THESE FORUMS NOW CLOSED (read only)

• 28 Mar 2024, 05:07
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Free Games Thread  (Read 20821 times)

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
Free Games Thread
« on: 30 May 2019, 18:06 »

Since there are SO many free game promos going on lately because of the competition between various launchers, or devs giving away older games to boost new ones in the franchise, I thought it would be appropriate to dedicate a thread to it. These are all legit cases of once you activate it, you own it situations. The thread isn't meant for permanently free-to-play, but for one-off deals on games you'd otherwise have to pay for.

As of this post, Epic Games has a new free game every week. Right now that game is City of Brass.
Become a daring thief in City of Brass, a first-person action adventure from senior BioShock developers.

Armed with scimitar and a versatile whip, you’ll lash and slash, bait and trap your way to the heart of an opulent, Arabian Nights-themed metropolis – or face certain death as time runs out.
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/city-of-brass/home
Until June 6th

On GOG, you have Obduction, a Myst-like puzzle adventure sci-fi game.
From Cyan, the indie studio that brought you Myst, comes a new sci-fi adventure.

As you walk beside the lake on a cloudy night, a curious, organic artifact falls from the starry sky and inexplicably, without asking permission, transports you across the universe. You’ve been abducted from your cozy existence and added into an alien landscape with pieces of Earth from unexpected times and places.

The strange worlds of Obduction reveal their secrets only as you explore, discover, coax, and consider their clues. As you bask in the otherworldly beauty and explore the enigmatic landscapes, remember that the choices you make will have substantial consequences. This is your story now.

Make it home.
https://www.gog.com/game/obduction
Until June 1, 1 PM UTC.
Twitch I play games and hang out with friends.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
Re: Free Games Thread
« Reply #1 on: 06 Jun 2019, 09:55 »

This week's Epic Games freebie is Kingdom: New Lands.
How long will you last?

Be brave, ruler, and fight to the bitter end,
lest these New Lands conquer you instead.

Kingdom is a minimalistic micro strategy game with modern retro aesthetics and an ambient soundtrack. Players take control of a monarch struggling to build their kingdom from nothing by exploring the world, recruit loyal subjects and defend from the nightly Greed attacks.
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/kingdom-new-lands/home
Until the 13th

Next week is Enter the Gungeon (will make full post when it's available)

Gyrre

• Born in a Nalgene bottle
« Reply #2 on: 07 Jun 2019, 07:25 »

Here's two for one
There's links for two free Dream's Bell games in the first post; the massive 50 level demo for Jack the Reaper, and the completed Rotating Agent Koko.

Jack the Reaper is a platformer in the way of Kirby and Megaman (with a difficulty between the two) where you play as a chibi grim reaper (the titular Jack).

Rotating Agent Koko (RotaKoko) is a top-down shooter where you move around by rotating the world around Koko and defeat the strange inhabitants of each micro-world.

EDIT: found a no-commentary LP for JtR. dude has playback on other websites disabled so here's this one w/ commentary instead
« Last Edit: 06 Jul 2019, 07:18 by Gyrre »
a real-ass gaddam sword
"Broken swords and dragon bones scattered on the way back home."

Too stubborn to die, just like the rest of my family.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #3 on: 14 Jun 2019, 07:09 »

Next up on Epic: Enter the Gungeon
Bullet, Guns, & Puns

Enter the Gungeon is a bullet hell dungeon crawler following a band of misfits seeking to shoot, loot, dodge roll and table-flip their way to personal absolution by reaching the legendary Gungeon’s ultimate treasure: the gun that can kill the past. Select a hero (or team up in co-op) and battle your way to the bottom of the Gungeon by surviving a challenging and evolving series of floors filled with the dangerously adorable Gundead and fearsome Gungeon bosses armed to the teeth. Gather precious loot, discover hidden secrets, and chat with opportunistic merchants and shopkeepers to purchase powerful items to gain an edge.
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/enter-the-gungeon/home
Until the 20th

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #4 on: 14 Jun 2019, 08:55 »

And on GOG: Toonstruck (1996)
Drew Blanc is a cartoon animator and the original creator of the Fluffy Fluffy Bun Bun Show.. Drew's boss, Sam Schmaltz (played by Ben Stein), sets him the task of designing more bunnies to co-star in the Fluffy Fluffy Bun Bun Show by the next morning. However, the depressed animator soon nods off, suffering from acute artist's block. He wakes early the next morning to inexplicably find his television switched on, announcing the Fluffy Fluffy Bun Bun Show. Suddenly, Drew is mysteriously drawn into the television screen and transported to an idyllic two-dimensional cartoon world populated by his own creations, among many other cartoon characters.

To get home, you'll need to unravel the secrets of these loony lands before they unravel you permanently. Outsmart demented clowns, shock the socks off cross-dressing livestock, and match wits with a diabolical Count named Nefarious. It's a mind-reeling toonatopia that'll have you acting so depraved you might even shock yourself. Send someone an exploding turkey. Watch Spike the Clown torture balloon animals. If you've got any energy left after those escapades then try and prevent an all-out war between the cartoon forces of good and evil. Word to the wise: BETTER PACK AN ANVIL!
https://www.gog.com/game/toonstruck
Until the 17th? Looks like the giveaway is part of GoG's sale right now.

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #5 on: 19 Jun 2019, 07:59 »

Indiegala gives away a lot of games too. Most of them are crud. But now they have Gateways!

Imagine a 2D Portal, only in addition to regular, run-of-the-mill portal travel, you also have portals that make you larger or smaller on traversal, portals that flip gravity when you pass through, and portals that send you forward or back in time. It's gloriously mind-shattering. Give it a try!
Quote from: snalin
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #6 on: 20 Jun 2019, 13:44 »

Epic's Game of the Week: Rebel Galaxy
Rebel Galaxy

Rebel Galaxy is a game of action-packed combat, exploration, discovery, trade, and “negotiation” with the outlandish denizens at the edge of the known universe.

You’ll battle pirates, explore anomalies, befriend aliens, scavenge battle wreckage, mine asteroids, and discover artifacts. Choose your path as a roguish do-gooder, crafty space-trader or power-hungry privateer in this swashbuckling space adventure.
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/rebel-galaxy/home
Until June 27th.
This is a fun one that I have played already. And what they don't tell you in the blurb is how amazing the soundtrack is for this game. Weirdly for a far future space game, the music is all blues/rock based stuff from some great artists in the genre, but it really fits the gritty mood of the game and play!
Here's a link to the soundtrack playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBAYW0WGKtE&list=PLRMcXkadosW43B18ZSbYFqBnFn2myQwRw

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #7 on: 23 Jun 2019, 18:39 »

On Steam for another 15 hours as of this post: Kabounce.
Kabounce™ - multiplayer pinball sport, you are the ball!

Take complete control of the ball and reach ridiculous speeds with intuitive momentum and rhythm based movement in this re-imagining of pinball. Rack up sweet combos and points by hitting bumper pins and perform spinning skill moves in short, 5 minute, matches. Eliminate opposing players to steal their hard-earned points and score to win! Up to 8 players online, 4 vs 4.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/431930/Kabounce/
Until June 24th, 10am Pacific.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #8 on: 03 Jul 2019, 12:38 »

I'm a little late on this one, but from Epic Games: Last Day of June
Join Carl and June on what begins as a magical outing to their favorite spot, and try to unlock the sequence of events that could save the day – and June’s life – in this cinematic experience that will compel you to ask yourself: “What would I do to save the one I love?”

Last Day of June is an interactive tale about love and loss, from an all-star team of creators.
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/last-day-of-june/home
Until July 4th

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #9 on: 03 Jul 2019, 13:29 »

Another IndieGala giveaway that isn't crud: Back to Bed, a surreal 3D puzzle game where you play as the subconscious guiding a sleepwalking human through the hazards of dreams.
I just got the image of a midwife and a woman giving birth swinging towards each other on a trapeze - when they meet, the midwife pulls the baby out. The knife juggler is standing on the floor and cuts the umbilical cord with a a knifethrow.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #10 on: 05 Jul 2019, 12:51 »

On Epic Games this week: Overcooked
Overcooked is a chaotic couch co-op cooking game for one to four players. Working as a team, you and your fellow chefs must prepare, cook and serve up a variety of tasty orders before the baying customers storm out in a huff. Sharpen your knives and dust off your chef’s whites, there isn’t mushroom for error and the steaks are high in these crazy kitchens!

The Onion Kingdom is in danger and only the finest cooking can save it! In Overcooked players must journey through a variety of cruel and unusual kitchens on their quest to become master chefs capable of conquering an ancient edible evil which plagues the land.
https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/overcooked/home
Until July 11th

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #11 on: 12 Sep 2019, 23:09 »

Quick response needed for this, since there's only 1.5 days left, but free from Humble Bundle:
https://www.humblebundle.com/store/endless-space-collection-free-game

Also from Epic this week, Conarium: https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/product/conarium/home

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #12 on: 13 Sep 2019, 00:16 »

I got the first one, but haven't had a chance to play it yet.  I can only manage to do a couple of games concurrently, and I just got a bunch of stuff from Humble Bundle.  still, it looks interesting.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #13 on: 20 Mar 2020, 13:22 »

2013 Edition of Tomb Raider is free through Tuesday(?) (March 24th, 2020)
https://store.steampowered.com/app/203160/Tomb_Raider/

And Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris as well
https://store.steampowered.com/app/289690/LARA_CROFT_AND_THE_TEMPLE_OF_OSIRIS/

LTK

• Methuselah's mentor
« Reply #14 on: 20 Mar 2020, 21:09 »

TorporChambre

• Emoticontraindication
  • Hannelore Enthusiast
Anyone for a quick Contract Nomic?
« Reply #15 on: 26 Mar 2020, 20:38 »

My cinemal lag is decadent
``Remember about advanced texnics and noise?
We've hit fiction from science indistinct''
~Carl-E, QC forums

hedgie

• Methuselah's mentor
  • No Pasarán!
« Reply #16 on: 23 May 2020, 08:14 »

Over on Epic Games, Civ 6 is free until 28 May.  Unfortunately, for those of us who made the mistake of installing Catalina, it's a no-go.
"The highest treason in the USA is to say Americans are not loved, no matter where they are, no matter what they are doing there." -- Vonnegut

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #17 on: 10 Jun 2020, 10:00 »

Not "free" per se, but at $5 minimum donation for over 1000 games and other digital items from itch.io, it might was well be. Money going to a good cause as well.

https://itch.io/b/520/bundle-for-racial-justice-and-equality

Rolard

• Notorious N.U.R.R.
« Reply #18 on: 19 Oct 2020, 07:56 »

Have to throw out shapez.io.  It has consumed my gaming life recently.  The "demo" version is free on the web at https://shapez.io It covers the first 20 levels of the game and additional levels are available for 5 bucks on Steam.  Best 5 bucks I've spent on a game in a long time. 

Basically a stripped down version of factorio or satisfactory.  As someone who appreciates the manufacturing gametype but is usually overwhelmed when playing it this scratches the itch super well.  Deliver shapes of the right color and shape to the hub.  Earn upgrades to belt speed etc.  Rinse repeat.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #19 on: 19 Oct 2020, 20:01 »

Can concur, great little game. And 20 levels is well deep enough into the concept for you to know if the rest of the game is for you.

And to add content to the post, might as well list what's up for Epic

This week: Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs, and Kingdom: New Lands (a repeat free game from before)

Next Week: Costume Quest 2, and Layers of Fear 2.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #20 on: 24 Nov 2020, 17:23 »

On Epic for a couple more days is Elite: Dangerous. Even if you don't really get into it, the fact that you can travel to literally billions of different stars in this game is the kind of cool thing gamers from 30 years ago could have only dreamed about.

And then starting on Thursday will be Mudrunner. One of the successor games to Spin Tires that has taken the concept of sploshing your way through the wilderness in a variety of trucks that may or may not be up to the task.

A couple of games of note that are a step above of what's usually free there. (Not that I'm complaining about the rest!)

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #21 on: 17 Dec 2020, 23:32 »

Epic Games is doing 15 free games over the next 15 days. 24-hour availability starting at I believe is 4pm UTC? I know it's 8am Pacific Standard Time for the rollover.

There's still 8.5 hours to pick up game #1: Cities: Skylines, which is a must-have city builder that is the spiritual successor to Sim City.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #22 on: 19 Dec 2020, 14:18 »

Another really good game today: The Long Dark. Amazingly detailed and intense survival game in the far frozen north of Canada.

Edit: For Dec 21st: Alien: Isolation
« Last Edit: 21 Dec 2020, 15:19 by Jimor »

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #23 on: 25 Dec 2020, 11:59 »

Darkest Dungeon is today's pick. Rogue-like turn-based battle dungeon run. I've watched it on stream a few times and looks really good. Best way for me to describe it is FTL, but as a dungeon crawl.

Jimor

• Lovecraftian nightmare
    • Twitch Channel
« Reply #24 on: 28 May 2022, 15:11 »

Bioshock: The Collection, which includes 1, 2, and Infinite, is free this week on Epic. Definitely good value on this one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up