Fun Stuff > ENJOY

Let's nitpick some sci-fi

(1/2) > >>

LTK:
Since we were talking about The Expanse so much in the movies thread, I figured we might as well get a thread for picking nits about it and sci-fi in general, if you're so inclined.

So far, we got The Juice being a bit handwavy and the fact that There Ain't No Stealth In Space, plus:

(click to show/hide)How getting your insides cooked by a massive burst of radiation is survivable without extremely advanced, prompt, and invasive medical intervention. I'm not sure what those armbands do but I doubt they're able to completely rebuild your bone marrow from the outside.
And a few episodes into season 2 - not a nitpick, but still:

(click to show/hide)I was really disappointed that they pulled the "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory by an impulsive, emotional action by one of the characters" trope. I'm not all that surprised, with the way they shot those scenes I was just waiting for it to happen, but man, it's so cheap. I hated it in Infinity War and it's not much better here.
Alright, what shows do you like that have scientific inaccuracies you can't ignore?

cybersmurf:

--- Quote from: LTK on 07 May 2019, 13:57 ---Since we were talking about The Expanse so much in the movies thread, I figured we might as well get a thread for picking nits about it and sci-fi in general, if you're so inclined.

So far, we got The Juice being a bit handwavy and the fact that There Ain't No Stealth In Space, plus: (snip)

--- End quote ---

addendum to The Juice, including lonf shot spoiler from the latest book, released in... March I think?:

(click to show/hide)They introduce being submerged in a breathable liquid for being able to survive higher G burns unharmed. It still is quite uncomfortable, so people usually are sedated.

yes, I know breathable liquids already exist these days, that's not even the issue here. it's sold as the high tech, new and quite expensive solution here.
How I know breathable liquids exist? I'll dig up some sources in the morning, but it's supposedly used for not that nice stuff. Transition between breathing air and such liquids is rather... uncomfortable.

--- Quote ---
And a few episodes into season 2 - not a nitpick, but still:

(click to show/hide)I was really disappointed that they pulled the "snatching defeat from the jaws of victory by an impulsive, emotional action by one of the characters" trope. I'm not all that surprised, with the way they shot those scenes I was just waiting for it to happen, but man, it's so cheap. I hated it in Infinity War and it's not much better here.
--- End quote ---

help me out, what exactly do you mean? it's been a while since I saw season 2.

--- Quote ---
Alright, what shows do you like that have scientific inaccuracies you can't ignore?

--- End quote ---

what bugs me a bit is how the Epstein drive came to be.
(click to show/hide)
--- Quote ---Well, this should make the drive 5% more efficient.
--- End quote ---
5%? more like 5000%. A little tweak, and the usual drive puts out WAAAAAY more thrust, all whilst only using a fraction of the fuel?

LTK:

--- Quote from: cybersmurf on 07 May 2019, 15:43 ---help me out, what exactly do you mean? it's been a while since I saw season 2.

--- End quote ---

(click to show/hide)The part where Miller shoots the lead scientist on Spin Station in the head after Johnson makes a deal with him. First he calls Amos a trigger-happy goon and then he repeatedly has to shout down the OPA crew to stop them from shooting everyone. When he was the one to shoot the guy in cold blood, I thought, wow, way to call the kettle black, pot dipped in tar and Vantablack.

cybersmurf:
Oh, yeah, that scene.
(click to show/hide)It's weird how in this moment the roles are swapped. The OOPA would've happily killed anyone, but Miller wanted people to be interrogated, and avoid bloodshed, if only just for image/"PR" reasons. The moment they realize what they were doing there, the OPA saw a valuable asset, and Miller saw a mad scientist, devoid of any ethics. He shot that guy so nothing like that could happen again. And everyone hated him for that.

LTK:
They moved on from that more easily than I expected, so I guess it's not so bad.

Now, another nitpick! Jupiter's Great Red Spot is supposed to be gone by the time this happens.

Also, is that Adam fucking Savage?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version