for uni so bad, but I don't wanna buy one then have them release the new powerbook straight after.

Le sigh ;)

ForteBass

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
Apple Powerbooks
« Reply #1 on: 16 Jan 2005, 05:35 »

Hey, even if they don't put out a new one they're all still more powerful than what I run now.  And the 15" G4 Powerbook Super Drive makes me all bubbly inside. I wants
Quote from: Eris
Man, Friday night and I'm drawing tacos to post on the internet. I need another drink.

est

• this is a test
  • Admin emeritus
  • Older than Moses
  • V O L L E Y B A L L
Apple Powerbooks
« Reply #2 on: 16 Jan 2005, 10:17 »

i am kinda annoyed, yeah.  i was planning on looking at them, if not for purchase, then for comparison against pc laptops.  i http://www.thinksecret.com/news/0501expo5.html">hear that they will only be bumping the CPU speed up a notch & adding a bigger HDD though.

although, there is http://www.macrumors.com/pages/2005/01/20050114041111.shtml">this story to chew on.

freestyle trombonist

Apple Powerbooks
« Reply #3 on: 18 Jan 2005, 20:06 »

NICE, man!!  ohhh dude, a g5 powerbook would make me soo so happy... seriously.  seriously.

c1utch

Apple Powerbooks
« Reply #4 on: 18 Jan 2005, 20:57 »

yea at this point, its better to buy an ibook, you get pretty much the same specs for less.

a 12in powebook for college is somthing I could get used to.  that is, if its a G5 and 64bit  photoshop is out at that point.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
Apple Powerbooks
« Reply #5 on: 18 Jan 2005, 21:29 »

There's already a version of PS optimized for 64bit computing. I use it on my G5, it's fun.
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

c1utch

Apple Powerbooks
« Reply #6 on: 18 Jan 2005, 21:51 »

I was not aware of that.  I had thought that even CS did not utilize 64bit, and that the next version, CS 2.0, was not thought to support it either

MacRumors article from the 3rd:

Think Secret reports that Adobe may announce Creative Suite 2.0, with Photoshop CS 2.0 (Photoshop 9) and Illustrator CS 2.0 (Illustrator 12), as soon as next week. It is expected to use Bridge, a cross-suite file browser, is not expected to include 64-bit Photoshop support, and may have "stricter product activation".

Hmm, well anyway, if there is indeed a 64bit version, I will definately check it out. (For windows at this point though)[/code]

Jenno

• Furry furrier
Apple Powerbooks
« Reply #7 on: 20 Jan 2005, 03:10 »

Yeah, I believe there is a 64 bit version. I think someone has it at work :)

kidtsunami

Apple Powerbooks
« Reply #8 on: 20 Jan 2005, 13:40 »

yea at this point, its better to buy an ibook, you get pretty much the same specs for less.

my PB 1.5ghz is much faster than the 1.3ghz ibook, mainly because the RAM and HD are much faster. I also was able to max out the RAM and HD pretty easily, I'm running off of 1.5 gigs of ram which is more than the ibook can possibly hold

I wouldn't buy my laptop right now though, because an upgrade is so imminent

Deformagraphy

Apple Powerbooks
« Reply #9 on: 20 Jan 2005, 13:57 »

Also, if you're going to buy a Mac, wait for them to upgrade OS X before you buy.  So, y'know, you don't pay up the ass for another version.

lazarus18

Apple Powerbooks
« Reply #10 on: 24 Jan 2005, 21:50 »

I don't know if I'd describe the $130 ($80 if you're a student) of upgrading the OS in such negatively graphic terms, but hey, whatever.

Right now I would have to agree that the iBook is just an amazing value when compared to a PB. True you can't max out the RAM as highly, and there are some other differences in the cache and whatnot, but I couldn't justify the price difference. I love my iBook, and until a G5 PB comes out I see precious little reason to buy one.

If I needed a new laptop for school I'd get an iBook now, and if a G5 PB does indeed come out soon you'd be in pretty good shape for selling your iBook since it's not in the same category as the PB and isn't therefore instantly obsolete. I got nearly $500 for my Pismo PB on eBay, which is about 1/3 of what I paid for it what, 5, 6 years ago? As far as computers go that's pretty darn good.

-Rob

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
Apple Powerbooks
« Reply #11 on: 24 Jan 2005, 22:07 »

The G5 powerbook will also function as a hot-plate, doubling its usefulness for starving college students.

(my G4 PB gets warm like a KILN if I do anything graphics intensive.)
Deathmole Jacques' head takes up the bottom half of the panel, with his words taking up the top half. He is not concerned about the life of his friend.

RandyWang

Apple Powerbooks
« Reply #12 on: 25 Jan 2005, 03:43 »

Quote from: jeph
The G5 powerbook will also function as a hot-plate, doubling its usefulness for starving college students.

(my G4 PB gets warm like a KILN if I do anything graphics intensive.)

Unfortunately, it wouldn't work as a portable hotplate, what with that 20minute battery life...

Also, if you're going to buy a Mac, wait for them to upgrade OS X before you buy. So, y'know, you don't pay up the ass for another version.

1) Some people like that kind of thing ;-)
2) It's more than worth it
3) ...um, despite that, you have a point. Unless you're desperate for your hit.

my PB 1.5ghz is much faster than the 1.3ghz ibook, mainly because the RAM and HD are much faster

You should probably take into account the fact that the 1.5Ghz PBook comes with an ATI Radeon 9700 Mobility, whereas the iBook only has a 9200 Mobility, with have the video memory and considerably less "oomph".

I had thought that even CS did not utilize 64bit

CS doesn't take advantage of the 64-bit G5 - it can only edit files of up to 2Gb in size, which is a little silly. I'm not sure if that means the most RAM it will ever allocate itself is 2Gb, although it certainly seems so.

Deacon

• Not quite a lurker
    • http://www.firekite.com
Apple Powerbooks
« Reply #13 on: 25 Jan 2005, 13:18 »

Nobody listen to Randy.  He is, as they say in Europe, crazy.
Eric (the Deacon remix)

Code: [Select]
do() || do_not(); // try();

RandyWang

Apple Powerbooks
« Reply #14 on: 25 Jan 2005, 16:20 »

Quote from: Deacon
Nobody listen to Randy.  He is, as they say in Europe, crazy.

Deacon! How did you find me here?!

...oh, wait, I found you. Right. My bad. Erm... carry on.

*twitch*

nihilist

Apple Powerbooks
« Reply #15 on: 27 Jan 2005, 11:29 »

Tsk, tsk, 64-bit computing.  Tsk tsk.

G5-based notebooks should be out this year, once they fix the heat issues.  Or so say a few websites.

But still, it's an Apple, so I'd probably just pee on it.

Hoborg

Apple Powerbooks
« Reply #16 on: 27 Jan 2005, 17:58 »

Yeah rumors say theyre trying to use liquid cooling in the G5 powerbooks, but the problem is it breaks if they are dropped more than a foot.

Hoborg

Apple Powerbooks
« Reply #17 on: 01 Feb 2005, 06:56 »

New powerbooks are out, check the apple site.

Not a big jump in improvement. A little faster and a little less expensive. The two-finger scrolling is kind of cool, but I'll just use sidetrack.

nihilist

Apple Powerbooks
« Reply #18 on: 01 Feb 2005, 07:01 »

I dunno what I'd get next.  Mebbe an IBM, or mebbe another Dell.  But not Apple.  Doesn't run the apps I run, so away it goes.  Aside from that, thin and light and fast...  That's all that matters.  I'd like a Panasonic Toughbook, but they're really expensive, and have shite components.  Boo.

torg

Apple Powerbooks
« Reply #19 on: 01 Feb 2005, 07:23 »

hmm looking at your post count i think you should know, that pics in signatures are a no-no....

i dont need a notebook at all... *gasp*

nihilist

Apple Powerbooks
« Reply #20 on: 01 Feb 2005, 07:28 »

See, but I'm special, so I can have pics in my sig.

jeph

• Administrator
  • Duck attack survivor
  • MON DIEU!
    • Questionable Content
Apple Powerbooks
« Reply #21 on: 01 Feb 2005, 10:12 »

Nihilist is the only person (other than me, I guess) allowed to have a sig image.

nihilist

Apple Powerbooks
« Reply #22 on: 01 Feb 2005, 10:15 »

I need to have a big sign pasted all over things that says "Nihilist is your God.  Bow down before him."  Mebbe then people wouldn't try to point out my shortcomings.

needs_help

I was very confused
« Reply #23 on: 06 Feb 2005, 09:25 »

Yeah! It didn't make much sense 'cause I had heard rumors of the new g5 power book. I edit a lot of video, so the idea of an even faster new laptop was very exciting. Still, I'm not gonna insult steve jobs, he focused on the ipod and he tends to know what is gonna work for him.
Pages: [1]   Go Up