jazz
bossa nova
electro-swing
music box
orchestration
for work, study, relaxation
purple monkey dishwasher

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3976-3980 (April 8th-12th, 2019)  (Read 37718 times)

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
Re: WCDT Strips 3976-3980 (April 8th-12th, 2019)
« Reply #100 on: 10 Apr 2019, 09:20 »

Marten has a job he likes, a girlfriend and lots of friends. Things seem to be good, to the point JJ doesn't talk about him very much anymore, because all that happiness would be boring!
I fear that after Claire graduates and starts to look for employment, she will not find a librarian position in Northampton, but will be offered one somewhere else, and will have to choose between her career and Marten. Cue enough unhappiness to satisfy anyone.

called it . .

Not yet, you didn't. And to be honest, that kinda was always a likely possibility.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

SpanielBear

• The German Chancellory building
« Reply #101 on: 10 Apr 2019, 09:24 »

I swear I'm missing something here in the forum responses.

Why does Marten, who is happy, HAVE to change? I understand if it is a case of needing to support Claire, or if he is miserable, but as things stand he gives every impression of being content, and the times he has failed to support Claire have involved failures in communication, which I don't see "getting out of your rut" as magically resolving.

What is the perceived inevitable doom that everyone is predicting?

And why on earth does he need to give up a job he's good at to enable Claire to achieve her goals? That seems really shitty! Claire is clever, well organised, responsible and competent in her own right, she doesn't need to be thrown Martin's job as a gift out of pity. If she has to move, sure there is a decision needed. But that isn't how the situation is at this point.

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #102 on: 10 Apr 2019, 09:30 »

...or maybe Claire finds a really excellent job nearby, they move into a comfy flat not far from their friends, and happiness ensues.

Couldn't things just go that way, only for once?
That happens so rarely in real life, I don't think readers will be able to suspend their disbelief.

Space stations, sentient androids, demi-god AIs we can handle, but Happily Ever After is just too unrealistic. 

cybersmurf

« Reply #103 on: 10 Apr 2019, 09:50 »

Why does Marten, who is happy, HAVE to change? I understand if it is a case of needing to support Claire, or if he is miserable, but as things stand he gives every impression of being content, and the times he has failed to support Claire have involved failures in communication, which I don't see "getting out of your rut" as magically resolving.

And why on earth does he need to give up a job he's good at to enable Claire to achieve her goals? That seems really shitty! Claire is clever, well organised, responsible and competent in her own right, she doesn't need to be thrown Martin's job as a gift out of pity. If she has to move, sure there is a decision needed. But that isn't how the situation is at this point.

It's not that bad, it's just Marten ... has a record. It's a distinct possibility.

Claire may be organised, responsible and competent, but yet she's naive and (to me) overoptimistic.

The question is whether Claire isn't completely overqualified for Marten's job, who got that job basically by showing up and not being a student.

Maybe she can replace Tai, or what probably would be even funnier, Claire might become one of Tai's bosses.

There's probably no reason for Marten to quit his job unless he's either got something significant better, or because he moves with Claire.

With Faye slowly getting her shop off the ground, I doubt Marten is going to move away easily. They ARE very close after all. He'll definetly try to do the long term thing at first, if it actually comes down to that, at least that is my guess.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #104 on: 10 Apr 2019, 10:22 »

The'inevitable doom' is the possibility that Claire may get a job far from Northampton. Marten will then have to choose between the current status quo (and a consequential long-distance relationship) or leaving Northampton with her.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Elder Sign

• Balloon animal serial killer
  • Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #105 on: 10 Apr 2019, 10:58 »

The'inevitable doom' is the possibility that Claire may get a job far from Northampton. Marten will then have to choose between the current status quo (and a consequential long-distance relationship) or leaving Northampton with her.

And yet there's every possibility that Smif(?) is not the only library in Northampton, or something might change in Tai and Marten's work situation that opens up a spot for Claire to possibly find a job, or she might end up somewhere semi-close in New England (e.g. Boston) whereby long-distance could very well be tenable for a while until they can both find reasonably stable jobs in the same area.

It's not like cross-country (or bust) is the only option here.  And the exam currently in progress could go horribly awry too and mess up carefully laid career plans.

I subscribe to Jeph's Patreon. I'm looking forward to this forum's reaction to what happens in tomorrow's public post. I am going to literally have to physically restrain myself from discussing it before then.

I can't help but think of:
Quote from: Advisor
Nuclear launch detected.
I prepared Explosive Runes before writing this signature.

cybersmurf

« Reply #106 on: 10 Apr 2019, 14:23 »

It's not like cross-country (or bust) is the only option here.  And the exam currently in progress could go horribly awry too and mess up carefully laid career plans.

Or a change of careers. Even, or especially if she succeeded. with flying colors.

I subscribe to Jeph's Patreon. I'm looking forward to this forum's reaction to what happens in tomorrow's public post. I am going to literally have to physically restrain myself from discussing it before then.

I can't help but think of:
Quote from: Advisor
Nuclear launch detected.

In the rear, with the gear!

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #107 on: 10 Apr 2019, 15:26 »

I am really looking forward to being able to discuss the upcoming one.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #108 on: 10 Apr 2019, 15:32 »

I doubt Marten is going to move away easily.

If that becomes an issue, no decision is likely to be easy; but Marten has already once upped sticks and crossed the continent for a girl.  OK, that time it didn't work out, but that's no indication of the future.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

Oenone

• FIGHT YOU
« Reply #109 on: 10 Apr 2019, 15:36 »

There is actually a really beautiful public library right off campus, as well as other subject area specific libraries on campus. Smif is also within commuting distance of like 12 other colleges in the Five College and Pioneer Valley area.

cybersmurf

« Reply #110 on: 10 Apr 2019, 15:41 »

I doubt Marten is going to move away easily.

If that becomes an issue, no decision is likely to be easy; but Marten has already once upped sticks and crossed the continent for a girl.  OK, that time it didn't work out, but that's no indication of the future.

Well, he didn't have much to lose back then. What he has to lose now is a roomie and close friend he deeply cares about, plus a weird social circle that's not that easy to replace.
Yes, he could lose the girlfriend he knows he is in a healthy relationship with, but Claire's transition into "real adulthood" is going to take its toll on everyone. it might be the better choice for Marten to stay behind for a while.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #111 on: 10 Apr 2019, 19:07 »

>that time it didn't work out

Not directly, but it put him on the path to a decent life, if one that wastes his talents and energy.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #112 on: 10 Apr 2019, 19:07 »

He has a degree - it's in Music History and Critical Theory.

And what kind of job can you get with that?  Teach music?  He’d need an education degree unless he worked at a private school.  There’s no point in aspiring to to career options that don’t exist.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #113 on: 10 Apr 2019, 19:20 »

Just because you personally cannot think of jobs that could stem from that qualification, doesn't mean they don't exist.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/personal-incredulity
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Elder Sign

• Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #114 on: 10 Apr 2019, 19:20 »

And what kind of job can you get with that?  Teach music?  He’d need an education degree unless he worked at a private school.  There’s no point in aspiring to to career options that don’t exist.

Academia, if he went on and did a masters and PhD.  Professional music critic and writer maybe?  And that's just off the top of my head.

EDIT: And can all the people wildly vagueposting about tonight's comic kindly put a sock in it?  Because we're all waiting on it, Patreon or no, and it is contributing nothing to the discussion.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #115 on: 10 Apr 2019, 19:28 »

Yes please. I recall once making the mistake of vagueposting about a future comic and being informed (quite correctly) that it was a bit rude by at least one of the people currently indulging in the practice.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #116 on: 10 Apr 2019, 19:38 »

Tonight's comic is up now.

(click to show/hide)
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

tomveil

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #117 on: 10 Apr 2019, 19:40 »

it is now safe to post about QC 3979

Mr Intrepid

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #118 on: 10 Apr 2019, 19:40 »

Awwwwww....

Is it my imagination or is Marten freaked out about the conversation?

Who does he talk to?  Veronica?  Faye?

pendrake

• Curry sauce
« Reply #119 on: 10 Apr 2019, 19:51 »

For comic #3979...

1. Wow, I did not see that (marriage proposal) coming. :-o

2. On the other hand, Tai definitely did right, in seizing the moment.  When you have a girl (or boy) who is willing to pull up deep stakes/roots like that, FOR YOU, that is someone worth keeping.

3. Also, given what we have seen of Dora's sharp business skills, I have little doubt that Dora would be able to successfully rebuild her business if she did pull up stakes and move with Tai.
« Last Edit: 27 Jun 2021, 19:49 by pendrake »

Elder Sign

• Sanity is overrated.
« Reply #120 on: 10 Apr 2019, 19:52 »

Pardon me for not waiting twenty minutes for the comic to drop before snarking at people for vagueposting.

That is an impressive left-hand turn.  I have sudden vision of that meme format with the freeway pointing to "Claire exam and career anxiety" and the car burning its tires up the off-ramp to "Tai/Dora getting married".

And meanwhile, Marten is busy casting Expeditious Retreat.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #121 on: 10 Apr 2019, 19:59 »

Warning.
 Black Alert.
Prepare for Engagement Drive Operations.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #122 on: 10 Apr 2019, 20:02 »

But... but...

Dora STILL can't be the flower girl!!!

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
« Reply #123 on: 10 Apr 2019, 20:21 »

Just having a degree at all opens up a lot more employment opportunities, even if it isn't even in the field the job is for.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #124 on: 10 Apr 2019, 20:23 »

Dora hasn't said yes yet and seems to be having trouble processing the question.

I wonder if this will kick off any lines of thought in Bubbles's mind. Or Marten's.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Mr Intrepid

« Reply #125 on: 10 Apr 2019, 20:31 »

But... but...

Dora STILL can't be the flower girl!!!
Claire could!  Judging by her dresses she tried on for the wedding, she might be into that.  And she could catch the bouquet!

Dandi Andi

• FIGHT YOU
  • They/them she/her. Formerly Pecoros7. Still tired.
« Reply #126 on: 10 Apr 2019, 20:36 »

If I'm reading the subtext correctly, this strip went something like this;

Tai: "Catastrophizing about problems that don't exist is toxic. It stops you enjoying what you already have."

Dora: "Yeah, but this is a very realistic possibility and it's a complicated one. This relationship is deeply important to Marten and one job offer could cause it to self destruct in a devastating way. They both need to know where the other stands."

Tai: "It is important, so why haven't we talked about it?"

Dora: "Actually, I've thought a lot about it. There isn't anything in my life that I can't rebuild and no relationships that I can't maintain long distance. But you're irreplaceable to me. There aren't any problems I'm not willing to deal with as long as we're together."

Tai: "... Holy shit! You're really 100% committed to this! You've poured so much of your life into this coffee shop. And you're willing to abandon it for me. I mean more to you than Coffee of Doom!? I don't really know how to parse that, but I know that I don't ever want to lose you. I want to show that same level of commitment to you."

Marten: "FUUUUUUCK!

----------
Edited to avoid a double post

Just having a degree at all opens up a lot more employment opportunities, even if it isn't even in the field the job is for.

And some jobs are much more concerned about what skills you have than what credentials. I seem to recall him having a music blog. He could revive that and eventually write about music professionally. A few media critics have even made successful careers out of making video essays on YouTube. He has options.
« Last Edit: 10 Apr 2019, 20:42 by pecoros7 »

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #127 on: 10 Apr 2019, 20:57 »

Boeing hired a metric shitload of people with music degrees as computer programmers back in the '90s.  After several rounds of various layoffs, many of them are still there.  Music skills carry over into programming.  After all, what is dal segno al fini but a go-to instruction?

Props Jeph, I didn't see that coming.

badbum61

• I'm going to eight, baby!
« Reply #128 on: 10 Apr 2019, 21:29 »

welp, that just happened.

500 posts by breakfast?
What the hell are YOU staring at?

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #129 on: 10 Apr 2019, 21:44 »

Penelope has one and she works at Coffee of Doom because it’s not just finding a job, but enduring a potentially dead end job for years in the hope it will pay off.

Anyway this argument is about to be drowned out by high pitched squeeing.

MrNumbers

• Cthulhu f'tagn
  • A hoot
« Reply #130 on: 10 Apr 2019, 21:57 »

I haven't posted here in months but I came by just to "what the fuck" with you all.

You know, with a smile and a laugh.
oh god

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #131 on: 10 Apr 2019, 21:59 »

A friend of mine was at a university and got access to exam assignments from a computer programming class. As an experiment, he ranked them by quality, and then and only then looked up the majors of the students who wrote them.

The math majors did very well but were on average outranked by the best group, which was the music majors.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

cybersmurf

« Reply #132 on: 10 Apr 2019, 22:16 »

A friend of mine was at a university and got access to exam assignments from a computer programming class. As an experiment, he ranked them by quality, and then and only then looked up the majors of the students who wrote them.

The math majors did very well but were on average outranked by the best group, which was the music majors.

Music is just another language, in a way. With algorithms of its own, and by concatenating the same things in different ways resulting in new things doing what they want.

Also, I didn't see that one coming. But it might actually work out for them two. Tai ia the relaxed one, which is what Dora needs, and Dora is the organized one, which is something Tai (kind of) needs.

Also: Marten, you idiot, get back in there and be happy for your friends. There's a chance you're gonna be best man.
I know you're freaked out by whole planning ahead thing, but I'm with Tai for this one. it's not too late to talk about Claire's plans. She might not have thought about it herself (for various reasons).

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #133 on: 10 Apr 2019, 23:04 »

Personally, I'd hold off on that conversation until she has her results back. Claire might not be able to think of the future in positive terms until then.

Before we ring the wedding bells, let's see what Dora's answer is first.
« Last Edit: 10 Apr 2019, 23:15 by Cornelius »
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #134 on: 10 Apr 2019, 23:20 »

Music museums exist. For example, the American Jazz Museum is in Kansas City.

Perhaps there's one in North Hampton.
If not, perhaps Marten (if properly motivated) could organize for the creation and funding of one. He's got connections.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #135 on: 10 Apr 2019, 23:26 »

That last panel is sweet! I do think that Marten should stand his ground. I mean, for goodness sake, I suspect that he's going to have a big enough role in what's coming up so that he should be in on the planning from the start!

In some ways, I think it had to be that way. Dora probably still feels insecure enough that she'd worry about Tai saying 'no' because she's waiting for a 'better offer'. So it had to be Tai and it had to be spontaneous because that's Tai.

However, this does feed into the post I made yesterday that Jeph is wrapping up the storylines of his original main characters, so I'm not expecting there to be many loose ends left untied for Faye, Marten and Dora by the time we reach Strip 4500. Speaking of which, I wonder how long the wedding arc will last?

Before we ring the wedding bells, let's see what Dora's answer is first.

Any storyline where Dora says 'no' would have to have a very, very good reason not to be contrived and OOC. Dora has already said that Tai is the most important thing in her life and she'd do anything for her so, really, what is holding her back except her lack of self-esteem (most of which seem to be resolved now)?
~~~~

Jedit

« Reply #136 on: 11 Apr 2019, 00:39 »

I hate to be pedantic (Internet Forums Lie #1), but if I remember my layout correctly, isn't that where the door to the stockroom is?
Warning - while you were typing 14 new replies have been posted. Empires have risen and fallen. New species have evolved, and they too have invented webcomics. You may wish to review your post.

cybersmurf

« Reply #137 on: 11 Apr 2019, 00:46 »

I hate to be pedantic (Internet Forums Lie #1), but if I remember my layout correctly, isn't that where the door to the stockroom is?

Shouldn't the toilet(s) be back there, too?

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #138 on: 11 Apr 2019, 00:55 »

Psssst there is some text under the bottom right corner of the comic.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #139 on: 11 Apr 2019, 01:02 »

I think that's rather the point.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #140 on: 11 Apr 2019, 01:13 »

Music museums exist. For example, the American Jazz Museum is in Kansas City.

Perhaps there's one in North Hampton.
If not, perhaps Marten (if properly motivated) could organize for the creation and funding of one. He's got connections.

La Cité de la Musique, here in Paris. I love this place!

https://philharmoniedeparis.fr/en/musee-de-la-musique

https://artsandculture.google.com/exhibit/TAKiqDIFw98kJg?hl=en
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #141 on: 11 Apr 2019, 01:27 »

That escalated quickly...

I love Marten's face in the last panel. He looks like someone convinced he will wake up any second, now.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #142 on: 11 Apr 2019, 02:09 »

I do think that Marten should stand his ground.

Stand his ground?  He is doing exactly the right thing - withdrawing as his friends have a very special moment together.  He'll know the outcome soon enough!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #143 on: 11 Apr 2019, 02:27 »

You know, there is a scenario - plausible although not highly probable - where this could turn into a triple wedding (Dora & Tai; Marten & Claire; Faye & Bubbles) with a big splash single panel of the three happy couples being told 'I now declare you spouses!' by the judge circa Strip 4500 as a 'hand-off' from the old main cast, precisely three times the distance from the beginning as the Dorapocalypse and nine times The Talk.

Stand his ground?  He is doing exactly the right thing - withdrawing as his friends have a very special moment together.  He'll know the outcome soon enough!

Yes, but he's not withdrawing to give them privacy, he's running away from a sudden onrushing avalanche of 'tomorrow has finally come' and that's less praiseworthy.
~~~~

Shjade

• FIGHT YOU
  • What.
« Reply #144 on: 11 Apr 2019, 02:31 »

Holy shit, Tai. That was damn fine as reactions go.
"People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway."

jesslc

• Furry furrier
« Reply #145 on: 11 Apr 2019, 02:37 »

Awww... That was just what I needed to cheer me up today!  :-D  :-D  :-D

I think Dora will say yes. She did just say she'd be willing to uproot her whole life for Tai after all.

I remember a fair bit of speculating here in the past year or so about Marten & Claire or Faye & Bubbles getting married. I wonder if Jeph noticed and deliberately decided to have Tai and Dora be the ones to take this step instead.

Edited to add:

Yeah I don't get it either. Marten has a life he's happy with, he's not in debt or anything. I don't see the issue. Is it an American thing to be bothered by "unambitious character is not motivated to improve his prettty-damn-okay life", maybe? I have no idea.  :?

I'm not particularly ambitious, if I had the things Marten has - a job that he likes, a partner he loves, good friends, decent living situation, decent health, enough money for basic needs and a bit spare for his wants - I'd be very content with that. Setting aside some savings in case of an emergency in the future is definitely a good idea - but that's done now thanks to Claire's help so I'm at a loss to see anything he needs to change.

Perhaps it's just that being satisfied with an unremarkable but happy life is not particularly exciting to read about...   
« Last Edit: 11 Apr 2019, 03:28 by jesslc »

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #146 on: 11 Apr 2019, 05:11 »

Holy shit, I'm thankful this isn't a Friday strip.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #147 on: 11 Apr 2019, 06:08 »

I feel for Marten. Witnessing his boss proposing his ex, while facing the whole new realization how his own life could go south in a blink, must be kind of disturbing...

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #148 on: 11 Apr 2019, 06:26 »

Holy shit, I'm thankful this isn't a Friday strip.
Cue tomorrow's strip featuring a new Melon emergency. :roll:

cybersmurf

« Reply #149 on: 11 Apr 2019, 06:33 »

I don't think Marten and Claire will marry in the foreseeable future, much less Faye and Bubbles (those two for more than one reason). The only other possible wedding I currently see is Veronica & Jim.

As far as change and Marten are concerned - it's just something he doesn't think about unless absolutely necessary. In this case it's not necessarily being passive than maybe more being content, not needing to worry about the future. Moving across a whole continent is more of a US thing I think, so moving that far away is not something that comes to my mind (as an inhabitant of a rather small European country I'd have to move to a completely different country, while in the US you might not even have left the state in the US, distance wise).
There's just a lot of possible friction for Marten, and everyone expects him to get at least one full broadside of that.

As far as Tai and Dira are concerned: I think their characters are offsetting each other in a way you could say 'opposites attract', and they're balancing each other. I'm happy for them (as far as you can be, concerning fictional characters), and it might actually work out in the long run, but it's gonna be a piece of work sometimes.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up