THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Mar 2024, 21:22
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Best Laid Plans: What will happen this week?

The Wedding Overshadows All.
- 8 (21.1%)
Faye has a stumble.
- 7 (18.4%)
Claire finds out she barely passed her exams.
- 1 (2.6%)
Hannelore comes back!
- 12 (31.6%)
Purple Monkey Dishwashers!
- 1 (2.6%)
A week of nothing but Steve eating cereal.
- 3 (7.9%)
Something Completely Different.
- 6 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3991-3995 (29 April - 3 May 2019)  (Read 35906 times)

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
Re: WCDT Strips 3991-3995 (29 April - 3 May 2019)
« Reply #150 on: 03 May 2019, 05:43 »

A truck therapist would need 4WD to explore the swamp of Sven's subconscious.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

cybersmurf

• Bling blang blong blung
« Reply #151 on: 03 May 2019, 05:45 »

It's also possible that musicians and bars are entangled.

Actually pretty sure about that one, come to think of it ...

With Brun there the bar most likely is the Revelation, but is it the same as the Birthday Karaoke event?
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

Marco

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Not quite an earthling
« Reply #152 on: 03 May 2019, 05:46 »

"My girlfriend and my truck both left me... then they hooked up."
Needs to be punchier. "My girlfriend left me - for my truck."
The weird part is that the idea isn't even completely original. There's a brazilian country song called "Fuscão Preto" (Black Beetle) where a guy founds out his girlfriend downtown, drinkin'n'smokin' in a black Wolkswagen. Now that I think of it, the song never states that there is a human driving the Beetle...
« Last Edit: 03 May 2019, 06:36 by Marco »

Marco

• Obscure cultural reference
  • Not quite an earthling
« Reply #153 on: 03 May 2019, 07:28 »

Also, human-machine relatioships are not a novelty for Sven: he wrote "She's Pretty (But She ain't no John Deere)"

https://questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=1073

Knowing that most of his songs are based on personal experiences, I wonder if that's the case with this one...

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #154 on: 03 May 2019, 07:31 »

Well, that changed quickly.  Glad to see it, though. :D
My thought as well. We went from "I SAID I'M NOT DEALING WITH YOU" straight to the end of a friendly catching-up conversation. I think I have whiplash now.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

MarigoldSkye

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #155 on: 03 May 2019, 10:08 »

Well, that changed quickly.  Glad to see it, though. :D
My thought as well. We went from "I SAID I'M NOT DEALING WITH YOU" straight to the end of a friendly catching-up conversation. I think I have whiplash now.

Yea, kinda felt like a scene went missing there...

OldGoat

• Give me heresy, or give me death.
« Reply #156 on: 03 May 2019, 11:13 »

Wonder if Bubbles notices Faye being upset, comes over, and asks  "Is this man bothering you?"

And Sven faints dead runs away.
like a bat outta hell.

Fixed it for you.  ;)

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
« Reply #157 on: 03 May 2019, 11:17 »

He'll be gone when the morning comes?
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #158 on: 03 May 2019, 12:07 »

He'll be gone when the morning comes?
A’yup, lease paid off, accounts cleared out, already three counties over and still acceleratin’…
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #159 on: 03 May 2019, 13:24 »

But when the day is done...
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

DSL

• Older than Moses
    • Don Lee Cartoons
« Reply #160 on: 03 May 2019, 13:24 »

Human-machine relationships are no stranger to country music, IRW. Any subtext interpretation here is arrived at independently of the one in my head.
"We are who we pretend to be. So we had better be careful who we pretend to be."  -- Kurt Vonnegut.

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #161 on: 05 May 2019, 02:32 »

So, I've just tasted a beer that describes itself as "American IPA."

I understand the adverse reaction to IPA here now. Yikes.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #162 on: 05 May 2019, 04:50 »

Ah, yes, “American IPA” is a category all it’s own; there has been a trend in recent years for US microbreweries to compete with each other to brew the hoppiest beer they can and they are now even at the point of advertising the variety and flavour of their hops in favour of the actual beer which is amazing to me. And horrifying since the original IPAs were specifically brewed so that the hops didn’t overpower the beer flavour, since the point was to prevent the beer spoiling on the long trip to India, rather than to create a new flavour, so these guys are effectively adding more and more antiseptic to their product for no other reason than because they can; I seriously worry for the long term health of the persistent imbiber’s gut flora.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

cesium133

• Preventing third impact
  • Has a fucked-up browser history
    • Cesium Comics
« Reply #163 on: 05 May 2019, 06:31 »

One explanation I've heard for American IPAs is that since most U.S. microbreweries came from amateur brewers becoming professional (prior to 1978 it was illegal to home-brew beer), many inexperienced brewers started with IPAs because if they screwed something up in the brewing process they could put so many hops in it that nobody would be able to tell that the beer tasted bad. All they would taste was the hops.

Don't know how true that explanation is, but it makes some sense.
The nerdy comic I update sometimes: Cesium Comics

Unofficial character tag thingy for QC

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #164 on: 05 May 2019, 07:04 »

I don't usually brew IPA, but I went to have a look at my recipe catalogue. American IPA recipes come in at thrice the bitterness of Belgian IPA. The only thing they seem to have in common in experience, is the colour. British IPA seems to be somewhere in the middle between the two.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

oddtail

« Reply #165 on: 05 May 2019, 09:12 »

This explains so much. I do not associate IPAs with heavy bitterness. Reading that IPAs are super-hoppy and extremely bitter, I was wondering whether my taste buds are dead, or whether American beers *other* than IPAs have no hint of bitterness at all, making IPAs seem very bitter in comparison...

OldGoat

« Reply #166 on: 05 May 2019, 20:44 »

I seriously worry for the long term health of the persistent imbiber’s gut flora.
"Shut up, Liver.  You're fine."

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #167 on: 05 May 2019, 21:12 »

Ah, yes, “American IPA” is a category all it’s own; there has been a trend in recent years for US microbreweries to compete with each other to brew the hoppiest beer they can and they are now even at the point of advertising the variety and flavour of their hops in favour of the actual beer which is amazing to me. And horrifying since the original IPAs were specifically brewed so that the hops didn’t overpower the beer flavour, since the point was to prevent the beer spoiling on the long trip to India, rather than to create a new flavour, so these guys are effectively adding more and more antiseptic to their product for no other reason than because they can; I seriously worry for the long term health of the persistent imbiber’s gut flora.

I totally lost your train of thought there, until I got to the end where I guess you’re saying chronic alcohol is bad for gut flora? Which I guess is true, it’s not the first thing I think of when I worry about persistent imbibers, and it’s not just (or even particularly) IPAs, but otherwise yeeeah?
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #168 on: 05 May 2019, 22:46 »

I think Mr. Rose's concern is that the extra hops added to the original IPAs acted as a "disinfectant" to prevent the beer going bad on the long sea-voyage from the UK to India, and that modern American IPAs have even more hops, or "disinfectant", that might poison the drinker's gut flora bacteria. I do not know about the action of hops in IPAs, or whether their action is a "disinfectant" that might affect drinkers' gut flora, so I cannot judge his argument.

Can a 2.5m tall, red, statuesque battle-bot really sidle? Sneaking isn't really Bubbles's style. Or is it Sven who's supposed to be sidling? And did Jeph forget the whites of Bubbles's eyes in the second panel?
« Last Edit: 05 May 2019, 22:51 by Akima »
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Penquin47

• Psychopath in a hockey mask
« Reply #169 on: 05 May 2019, 23:43 »

Sven's the sidler.  He approached Bubbles to thank her for her service.

Scarlet Manuka

• Bizarre cantaloupe phobia
« Reply #170 on: 06 May 2019, 00:51 »

And did Jeph forget the whites of Bubbles's eyes in the second panel?
No, it's an art style he uses for effect (note that Sven's eyes are the same); see here or here or here for some recent examples.

OldGoat

« Reply #171 on: 06 May 2019, 21:19 »

Can a 2.5m tall, red, statuesque battle-bot really sidle? Sneaking isn't really Bubbles's style. Or is it Sven who's supposed to be sidling? And did Jeph forget the whites of Bubbles's eyes in the second panel?
She can if she wants to, if her training was anything like that of a former US Army Ranger I had the pleasure of working with.  While not quite a big as Bubbs he could blend into the shadows and slither on his belly like a reptile if it suited his purposes.  Bubbles has several arrows in her quiver.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #172 on: 07 May 2019, 06:54 »

And did Jeph forget the whites of Bubbles's eyes in the second panel?
No, it's an art style he uses for effect (note that Sven's eyes are the same); see here or here or here for some recent examples.

I audibly gasped when I saw that frame, 'cos it's how I draw eyes in whatever wee strips I sometimes do!
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up