THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 29 Mar 2024, 08:46
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which obscene sounding town/city do you think Pintsize would want to visit the most?

Fucksburg
Pleasure Point
Fucking
Climax
Humptulips
Dicksboro
Hackballs Cross
Fartrim
Cum
Spunkane
Slutsend
Bastardstown
Muff
Intercourse
Blue Ball
Bird-in-Hand
(I've got a better one)
(pass)

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3986-3990 (22nd - 26th April, 2019)  (Read 31652 times)

SeaWoodStage

• Emoticontraindication
  • I make a lovely cuppa.
Re: WCDT Strips 3986-3990 (22nd - 26th April, 2019)
« Reply #50 on: 23 Apr 2019, 09:04 »

(snip first paragraph)...Now, I do believe that this is the first time Claire has successfully intimidated Faye and it tells us what she really takes seriously to the point where she'll accept no back talk: Her shipping! :laugh: Marten is, of course, being the good boyfriend by trying to prevent an explosion!

While I do enjoy Claire standing up to Faye in conversation, what I really like about this is Faye backing down so fast. Faye is one of my favourite characters, but she does have a tendency to react with aggressive and/or tone-deaf teasing, snark, or sometimes even bullying. I see she's learning, and that makes me really happy.

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #51 on: 23 Apr 2019, 09:40 »

Faye is "softening". Bubbles has been good influence, she knows Marty and Bubs have her back, no matter what, so she's loosening her emotional barriers, and with them her punchiness. The possibility of Marten actually leaving is stressing her out, and that's why she's going to Bubbles for support. LIterally the other person she knows for sure she can trust.

I do believe she can actually handle being in a bar, and not drinking. Being able to handle everyone else being drunk might be a wholly different thing, having a sober buddy might be a good choice here.

Whatever happens, we'll see the results within the next two weeks.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #52 on: 23 Apr 2019, 09:55 »

After having spent some months teetotal, and now being largely abstinent or moderate, I have really noticed that I have lost whatever tolerance for drunks I possessed.  It doesn't matter whether they're angry, happy, or affectionate drunks, now they're all just really fucking annoying.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

SeaWoodStage

• Emoticontraindication
  • I make a lovely cuppa.
« Reply #53 on: 23 Apr 2019, 10:06 »

I am really nervous for Faye. She's done amazingly well so far, even going so far as pouring a bottle away at some point, IIRC? And I could be completely imagining this, but didn't she actually drink at some point in her recovery? I think Marten came home and they had a discussion about relapsing?

Anyway, what strikes me about this strip is that Faye is a) not being completely honest with her friends, and b) going to her romantic partner for help. I think that's pretty healthy, for Faye. I think the conversation might've gone a bit differently if Claire hadn't been there, and I think it's a very good thing that Claire was there. Bubbles can probably provide more useful support (emotional and practical) for Faye at this point than anyone else could, and it looks like Faye is learning to trust her romantic partner, in a fuller sense than she ever did before.

dhsquared

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #54 on: 23 Apr 2019, 10:06 »

Is there a better place to post spelling corrections needed?

Panel 2 of https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3986

Faye: apocalpytic => apocalyptic

Cheers!

Mr Intrepid

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #55 on: 23 Apr 2019, 10:59 »

Ick!

The part about keep track of exits is something everyone should do, though. Fires happen.
Just ask Brun and Clinton.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #56 on: 23 Apr 2019, 11:33 »

Is there a better place to post spelling corrections needed?

Panel 2 of https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=3986

Faye: apocalpytic => apocalyptic

Cheers!

IIRC, emailing Jeph directly works, since he actually reads those.  I'm surprised that I didn't notice it, and I don't recall seeing anything on Patreon about it.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

SeaWoodStage

• Emoticontraindication
  • I make a lovely cuppa.
« Reply #57 on: 23 Apr 2019, 11:45 »

Makes sense. I could write and draw a comic like I could grow a tree that fruited rainbow bubbles everyday. But if I did have the skills and talent to create such a comic, I'd rather receive corrections via direct email. At least that way, you can fix it fast.

Oh, and I voted for Slutsend, just because it sounds rather cosy and friendly. One can imagine lanterns in the trees in a place like Slutsend. People would come and giggle, but they would be swiftly overwhelmed by friendly townsfolk, offering bed & breakfast recommendations and slices of innocent pie.

ETA: I didn't vote for Hackballs Cross, because that sounds like a small town in the middle of nowhere with a resident serial killer.
« Last Edit: 23 Apr 2019, 11:53 by SeaWoodStage »

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #58 on: 23 Apr 2019, 12:39 »

Welcome, new person with a keen eye!
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #59 on: 23 Apr 2019, 20:31 »

COMIC

That seems far more likely than the idea that Faye would be uncomfortable about going to the bar but is being dishonest with Marten about it.

Okay, guess not.

WTF seriously
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #60 on: 23 Apr 2019, 20:32 »

New comic!

So it WAS Faye being worried about the drinking thing. Love Bubbles being supportive.

Signal flare thing, explained!

TheEvilDog

« Reply #61 on: 23 Apr 2019, 20:37 »

For an alcoholic, its never "Oh, there's a drink. But I stopped myself the last time, so I'm going to be okay from now on."

Its that constant "Its a drink. I would love a drink. I want nothing more than to down that and move onto the next drink." Because it never ends. That temptation is always there, lingering just behind you, trying to get you to have a drink.

celticgeek

• GET ON THE NIGHT TRAIN
  • Linux Geek
    • The Celtic Geek
« Reply #62 on: 23 Apr 2019, 20:40 »

So who else in the cast is going to need a signal flare?
a 'dèanamh nan saighdean airson cinneadh MacLeòid
We Wear Woad When We Write Code
Ní féidir liom labhairt na Gaeilge.
Seachd reultan, agus seachd clachan, agus aon chraobh geal.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #63 on: 23 Apr 2019, 20:52 »

Who doesn’t?
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Mr Intrepid

« Reply #64 on: 23 Apr 2019, 21:17 »

I don't think it's an issue of Faye being dishonest.  Dora is one of her oldest friends, even predating Marten, and she really wants to celebrate the event.  She is nervous about this, but between Bubbles and Claire/Marten as sober buddies, she should be okay.
Unless she slips, says stuff, and then all bets are off.  That is the QC way, no?

cybersmurf

« Reply #65 on: 23 Apr 2019, 21:59 »

I stand corrected. It is about being at a bar. Admittedly, it would be easier if it were "casual" drinking where only a few drinks are involved, especially if everyone has to go to work the next day, but this is a celebration. Or worse. But as Station once stated, the effect is basically the same.

Since both Tai and Dora were unavailable, chances are good dora said yes and they celebrated by banging. Or got married already. If she hadn't, at least one of them would have talked to Marten, I believe.

And I swear to God, I still expect a Steve eats cereal filler just to troll people and drag the resolution out a bit.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #66 on: 23 Apr 2019, 22:07 »

I just hope Steve doesn't get McLeaned.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #67 on: 23 Apr 2019, 22:27 »

I don't think it's an issue of Faye being dishonest.

You really think so?

Marten: She wants us all to come out for drinks tonight. How about I offer our place instead?

Dishonest answer:

Faye: No, no, it's fine. I can handle bein' in a bar.

Honest answer:

Faye: No, no, it's fine, but I may need some help with this.

It seems so out of character for her to decide to hide this from Marten, of all people.

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #68 on: 23 Apr 2019, 22:45 »

It's not hypocrisy for Faye to tell Marten that he can follow Claire when she didn't follow Angus.  She didn't tell him he had to, or that he was a bad person if he decided not to.  She said he could, and he should at least seriously consider it.  Irony, maybe, but not hypocrisy.

Incidentally I came up with the correct response to Claire's fangirling: "Nah, they're not looking at wedding outfits, they're fixing the problem with the proposal and looking at rings.  First things first, y'know?"

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #69 on: 23 Apr 2019, 23:13 »

I agree with Mr Intrepid. This is about Faye's condition colliding head-on with her desire to be there for Dora and her disinclination to make this about her (at least in her own mind). She doesn't want to spoil Dora's big day because of her 'weakness' and she doesn't want to distract Marten by giving him reason to worry about her. It's silly but I do think it's in character for Faye to want to avoid in any way drawing attention to her own needs in a situation like this.

What I think is good is that Faye is not walking into this situation all full of breezy self-confidence. So long as she is aware of her own difficulties, it will be less easy for her to be caught out by it. Additionally, Bubbles at least is likely to be able to keep watch on Faye without becoming distracted!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #70 on: 23 Apr 2019, 23:47 »

This is about Faye's condition colliding head-on with her desire to be there for Dora and her disinclination to make this about her (at least in her own mind). She doesn't want to spoil Dora's big day because of her 'weakness' and she doesn't want to distract Marten by giving him reason to worry about her. It's silly but I do think it's in character for Faye to want to avoid in any way drawing attention to her own needs in a situation like this.

Everything you say is absolutely true, and yet not one of those things makes what Faye said to Marten honest.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #71 on: 23 Apr 2019, 23:59 »

Everything you say is absolutely true, and yet not one of those things makes what Faye said to Marten honest.

At what point was it supposed to be 'honest'? However it is also not a malicious act on Faye's part. So, really, there is nothing to debate because whether or not she is being honest isn't the issue here. The issue is her very real fear and confronting this challenge.
~~~~

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #72 on: 24 Apr 2019, 00:06 »

I never said it was malicious, just that she was dishonest to Marten.

I'm getting a lot of disagreement on that point from people who apparently think there is nothing to debate.  :psyduck:

cybersmurf

« Reply #73 on: 24 Apr 2019, 00:13 »

twisting the truth to keep the moment of surprise is dishonest, too. Maybe Faye saw Marten was freaked out by the rest of the stuff already, and she didn't want to throw that on him, too, especially when she has someone else to go to. Maybe she thought she was capable at the time she said it, only to realise the truth on her way (back?) to work.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #74 on: 24 Apr 2019, 00:44 »

Personally, I don't read it that way. The way Claire and Marten both look concerned as she's leaving, I read it as an excuse to get away.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #75 on: 24 Apr 2019, 01:08 »

I don't think it's an issue of Faye being dishonest.

You really think so?

Marten: She wants us all to come out for drinks tonight. How about I offer our place instead?

Dishonest answer:

Faye: No, no, it's fine. I can handle bein' in a bar.

Honest answer:

Faye: No, no, it's fine, but I may need some help with this.

It seems so out of character for her to decide to hide this from Marten, of all people.

Sometimes, you just don't want to be the party killer, or the one who always need some help, or simply you don't want the attention focused on you.
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

Meander

• Emoticontraindication
« Reply #76 on: 24 Apr 2019, 03:28 »

Serious discussion aside...Bubbles' fitnesswear has been getting skimpier. This is a pleasing development.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #77 on: 24 Apr 2019, 04:09 »

I give up.

cybersmurf

« Reply #78 on: 24 Apr 2019, 04:18 »

Welcome to the human condition. As obvious as it is, nobody ever gets it.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #79 on: 24 Apr 2019, 05:00 »

At what point was it supposed to be 'honest'? However it is also not a malicious act on Faye's part. So, really, there is nothing to debate because whether or not she is being honest isn't the issue here. The issue is her very real fear and confronting this challenge.

The lie itself wasn't malicious. But an alcoholic is a liar by nature and lying is a dangerous relapse trigger, simply because the liar feels guilty afterwards. And in Faye's case, she's lying because she clearly wants to support one of her oldest friends and telling her best friend that she's okay with being in a place with all that temptation.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #80 on: 24 Apr 2019, 05:09 »

I'm confident that Faye's friends, and especially Bubbles and Marten, who are very aware of the situation, will help her keep on track.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #81 on: 24 Apr 2019, 05:29 »

I'm confident that Faye's friends, and especially Bubbles and Marten, who are very aware of the situation, will help her keep on track.

That's just it, you're always going to be strong when you have people around you, because you can always use them to distract you from that urge to drink. But what about those times when Faye is alone with her own thoughts. Suddenly she's having to resist that temptation all by herself and that's a lot harder to do on your own.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #82 on: 24 Apr 2019, 05:45 »

That's just it, you're always going to be strong when you have people around you, because you can always use them to distract you from that urge to drink. But what about those times when Faye is alone with her own thoughts. Suddenly she's having to resist that temptation all by herself and that's a lot harder to do on your own.

Sure, but that's hardly something new.

BenRG

• coprophage
« Reply #83 on: 24 Apr 2019, 05:49 »

Sure, but that's hardly something new.

Faye did nearly break the first night after she was released from hospital. She had to destroy her secret stash without anyone's support as it was the middle of the night. So, being alone with booze is something that she faced before but, IIRC, it was a physically painful experience for her so I can't blame her for not wanting to face that again.
~~~~

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #84 on: 24 Apr 2019, 06:06 »

What I'm really waiting for: Was Cosmo's owner found or not? That cliffhanger is killing me...

Mr Intrepid

« Reply #85 on: 24 Apr 2019, 06:55 »

What I'm really waiting for: Was Cosmo's owner found or not? That cliffhanger is killing me...
  Dora and Tai were both involved with the finding of Cosmo.  Maybe he could be the ringbearer?

Gawdwin

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #86 on: 24 Apr 2019, 09:30 »

I registered just to comment on what a beautiful partner bubbles is and I hope everyone out there finds such a loving and supporting partner.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #87 on: 24 Apr 2019, 11:05 »

Welcome, new person who is absolutely right!

Bubbles combines passionate loyalty with a sense of humor which is a rare and wonderful combination.
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

Thrillho

• Global Moderator
  • Awakened
  • Tall. Beets.
« Reply #88 on: 24 Apr 2019, 11:59 »

After having spent some months teetotal, and now being largely abstinent or moderate, I have really noticed that I have lost whatever tolerance for drunks I possessed.  It doesn't matter whether they're angry, happy, or affectionate drunks, now they're all just really fucking annoying.

I have a similar issue. I just sit there thinking 'you do this to yourself by choice. And it costs you so much money.'

I never said it was malicious, just that she was dishonest to Marten.

I'm getting a lot of disagreement on that point from people who apparently think there is nothing to debate.  :psyduck:

The belief that honesty is 100% always the best policy I think is the result of generations' worth of kids' media making it seem like that's true.

It definitely isn't. Faye said an untrue thing, you are right. She also said it for all the right reasons. You are, as my partners often say, in violent agreement with each other.

Serious discussion aside...Bubbles' fitnesswear has been getting skimpier. This is a pleasing development.

Yeah, no more of this.
In the end, the thing people will remember is kindness.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #89 on: 24 Apr 2019, 15:02 »

Now that the concept of getting married is no longer ignorable, are Faye and Bubbles going to have a talk about where they are in their relationship?
Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

cybersmurf

« Reply #90 on: 24 Apr 2019, 16:27 »

Now that the concept of getting married is no longer ignorable, are Faye and Bubbles going to have a talk about where they are in their relationship?

At an early stage. It's new to both of them, and probably not that common generally. IMO it's OK to defer that talk. Or maybe it doesn't matter.

Tova

• coprophage
« Reply #91 on: 24 Apr 2019, 16:54 »

Welcome to the human condition. As obvious as it is, nobody ever gets it.

I'm sure I've misunderstood a whole bunch of people in my time here, so I can deal with it.

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #92 on: 24 Apr 2019, 17:38 »

Related: is human/robot marriage even legal?

TheEvilDog

« Reply #93 on: 24 Apr 2019, 17:44 »

Possibly, but the worst time to talk about marriage is when someone has just gotten engaged because it feels like there's pressure, even if none is tended.

I have no doubt that Faye and Bubbles will have the conversation at some stage, but not right now. Right now, Tai and Dora are up in the air and while there are subtle clues that there is something to celebrate, there is nothing concrete yet. And I think that Bubbles and Faye having that conversation now would just be retreading ground we've just covered.

mcguganator

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #94 on: 24 Apr 2019, 18:57 »

I just had a terrifying thought about a possible direction this arc is headed...

Imagine if everyone (except Faye) has had a number of drinks at the bar, and Faye has a change of mind/moment of weakness/whatever you want to call it and asks for a drink (instead of asking Bubbles to leave).
Presumably everyone else is too drunk or preoccupied with something else to notice this happening.
This puts Bubbles in a really tough spot of either trying to convince Faye otherwise, or stop her by force.
Results in a difficult conversation later that night/next morning either way.

Hopefully there's a more positive resolution!

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #95 on: 24 Apr 2019, 20:02 »

Comic!

Yep, that's our crew.
"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #96 on: 24 Apr 2019, 20:37 »

YAAAAY!

chason

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #97 on: 24 Apr 2019, 20:46 »

I have a similar issue. I just sit there thinking 'you do this to yourself by choice. And it costs you so much money.'

Well, yeah. For most people it is fun

Mr Intrepid

« Reply #98 on: 24 Apr 2019, 20:50 »

Related: is human/robot marriage even legal?
[/quote Momo, I believe, mentioned constitutional amendment guaranteeing AIs equal protection.
 So, my guess is yes.
And Faye's sister's girlfriend could write a paper on it.]

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #99 on: 24 Apr 2019, 21:07 »

Seems like the author is being a bit hard on his cast.  Dora and Tai never stated whether they got engaged or not on the phone so it wasn't out of the realm of possibilties. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up