THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 19 Mar 2024, 03:03
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Hilda (Netflix Original)  (Read 14324 times)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
Hilda (Netflix Original)
« on: 15 Oct 2018, 06:41 »

I binged "Hilda" on Netflix with my wife and daughter.  Very whimsical and fun show.  Like a chill version of adventure time.  Its about a little girl who lives in the wilderness with her mom and encounters Norse creatures.  She deals with trolls that are rocks during the day and alive and destructive at night, mountain sized giants, and even tiny elves that want to evict her (but she cannot see them until she fills out the proper paperwork). I believe its based on a graphic novel of the same name and written by a guy who lived in Norway for a time when he was a kid. Wondering if anyone else has watched it. My father-in-law who loathes cartoons got quite invested in it. We loved it and I think its worth checking out. 

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
Re: Hilda (Netflix Original)
« Reply #1 on: 21 Oct 2018, 02:30 »

That looks cute! I'll check it out the next time I'm mooching off of someone else's Netflix.
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #2 on: 12 Dec 2020, 09:43 »

Season 2 comes out Monday!

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

N.N. Marf

• Pneumatic ratchet pants
  • I came; I vexed; I left. Sorry.
« Reply #3 on: 12 Dec 2020, 11:51 »

is that quality of visual style consistent with the rest of the show?---often when I see promising visuals, they're only the best parts. It's very pretty. The animation shown is fairly static. The premise sounds interesting---how would you describe the story? (I don't mind spoilers---well-executed stories are good despite.)
Note: the clip is a bit jarring, especially with two staggered (different hosts; I'd emphasize bandwidth redundancy of that, too)
The glans, shaft, and testes had yet to be soldered together. (Probably due to Google.)
Quote from: Neil Young (Sixty to Zero, ¶5)
Now the jailhouse was empty
All the criminals were gone

sitnspin

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
  • Amoral lust machine
« Reply #4 on: 12 Dec 2020, 11:55 »

It's very episodic with not much of an overall story tying it together. Just various adventures Hilda goes on.

The gif isn't a a clip from the show proper.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #5 on: 12 Dec 2020, 21:29 »

The gif is from the show's opening sequence, and is slightly smoother than the actual animation (which is typical of most modern cartoon intros). Not sure if you're apart of the youtube boycott until the 13th, but here's the opening sequence:

Spoiler's below for season 1

The writing and animation quality is great. The visuals are breath taking at times, especially when mythical creatures are involved like the Tide Mice scenes and the Mara (witches that feed off and cause nightmares). The world is enchanting as Hilda and her mom live in a cabin in the woods.

(click to show/hide)

She makes a couple of friends and goes on adventures. As sitnspin said, its episodic but it builds upon itself and maintains continuity throughout. It was interesting re-watching it a second time and noticing how they tease future stories, creatures, and characters that may not show up for several episodes. So there is a bit of re-watchability to the first season. I don't know if its because of the art style or the setting, but I get some Ikea vibes at times. This makes sense since this is a Scandinavian (possibly Norwegian) setting. Its a chill time and something to watch when you want to unwind.

My favorite episode of season 1:
(click to show/hide)

And here is season 2's trailer:

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: 13 Dec 2020, 16:50 »

This show was very cute and very comfy, and I'm excited for the new season

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #7 on: 13 Dec 2020, 19:23 »

Its the equivalent of being wrapped in a comfy blanket on a couch while drinking hot cocoa and listening to calming music.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #8 on: 13 Dec 2020, 19:24 »

Its the equivalent of being wrapped in a comfy blanket on a couch while drinking hot cocoa and listening to calming music.

I did just that and lit a few candles. Truly an amazing, relaxing experience

Cornelius

• Duck attack survivor
« Reply #9 on: 14 Dec 2020, 00:28 »

It's the first series my wife and I watched together, when we moved in together. We've been looking forward to the new season.
Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul – and sings the tunes without the words – and never stops at all.

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #10 on: 09 Dec 2021, 04:54 »

Who's excited for the season/series?

a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Blue Kitty

• Twitter
« Reply #11 on: 16 Feb 2022, 04:15 »

I keep forgetting the movie is out and want to watch, but also don't want to watch it with my wife because she hasn't seen the series yet so it'll be another Trollhunters: Rise of the Titans where she's completely lost and says it's dumb cause she hadn't seen the other three series.
Pages: [1]   Go Up