THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Mar 2024, 04:24
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Best Laid Plans: What will happen this week?

The Wedding Overshadows All.
- 8 (21.1%)
Faye has a stumble.
- 7 (18.4%)
Claire finds out she barely passed her exams.
- 1 (2.6%)
Hannelore comes back!
- 12 (31.6%)
Purple Monkey Dishwashers!
- 1 (2.6%)
A week of nothing but Steve eating cereal.
- 3 (7.9%)
Something Completely Different.
- 6 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 36

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: WCDT Strips 3991-3995 (29 April - 3 May 2019)  (Read 35951 times)

OldGoat

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Give me heresy, or give me death.
Re: WCDT Strips 3991-3995 (29 April - 3 May 2019)
« Reply #50 on: 29 Apr 2019, 22:14 »

Of course that's Brun. 

The 1890s dress code probably doesn't apply until after 5:00.

Is it cold in here?

• Administrator
  • Awakened
  • He/him/his pronouns
« Reply #51 on: 29 Apr 2019, 22:21 »

Thank you, Dr. Karikó.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #52 on: 29 Apr 2019, 23:23 »

This is probably a consequence of not drinking very much but I don't get the punchline beyond a vague awareness of 'real ale' snobbery that Jeph is referencing and criticising.

Meanwhile, I think that Jeph is aware of the debate amongst his readers about Faye's behaviour. As I suspected, it's basically her desire not to be the one who "spoils everyone else's fun" because of her own situation. It is somewhat indicative of both her essentially generous nature but also, unfortunately, of her low self-esteem and her belief that she doesn't deserve consideration.
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

Mr_Rose

• Duck attack survivor
  • Head Canon arms dealer
« Reply #53 on: 29 Apr 2019, 23:45 »

This is probably a consequence of not drinking very much but I don't get the punchline beyond a vague awareness of 'real ale' snobbery that Jeph is referencing and criticising.
It doesn’t have anything to do with ‘real ale’ – IPAs predate the concept by about a century. It has far more to do with the quantity of hops used, which is “all of them”, giving the stuff a strong astringent flavour like washing your hands in lye soap and white wine then licking them.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question." - Charles Babbage

Mr. Doctor

• Scrabble hacker
  • X-Ray Rod
« Reply #54 on: 30 Apr 2019, 00:06 »

Eh... I really like them. Can’t take more than 3 in a row though. It fills me up too much. Like eating a large meal.

cybersmurf

« Reply #55 on: 30 Apr 2019, 00:52 »

more hops means longer shelf life, better suited for the sea voyage to India. hence the name India Pale Ale.
I solemnly swear I'm up to no good.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #56 on: 30 Apr 2019, 01:15 »

So Bubbles doesn't always see unicorns or winged horses. Sometimes, it's a guy urinating...

Now, I wonder what Melon saw back then...
"Courage is freedom and freedom is happiness" --Thucydides

cybersmurf

« Reply #57 on: 30 Apr 2019, 01:24 »

To a degree, it feels like Melon ia chasing a near death experience.
My guess is, the drain cleaner gave what other people might classify as bad trip, only Melon likes it. Look at what she does for work - but what does she actually do, though?

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #58 on: 30 Apr 2019, 01:32 »

There's no accounting for taste, I guess.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

cybersmurf

« Reply #59 on: 30 Apr 2019, 01:41 »

IPAs, Melon, or both?

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #60 on: 30 Apr 2019, 02:17 »

To a degree, it feels like Melon ia chasing a near death experience.
My guess is, the drain cleaner gave what other people might classify as bad trip, only Melon likes it. Look at what she does for work - but what does she actually do, though?

I don't know either what she does, but she likes it. And Roko seems to be completely unaware of what Melon does for a living.

And I found some indication about what she sees when she smells some strange chemicals...
« Last Edit: 30 Apr 2019, 02:23 by traroth »

Tova

• coprophage
  • Defender of the Terrible Denizens of QC
« Reply #61 on: 30 Apr 2019, 02:39 »

IPAs, Melon, or both?

Please note: that phrase means, "Personal preference is beyond criticism."

It does not specifically mean, "I think that person has terrible taste." In case that's what you thought I was saying.

What I'm really saying is I don't see the point in criticising people who like IPAs. Or screaming while covered in vermin.

I personally think that IPAs are fine. Not my favourite, not what I usually buy, but if someone shouted me one, I'd happily drink it.
Yet the lies of Melkor, the mighty and the accursed, Morgoth Bauglir, the Power of Terror and of Hate, sowed in the hearts of Elves and Men are a seed that does not die and cannot be destroyed; and ever and anon it sprouts anew, and will bear dark fruit even unto the latest days. (Silmarillion 255)

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #62 on: 30 Apr 2019, 04:12 »

IPA's have their time and place. A hot summer's day, for instance. Just like most other ales and beers have their own place.  Given a choice, though, give me a Belgian red amber.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Tai Fanboi

• Balloon animal serial killer
    • DeadWinter
« Reply #63 on: 30 Apr 2019, 04:43 »

I'm lost on beer conversations.  Most beers give me a migraine on my 2nd or 3rd one.  It's why I stick to my "cheap and crappy" Pabst Blue Ribbon.  Most of my drinking buddies are beer snobs and usually feel the need to make a joke or two about my beverage of choice.  But I sit there happily with it knowing my six pack of pint cans was $5.99 while they paid god knows what for theirs.  Plus since my beer is mostly water I can drink a 12 pack in a night, go to bed, wake up and go to work with no ill effects :D

Just have to remember not to add in Rye whiskey.  That stuff I can be a little snobbish about myself lol
Oh god, I should've drunk more so I wouldn't remember that.

oddtail

« Reply #64 on: 30 Apr 2019, 05:10 »

I wasn't aware IPAs had a reputation for being... not good? To be honest, I still don't understand the point. Aren't they just a kind of beer, and therefore can wildly vary in quality?

Some of my favourite beers were IPAs. I'm not a beer connoisseur or anything, but I drink beer on occasion. Apparently, I drink the... wrong kinds of beer?

dutchrvl

« Reply #65 on: 30 Apr 2019, 05:20 »

I wasn't aware IPAs had a reputation for being... not good? To be honest, I still don't understand the point. Aren't they just a kind of beer, and therefore can wildly vary in quality?

Some of my favourite beers were IPAs. I'm not a beer connoisseur or anything, but I drink beer on occasion. Apparently, I drink the... wrong kinds of beer?

I don't think they have a reputation for being not good, I think it's more referring to IPAs having become all the rage in the past 5-10 years (seriously, 15-20 years ago you really didn't have that many of them), despite many people who don't quite get the appeal of them.
I am one of them. I really like beer in general, lagers, stout, porter, wheat, etc. However, pale ales, and IPAs in particular, I just don't find appealing, not in taste, and definitely not in smell.

traroth

• Vagina Manifesto
« Reply #66 on: 30 Apr 2019, 06:02 »

Since almost all breweries in my native Alsace, which once was a major land of beer, were bought by Heineken (Ancre, Fischer, Adelsoffen, Mutzig) and Carlsberg (Kronenbourg), I drink belgian abbey beer, like Grimbergen, Affligem or Leffe, or alsatian Meteor (the last survivor of globalization, which is hard to find) whenever I find some (especially Wendelinus abbey beer). I also like Hoegaarden (also belgian).
« Last Edit: 30 Apr 2019, 06:15 by traroth »

TheEvilDog

« Reply #67 on: 30 Apr 2019, 06:07 »

Just something to remember about beer, even internationally recognised brands are going to be a differing quality based on their markets. Locally sourced hops, water and other ingredients are going to have an impact on the overall quality, flavour and taste, as will how its stored. What tastes good in one country might taste like crap in another.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #68 on: 30 Apr 2019, 06:39 »

Water is actually a key ingredient when it comes to transplanting breweries. Most of the rest you can replicate, even if some yeasts are markedly different when cultivated. Water, though, in the amounts you need it, can be costly to adjust.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

cybersmurf

« Reply #69 on: 30 Apr 2019, 06:42 »

IPAs, Melon, or both?

Please note: that phrase means, "Personal preference is beyond criticism."

It does not specifically mean, "I think that person has terrible taste." In case that's what you thought I was saying.

What I'm really saying is I don't see the point in criticising people who like IPAs. Or screaming while covered in vermin.

I personally think that IPAs are fine. Not my favourite, not what I usually buy, but if someone shouted me one, I'd happily drink it.

I meant to inquire context, so the answer I was looking for is probably "generally, and both to be specific".

With the rise of craft beers they revived some uncommon brewing styles, including IPAs. They do have their place, but my go-to style still is "Märzen" (I think that's Lager, basically).

Emperor Norton

• I'm Randy! I'm eternal!
  • Emperor of the United States, Protector of Mexico
« Reply #70 on: 30 Apr 2019, 06:44 »

IPAs are fine. Not my favorite, but don't dislike them either. They do have the reputation of being the "dude" beer style though.

I prefer like local sour ales or goses, and if I'm somewhere that doesn't have small brewery stuff, I go with a wheat bear like a Weihenstephaner or Hoegaarden.

cybersmurf

« Reply #71 on: 30 Apr 2019, 06:49 »

IPAs have a certain hipster reputation, I think.

OldGoat

« Reply #72 on: 30 Apr 2019, 07:04 »

I LOVE liquid bread beer.  Roko?  Care to join me?

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #73 on: 30 Apr 2019, 07:35 »

Oh damn... SHOTS FIRED!
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

cybersmurf

« Reply #74 on: 30 Apr 2019, 07:37 »

Oh damn... SHOTS FIRED!

What kinds of shots? Vodka? Tequila?

Torlek

• Higher than Ol' Scratch
  • When in doubt, throw an FFT at it.
« Reply #75 on: 30 Apr 2019, 07:49 »

^This. IPAs are the hipster beer, and there seems to be a direct correlation between the skinniness of the jeans/waxiness of the beard and the amount of hops said hipster will claim they like. Those of us that like to actually taste grain in our beer "just aren't sophisticated enough to appreciate real beer" (nevermind the fact that IPAs originated from attempts to cover up the fact that the beer in question had gone bad). There's some that can actually be good (New England-style or "juicy" examples can be good with more fruit notes than pine and I'm growing fond of the "brut" trend where they use some champagne enzyme to knock down the bitter flavors while leaving the lovely scent) but most IPAs in America come from the Pacific Northwest-style which has devolved into an arms race to see who can shove the most bittering hops into their wort (I've even tried an example where they smoked the hops over peat, it was NOT a good choice).
Quis pater tibi est?

RyanPm40

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #76 on: 30 Apr 2019, 09:41 »

I love a good NH / New England IPA. But I can also see Bubbles' description as pretty accurate.

I love them most when there are some fruity/floral flavoring to it and not super high in IBU. I wouldn't even say they're really hipster anymore. College kids love them for the high alcohol content.

RyanPm40

• Not quite a lurker
« Reply #77 on: 30 Apr 2019, 09:44 »

^This. IPAs are the hipster beer, and there seems to be a direct correlation between the skinniness of the jeans/waxiness of the beard and the amount of hops said hipster will claim they like. Those of us that like to actually taste grain in our beer "just aren't sophisticated enough to appreciate real beer" (nevermind the fact that IPAs originated from attempts to cover up the fact that the beer in question had gone bad). There's some that can actually be good (New England-style or "juicy" examples can be good with more fruit notes than pine and I'm growing fond of the "brut" trend where they use some champagne enzyme to knock down the bitter flavors while leaving the lovely scent) but most IPAs in America come from the Pacific Northwest-style which has devolved into an arms race to see who can shove the most bittering hops into their wort (I've even tried an example where they smoked the hops over peat, it was NOT a good choice).

I didn't know IPAs were huge in the Pacific Northwest. Isn't a California Common the alternative that they make out there? I remember it being explained to me in a way that a Common style of beer is basically an IPL (lager) while the North east focuses on an IPA (ale).

OldGoat

« Reply #78 on: 30 Apr 2019, 11:31 »

(I've even tried an example where they smoked the hops over peat, it was NOT a good choice).
What pervert did that?  One reason for drinking beer is to clear the smoke flavors of whatever I'm grilling out to get ready for the next bite.

Akima

• WoW gold miner on break
  • ** 妇女能顶半边天 **
« Reply #79 on: 30 Apr 2019, 17:02 »

Thanks for the IPA explanations above. IPAs exist in Australia, but "beer culture" is a bit foreign to me.
"I would rather have questions that can't be answered, than answers that can't be questioned." Richard Feynman

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #80 on: 30 Apr 2019, 17:26 »

That may be the most complete and accurate description of an IPA ever.
"It's an acquired taste."

One I shall never acquire.

I can't stand any grain-based beer or ale. All of it is super bitter to me and triggers my gag reflex. Fruit beers are fine, and so is Danish honey mead, but none of the grain  stuff. Strong liquors are a mixed bag but mostly fine (certain rums, Jägermeister, Root 100, Pucker, etc are fine). And, most mixed drinks are fine, too (Seaside Sunrise is probably my favorite).

EDIT: typo fixes and bolding for emphasis

P.S. No intent of snobbery, I just can't drink them. If you like them, enjoy.
« Last Edit: 30 Apr 2019, 17:36 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Near Lurker

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #81 on: 30 Apr 2019, 19:07 »

...I mean, by definition, beer is grain-based... I guess ciders and meads sometimes turn up on the beer list, but...
After seventeen years, once again, sort of a lurker.  (he/him)

TheEvilDog

« Reply #82 on: 30 Apr 2019, 19:48 »

Marten owes me €923, €1 for every brain cell that idiot just broke.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #83 on: 30 Apr 2019, 20:15 »

...Is that sarcasm? :-D :wink:

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

shanejayell

• Duck attack survivor
    • Church of Yuri
« Reply #84 on: 30 Apr 2019, 20:26 »

Marten just figured if you acquired enough experience, you automatically level up.

I like the "Be nice to Elliot" note in the background. Brun reminder? ;)

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #85 on: 30 Apr 2019, 20:47 »

...I mean, by definition, beer is grain-based... I guess ciders and meads sometimes turn up on the beer list, but...

Tepache, also tiswin and a number of others.

EDIT: Upon further reading; 'tiswin' refers either to a corn beer or to the sacred saguaro wine of the Tohono O'odham.
Though, "fruit beer" will turn up a list of results.
« Last Edit: 30 Apr 2019, 20:56 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #86 on: 30 Apr 2019, 23:30 »

Tepache is no beer. Tiswin, yes, though to what extent maize should counted as a grain; there are other be recipes that add corn to the malt.

Fruit beers exist, but generally there made in one of two ways: either fruit is added to the malt during the mash - like Belgian Kriek - or fruit is added before fermentation. Some fruit beers are regular beer with fruit extract added after fermentation. More of a mixed drink. In every case, there is a grain base malt.

BenRG

• coprophage
  • Boldly Going From The Back Seat!
« Reply #87 on: 30 Apr 2019, 23:39 »

I've tried my best and tried to be fair to Marten but, in the end, there is only one conclusion to come to: No, Bubbles, he isn't being sarcastic. Whilst Jeph is doubtless exaggerating for comic force, Marten really thought that change was spontaneous.

So, I'm wondering if we were all wrong and the potential for Faye having an issue during the engagement party was a red herring. Could it be that we're heading to a whole new arc where Marten tries to reinvent himself for the future? It can be argued that every strip that featured him in the last 500 strips at least identified his passivity and stagnation as a character as a growing issue.

Meanwhile, I suspect that Claire has finally scrolled through all the serious choices and that she, Tai and Dora are now looking at all the options for funny theme weddings!
~~~~

They call me BenRG... But I don't know why!

cybersmurf

« Reply #88 on: 01 May 2019, 01:09 »

Yes Marten, there are changes you don't aim for consciously, but they tend to be minor. Admittedly, you get forced to make a decision. But no, if you want to change, you have to work on it.

I consider myself a patient person, but I can feel I have lost some of my patience over the years. It's probably that I expect people to know certain things, and I am disinclined to make them understand that. Or something like that.
... Crap, I might turn into a grumpy old man!

TV4Fun

« Reply #89 on: 01 May 2019, 01:23 »

I'm wondering if we were all wrong and the potential for Faye having an issue during the engagement party was a red herring. Could it be that we're heading to a whole new arc where Marten tries to reinvent himself for the future? It can be argued that every strip that featured him in the last 500 strips at least identified his passivity and stagnation as a character as a growing issue.
Right, it will happen just after we've finished the Roko dysphoria arc.

brasca

• Scrabble hacker
« Reply #90 on: 01 May 2019, 03:02 »

I like the "Be nice to Elliot" note in the background. Brun reminder? ;)

I don’t think that note is intended for Brun.  She’s nice to him.

Strange that Bubbles with all her finely tuned senses cannot detect sarcasm.

TV4Fun

« Reply #91 on: 01 May 2019, 03:09 »

trange that Bubbles with all her finely tuned senses cannot detect sarcasm.
I'm pretty sure she can.

Welu

• It was me, Austin. It was me all along.
  • Global Moderator
  • comeback tour!
  • That's a smashing blouse. FELLA!
« Reply #92 on: 01 May 2019, 03:26 »

I still struggle with this mindset. "I haven't practiced or done anything related to this skill in months except thought about wanting to be better. Isn't that enough?"

cybersmurf

« Reply #93 on: 01 May 2019, 04:19 »

Apparently Marten thought you'd solely grow through life experience. Of course life makes you the person you are, but not necessarily the person you want to be.
Being as passive as he is hasn't really hurt Marten until now, or at least not in a way he had felt the need to actively seek change.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #94 on: 01 May 2019, 04:54 »

Being as passive as he is hasn't really hurt Marten until now, or at least not in a way he had felt the need to actively seek change.

That's been a major part of Marten's arc from the beginning. Most, if not all of Marten's major changes in life have been the result of someone else enacting them.
Which has the side effect that Marten has never really worked towards anything, because its usually just fallen into his lap. And that has hurt him in its own way, he's never developed the desire to go out and take life by the horns. Its had the opposite effect, he's just this passive guy who today just looks like he's been slapped in the face with the realisation that he has to work at obtaining the life he wants.

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #95 on: 01 May 2019, 07:28 »

I have WAY too much Marten in me.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

St.Clair

• 1-800-SCABIES
  • not actually a saint
« Reply #96 on: 01 May 2019, 19:34 »

So, I'm wondering if we were all wrong and the potential for Faye having an issue during the engagement party was a red herring.

You were saying?  :laugh:

snufflebottoms

• Furry furrier
« Reply #97 on: 01 May 2019, 19:45 »

I know Sven wasn't the greatest ever or anything but like it's his sister's engagement celebration. He kind of has a right to be there.

jwhouk

• Awakened
  • The Valley of the Sun
« Reply #98 on: 01 May 2019, 20:07 »

Even probably doesn't even know about the engagement, I'd bet.

Sent from my Acer Chromebook R11 (CB5-132T / C738T / CB3-132) using Tapatalk

"Character is what you are in the Dark." - D.L. Moody
There is no joke that can be made online without someone being offended by it.
Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.
Just another Joe like 46

snufflebottoms

• Furry furrier
« Reply #99 on: 01 May 2019, 20:08 »

Possibly true. But in any case, it is just a regular place so like what is he supposed to move away? Idk
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up