THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 18 Mar 2024, 20:02
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sonic the Hedgehog movie  (Read 19065 times)

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
  • I always name them Bitey.
Sonic the Hedgehog movie
« on: 30 Apr 2019, 10:54 »

So... the trailer dropped. It's an experience, to be sure.

Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
  • Be excellent to each other, party on Dudes!
Re: Sonic the Hedgehog movie
« Reply #1 on: 30 Apr 2019, 11:24 »

So...like...what??? This is real?

Anyone else getting flashbacks of either the live action Smurf movies or Rocky and Bullwinkle with Robert De Niro?
You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

TheEvilDog

« Reply #2 on: 30 Apr 2019, 11:28 »

I'll get the matches. Someone get the petrol.

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #3 on: 30 Apr 2019, 12:00 »

I normally approve of anything involving hedgehogs… but not this.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

TheEvilDog

« Reply #4 on: 30 Apr 2019, 12:15 »

Its okay Hedgie, he's not a real hedgehog, he's just appropriating their culture. That's how bad the film is.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #5 on: 30 Apr 2019, 13:04 »

You see, there are still faint glimmers of civilization left in this barbaric slaughterhouse that was once known as humanity. Indeed that's what we provide in our own modest, humble, insignificant... oh, fuck it. - M. Gustave

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #6 on: 30 Apr 2019, 16:21 »

Its okay Hedgie, he's not a real hedgehog, he's just appropriating their culture. That's how bad the film is.

Quite true.  If he were a real hedgehog, they wouldn't be able to bugger him like this.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #7 on: 30 Apr 2019, 21:06 »

So...... Itcs another case of 'here's an orginal IP idea that we're going to slap a pre-existing IP's name on instead'. Got it.
At least he's an alien (I think) instead of retreading the tired old 'he/they came to the real world' trope.
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

pwhodges

• Admin emeritus
  • Awakened
  • I'll only say this once...
    • My home page
« Reply #8 on: 01 May 2019, 03:40 »

OK, I didn't work this out, but...

Sonic let off an EMP powerful enough to knock out electronics on the entire Pacific Northwest.

According to GoNorthwest, the area has a population of around 15 million. Bump Reveal estimates that 3,978,497 babies are born every year in the United States.

Using statistics from Bliss it is estimated that about 1 in 7 babies in the UK require a neonatal unit upon their birth. Assuming this statistic translates to the United States, this would mean that 568,365 need this treatment in the US yearly.

The United States has approximately 327.2m people living there, meaning that the Pacific Northwest holds approximately 4.5% of the US population, translating to 25,576 babies needing neonatal treatment in the area yearly.

Using Bliss's statistics again, it can be seen that the average stay in the neonatal clinic for a baby is one week. Considering there are 52 weeks in a year, this means that 1/52 of this figure are in the clinics at any one time.

This translates to 491 babies in the area where Sonic the Hedgehog immediately cuts complete power and life support to. Sonic is literally a mass baby murderer.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important."  (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?"  (from: The Eccentric Family )

TheEvilDog

« Reply #9 on: 01 May 2019, 05:05 »

I'm just having visions of this turning into another Super Mario Bros. Movie.

And that makes me want to crawl into the corner and curl into the fetal position.

Theta9

• Bling blang blong blung
  • Not even that gay.
« Reply #10 on: 01 May 2019, 07:37 »

A friend on Facebook posted:

"I've been spending all this time avoiding spoilers when what I should have been avoiding is the Sonic the Hedgehog movie trailer. Sweet Jesus."
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

Blue Kitty

• WoW gold miner on break
    • Twitter
« Reply #11 on: 01 May 2019, 07:49 »

Everyone laughed at the Detective Pikachu movie while Paramount was holding onto this. Boy they must have been sweating

TheEvilDog

« Reply #12 on: 01 May 2019, 08:40 »

Yeah, but Pikachu looks like Pikachu. This....thing isn't Sonic, its SINic. Its a crime against nature!

sitnspin

• Amoral lust machine
« Reply #13 on: 01 May 2019, 10:45 »

I have no idea what Sonic the Hedgehog is, but this trailer looked terrible on every level.
I'm a simple girl, all I want from life is to drink the blood of my enemies from their bleached hollowed skulls.
@syleegrrl

Theta9

• Not even that gay.
« Reply #14 on: 01 May 2019, 15:11 »

I have no idea what Sonic the Hedgehog is, but this trailer looked terrible on every level.
Sonic is a character from when Sega still made videogames.
stePH
--
Quote from: MC Chris
I'm not doing well, OK? Do you get that?

dutchrvl

« Reply #15 on: 02 May 2019, 05:09 »

Everyone laughed at the Detective Pikachu movie while Paramount was holding onto this. Boy they must have been sweating

The Pikachu movie at least looks like it could potentially be decently funny and some originality. This hedgehog movie....not so much...(or really not at all).

It would already have looked better (in my opinion, obviously) if they had made Sonic animated

oddtail

« Reply #16 on: 02 May 2019, 06:44 »

I'm seriously baffled by Sonic's design. It's hypnotizingly bad. I could probably make a better 3D model in Blender, and:

1) Any artistic skills I might once have had are super-rusty;
2) They never involved 3D modelling;
3) I never liked, cared about, or knew anything substantial about Sonic in the first place;
4) I suck at Blender;
5) I should not be trusted with designing a character for a major movie, with a budget and everything.
6) I'm one person, and I assume the model for the movie was made by a team. Presumably by professionals (?).

The rest of the trailer is pretty bad, but it's all usual "quick cash-in" bad (slow-motion scene that rips off that one scene from X-Men? Check. Jim Carrey? Check. Song that doesn't fit the movie at all? Checkity-check). But Sonic and the way he looks is like... I've seen better-designed creatures in mockbusters and in ill-conceived late-90s video games.

I am struggling to understand what chain of events led to this. My headcanon right now is that the graphic artists were underpaid and overworked, they threw this together as a joke, and no-one in the chain of command noticed, because Hollywood executives are kinda famously out of touch with reality. I honestly can't imagine someone creating a 3D model like this when they were not *trying* to make it look bad.

Humans in the first Toy Story movie are less eerily creepy by far, and the movie was made in early 90s, so it has an excuse.

[/rant]

EDIT: also, I've already seen a few artists on DeviantArt drawing fan art of he Sonic from the trailer. They actually gush about how great the trailer was, which seriously made my jaw drop. Plot twist: their fan art is EASILY better than the Sonic from the trailer. Much, much better.

TheEvilDog

« Reply #17 on: 02 May 2019, 08:05 »

Its not Sonic!

RedWolf4

• Duck attack survivor
  • Stop that.
« Reply #18 on: 02 May 2019, 08:34 »

Welp, That's my childhood taken out the back and executed while pleading for it's life.

*Takes a shot and just . . . stares*
Winner and reigning champion of the award for 'Best Nigh-Constant Look of Disgust and Bewilderment 2018, 2020 and 2020 Endurance Round Part 2'.

JoeCovenant

• Duck attack survivor
Covenant
A Man With Far Too Much Time On His Hands

oddtail

« Reply #20 on: 03 May 2019, 04:09 »

There are two possibilities here.

Either the terrible design was a marketing stunt and the better version was planned for the start, in which case this is the most cynical move ever, and also kinda stupid.

OR, someone decided to redo all that work half a year before the movie is done, which will put a LOT of stress and extra work (given American work culture, probably poorly compensated work) on the people who worked on the CGI/animation. And the result will poorly fit into the movie anyway, probably, because that's not a lot of time.

As I've seen someone on Twitter put it, "Hollywood has managed to make the most accurate video game adaptation ever, as Sonic's production will accurately reproduce video game development crunch".

To me, it's arguably worse than before. We're trading a shitty movie for a slightly less shitty movie and also exploitation of workers.

Gyrre

« Reply #21 on: 03 May 2019, 08:54 »

Yeah, but Pikachu looks like Pikachu. This....thing isn't Sonic, its SINic. Its a crime against nature!
All they had to do was give him something akin to ski goggles or safety glasses so the could have the classic eyeshape in his design.
I'm pretty sure that's already been done in fanart.
a real-ass gaddam sword

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #22 on: 03 May 2019, 09:12 »

All they had to do was give him something akin to ski goggles or safety glasses so the could have the classic eyeshape in his design.

I like this rendition, it at least looks closer to the original model whereas the current looks more like Mike Meyer's Cat in the Hat.

dutchrvl

« Reply #23 on: 03 May 2019, 11:14 »

I like this rendition, it at least looks closer to the original model whereas the current looks more like Mike Meyer's Cat in the Hat.

I suddenly realize what my big turn-off is in his design: he looks like a normal man in a blue furry suit, including human teeth

TheEvilDog

« Reply #24 on: 03 May 2019, 18:32 »

A friend of mine has been swearing people out for daring to criticism the film, telling them to get over and their childhoods are long over.

I stopped for a few moments and thought things over as to why I dislike this design of Sonic, and then it hit me.

Sonic the Hedgehog is one of the most iconic mascots to come out of video gaming history. He's from a period where every game had to have a mascot to advertise the game, many of whom have been forgotten or left by the wayside. He's one of the few characters who people instantly recognise and that's due to the design. Sonic hasn't really changed in nearly 30 years, now some elements get updated every couple of years, but compare an image of Sonic from 1991 to 2017 (Sonic Forces) and he hasn't changed, not really.

It doesn't seem like much, but consider that in 28 years that blue hedgehog has shifted 800 million copies of over 80 games and has earned Sega $5 billion (by 2014, that number would be higher now). You can see that something has clicked with the gaming community when it comes to Sonic.

But I think more than that, this is a film based on a video game, traditionally a combination that more often bombs than it rarely succeeds, be it commercially or critically, and I believe that people are just afraid that this is going to become another Super Mario Bros Movie.

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #25 on: 04 May 2019, 06:45 »

Quote from: C.S. Lewis
When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.
Piglet wondered how it was that every conversation with Eeyore seemed to go wrong.

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #26 on: 04 Jun 2019, 07:17 »

Someone took a classic looking sonic and replaced the terrible one in this trailer and it looks so much better!

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #27 on: 13 Feb 2020, 19:15 »

So the new Sonic movie is getting good reviews from both critics and audiences. Thats a thing.

dutchrvl

« Reply #28 on: 17 Feb 2020, 11:02 »

So the new Sonic movie is getting good reviews from both critics and audiences. Thats a thing.

I don't know about the movie itself, but the reworked Sonic looks a million times better for sure!

Pilchard123

• Older than Moses
« Reply #29 on: 20 Feb 2020, 10:03 »

I didn't think anyone actually squee'd like the bottom panel of this comic, but I did. Most of the way through.

(click to show/hide)

LeeC

• Nearly grown up
« Reply #30 on: 10 Dec 2021, 06:52 »

The sequel has dropped a trailer.

Gyrre

« Reply #31 on: 19 Jan 2022, 20:45 »

It's nice we'ee actually getting into the Sonic lore this go around.
And didn't Paramount just say f*** it and use Tail's VA from the past several years? Side-eyeing Illumination real damned hard if so.
a real-ass gaddam sword

Pages: [1]   Go Up